Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

1 <3 this post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Keeshhound posted:

Bethesda refused to provide review copies prior to DOOM 2016's launch. There were some complaints, but since the game was good the story didn't really take off, and now people are worried that Bethesda will feel emboldened to keep snubbing review outlets since it worked for them in the past.

These things can backfire. If journalist don't have time to describe what the actual gameplay of the game is... it may never reach the actual audience of the game.

The devs may be initially be happy with preorders and such, from people that can help themselves. And then they will not understand when the game fail to find a public and the game die on the vine.

The devs have done a atrocious effort about explaining what the game is about or for what public is this game. So this problem seems pertinent here.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

J-Spot posted:

Im pretty sure they also snubbed review outlets on everything they’ve released since. Dishonored 2, ***Prey***, Evil Within 2, Wolfenstein 2. I’m pretty sure they all underperformed as well. I don’t really get it since all of these games have been well received but Bethesda acts like they’ve got something to hide.

This. This is a crime here. Somebody call the police, the fbi and the army.

How hard is to say "Guys, we made System Shock, but modernized, cool and fun".

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Wolfsheim posted:

I like Prey quite a bit but the beginning before you level up a bit is extremely rough and its not entirely clear that you're not supposed to actually fight the bigger aliens head on yet but you're also not very good at stealth yet either and then the last third of the game is moslty about fighting an army of floating grey boxes and running between loading screens.

It's got problems, is what I'm saying.

You are not wrong.

But I think more people would have bough the game if where warned about his qualities, than people scared away by his mistakes. If you have a niche game, you have to reach that public!, tell them your game exist and will be fun for them. Maybe use secret words that only them and you understands and the general public ignore.

If Fallout 76 ends being Sea of Pirates in the Fallout universe, or Rust in the Fallout universe, or Yoda Adventures in the fallout universe, these are niches of players that need to be informed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZpa-Nro0hc

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Wow,... 200 posts. I guest this thread was running a simulation of RPGCodex inside a mutant brain uploaded to a 50's mainframe.

I am gonna read all the 200 post and give a opinion when I finish. Thanks for posting!

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I remember people saying "I wish we could play Skyrim with my friends".

But this was one million of years ago. And we where young. And naive.

It was before Just Cause multiplayer. Before Rust. