Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Freaking Crumbum posted:

honestly, I was really hoping that the whole "where is SHAAAAAAWN" plot of FO4 would turn out that both the protagonist's son and the people that kidnapped him have been dead and gone for years by the time the protagonist actually thaws out, and all of the protagonist's strife and internal conflict was for nothing. the end - no moral!

This would've been a better ending for Nick Valentine's quest too. Just a bunker with a skeleton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Internet Kraken posted:

Actually he does change the way he speaks. When that guy voices the thieves guild leader he tries really hard to sound gruff and tough (it doesn't work at all). When you meet that contact its just him doing his normal NPC voice. That guys voice is really distinct so I can always tell when its him. Usually he doesn't try to change his voice at all but when he does its really bad. He voices a priest in Whiterun that sounds absolutely ridiculous.

Its still better than Oblivion where half the races had only one voice actor, usually shared with another.

VVV I don't think this guy actually voiced anyone in Oblivion. I do think he voiced Nick Valentine in Fallout 4 though.

He does voice Nick, yeah. It’s the guy who voiced Garrett in the Thief games. Stephen Russell. He’s not the shouty Whiterun priest though. He’s Belethor the shopkeeper iirc and the talking dog around Falkreath.

He does all the Mr Handys in Fallout too. Codsworth!

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Yandat posted:

If I buy and play Fallout 4 for the first time, GOTY edition - should I just disable Automatron, the workshops, and Nuka-World DLC and just leave Far Harbor in?

I don't plan on using mods.

Nah, keep them. Automatron's not bad and you don't have to do any of it even if you accidentally find where it starts, and I haven't played Nuka-World but I have it and it doesn't seem to affect anything at all in the main game before you start it. I don't think it even opens up til level 30 or something.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Freaking Crumbum posted:

this was great the first time I ever beat NV and for some reason the script telling the NPCs to stop walking around broke or didn't fire, so I got the narrator and Cass wandering all over the screen while the slideshow played. it was weird as all hell.

I had that one power armour Remnant guy follow me into the final battle, help me out killing Lanius, then stomp all over my ending slides. Cheers fella.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

How far can you go in FO4 without becoming hostile to any faction? This playthrough I'm going to eventually side with the Railroad, but until then I'd like to get as far as possible with BoS. Mainly I want to get BoS power armor with Knight, Paladin, and Sentinel paint jobs, along with eventually killing Maxon to get his unique power armor frame and Elder armor pieces, gun, and coat. That means I have to finish Blind Betrayal to get the Paladin paint, and finish A New Dawn to get Sentinel paint, and knock Maxon's fusion core out during Airship Down to take his frame. Currently I'm to here:

• Institute - Mass Fusion quest, speak with Allie Filmore
  • BoS - Blind Betrayal quest, travel to Listening Post Bravo
  • Railroad - Underground Undercover quest, continue working with Father

Apparently "continue working with Father" means doing Mass Fusion, but I know if I talk with Allie she'll eventually tell me to go to the Mass Fusion building via the relay, which will make the BoS hostile.

Also, if I complete Blind Betrayal then Tactical Thinking will start automatically, making the Railroad hostile.

There's gotta be another way around some of this, according to this flowchart I should be able to inform BoS I'm doing Mass Fusion and keep them friendly, which will start Spoils of War so I can gently caress up the Institute.

Unfortunately, becoming hostile with the Institute should end the rest of the Railroad questline, which I guess is fine as long as I can still get access to their ballistic weave.

You can finish Blind Betrayal and have Tactical Thinking in your quest log as long as you never, ever speak or go near Captain Kells again. The Railroad won’t go hostile until you’ve spoken to him.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

2house2fly posted:

Contreras and Arcade both have quests that require you to go there, there's also a super mutant whose voice actor wasn't told the character's tongue had been cut out and two guys who sell children to cannibal paedophiles, and nobody much minds if you slice them up with an axe

Wes-ee-bay.

(wesibe)

Also, Tom Anderson, who's part of The White Wash - a Followers-related quest, but nothing to do with Arcade. It's NCR I think.

e: you meant the old guy there for Arcade's quest, I see. The White Wash is a pretty in-depth NCR thing.

eating only apples fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Feb 12, 2018

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Katt posted:

This is the whole "Dumbledore was gay all along" thing. Female super mutants would have been interesting but in practise there are few if any.

Keep in mind that Lily and Tabitha coincidently are both nightkin and the game firmly establishes that Nightkin are all crazy and confused before you even met them.

That's not a coincidence. The game as presented is "these crazy critters think they're girls" not a tragic story of dipped women.

Likewise according to Tabithas wiki page "Before the game's release, an article in Official Xbox Magazine suggested that Tabitha was a male pretending to be a woman out of insanity. "

The game is at best leaving it open to interpretation that they are actual female super mutants. But firmly grounded in the "just crazy nightkin being crazy" explanation.

this is such a weird way of looking at it and I don't get it at all

Everyone refers to Tabitha as female (even one of her endings), there's zero suggestion that she's actually "just crazy and male".

