Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Vinylshadow posted:

That awkward moment when you do Vault 87 before Tranquility Lane and now Liam Neeson is alive and well in Rivet City...

I love breaking Fallout 3

Also, does anyone really ever side with the slaves in The Pitt, or do you side with Ashur and just breeze through the rest of the DLC?
I only wish I could make Midea and Wernher get the rest of the steel ingots for me

And it's a drat shame Marie is never brought up in NV or 4 - you'd think a baby that could potentially cure radiation and disease would be something you could tell the BoS
Granted, with the direction the BoS took in 4...maybe it's for the best that the Lone Wanderer kept quiet about it

Honestly, The Pitt comes darn close to being a very good dlc, what with having to choose between Warner, who is just using you and the slaves for petty revenge, and Ashur, who is far too obsessed with The Pitt having a working steel mill and has created an untenable situation in trying to stay there. Its just the ending where it really stumbles. If you side with Warner, Midea pretty much says that no one is getting food brought in and Warner is pretty much is just loafing around getting drunk and not actually doing anything, yet nothing really gets done with that and there are no gameplay effects. And if you side with Ashur, you sadly can't call Warner and/or Midea out for not having any science or medical knowledge or having any real plan post uprising, all you can say is variations of "Oh no, I can't kidnap a baby."

Darn shame too, as most of everything else is pretty solid. The Pitt had an oppressive environment far different from anything else in the game, a cool vertical layout, actual characterization for Raiders for once, and some great rewards if you put the effort into finding all the steel ingots. All it really needed was some better writing and some actual ramifications when you finish, instead of just mainly choosing if you should kill off the vendors or not mainly. Oh, and after some quick checking, yes Marie was immune to both radiation and the horrible degenerative disease found in The Pitt. Shame nothing from that ever showed up again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
One thing about House that always stuck me as kinda weird is his interaction with The Kings post-game. If you don't do anything to stop The Kings from harassing and even out right attacking NCR citizens, House silently approves and lets it continue to happen. Yet if you convince The Kings to make peace with them, House flips out, declares The Kings enemies of the state, and sends his robots to gun them down in the street to the last man. Would think that stopping attacks on your number one customer base, which would in turn increase money flowing into New Vegas and at the same time remove a reason for NCR retaliation in the future would be a good thing, but nope, House would rather wipe out the only thing keeping Freeside from collapsing into total anarchy all for daring to do something that would greatly benefit New Vegas and thus House in the long run. House has already shown that he doesn't care at all about Freeside and yet this sends him over the edge?

Also kinda found it odd that in an NCR ending Goodsprings would somehow come under NCR control and thus taxes and yet just about every other independent town doesn't. Always struck me as kinda of a petty, well every other town is doing fine, but Goodsprings will have Easy Pete and like 1 other farmer move away, oh no.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

dogstile posted:

Pretty sure its because the player 100% definitely spent some time in goodsprings and they knew they'd remember the location.

Only so much time in the ending reels.

Yeah, probably. The time crunch on the game probably led to a fair amount of ending reel stuff being cut or shorted up. Thinking about it, Westside in particular seems an odd omission, considering the major impact you can have on that settlement through a fair number of quests, especially the whole water situation they were in the middle of.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Byzantine posted:

NCR isn't supplying any of that, though. They're hostile to the Followers, they've got a theoretical genius working the nonworking power plant, and they don't patrol the roads at all on top of abandoning settlements because they're stretched too thin. Still charge those taxes though.

Not supplying that at the moment due to the whole draining war of attrition with the Legion which is something the NCR has never faced before. Plus, pretty much no place in the Mojave is being charged taxes as only Sloan, the ruins of Boulder City, and the farms are NCR non-military bases or fortifications. Also, if you talk to Jass Wilkins in Sloan, she says things are pretty safe back in the main NCR with Raiders all but wiped out and jobs, granted kinda boring ones, are easy enough to get. The big problem for the NCR is a lovely President and some self-centered military leadership, although once again, if you go out of your way, most of the most major issues can be solved. Plus, a fair number of areas can still stay independent and remain on at least ok terms with the NCR: Primm, Westside, Freeside, and the Boomers at the very least.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

SwitchbladeKult posted:

The weird thing to me is that the slide doesn't say people were unhappy with the taxes and decided to wander off into the desert, it says they were forced to do so because they couldn't afford to pay the taxes. That's the part that makes me scratch my head and question the writer's motives. I really have a hard time seeing the NCR taxing people more than they actually have. That's just so stupid, even for the worst parts of the NCR, that I can't suspend my disbelief.

