Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I have put at least 6-10 hours into moleman hunting. My scraggly level 32 rear end has gotten like 4 pristine pails and some really cool mounted animals and the plans for a broadsider. I am also killing molemen to get their scraps to get black titanium so I can build my first set of power armor (excavator armor). As a huge Fallout fan I'd almost venture to say this is probably my favorite Fallout yet. I guess it was not great before Wastelanders but now it's a full-fledged Fallout game I can co-op with my friend.

Also I hate Beckett. He lives in my loving house, sleeps in my loving bed, plays my fuckin banjo; but charges me for booze? Can't wait to finish his quests so I can get a new ally.

Edit: dang. I read upthread and y'all really don't like FO76. It's a Fallout game. I'm fine with it. I enjoyed the responders stuff. I love reading the notes and enjoying the lore. I like using a heated powerfist to uppercut robots. Theres so much to do! I never saw the game pre-wastelanders but I guess it was bad enough to kill any goodwill that the devs are trying to currently build up. It must've been trash. I really, really enjoy it. Can't wait to finish up my work week and go back to hunting cryptids or investigating mysterious happenings. Co-op helps a ton. The goon I play with is constantly doing ridiculous poo poo which makes it more fun.

Untrustable fucked around with this message at 11:46 on May 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

The goon I play with said there is a cryptid hunter ally and I very much want that one.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Well nothing else is out that's interesting me so I'll grind until I randomly find him. I hope the SPECIAL check isn't on luck, because in 32 levels I've only put 1 point into it.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Now is a great time to build excavator power armor. The black titanium is all over the miners and you can find the lunch pails. Earlier a friend and I found a house with three legendary miner treasure monsters hanging out together. I also got a 3* lever action that shoots an extra projectile so that's cool.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

My main goal is to kill and eat every cryptid.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

It's almost impossible to land a shot on that sloth before some level 210 grinds it into a fine paste the moment it spawns. I did 3 fasnachts and I got a skull mask, a sun mask, a soldier mask, a stein case, one fasnacht flag and one fasnacht standing lantern. Pretty fun event. You don't have to do anything except walk with the robots and then get rewarded. There were tons of players there doing every other part of the mission.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I'm speccing as shotgun guy but then lever actions happened and I don't know what to do. My legendary lever action fires 2 shots at once, but it's slow, and I can't find any to break down for new receivers, barrels, etc.

My pump shotgun on the other hand is a powerhouse marksman shotgun that eats enemies way above my level with solid damage because I broke down so many I have all the stuff except for 2-3 plans.

Should I stay the course and keep making insane shotguns, or should I lean into lever action?

Also all my gun perks are in shotgun related things.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I realized I've been earning atoms since I started playing and I bought the log cabin set. Looks cool. Gonna build a little summer camp kind of thing or something. I'm thinking like a cabin or two with the communal fire pit. Just simple stuff. The rustic water wheel kinda sucks though. It doesn't spin, it just spurts water from random places.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Mr Hootington posted:

What level and number of stars is that lever? 2 shot is very good for rifleman builds.

Lever plans are 2k and can be bought in the ash heap I believe. Then you have to build and breakdown. They are fairly rare in the wild.

Both play styles are good and it is up to what you like.

I stuck to shotguns because any kind of concentrated grind to make endless lever actions to scrap would just bore me. I'm always finding different shotguns to break down and I have the plans for the combat, pump, and double barrel. Since shotgun perks are tied to strength (minus Enforcer), I can easily pivot into melee, since melee weapons are everywhere.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Mr Hootington posted:

Keep the lever. It is good to have a backup not main weapon for trash mobs and that is a good roll and gun.

Yeah I just hit 42 and that level 20 lever is still my go-to backup. It's mostly for feeling like a badass while I one-shot level 25 scorched and ghouls. Got into a rumble with a level 50 legendary 3 star savage deathclaw and it sure helped out after the shotgun broke.

