Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The FO1 water time limit was always less oppressive to me than the FO2 "Find Karl or Modoc is gonna kill them undergrounders" time limit which is about 30 seconds longer than the minimum time it takes to run to the Den and back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Speedball posted:

I've been getting saving errors in my PS4 version of Fallout 4 for the first time. I've played that game almost every month since its release and this is the first time that's happened. I've already tried deleting every single save I have and also rebuilding the database but it still happens on occasion.

Also it looks like it just updated, the next month's worth of Creation Club?

Probably, updated on PC too. Now I get to wait for f4se to update :argh:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Get a load of this guy following the road in a 3D fallout game psh

[Ulysses loved that.]

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I've only ever used companions once, when I was being completionist and doing all of their subquests.

Every other time I give it a try it lasts exactly until dogmeat gets me killed by standing in a doorway, or danse pushes me out of cover, or any number of other physics hangups that make me send them all to a far away settlement never to be seen again.

From my one companion run I do seem to recall Curie loving to punch things, regardless of weapon status

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I liked power armor just being armor personally, when you didn't have to worry about carrying capacity getting hosed for ~reasons~ when you get in or breaking your legs when repairing it because their crafting interface is so terrible

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Speaking of lovely weapons, it's just occurred to me that through 63 levels of my current playthrough I've yet to receive a single ghoul slayer's pool cue. Those used to make up about 70% of my legendary drops, did they change something in the last year?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Gaius Marius posted:

I never really had a problem with the reloading bench. Just break down all your ammo and turn it into match rounds.

Never really had a problem with ammo enough to even bother with the reloading bench :shrug:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Wolfsheim posted:

Power armor worked terribly in F3/NV

I can't honestly ever remember using it in New Vegas or 3, didn't those require power armor training or something? I think by the time I had access to it I no longer cared for the most part. I was mostly referring to the old Fallout 1/2 days

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
On other fallout 4 topics, I recently reinstalled to play Frost since I thought that looked interesting (it wasn't), but figured as long as I'd gone through the effort I'd run through the Vault 88 and Nuka World quests since I'd quit before they came out, and I've bumped into something I can't remember: At what point are you semi-locked in with a faction? I know the "get to the reactor" mission is the actual pop-up point of no return, but can you go to someone else with the data disk from Institutionalized at proceed?

I was going to just do the brotherhood path, but have recently considered going with the Minutemen just so I'd have to murder fewer people, but I'm well past the network scanner mission, is it too late for Sturgis to tell me about the rickety screen door in the Institute's basement?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Keeshhound posted:

What "cons?" I played on very hard and wound up with over 200 cores by the midgame despite living in my armor 22/7 (give or take time spent hacking and/or crafting.) I never dipped below that appreciably, either, even after I switched to mailing a gattling laser.

It really only has cons if you don't plan on using it. If you go in thinking "power armor seems cool" and take the int perks for it there's basically no downside other than stealth

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

prometheusbound2 posted:

What's your basis for this? I'm genuinely asking. I played both Fallout 3 and Skyrim, and the only thing I can really think of that carried over was the perks system, but I don't know if that was specific to Fallout 3.

The voice actor for Belethor carried over from Fallout 3

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Soon voice acting will all be done by things like deepmind anyway

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Arcsquad12 posted:

Will Wheaton is in new Vegas. All he does is voice Mister Gutsys.

Stealin' Stephen Russell's Fallout 3/4 job

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I never played NV with too many mods, I don't know of any really "must haves" for a first playthrough. Get like jsawyer or project Nevada the next time through

e: I suppose I'd be sure to get NVAC, FNV4GB, and Mission Mojave just for stability

e2: vvv Yeah, YUP is a better choice than Mission Mojave, MM changes stuff

Azhais fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Apr 8, 2018

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Fallout 1 they were cool and good, ending even says they become a research and development house to help the wastelands. Fallout 2 retconned them to being people that just wanted to preserve tech.

