Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Vakal posted:

Something I never got around to trying to do in F4 was building a giant tower.

Is there an invisible ceiling to the world, or can you just keep on building upwards until it just stops rendering the land beneath you?

You'd have to build quite high before you would stop rendering the ground:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdGFTPODOfw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

double nine posted:

yeah I don't get the appeal of wild wasteland in new vegas. you practically need a wiki with a list of wild wasteland things to get any mileage out of the perk.

It should have been a free perk to take. Since it doesn't add to your ability to play the game, there's no reason to waste a slot for something useful just to see a skeleton in a refrigerator.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

So long they don't do the whole different ammo types and reloading bench thing, sure. That's what kept me away from enjoying New Vegas as much as everyone else seems to.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Far Harbor and Nick Valentine were great, and I sincerely hope Fallout 76 is written more like them and less like the rest of Fallout 4.

You got it! Fallout 76 will feature hours of computer hacking simulation puzzles!

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I'm doing the brotherhood stuff in 76, and had the quest where I have to get my government ID. It's in that capitol building they just patched, so I did it with my wife who did that weeks ago.

Now it says you should be level 30 when you go in, and I'm level 66. I go through there and there's nothing pointing you to where you go to start the DMV line to get it. (This spawns a ton of feral ghouls who have numbers as names, who have been "waiting" in line.). So I check out the place, and down one hallways is probably about 50 feral ghouls at level 40-60. I throw some grenades but I'm easily overwhelmed and killed. I had to do it like 3 times to pick them all off and get their loot.

Why the gently caress would they patch this location so there's this many enemies this dense for a level 30 area?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Vault 88 sucked because those rooms were so massive, and you couldn't even connect from one to the other (at least not reasonably). Every "room" had these long hallways down train tracks if I remember right. So you had to make a whole bunch of disconnected vaults. The two times I tried to do 88, I never even finished building in the first big room.

Also, the lighting sucked, and it always looked like you were building in the dark. The lights for a normal settlement just didn't fill the area that a vault had.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Mycroft Holmes posted:

in fallout 76, is it worth it to claim workbenches? i just got the one at the steel plant and it's been kind of a hassle to keep waves of enemies off it.

I did it for the plans, and so that I did that one challenge to get me 80 atom. If you get the alert to claim it, you get two plans (one for securing it, one for defending it). Otherwise you lose it as soon as you log out.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

kater posted:

I thought the game doesn’t save bases you build? Do you make a new fridge every time you log in?

CAMPs get placed every time you login unless done other player has a CAMP there already. Then it asks you if you want to server hop, or move your CAMP for free. You can always not move it and just play without it for that session. Even if you do choose to deploy it elsewhere, it makes your camp a huge blueprint so you can, in theory, place your entire CAMP in a new location (but the ground will probably make it float or intersect or something). Our you can build your new CAMP from the parts of your old one.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

sharknado slashfic posted:

Is this game free and or have private servers yet

I bought a copy of the game for $5 off of someone in SA Mart. The other copy came with my One X, and that system was $50 off to get rid of that bundle. So I basically paid -$45.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I've never had the damage lag, but when my wife was playing tonight she had a scorched guy stuck in one of those poses they do on the map that mimics the green petrified corpses. Just sliding around after her with no animation.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Rinkles posted:

note that they replaced some of the atom rewards with items, and today's challenges are more of a hassle than they used to be

Today's daily challenges are easy though. Kill a deathclaw on Deathclaw Island, kill a chicken, claim a workshop are the three I did last night. 10 atom each.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

The best was using Cogsworth after getting that dlc for the robo workshop and turning the British butler into a huge tank with dual mini guns.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Kalessin ofSelidor posted:

Supposed to be able to get another than just Dogmeat. Think it’s like a rottweiler. Never could get the event spawn when I tried tho
https://fallout.fandom.com/wiki/Junkyard_dog

My wife bought like all the DLC for the different dogs you can get in 4. And that wasn't even with the free-if-you-earn-it Atom they have now.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Nice. Hope she had scored the season pass thing before they jacked ip the price (or deeply discounted in steam sales to bring it back to old price)

I got the DLC when the game first came out, or after some discount. I can't remember, but she played my copy of it. Xbox in either case.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

The sheepsquatch seems really easy to break it's AI. First time I killed one I stood in a barn and show it through the doorway. It never thought to go through the big barn door that was right there, just did the weak area projectile thing every once in a while, and it couldn't melee me. The second time the wife and I spotted it down a road and we kept sniping it. It would go back and forth, but never towards us until we got close enough. It's area projectile attack hardly ever touched us. We did this because it was fighting a scorchbeast, and that never went agro to us since we never shot it.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Well I mean, good. I've never heard of this game or that controversy. So now I know I don't have to check out this game! Thanks mp5!