Edit: This game is great. I did a quest where I had to dress up as a clown and kill a wendigo. That's hilarious if you don't consider how wendigos traditionally come into being.

Untrustable fucked around with this message at 14:41 on May 29, 2020

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Regarding the sheepsquatch quest. Understand that the very last step of that quest requires roughly 10 billion people to show up (they will). I thought I could duo it with a friend.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

After I finish all the quests for an ally do they just disappear into the land of wind and spirits? Kinda sick of Beckett and I hope that his questline is almost over.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Finally encountered a Mothman. Just 72 hours in. I didn't know the wing was important so I scrapped it. Meh. I'm just doing Beckett quests and doof-assing around my little cabins camp I set up. Speccing shotguns is great. The enforcer perk(stagger and limb crippling with shotguns) let's you punch above weight like crazy. An assaultron loses a lot of it's lethality without legs.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

At first I hated paying caps to fast travel. Then I realized it's more fun walking somewhere. You find weird poo poo. I found two skeletons; one was holding a revolver and had a pickaxe in his eye socket. The other one was presumably shot before murdering his attacker with a pickaxe. Environmental storytelling. I of course did a big thumbs up pose and took a picture with this macabre tableau.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I only started playing when a friend gifted the game to me right after Wastelanders came out. I can roam the West Virginia hills, listen to radio dramas, find strange places. Pre-wastelanders I had no urge to play a PvP-centric Fallout with little to no npcs. Post-wastelanders I can do what I always loved about Fallout games: pick a direction and start walking. You'll either find something cool or wander into an area with enemies too tough for you. When that happens you just walk a different way. You'll find irradiated miners at sites that tell a whole rear end story about the replacement of workers via machines, kicked off by a John Henry-esque man vs. machine duel between power armored miners and mining robots, dovetailing into a quest culminating in obtaining your very own set of the doomed excavator power armor. It's all very cool to me.

Also I finished Beckett's quest and it has a very good reward and a cool final mission. Question though: now that I have allowed Beckett a permanent spot at my camp, can I bring in another ally and finish their stuff and have them on the team too? I want a little settlement.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Sensenmann posted:

No. For a new ally to join your camp you'll have to scrap the previous ally item. In this case, his bar.

Bummer. At least I made him kill his own brother before I scrap his bar and bring in an astronaut to take his place.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Kalessin ofSelidor posted:

My only problem with Sofia is I’m jealous of her figure and how much better she looks than me in the nuka girl outfit.

Also one of the polls they did for the PTS folks right before Wastelanders launched asked about the desirability of having multiple allies in a camp at once. So hopefully they do that.

Sick. I hope they implement multiple allies. I want a proper post-apoc village. Currently I have three cabins and a communal fire pit along with Beckett's bar and a porta-john. I have spent so much time on building camps. Saving all those atoms for the log cabin collection was totally worth it though. The cabins are so fuckin rustic.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Mr Hootington posted:

Anyone know if you get paints or plans for the steel mill and father winter power armor helmets by breaking down those objects?

I don't remember getting the plans for the father winter power armor helmet, but it's in my workbench. Weird.

Like, I don't use power armor, but while I was building my excavator armor I noticed I could make a father winter helmet.

Also is there a way to display power armor? I'd love a power armor museum in my camp.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

A goon friend bought a quad double barrel shotgun with increased firing rate and damage. It is insane. I had him switch around some points and pump enforcer and he's tuning up every monster in Appalachia.

Murmghr or whatever his name is gave me a good roll with a 3* bloodied pump action with extra damage aiming down sights and 15% faster reloads. With all my shotgunner perks and enforcer, I am become death.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Feindfeuer posted:

It's a Quad, +50% Limb Damage and Perception. The DB Shotgun really doesn't need a fire rate increase, it's already more than fast enough which is, under normal circumstances, balanced out by the 2 round limit. What really makes it shine is the further increase of damage using the Concentrated Fire Perk on top of all the other stuff. One shoting lvl 67+ glowing Wendigos and seeing them smack against the nearest wall just doesn't get old. It's prbly not super optimized, but it's fun and good enough for pretty much all content.