And I mean, the link to this is broken (on Tabitha's talk page on the fallout wiki), but Josh Sawyer pretty much ended the debate:

quote:

"Before being dipped in the vats, Tabitha was a female human. She continues to self-identify as female. Descriptions of her as being "in drag" are not accurate; FEV transforms female humans in the same way as male humans, leaving their appearance very similar."

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Neurosis posted:

or maybe alternatively entering some kind of agreement with the dead horses for protection (which would inevitably end up with them either losing their individual identity or, if they kept separate, the dead horses eventually abusing the relationship as having the upper hand) - because their pacifism cannot exist without having some who will protect them.

the dead horses are no more a power in the area than the sorrows are and Joshua has no interest in absorbing the sorrows. If that was the case he could have done so a long time ago. Joshua's interests directly conflict with Daniel's and with Daniel as their defacto leader the sorrows will never be interested in joining the dead horses. Joshua doesn't particularly care about anyone who isn't bothering him, and Daniel wants the Sorrows to stay innocent and never fight or be sad or whatever. they are the descendants of the kids who arrived in Zion and were guided by the Survivalist for a bit, giving them their belief system of the Father in the Caves. They were here first.

the two tribes have different belief systems, with Daniel encouraging the old ways (although they misinterpret it) and Joshua just doin his thing, he doesn't seem to have converted his tribe to his religion at all. Zion is probably meant to be bigger than we experience so they can go ahead and live their lives without really meeting each other too much. It's not very well communicated but Joshua and Daniel are entirely uninterested in one another until the White Legs arrive.

this does happen if you destroy the White Legs but spare Salt-Upon-Wounds, so it may have needed an outside influence to bring the two groups together

eating only apples fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Mar 5, 2018

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Bad news for anyone anticipating the Fallout 3-> 4 conversion mod:

According to their facebook page they've decided to halt the mod indefinitely. Bethesda's decision will also be impacting the New Vegas conversion, but that team has decided to continue on anyway and just use their own VA.

lol "the phenomenal Eric Todd Dellums"

loving Three Dog is is the guy they decided was above all others

the guy that everyone kills just to get the neutral radio lady in between the good music

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

(Actual gay person here) I agree with you, an ending where Veronica and Christine reunite at the Sierra Madre would have been fantastic.

It wouldn't have been that hard to program either: after you complete the Dead Money DLC you have the option of telling her you know what happened to her girlfriend. At this point she would leave to go find her and you would lose her as a companion, but in the ending slide show you would learn that she and Christine are together and happy.

It'd be nice for Veronica to have at least one chance at a happy ending (because as it stands every option available for her is terrible in the end).

The reason there’s nothing like that with Veronica, or with Caesar about Joshua, is because they couldn’t put new content into the base game after the DLCs. The conversation with Veronica about Elijah was already in the game, disguised as being about another quest. So yeah, it would actually have been that hard to program

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
I wish Kris Kristofferson had more than his 30 minutes of straight dialogue, because I sure did sit there and listen to all his stories and was disappointed when there was nothing else to talk about and I had to listen to him once last time before he shot himself. It's the right thing to do probably but I sure don't feel good about it when I do it. I don't think I've ever let him carry on.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

See, that would have made sense and could have been interesting.

Too bad it's not in the game.

It's also contradicted by that scribe's logs in the police station where you first meet Dance. Haylen? She wrote in her medical logs that he's just suddenly started getting headaches and other weird symptoms, which is referenced somewhere else as being a side-effect of being a new synth, iirc.

e:

quote:

Medical File DN-407P
Paladin Danse

Patient stated symptoms of head pain and inability to sleep. No visible signs of trauma, radiation exposure or biological contamination. Diagnosis in field difficult, but suggest battle fatigue and stress probable causes. Recommended 24 hours bed rest but patient refused.

Possibly when he was switched out.

eating only apples fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Apr 13, 2018

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
I do like any excuse to hang with Nick Valentine, possibly the only worthwhile character in the whole game

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

frajaq posted:

we even got detective side-quests for him, sure they were kinda lovely but I liked the intention behind it
I don't know why Bethesda didn't expand the idea with others

why couldn't we get journalism quests with Piper
why couldn't we get combat arena quests/content with Cait
why couldn't we get mercenary contracts with MacCready

Just more of every companion tbh, more about them, more relating to them.

Nick's detective quests were surface-level fun, his personal quest had the worst ending possible, which was a shame. And it was a big ol slog for not much reward.

More Railroady quests for Deacon, robot things with Curie like the Repconn/Robco facilities New Vegas had, how bout that? Do them with Codsworth too. Supermutant quests with Strong proving that they're not all mindless beasts and he's not the worst companion ever. So much potential.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Arcsquad12 posted:

If Nick's quest had ended with Eddie Winter long dead from starving in a sealed bunker it would have been so much better. Make it a commentary on why revenge is meaningless and living in the past won't change the future.

This is what I was hoping for, but even that simple message was too much for the writers. Most of Nick's dialogue about it isn't even about the revenge, it's about the memories of the real Nick that he feels uncomfortable with having - and there's nothing about that either! Both Winter and Nick's other memories that he doesn't want could have been so interesting. The Memory Den exists, even.

I haven't finished Far Harbor so if that's explored at all with DiMa, mea culpa