Then 3+ they became increasingly militant assholes

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Weird wasteland, unarmed, fist of the north rawr

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Talking deathclaws were the best and in my canon they're still running Vault 13

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Everyone hated Mothership Zeta. Silver Shroud also gives Fallout 4 a star

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Hell, they even changed the caps thing between 1 and 2. There's a quest in Broken Hills joking about finding a huge stash of now worthless bottlecaps

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
If you're looking for a giant fan patch that ends up having a fallout but not fallout appeal, might I suggest "Wasteland 2"

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Wasteland 2, as I mentioned before, is also very Fallout. It was literally done by Chris Avellone and Obsidian. You play as the Desert Rangers in a very "This isn't Fallout, no sir, wink wink, nudge nudge" sort of way

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

I tried playing the original wasteland and i hated it, i really wanted to like it but god i just couldn't do it.Is wasteland 2 any good?

Its a very different game, and yes

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Maybe they don't like synths

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

dead comedy forums posted:

(Also any pro tips to make decent looking characters are greatly appreciated)

Can use one of the various texture replacers, in addition to the random til you get a non-potato option, i.e.

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/38788/?tab=images

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Take Paladin Danse for example, turns out he's a synth! Is the institute going to use this to their advantage in anyway? No? Do they even remember that they have a Synth plant in the Brotherhood? Probably not!

Technically speaking guys like Danse could be Railroad related. Smuggled him out of the commonwealth, joined the Brotherhood on his own. Zimmer in FO3 clearly shows that synths made it there

Not that I'm trying to justify the Institutes writing, it's bad, but at least some of those "do they even know?" type questions could be easily aimed at the Railroad's meddling

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Randaconda posted:

I never worry about xp, really, since with the DLCs there is so much available.

Yeah, I always used that mod that reduced XP gain because you'd cap out so fast

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Arcsquad12 posted:

Against my better judgement I want to install fallout 4 again with the intent of bumrushing the main plot so I can then go about being a wasteland warlord without occasionally screaming about MAH BABY. I never bought nuka world has any of the dlc ever gone down in price? Also what's a good setup of mods to fix most of the issues? I recall fallout 4 really doesn't have much of a cohesive modding scene so there's not going to be many big unified armour or weapon or gameplay compilation packs compared to Vegas.

Elianora and the Armorsmith Extended guy do a pretty good job of collecting things up for Fallout 4.

If you're just looking for cleanup or "Mods I like that don't really unbalance anything" suggestions, grab Beantown Interiors, Combat Zone Restored, Fallout 4 Enhanced Color Correction, Full Dialogue Interface, Interiors Enhanced, Quieter Settlements (if you're going to bother with them), Vivid Fallout, Truestorms (maybe, it tends to rarely be clear after you install that, maybe vivid weathers instead?), Enhanced Blood Textures, Enhanced Lights and FX, maybe the cross crit gore-verhaul if you're into that sort of thing, faster terminal displays, reverb and ambiance overhaul, and the Unofficial Fallout 4 Patch. Also a fan of see through scopes and towbie's realistic weapon sounds

That'll get things prettier, a little more atmospheric, remove some annoyances with the dialogue, add a few new places to explore, but leave it more or less untouched otherwise.

If you want to make your game creepy while you're at it slap in the Pilgrim ENB and weather mod, creepy monsters of wasteland, darker nights, immersive squeaky doors, and terrifyer.

e: Oh, and the most important mod of all: https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/5979

Azhais fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Apr 16, 2018

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Arcsquad12 posted:

That seems like a good list to start with. I figure I'll have to buy the rest of the DLC if I want to get the unofficial patch, right? Are there any mods that put a hard cap on enemy health to avoid late game bullet sponges and get things a bit closer to NV?

Pretty sure most of the overhaul type mods (including the patch) are going to require all the DLC.

As for the sponge thing I've never bothered installing one since it's never been concerning to me, but there is this:

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/14650

Lets you tweak all sorts of survival things, including incoming/outgoing damage modifiers, might be something in there.

e: I guess depending on how serious you are about it, you could install Horizon. https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/17374

But that's a massive overhaul, changes everything. Survival++, but does remove the bloated health pools in favor of everything pretty much killing everything exceedingly quickly. Combine that and pilgrim and you'll have yourself a real horror show :v:

Azhais fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Apr 16, 2018

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Zombie Squared posted:

What do you think is the most useless skill in Fallout 1/2? Repair? Science? Traps?