This. This is the goon who was laughing like crazy while he showed me how much shoot he could do all at once with his 8 shot double barrel. It's truly majestic to see.

Back Hack posted:

Wait, I’m suppose to be selling my three weapons for 1000s of caps? I’ve just been selling them for 250 at the most.

No. Keep selling them at 250. Also add me.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Dravs posted:

I feel like i've got to the stage in this game where there is just gently caress all to do. 1 daily per day for the settlers and raiders is about it, along with using the machine to get my daily allotment of 200 bullion so when I do finally get to ally status I can actually buy something (and then wait a few weeks until I have enough bullion to buy something else)...

For a game that is so sparse once all the quests are done there really shouldn't be such a low cap on how much reputation and bullion you can get daily.

Edit: Oh yeah, and the settlers daily is bugged so I just turn up at Foundation and hand in a quest without actually doing anything...

I have 106 hours in so far and haven't even met one of the faction leaders. How long have you been playing? I wanna gauge how much more fun times I'm in for.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

necrofin posted:

Probably 2-300, really depends how much you like to get sidetracked, build, explore and lootwhore around the map.. the quests dont take too long itself (except Daquerre with her loving stupid fetch quests, and she never shuts up about the headaches.. good thing there is a mod that puts a gag on her).

Ah yeah. My main reason for playing Fallout is to meander. I wander around, spend hours building my camp. I go wander the map and find little environmental story bits that interest me. I take pictures of pumpkin house. I do the pumpkin quest. I make pumpkin grenades. I study the layout of pumpkin house. I wander it's grounds, admiring all the pumpkins. I have dreams in which I find the plans for pumpkins so I may build my own pumpkin house. I check the other players vending machines for pumpkin plans every day, every hour. Every new visitor to Appalachia with a vending machine brings with them the hope that I'll find the pumpkin plans. I painted my microwave orange, to remind me of the pumpkin robot. I only eat pumpkin pie now (in game and real life). I react violently to non-pumpkin stimulus of any kind.

Ya' know. Normal Fallout stuff.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I need more lot space. How many players max on a server? Double the available build space and budget. I found another player selling all the mole miner treasure hunter rewards for 10 caps apiece and I must put mothmen everywhere. Also did a very underwhelming quest to fix some scorch detectors.

Oh and I turned in a little pleasant valley ticket or whatever and got a western outfit with chaps. While I was checking out another players megastore other players were inviting me to teams non-stop and doing heart and "follow me" gestures. I had 3 or 4 of them just following me around. I looked it up and I guess its rare? It's just some cowboy clothes. I'ma throw it in my vending machine for 3K caps and see who really wants it.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I figured I would do the Foundation and Crater quests up to breaking into Vault 79. Fuckin...the Ra-ra quest had to be restarted 4 times due to her climbing through a vent, dropping into a room, and doing nothing. Then I got past that hurdle and the next part had the security terminal refuse to operate, so that was another restart. Finally finished it and then knocked out the last quest before siding with Foundation and now I have GOLD. Also killed a Flatwoods Monster, only 170 hours in. Still really digging this game.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

raverrn posted:

I tried playing the game but apparently it only runs if you have it on your windows install drive?