Things are doubly weird where if Primm agrees to be annexed by the NCR they have some complaints about taxes but it isn't a made out to be horribly crushing and the town benefits from solid protection and increased trade traffic in return. This is even shown where Nash's store has a price increase but he gets alot more supplies as well.

Said it before but always found it weird how for some reason Goodsprings, an independent town, somehow comes under NCR control where if Primm gets any other Sheriff they stay independent at the end and don't fall under NCR control. The short dev. cycle probably factors into some endings being kinda off/several factions and towns not getting any sort of ending, like the 3 families or Westside, but the Goodsprings one always seemed a little too out of place.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Seems like Fallout 76 is just running through a checklist of factions, Supermutants, BoS, and now the Enclave. Just gotta get some super early generation Synths now. Was going to add Deathclaws but apparently they are already there, because Appalachia just happens to have every last faction and creature running around in its borders a mere 25 years out from the Great War.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Oh, and don't forget Vertibirds that look exactly like the ones in Fallout 4. Can't forget those.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Wow, just when you thought the trainwreck couldn't get any worse/better, another train comes crashing in. Just utterly amazing.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

chaosapiant posted:

I haven’t really been keeping up with F76 so I’m curious...lorewise....does it butcher the existing canon or is it harmless self insert story wise?

How do you feel about the Brotherhood of Steel, the Enclave, and Supermutants all having been around Appalachia at the same? Oh, and caps as currency, again? And Deathclaws running around as well?

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Yes, there's a lot of stuff that never gets used in NV. It's kind of just there if you want to explore but there are a lot of areas that have no hooks to draw you in and no quests or people to do anything with. The entire north east corner of the map can be forgotten about , the Aroteck Office Park is just a bunch of buildings with people aimlessly wandering them, most people probably aren't aware the sewers even exist or that there is a Westside New Vegas. You can easily get lost running around Hoover Dam looking at rooms that serve no purpose.

Likely all a victim of too much ambition, not enough time to get everything finished.

Yeah, exploring the large Golden Gecko filled Crescent Canyon below the Radscorpion filled desert south of the road between the Mojave Outpost and Nipton was really interesting. There is a never a reason to ever enter that area, but it was surprisingly detailed and even had a nice early Advanced Rad. Suit and Combat Helmet down there.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

StandardVC10 posted:

There's actually a chance for combat armor to spawn there instead of / in addition to the helmet. I remember this because I'd have to keep reloading the area until it actually showed up.

Huh, didn't know that, cool. Luckily found some good condition Combat Armor while heading up to Novac, might have been in that random shack up in the hills near the Viper ambush outside of Nipton I think? Funny how even years and years later still learning new things about this game.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Arcsquad12 posted:

Man I forgot what a loving rear end in a top hat Thomas Hildern is in New Vegas. Even if you blackmail him twice with barter checks, he still cheaps out and gives you less cash for the Vault 22 expedition than Williams gives you for rescuing Keely. And then he has the goddamn nerve to brag about his aspirations and how when he's totally in charge of OSI all those little losers who want to "learn" from the Followers will be tossed out on their asses and replaced with visionary fuckers with no morals and too much ambition. All the while mocking you as an ignorant wastelander, curling up like a little baby bitch when you threaten to call Colonel Hsu on him, and expressing irritation with people's opinions on things they don't understand (read, poo poo he doesn't personally agree with).

He's a pretty loathsome individual and I'm considering assassinating him if I can get away with it and not get noticed by the NCR.

Yeah, they did a great job of writing such a horrible, amoral rear end. He and Fantastic are two NCR personnel that I highly consider taking out in an NCR playthrough as they will obviously do more harm then good in the long term. It is interesting that he mentions that the NCR is going to have food issues in about a decade though, kind of gives the Sharecropper Farms a new kind of importance. Still not 100% sure how they ran the farms pipes through Vault 34 though, then again, always felt that quest was kind of weak, what with the whole out of nowhere "moral" choice at the reactor. If it was more obvious that the Vault 34 survivors had left that message like a few days before you showed it, vs for all you know it being left months or even years ago it would have made more sense.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Arcsquad12 posted:

Vault 34 is on the pipeline network since it's close to Lake Mead and it needed to get water from somewhere for it's swimming pool (one of the many ways that Vault-Tec hosed with 34's design to make it more cramped) so it makes sense that the radiation leak managed to seep into the main waterline. Also, considering the NCR hires morons like Fantastic, they probably didn't do a thorough job making sure that there were no leaks in the pipeline to start with. The Sharecropper Farms also have the issue with Tom Anderson deliberately sabotaging the pipe network to send more water to Westside and murdering Cpl White for looking into the incident. I feel they should have maybe linked these two quests together because they both have a similar effect on the Sharecropper Farm and it would make sense to associate the clean water flowing to Westside and the irradiated water going to the Sharecropper Farms with Anderson's sabotage.

I can't kill Fantastic, though. He's not an awful person, he's just an idiot who managed to grift a bunch of bigger idiots. He's fairly harmless so long as you fix Helios One yourself. Plus I'd love to watch that dumbass take credit for the Helios success and get promoted above Hildern.

Ahh, makes sense. Forgot that the water plant the NCR is using would be hooked up to Vault 34, hence why radiation would mix in with the NCR piping. And yeah, having The White Wash be directly after Hard Luck Blues would have really been nice. Kinda wish that there would have been repercussions to the Westside Co-Op if you stopped their water stealing though, like have their stock be greatly reduced, prices raised, and have more of the plants in their farms be dead. Then again, Westside itself is another underdeveloped area of the game, so...

And as for Fantastic, I guess it would be nice for Hildern to be knocked down a peg by him, although I wonder if Fantastic's drug withdraws will expose him sooner or later. And yeah, also forgot that they just stick him on an intercom switchboard at the Dam, and he doesn't actually have the power to do much there. Still dislike him for killing Ignacio Rivas if the Legion takes over the plant though. Although I have no idea how the Legion didn't notice his addiction to chems, considering their, harsh, stance on them?

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
True, although since stuff like cigarettes and alcohol are sometimes found in the various Legion camps, maybe the Legion on the Nevada side of the river are a bit more lax in that regard.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
The Legion really isn't all that smart, and tends to break their own rules all the time. The commander of Cottonwood Cove has cigarettes and beer in his HQ, Silus, a Centurion, expects to somehow escape his prison in the middle of one of the NCRs' largest bases and is easily tricked to give critical information, pretty much only Vulpes Inculta has any sense of competence, even if he does tend to get killed in Nipton more often then not.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

SwitchbladeKult posted:

Vulpes does decide it is totally a good idea to have a polite conversation with a gun toting stranger in the center of enemy territory after murdering everyone in a town. Yes, turn your back on said gun toting stranger and slowly walk away after threatening them. Very smart.

Yeah, if Vulpes hinted that Legion assassin, aka loot delivery, teams would endlessly hunt the player down if they attacked walking away like that would make a bit more sense from him, but no, make no mention of that. Maybe he thought that the special faction tag he is apart of, that makes most other non-NCR characters non-hostile to him, also applied to the Courier and their Eye-bot buddy. Whoops.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Arcsquad12 posted:

EDIT: Vault 11 makes me feel like poo poo. Katherine Stone was a cold woman but those fuckers deserved it.

Yeah, loved exploring that Vault for the first time and steady realizing what went down there. Vault 22 was another great one as well to explore and slowly find out how it all fell apart.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Xik posted:

smdh that this thread has fallen for that same patch note gimmick like three times already.

Atomic Shop, Atomic Shop price increases never changes...

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Arcsquad12 posted:

The minigun works just fine in New Vegas given that you can use armor piercing ammunition that negates 25 DT.

Yeah, and even standard 5mm rounds ignore 10 DT, so it can easily clean up a surprising number of enemies pretty quickly just using base ammo.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Tenzarin posted:

You get 15 exp per kill.

Bethesda, Bethesda never changes...

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Is it? I only really noticed it with Old World Blues. The rest of them seemed fine. OWB I'd find myself bashing the same lobotomite with an axe 20 times and he's still be alive.

Yeah, OWB and to a slightly lesser degree Lonesome Road really have issues with enemy health scaling. Plus with how broken the spawn rates are, fighting enemies just becomes a massive slog. Exit a building, enjoy 3-5 Lobotomites and/or Nightstalkers 5 feet from you. Heck, OWB almost makes Animal Friend a tempting perk just to remove some hostiles.