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

They're events where you stir up "prime" animals that come to attack you in waves. If you survive it, then you get 4 "prime cuts" of meat. Every 10 you get can be turned in at the Graham cookout event.

The prime hunt events go on a few different spots on the map, and are easy, medium, hard difficulties. But right now you got the high level players doing it now because of the prime meats that can be turned into legendary script, so they're pretty easy. Plus, with the increased frequency of events happening in general, they were constantly happening last night, to the point of overlapping in one case.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

i flunked out posted:

There's 3 different tiers of Primal Cuts: Easy rewards you with 3 Prime Meats (In The Forest and Toxic Valley), Medium which rewards you with 4 Prime Meats (In the Savage Divide and The Ash Heap) and a Hard event that rewards you with 5 Prime Meats (In Cranberry Bog and The Mire). Also, they haven't increased the frequency of events yet, Primal Cuts can happen every 15 minutes and Graham's Cookout happens at the top of every hour.

Ah, it seemed like it was more frequent. I only had a few minutes between one event and the other this morning. The cookout started right in the middle of wave 1 of a prime meats event.

The real best part of it is now it only asks for 5 prime meats for 5 script, instead of 10 for 10. So if you have 8, they're not all going to waste. Plus at this point I have enough perks that I put on "Better with Salt" so the food doesn't spoil if I can't get to the cookout for one round.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Typhoon Jim posted:

meat week is like the regular grind of 76 boiled down to its essence, which is to bop around to events and beat the poo poo out of stuff so that you can try to roll the legendary that your build will depend on. I was running around with a build that was designed to die repeatedly because I always see people complaining about not having the chance to resurrect people to get their backpacks on whatever alt they have.

If you did this while standing in the water, I'm pretty sure people have shrines in your honor now.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

There is a matching outfit to go with that mask, and there’s a ritual dagger that matches it. I forget where I found mine, but I got it low level.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

If they ever added some kind of accountwide storage (so you can craft on one character for another) I would probably start a melee and throwing only alt. Just no way in hell do I want to invest so many levels to do a major point respec and no way do I want to have to relearn so many mods/plans.

This is when I ask my wife to login and give her an item to pass on to my other character. I don't know about the raider faction that might be coming out next month, but I don't want my main character doing it if so.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

Do I have to log in and kill scorched for these community reward things? Or can I just log in when its free in the shop after the community does the work?

You don't have to do anything, it's unlocked for the community.

Dr. Quarex posted:

The Ritual Mask singlehandedly gives me hope that skeletons are not played out in gaming yet

There's also a Halloween mask you can get of a pain skull if you wanted that. I think it's up on the porch of the pumpkin house.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

Do I have to log in and kill scorched for these community reward things? Or can I just log in when its free in the shop after the community does the work?

They posted today that over. 35 million scorched enemies were killed in the time period, so starting Thursday they're giving 50% at Murmur or whatever her name is for legendary script.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

If CAMPs and workshops could be saved after a user logs in for a private server (and let people sell from their shops while logged out), then it could be good. I've run a Minecraft server for goons before, this seems like that.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Another Bill posted:

Also I want to have sex with supermutants

I also want for him to have sex with super mutants.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Private servers were announced like 5 days ago, and they said you can mod them.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I'm trying to think of what's in the Atom Shop that's pay to win, and there's not much.

The fridges just help food (or the nuclear material) not break down as fast, and that's something that was already a perk. It just means you don't have to hold the item in your player's inventory for it to take effect.

Everyone seems to have purchased the scavenger robo, and that just finds junk for you. That could be the same if you built a camp at a junk extraction point, but not being limited to those locations.

The repair kits are probably the most effective. It just means you don't need that junk to repair a weapon or armor piece, and you don't need to repair it at a work bench. So it just helps you with junk and being poorly prepared (forgetting to repair before you leave a workbench).

Everything else is just camp items, skins, and emotes/photomode. You can't buy weapons or armor in the atom shop, you still can only make the armor/weapons you have look different. The outfits offer no protection.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Also, the repair kits are given to you if you're fighting with people and kill the scorchbeast queen. I've never once gotten the credit for killing the queen myself, as I still don't have that challenge unlocked. But I get like 5 basic repair kits when it dies if I put some bullets in it before it does. So they're not even outside the game, only the junk kits are. Those just break down whatever scrap you're holding and puts it in your stash box. It saves you like 5 minutes of walking to a train station or red rocket to do it yourself.

These things are less than horse armor.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

I don't think people would be buying p2w items from the cash shop with how dead the game prob is so far.