I have it on my 4th drive that is necessary because I have a Steam addiction. Works fine tho.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Hunted mole miners for like 5 hours earlier. Got a cool monkey backpack. I've finished up all the story stuff so now I just pop in occasionally to knock out dailies and work on my camp. Pretty chill game to play for an hour or two. If my buddy gets on I'm happy to just trudge around the wasteland, telling him that he must name his raider punk, and that I've named mine Gunch.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Dammit. My FO1st renews tomorrow and today I just don't get to have it? That's kinda bullshit. Can't use my scrap box or mobile tent camp thing.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

The shelters have too much space. Without displays I can't have a Fallout museum like I planned. I only need a small amount of space for workbenches and such but the rest? No clue.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

My utility room was The Church Of The Mothman. I might go back to that, but that still leaves the lobby and atrium.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

MH Knights posted:

We can't set up displays in the shelter? I was going to set up a library for my magazine and bobblehead collections. Those two things have basically eaten all of my CAMP budget :(

No displays in shelters. Probably never to be implemented if how instanced shelters were explained upthread.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I am lvl 109 and have never considered my build in any real detail. Shotgun and heavy weapons, switch out as needed. Throw on the legendary lockpick/hacking and radiation resist perks, do a shoot. It helps that all my guns explode and cripple and whatnot.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

The two "big bosses" can be killed by tagging them and letting the level 867 Fallout Lords finish them off.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

New Leaf posted:

I hope they add some more base NPCs to the game, or at least name the random ones like Settler Wanderer and Raider Punk or whatever. I like having options. Sophia is pretty fun though, I like having an awkward nerd girl watching my camp.

I call my raider punk "Gunch" and he lives in a seedy shed and sometimes he sends me to kill the Mothman. I hope they go through with the multiple allies on base thing that's been kicking around. I'd fill my fault atrium with my collected weirdos.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Roman posted:

Fallout 76 QOL stuff coming in January (will be on a PTS first)
https://fallout.bethesda.net/en/article/1jsHzIiTcouzvdxbo2wgYA/fallout-76-inside-the-vault-season-3-and-quality-of-life-update-previews

- Stash increase to 1200
- Item details will show stack weight
- New, Armor (separate from Apparel), and Food/Drink tabs in Pip-Boy
- Vending machine previews on map will display # of 1, 2, and 3 star Legendaries

gently caress yeah new armor.

Untrustable fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Dec 12, 2020

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

New board drops Wednesday and I love that poo poo. Run around, do dailies, get rewarded. 76 has flaws, but overall I absolutely adore it. I go visit Jack and get him pumpkins, or hunt cryptids, or build onto my subterranean base. Just always something to do, and the scoreboard incentevizes doing dailies and events and some of the events are cool and have rare blueprint drops to add more weird poo poo to my vault and all in all I just really like this game. The only other game getting even a fraction of my attention is Hades, which is also an amazing game.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

This one ends in March.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I always sell my chems. My mystery weight is usually power cores. I had like 15 of them in my pack for some reason. Also in 270 hours in the wasteland I had not finished any tadpole stuff to get a bigger backpack. Now that that's done, my carry limit is 345 after lifting weights. Which power armor has the best carry weight? I have a set of excavator and ultracite. Currently working on a set of X-01 (it's a bastard and a half searching nuke zones for hardened masses). I don't have blueprints for any others.

Also the war glaive fucks. I got the plan from a daily op or a Christmas gift or something and now I gotta go buy mod blueprints for it because it's so fun.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Taerkar posted:

The excavator has a 100 point carrying capacity bonus for the whole set. I think it can also get the leg mods for even more capacity.

As for the War Glaive the best mods are the fire or cold ones because that's a rather rare resistance. Fire does more but I don't really notice the damage over time effect.

Each mod changes the style of the blade btw.

Ah. That's where I'm loving up. I'm using the father winter helmet on my excavator set.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I gotta put the excavator helmet back on the excavator set. I don't think there's a set that goes with the father winter helmet tho.

Edit: I guess it's classified as T-45. Well, just gotta find the plans for the arms, legs, and torso then!

Untrustable fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Dec 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

300 hours in and just found out that combat armor, sturdy combat armor, and heavy combat armor are different sets, not just different looks. Went and bought the heavy combat set at Whitespring, which was stupid because the armor I have is all 3 star legendary stuff with cool bonuses. Guess I'll just sell it in my vending machines whoops they're all fuckin full. No one wants 35 cap armor and weapon plans?