Traps has to be up there.

Traps is certainly up there, but it would let you get through the glow without bothering looking around for keycards, so that's something!

Repair (I think) is also really useful for getting through Mariposa

vvv Let's not pretend Doctor is all that useful either, it's not like you should have any shortage of stimpacks. I think the literal only time I've ever used Doctor is to fix the Cow in Modoc

Azhais fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Apr 16, 2018

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Leroy Dennui posted:

Also Gambling, where increasing it has no discernable effect on the minor part of the games it applies to.

Gambling is really hampered by also having a luck requirement. High luck + 100 gambling means you'll win the slot machines every single time in Fallout 2 for infinite cash. Good way to get some high end armor early if you're not inclined to just walk straight to Navarro and get the enclave power armor (and outdoorsman is useful for avoiding patrols if you do that :v:)

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
How to break every Fallout game: Pretend companions don't exist and leave their friendly firing pushing you out of covering asses at home

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Capilarean posted:

You mean they DIDN'T do that in FO4? Cause they had me fooled then.

What's amazing to me is how completely badly they did it in FO4. First brotherhood missions at level 8ish: cleanse College Square (which is fixed), and tech someplace in Far Harbor. Turn in CS, next cleanse: Far Harbor. Quest doesn't even open up til level 30 to go to FH.

Why is this so hard Bethesda?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Discendo Vox posted:

I've just reinstalled NV, and my god the jank. I saw the big post of mods in the OP of the NV thread, but it's pretty opaque and I'm really just looking for things that will make the game run smoother on my relatively weak PC. What would work for that?

I'd start with these:
https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/34832/
https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/53635/
https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/35262/
https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/51664/

The STEP project (which is all about massive overhauls so ignore most of it unless that's what you're going for) has some recommended performance related ini tweaks, so might be worth glancing at as well:

http://wiki.step-project.com/User:EssArrBee/FalloutNewVegas

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The Homemaker mod has a ton of extra building options too, including the full pre and post war Sanctuary houses so you could make a modern clean suburb if you wanted.

The trash always annoyed me too, I use "scrap everything" just so I can sweep these goddamn settlements after I take them over (just have to be super careful while doing it so you don't accidentally scrap the bunker hill obelisk or similar things, it does mean "everything"). As an added bonus some of the ugly sections of the Castle are just debris decals over perfectly nice stone walls, so other than the big holes in the outer walls you can get it looking pretty tip-top

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

I feel Miami would be underwater by this point

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Wonder of any of the games will ever make it down there in the main series - we already have our hosed up themepark but that doesn't mean there isn't plenty of other fun poo poo to poke through. Some of the enemies, like the alligator deathclaw, look like they'd be right at home down there.

Honestly the main series at this point is mostly about the NCR moving East and the Humanis Policlub moving West.

Advance the timeline another hundred years and make it some big conflict in St Louis between the NCR and Brotherhood

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Randaconda posted:

It's nexus, what are you gonna do

Picture has nothing at all to do with the mod anyway, AE is just a framework

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Liquid Communism posted:

FO:USSR would be great. I mean, it would be -very- different given the whole focus on kitsch and Americana, but you could play with the other side of the cold war terrors. Plus I'm sure there was some hot and heavy border action between China and the USSR.

The radio could feature Eduard Khil!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oavMtUWDBTM

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Everybody.

Fallout is actually nothing but Deacon. Every single character? Deacon. The super mutants? Also deacon. Gigantic scorpions? Guess what? They're also Deacon. That metal shack over there? You bet your rear end it's Deacon.

He is truly the embodiment of the Master's plan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Discendo Vox posted:

Let's talk about how lovely the forced final faction conflict element is for Fallout's writing and design.

Minutemen just have to kill the institute, no random other conflicts required!