They don't exist. You can buy a paint job for a weapon, but you can't buy a weapon.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Repair kits have been in the game for as long as I've been playing, which is about 6 months, going by my Xbox Live subscription.

And if you don't like the food spoiling, take the dog food perk. My wife's character eats just the pre-war food and that, and I found the other day she was walking around with like 30 pounds of the stuff. She was picking it up faster than she used it.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

SwitchbladeKult posted:

I couldn't agree more. Creating a solution to your poorly designed mechanics then charging a premium for it is horseshit. Bethesda designed this poo poo badly, it's not fun nor engaging. Bethesda should fix it because they want to make their customers happy and hopefully attract more customers. Instead, they've decided to try to squeeze blood from a stone.

Didn't Bethesda say they were cutting off the free Atoms from the starting quests and replacing them with crafting mats vastly reducing the number of freebie Atoms you've obtain starting out?

Yeah, like 10 of the challenges (like "Go to the Overseer's Camp") will give you some building supplies now for your camp. They're like 10 challenges out of over 100, and that's not counting the daily or weekly stuff that gets changed out constantly. One of them today is "Drink a Nuka Cherry" and you get 10 atom.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Mokotow posted:

Does cooking food give better prices, or shouldn’t I bother and just sell raw?

Cooking probably makes it worth more. I know you can get easy money if you go to Point Pleasent and gather the mothman eggs, and cook them into an omelet. Or do what some people do and make as many water purifiers as you can and sell them when you want money.

SwitchbladeKult posted:

Are things bought in the Atom Shop account wide or character specific? I imagine joining a private server will force you to roll a new character.

On Xbox it's linked to your Xbox account. I have two characters and the stuff I got from the atom shop can be used by either.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I've been using my wife's character and my character, both are levels 95-97. I've been trying to earn her atom for the shop for something that's on sale. I've been going around the world, and everything in the forest and whatever that wasteland is to the north have remained at their proper levels (level 1-8 in the forest, 10-20 north). It doesn't seem to scale until you go into the savage divide, and I think the game even warns you when you start to enter that area if you're under leveled.

I do remember when we were like in the level 20 range we tried to go to the Top Of The World, as you can pick up that radio signal quickly. The level 50 super mutants made us run away though. That area is in the Savage Divide though, but you get prompted to enter it early if you get too close thanks to the radio signal that comes from that building.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Another Bill posted:

A quick Fallout 76 question: Where do I get building plans that aren't 'wooden shack' themed? Like metal walls or plastic or something more pleasing. Is that something I can find in game from a vendor, something I'll unlock eventually doing quests or something I have to buy from the Atom Shop?

Usually from the robot vendors, always with caps. But I would visit other people's camps and see if they are selling them instead. I sell all my plans for 25% of what they suggest because I'm trying to get rid of them.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

rickiep00h posted:

Didn't they used to have some floor tile sets n stuff on the shop? I coulda sworn my wife bought some when the game used this Atoms at you.

The floor sets are essentially skins for the floors, same as the wall paper they just introduced for the walls.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Yeah, the private servers thing sounds abysmal, and reddit is apparently blowing up over it. Hell, I was thinking of launching a SA Goons private server like I did for Minecraft years ago, but this is clown shoes. It doesn't save the world unless there's a Platinum Class A+++ Super User Premium logged in?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

bird with big dick posted:

I assume it’s saved, you just can’t access it?

If it did, I imagine you couldn't login to it unless a Super Happy Best Friend Member Pro logs in first. If the server logs you out if none of them are logged in, why start up the server if it would just shut back down due to the lack of the upper echelon VIP gold plus members?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

To be clear, I'm one of those stupid loving arseholes. I might play it to see this halloween event they're doing, but then I think I'm done. I will probably try it again when they do put out the Wastelanders thing, if I even have Xbox Live. My wife is pretty checked out now too, and she is pissed about this update.

I guess we may end up buying Outer Worlds day 1, which we were trying to wait for a sale to do.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Just to understand- nothing in the base game is changing? I don't play with anyone else so I don't care about private servers (or even the stash limit really)

It doesn't sound like this changes anything for me. I log in every so often, putter around and explore, maybe do a quest.

I still feel like I'm getting my $20 worth out of the game.

Yeah, base servers don't change at all. Just some players can do some new salutes to you to show off that they're better than you. Although maybe their stashes that are unlimited will be unlimited in the vanilla servers???????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Well I just looked and my Xbox Live subscription ends 10/26, and this is the only online game I play. I guess the universe is telling me something. I'm level 97 and feel like I got everything I'm going to get out of this game. I don't feel bad, because I got the Xbox One X for $50 under the other systems because this was bundled with it, and bought my wife's copy of the game for $5 out of SA Mart.