Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Arcsquad12 posted:

Your loss. It is unplayable now without some baseline mods to fix stability issues, but once those are installed you can pretty much go hog wild.

Odd, I bought FNV about a year after release and never had stability issues. Has it gotten worse?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Internet Kraken posted:

When I played New Vegas I was resigned to the game crashing at least once every four hours or so.

The only problem I had with NV was that on a very long playthrough, when the savefile gets over 10mb, crashes would occasionally happen on autosaves. The fix is either to disable autosaves, or to tweak it so as to reset cells sooner.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I totally agree with this. I feel like the same sort of thing kind of happened with Super Mutants. When you'd encounter one in FO1, it was a terrifying experience. Very soon into FO3, you're able to pretty much deal with them with little issue. Am I just mis-remembering how dangerous they were in the first game?

I think the root problem is that FO3 was just way too easy.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

shovelbum posted:

I never played the DLCs other than HH, should I reinstall and gofer it?

Dead Money has great writing but gawd-awful gameplay. Lonesome Road has good gameplay, but ridiculously bad writing. Old World Blues has great writing (assuming you like humor) and pretty good gameplay; some of the enemies are bullet sponges, but you're given tools to cope with this. Honest Hearts has okay writing and gameplay.

quote:

I played fo3 at release but I'm playing it again because of this thread. I never got very, I kept exploring on my own and skipping ahead in the main quest, and then restarting. Tell me what level I should be for mothership zeta and I'll tell you how bad it is.

I think you can start it at 20 or so. Seriously, though, it's bad.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Yandat posted:

If I buy and play Fallout 4 for the first time, GOTY edition - should I just disable Automatron, the workshops, and Nuka-World DLC and just leave Far Harbor in?

None of those have any real impact on the game if you choose to ignore them.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Wolfsheim posted:

Not necessarily; Automatron adds the Mechanist hordes and Rust Devils to the random encounter spawn pool, which can cause some large and out of control battles when they show up in certain areas. I'm a fan of it, though.

I'm pretty sure that the robot and Rust devil raids don't begin until you start the questline. Not 100% here.

Wolfsheim posted:

I think he's asking because it is on sale (at least, on PSN it is).

It's $15 on Steam right now. At that price I'd say go for it, the price probably won't get lower until the next big game comes out.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

StashAugustine posted:

im replaying nv and looking forward to meeting caesar now that i know he's rawls from the wire

Fun fact: the VA who did Ulysses also did the Biological Research Station.

"I have walked the length and breadth of the Mohave... just waitin' for yaaaaaawwwwww seeeeeeed."

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Prostheticfoot posted:

I don't remember who suggested running right by Preston in the beginning but you may be the best goon.

If you do that, Preston says "So that's it? You're just gonna leave?"

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Psychotic Weasel posted:

It's a shame neither RAGE nor Mad Max will ever get a sequel...

edit: oh, look at that. a new page!

Eh. RAGE was fun, but it was just a shooter with some racing. It looked like an open-world game, but really it wasn't.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Katt posted:

On Fallout 4. Is the .44 revolver viable end game?

it's pretty good, especially the version Kellogg drops. Still, rifles generally outperform pistols, so you're better off putting points there unless it's a gimmick build.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

2house2fly posted:

kind of goes out the window when you see the cryolator on the way out of the vault and your character passes comment on it

The male PC is ex-military, so it kinda makes sense for him to say "oooooh sweet gun, I want it!"

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
I think the idea is that the East Coast crawled out of their Vaults 30-50 years later than the West. This makes sense because winds blow from west to east, so the East Coast was getting bathed in the country's fallout, while the West got clean-ish air from the Pacific.

This is reinforced by stuff like the Super-Duper Mart still having a lot of food. Those raiders must have discovered it only a few months ago.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

dead comedy forums posted:

I reloaded a previous save before taking eyesight for the blind and decided to get back to the main quest because I totally forgot about it and drat, I am level 16, if I knew the lucky 38 was supposed to be your homebase upon arriving on the strip I would have gotten into it ages ago

Assuming no mods, the Lucky 38 is a terrible home base because you can't fast travel there, you need to go through like 4 loading screens. I always used either the Sink from OWB, or Novac, or a player house mod.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Arcsquad12 posted:

Is there any way I can get the fallout 4 season pass for under $80 without waiting for some sale?

Probably never. Like a month ago I broke down and had a Skyrim binge, and thought of getting the DLC, but it was still full price.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
Dead Money: Great writing, horrible gameplay.
Lonesone Road: Fast and smooth gameplay, gawd-awful writing.
Old World Blues: Funny writing, great gameworld.
Honest Hearts: decent writing, ho-hum gameplay.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Riatsala posted:

Playing through NV with a new character. Someone convince me to play Honest Hearts again,

Meh. The writing is pretty good but the gameplay is done-it-all-before.

A dude posted:

You could play it the way far too many people did due to a glitch and just open fire on Follows-Chalk the first time you see him

Not a glitch so much as crappy design. At the start of Honest Hearts, you are attacked by some dudes. After that, you run into a dude who looks just like those dudes, so your first instinct is to shoot him, but gently caress you, he's plot-centric but doesn't have Plot Armor, time to reload.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Riatsala posted:

What's everyone's favorite method of gaming fallout for massive early game advantages?

FO3: do Replicated Man for a sweet plasma rifle. (good luck repairing it early in, though)
NV: 7+ Luck, sneak into Freeside, gamble at the Atomic Wrangler until 6K caps. Get admission to Vegas, buy Luck implant, gamble until 30K caps, buy all implants.
FO4: Do Museum of Freedom to get power armor, don't fight the Deathclaw. Scrape together 5K caps, buy Overseer's Guardian or Spray 'n' Pray.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Iretep posted:

the sane way to break new vegas is run through deathclaw hellzone and go straight to vegas to gamble for money at lvl 1 or 2.

If you're not pressed for time, go south to the outpost, east to Nipton, north to Novac and then Vegas. Any hostiles you encounter will be pretty weak.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Azhais posted:

That's the path the quests literally send you on if you just follow the robot

Yeah, just pointing that out as a zero-risk option if time isn't an issue.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
You don't even need to go through Deathclaw Hell. Go east from Goodsprings and go through Hidden Valley during the day, then north to Vegas.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

buglord posted:

Was Rage 1 any good? I rented it and I didn't feel compelled to keep it for the whole 5 days. It just felt like a bunch of games I already played, but more shallow.

It's a shooter with racing and minigames tacked on. The shooting is good, the driving is ok, the minigames are dumb but not required. If you like ID shooters you'll like it.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Arcsquad12 posted:

Okay, was Bethesda's development team kidnapped and replaced by synths when Far Harbor was made? I just did a main story quest that involved no combat and then reconfigured the settlement building system into a puzzle mechanic with some really clever level design. This is not the Bethesda MO, and I'm loving it.

Personally I thought that the matrix puzzle idea was innovative but about two levels too long. YMMV.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Siljmonster posted:

this game will be f2p in 4 weeks

I'm betting Feb 1.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Hakarne posted:

I don’t know why but that really pisses me off more than any other weird glitch I’ve gotten so far. It’s just so blatantly loving obvious and has zero reason to exist except for this being a low-effort cash grab where they could reuse as many Fallout 4 assets as possible without even attempting to improve on anything directly carried over from the last game.

The most charitable viewpoint is that 76 could have been remotely decent given a few more months of playtesting, but the bean-counters pushed it out the door in Nov. so that grandma could put it under the Christmas tree.

The least charitable is that the company was too cheap to hire new artists and 3D modelers, and the coders were huffing airplane glue.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Arcsquad12 posted:

It's a real shame that Ulysses wasn't done better, because the buildup to him in the base game and the other DLCs is really interesting, and one of the things that Avellone does best is make something as mundane as two people talking sound like the most epic thing ever.
"Where two couriers fought under an old world flag at the edge of the world."

The DLCs for New Vegas were made by different teams, and it shows. Lonesome Road has good gunplay and exploration but gawdawful writing, whereas Dead Money has top-notch writing but horrible gameplay.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

THE loving MOON posted:

This game is a real mystery to me. On the one hand, it's an obvious mess and anybody should have been able to tell them that it was going to hurt the brand. But they released it anyway, so either they really didn't think it was that hosed up or they were just blatantly cashing in on the name, drat the consequences. 'They' being whoever's decision it was to etc etc.