UED Special Ops fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Sep 5, 2019

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Wrr posted:

Why bother taking the gold bars when turning them into a usable currency was a big pain in the rear end and there really wasn't that much to actually spent caps on?

Doc Mitchell always gets a gold bar left next to his bed as thanks. As for the rest...

amigolupus posted:

I put all the gold bars in a bathtub with some of the t-rex figures so my character can take a bath in it. :homebrew:

This always works, add in a few dozen pre-war books and rocket souvenirs too.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
It is like war and Fallout 76 being trash, it never changes.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

stratofarius posted:

Can we talk about New Vegas here? I'm getting back into the game and would love some quest mod recommendations beyond the usual (New Vegas Bounties, etc).

Would recommend New Vegas Uncut: Outside Bets. It restores an incredible amount of stuff that was removed as expansions were released due to console limitations and really freshens things up. The other uncut mods are kinda a mixed bag, with some stuff there being cut for a reason but others, like restoring the entire Van Graff demonstration in-game cutscene when you first enter their shop is solid.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Arcsquad12 posted:

Outside Bets is hit or miss depending on if you want Benny to show up post-Fort or if you like one hit KO joke enemies like the Godzilla gecko.

The uncut series as a whole is very good, especially the stuff in Freeside. Get the individual uncut mods and merge them rather than using Freeside Open. FSO includes all the Freeside uncut mods and it is great for making the area feel more cohesive but it has compatibility issues with a lot of other mods. If you're going for a vanilla+ modded playthrough Freeside Open is great but if you're getting heavy with mods go for the individual uncut mods and merge them like I said.

Yeah, the other Outside Bets parts are mostly stuff that was cut for a reason with a few exceptions, but the main one I was talking about just re-adds in everything cutout as expansions were added, stuff like people heading to/from New Vegas stopping at the 188, House trying to reason/threaten you if you storm the Lucky 38, entire swaths of NPCs cut from various places, etc. Also, a mod to remove the color filter, like Fellout, is a must even in a low modded playthough, just so everything actually looks nice, err, at least as nice as it can look on this ancient engine that is.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Xik posted:

oh pipboy you did it again

Todd strikes again. Almost could believe that every single thing related to this cursed game is just some galaxy brain play by him to just see how far they can push things before even the most die hard zealot revolts. Also love how they even will have a Nevada Desert Ranger skin to boot. Lore, even a semblance of consistency at all? Bah, who needs that, right? Here spend money on a gesture or some wallpaper instead!

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Fallout 76, the gift that keeps on giving. Utterly amazing...

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Gynovore posted:

One thing that mildly annoyed me about New Vegas is that we are never told *why* the Courier chooses to side with whatever faction he does. Working with the NCR could be looked at as bringing safety to all, and Yes Man pretty much means you rule Vegas yourself. I can't possibly imagine what would motivate the Courier to side with the Legion.

Well, each side, outside of Yes Man, does try to convince you to the merits of their faction and why The Courier should help em out when you get around to meeting their main representatives. Plus, there are various bits of conversation, like saying you are a citizen when checking in at the Mojave Outpost, agreeing with the Legions sense of "purity" or flat out asking how best you can serve the Legion when meeting Vulpes at Nipton, that can serve as motivation as well.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Donovan Trip posted:

Well it took a full year after fallout 76 for it to happen but it's nice to see this thread return to its natural state, discussing the deep lore of New Vegas

As it should be. :colbert:

Judge Tesla posted:

Considering he has a complete madman, Lanius, as his second in command, yeah I'd question Caesar's judgement as well, tumor or no tumor.

Agreed. And in dialogue with various Legion members, while they don't directly say it, a fair few of them hint that they have some concerns of Lanius taking over one day.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

i always felt that the legion will inevitably fall apart because someone new (like lanius who is more erudite than you'd expect) will head up the legion very soon and the first idea they get to improve on things is "no more rape" which will be as well recieved by the raiding fuckos as well as you would expect

House actually predicts that The Legion will fall apart via internal conflict with a year or so after Caesar's death, although in the short term their aggression and general momentum will have things carry on as normal, but as soon as they win or lose at the Dam, that is when the rapid downward spin will begin. In general, the more observant characters in the game also note that the Legion is screwed as soon as Caesar kicks the bucket as well.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

woodenchicken posted:

Populated by teddy bears

With Garden Gnomes as raiders.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Arcsquad12 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNVetd6HEzY

So it's a typical Bethesda level of effort. Dead NPCs, no voice lines and more repetitive combat all wrapped up in an overpriced nostalgia trip.

