Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I'm sad I can't romance Deacon. The other guys are boring.

Also I've abandoned actual gameplay to build Vault 88. It's taken a huge amount of time because there are zero explanations of how building actually works and I have to google so drat much.
Plus gently caress getting attacked by raiders while building, they left blood and dead bodies all over my nice clean atrium floor :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Glazius posted:

It's been a while since I've built a vault, but I don't remember it being that confusing, except maybe for some stuff in the atrium. What problems are you running into?

I'm pretty much sorted now, but figuring out how the atrium pieces worked and getting the roof pieces snapping together was time consuming as the first intro to vault building.
Next was figuring out how to get electricity working (who knew that it magically flowed through the walls and you just needed the special vault transmitter thing on the wall to enable that room)
Then connecting the water pump to the vault generator. It took a while to work out how to get power from an exterior vault wall to connect to the wires I'd run down the train tunnel (basically snap some atrium walls to the exterior to make a sort of porch as the vault transmitters don't work on exterior walls but will work on atrium walls that aren't totally enclosed as a room)
Then just little things like rooms needing to started from the door piece first and built out from there otherwise the pieces don't snap together and that stairs don't stack on top of each other.

To be fair I'm new to the game and this is my first build in it as I'd largely ignored settlements beyond the basics, but yeah there's very little explanation of the mechanics of it though it's easy enough when you've figured out the rules and how it works.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I get the feeling that everything in FO4 is a direct response to criticisms levelled at FO3 especially after FONV was released.
So, when people complained that the capital wasteland was just a load of unconnected set pieces and that the Raiders made no sense and how do people live there, there’s no food, there’s no economy, there’s no factions to join etc etc.
Well, that’s why FO4 has settlement building and crafting and crop growing and Raiders with backstories and cities with shops and factions to side with.
There’s so much in 4 that I can see are inspired by the immersive elements of New Vegas.
I’m just playing Nuka World now for the first time and it’s interesting how they’ve humanised Raiders to be another gang more like the BoS rather than just bullet fodder that threw themselves screaming at you in FO3.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

My favourite was Melissa, the Great Khan at the deathclaw quarry who had a Kiwi accent out of nowhere.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

eating only apples posted:

He does voice Nick, yeah. It’s the guy who voiced Garrett in the Thief games. Stephen Russell. He’s not the shouty Whiterun priest though. He’s Belethor the shopkeeper iirc and the talking dog around Falkreath.

He does all the Mr Handys in Fallout too. Codsworth!

And Corvo Attano in Dishonored 2!

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

So I’ve just added a couple of mods to Fallout 4 and now the only option I have is to start a new game. Is that right? It seems really weird.
I mean I’d pretty much finished with my initial character but I wanted to use that save to test some stuff out and make sure mods were working before starting a fresh game.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Internet Kraken posted:

My favorite bit of "nobody cleans ever" in Fallout 3 was the Outcasts. Other than the Enclave they are the most advanced faction in the wasteland with tons of amazing tech. You go into their base and its a total disaster. Just tons of debris and poo poo everywhere, as if if they literally just moved into the building a second before you arrived. There are people typing on computer terminals with overturned counters literally right next to them. It would take you 5 seconds to pick that poo poo up and shove it in a closet.

Even in a setting 20 years after the bombs fell I don't think people would be living in places where the floor is covered in a permanent layer of trash. I imagine everything would be filthy and dusty, that's understandable. But when you have no choice but to hunker down inside frequently to not get eaten alive by roaming scorpion hordes, you'd think these people would bother to put the trash in a corner at least.

Internet Kraken posted:

My favorite bit of "nobody cleans ever" in Fallout 3 was the Outcasts. Other than the Enclave they are the most advanced faction in the wasteland with tons of amazing tech. You go into their base and its a total disaster. Just tons of debris and poo poo everywhere, as if if they literally just moved into the building a second before you arrived. There are people typing on computer terminals with overturned counters literally right next to them. It would take you 5 seconds to pick that poo poo up and shove it in a closet.

Even in a setting 20 years after the bombs fell I don't think people would be living in places where the floor is covered in a permanent layer of trash. I imagine everything would be filthy and dusty, that's understandable. But when you have no choice but to hunker down inside frequently to not get eaten alive by roaming scorpion hordes, you'd think these people would bother to put the trash in a corner at least.

With the amount of Abraxo cleaner everywhere they really have no excuse.
Slobs.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Arcsquad12 posted:

Someone should make a mod called Wasteland Cleaner, where, armed with a broom, a dustpan and a box of abraxo cleaner, one person will change the hygiene of a nation forever.

It would also probably help with gameplay performance as the junk piles being removed would free up memory.

One of Deacons banter lines is about this very thing, setting up a maid service with you after he retires! Radiant quests where Deacon sends you to a location or settlement to clean up.
Someone get on making that right now!

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Zeniel posted:

Disabling V-sync may help a bit. But bear in mind that there's a bug where you end up with infinite load times in the downtown area for some reason. I thought the vsynch issue fixed my game but it didn't, so I've given up in frustration. Eh I was basically done with the game anyway, it was getting too repetitive and the faction ideologies are flawed in really dumb ways.

I really hate how all scientists in this game all have the same personality and have no sense of humor, like everytime you make some smart alec comment they're always just like
:welp: That's not a hypothsis...
It's like some kind of tv tropes style approach to character writing.
Scientist == humorless robot.

Also, for a group of scientists the Institutes ideology really makes no goddamn sense. Oh we kidnapped your son because we needed him for his genetic purity, the wasteland is missing genetic purity, that's why we have to send out waves of cyborgs. Genetic purity is not a thing. It really undermines the whole sympathetic angle of the institute when you first meet them and they're wholly unreasonable simply because the writers wrote themselves into a corner and required them to stubbornly reject compromise, so they made up a nonsense nonscientific point to rally behind. Bah.

The Institute piss me off because their reasoning is so backassward.
They want to help further mankind and ensure a future for humanity? Great, that's a great goal.
So. how are they achieving this?
Well, we want to study life in the Commonwealth, how people live now and farm and what challenges they face and what we can do to overcome those to build a better future.
So, what we'll do is this.
We'll kidnap ordinary people and torture the info we need out of them. Oh, but people might notice that, so we'll build synthetic replacements for them and swap them. It's ingenious and nobody will be any the wiser and it's so simple.

Did you ever think of just going out there and you know, just talking to people and asking them for the information maybe. Or getting them involved as willing participants. Or anything really rather than the stupid 'Let's waste all our expertise and resources on building fake humans' route.

I really hated that I couldn't tell 'Father' what a fascist, murdering piece of poo poo he was and that was why I was burning the whole thing down.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Is there a mod for Fallout 4 that lists everything an item will break down into? It's been a long while since I played and I'm not looking forward to hunting down materials.

If you have Valdacils item sorting and Def UI and INV it will show what an item breaks down into when you hover over it.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Katt posted:

Does anyone else have that thing where vertibirds always try to crash on you?

https://i.imgur.com/XYhG3Ag.mp4

All. The. loving. Time.
County Crossing is a BOS death zone in my game.
Good for loot though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Katt posted:

I appreciate that they game lets you shot down vertibirds and kill BOS patrols without ruining your relationship with them. Shooting down virtibirds is a lot of fun and I'd hate to miss out.

It even makes lore sense because with no survivors then who's going to snitch on you?

I’ve never been a fan of the BOS in the games and usually end up massacring them all. Plus, those vertibirds are ridiculously fragile and easy to shoot down. Danse is ok though.
My favourite F4 picture is one of my character and Deacon stood on the beach watching the Prydwen burn.