Like I said back there, I'm fairly certain that the bean-counters forced them to put it out in November so that Grandma could put a box under little Billy's Christmas tree. The big question is whether it would have been good with another 4-5 months playtesting.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Rinkles posted:

this is my favorite. i get a zero damage critical strike (blood splatter included).
https://i.imgur.com/tbuCiRi.mp4

Jeezus Christ, that animation. I mean, in Fallout 4, ferals at least looked scary, they would charge at you screaming and fling themselves at you and fall on the floor. This guy looks like a 65 year old with constipation trying to do a Latin dance after half an hour of lessons.

It's like the theme of 76 is "the same as Fallout 4, except we made a lot of stuff worse".

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Liquid Communism posted:

Everything in 76 has this horrible janky pathfinding. Like if you go up some stairs, Fog Crawlers (why they're in West Virginia instead of a foggy island in Maine I dunno) will just path away because they can't do stairs.

They... they put Fog Crawlers in 76???

:ughh:

There aren't enough facepalm smilies to properly express my face-palmyness at this point.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Magmarashi posted:

Not entirely following the complaint with this. WV has crayfish and freshwater shrimps.

I'm more concerned about where the gently caress Anglers came from in West Virginia

Fog Crawlers were created by the radioactive fog, which was a plot point in Far Harbor. Having them be elsewhere makes no sense.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Crabtree posted:

I'll be generous and suggest maybe 3 years. And people payed loving $200 for a helmet and this game.

There's no limit to what whales are wiling to pay for.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Golden Bee posted:

This was how I felt as someone from Boston! A beautiful downtown that turned into just a weird maze of brownstone skyscrapers.

Should have added cobblestones which trip you every three feet.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
This is old as hell, but I'll nominate Anarchy Online as the worst launch ever. It had a million billion zillion bugs, exploits and awful design decisions, and on top of that, no one could log on the first two or three days. Apparently it didn't occur to anyone at Funcom that they ought to beef up their login server for launch day. :cripes:

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Entropic posted:

I played so much Civ4 but could not get into Civ5 at all (though I've heard apparently it's Good Now if you get all the expansion packs or something?)
How terrible are 6 and BE?

All I want from that style of game is Alpha Centauri with modern graphics, dammit.

Civ 5 with all DLC costs about $25 or so. I'd say it's worth it.

I'd love a new version of Alpha Centauri too.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
Up until now, everything so far could be explained by some corpulent executive forcing the game out the door early. But, this bit about leaking personal information? Uh-uh. This goes beyond mere stupidity. I honestly think that Bethesda has one or more disgruntled employees actively trying to sabotage the company.

Gynovore fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Dec 6, 2018

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Saladin Rising posted:

Seriously though I knew this game was gonna be buggy and kinda broken, but holy gently caress I had no idea it would be this bad, and that Bethesda's incompetence would extend to other stuff. In less than one week we've had Bethesda scamming people with nylon bags after they sent their youtube shills real canvas ones, $100 Nuka Cola rum bottles made of cheap plastic, and of course there's that gigantic loving data breach.

Like I said back there, I can think of no explanation other than some disgruntled employees trying to tank the company. Mere stupidity can't explain this.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

stratofarius posted:

Can we talk about New Vegas here? I'm getting back into the game and would love some quest mod recommendations beyond the usual (New Vegas Bounties, etc).

New Vegas is pretty playable out of the box (nowadays). The only must-have mods are a UI overhaul, some player housing, and JSawyer's mod.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
The truly ironic part is, if this service were attached to an MMORPG that wasn't terrible, fucktons of people would buy it.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Honestly, how much of Fallout 4 wasn't Radiant quests or Empty Settlements? And of what of the handmade content was memorable except for the excellent USS Constitution quest?

Unless you're referring to something new, the Constitution quest was part of the main game.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Arcsquad12 posted:

Going back to elder scrolls games can be rough especially since Soule was outed as a rapist. Kind of tarnishes the music given how tied to his sexual harassment the music actually is. There's the argument for death of the author but it's hard to do that when the accusations against Soule specifically mention how he stated that his musical inspiration comes from the women he's slept with.

You mean Jeremy Soule? That sucks. His music is incredible. I still remember the orchestral pieces he did for Dungeon Siege.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Berke Negri posted:

the "red line" is the freedom trail and is an actual irl thing i think

it basically loops you around central boston past all the historic colonial landmarks

True. It's a line of red cobblestones set into the pavement; in places where that's not practical, it's a red line painted on the ground.