Yep, and they even massively cut down the old areas too vs their size in 3, can't have too much content for more then the price of a full expansion after all. But hey, enjoy everyone's favorite Talon Company, who are somehow still alive after 10 years and were not wiped off the face of DC when the Brotherhood got hyper militaristic once again. But hey, tens of minutes of gameplay, and a bunch of badly written logs to read, plus two whole freebie settlers afterword, yay. Plus you can explore... (checks video again) two whole small areas.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

PinheadSlim posted:

One of my least favorite design decisions Bethesda made for Oblivion and Skyrim is unkillable "essential" NPCs. Especially how loving many of them there are, holy poo poo.

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Essential_NPCs

Same for Fallout 3, its kinda insane how many there are. Really takes the tension out of say the Super Mutant Behemoth fight outside of the GNR Building when almost every single BoS member there just gets back up after 15 seconds. Also love how one of the Rivet City weapon vendors is randomly essential as well for no good reason as well. Think only Vendertron is the only truly essential NPC in New Vegas and technically Yes Man although he just endlessly respawns instead.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Arcsquad12 posted:

By chilling with Boone and murdering enough legionaries to get him to open up about his regrets for Bitter Springs and then finish his companion quest.

Always found it weird how Booted gave 2 Boone history points, considering that you get the quest long before you ever run across Boone following the laid-out path and it is dirt simple, just pop a Stealth Boy or slap on one of the several Legion outfits scattered around Nipton and there you go. Then again, that whole quest always felt like it was missing something with how anti-climatic it is, as those Powder Gangers just run off to Trash's radioactive shack and die to the hoard of Feral's hanging around outside of it.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Katt posted:

Somewhere out there the tunnel snakes raiders rules over a small fiefdom with an iron fist.

All with fabulous hair.

Edit: Oh wow I had completely forgotten about "the kings" from NV. Completely memoryholed. And you had a robot dog. Didn't the dog change personality based on what brain you gave it?

In the ending slides for Rex, it does say how he reacts to the brain transplant, with the Legion dog's brain melding the best. However, in game the only difference is Rex getting a unique perk that greatly boosts him in some way.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Smol posted:

Think Yes Man is the only NPC in the game that you can’t kill (apart from kids).

Vendertron is also tagged essential, although outside of no-clip there is no way to actually harm the bot anyway since it is inside a totally impenetrable weapon's shed. The only reason for the essential tag is so that you always have someone to trade with/be able to get the various unique weapons for sale.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Todd has told zero lies or massive falsehoods in his entire career. Yep, good old honest Todd.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

:eyepop:

Welp, this sure is a way to ring in the New Year alright, drat. Fallout 76 is truly the gift that keeps on giving.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Wolfsheim posted:

Point Lookout is the best part of F3 by far but this is still basically true

I remember it was the ghoul vs. the brain and it was kinda funny and hinted at some longstanding civil war between a secret society that has never come up since? And there was a cool Chinese secret agent quest that started in a hotel room and a part where a guy steals part of your brain

It also completely scrapped the morality system which let it be more freeform 'gently caress around and do whatever' which played to Bethesda's strengths and meant I didnt get five evil points every time I was rude to a guy

The combat was an absolute dogshit slog but that's a problem with the entire game at high level so I don't fault Point Lookout for that

Well, the one major issue with PL is that the Tribals and Swampfolk had a special modifier/perk where they did 35 unblockable damage per hit. Issue was, this applied to the Double-Barrel Shotgun's pellets, which fired nine of em, so yeah... one blast and you are suddenly at 20% health even in T-51b Power Armor. Plus with Swampfolk being massive walls of HP and often in numbers and you are looking at a bad time. Get a mod to remove that though and PL is easily the best DLC of 3 outside of Broken Steel actually letting you continue the game after the whole Purifier assault mission. Just tons of neat set pieces, although it is a shame the map is so small.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Keith Atherton posted:

The respawning enemies in OWB were the worst

*clears out a building and exits*
Haha gently caress you here’s eight nightstalkers

The one time where Animal Friend is even a consideration...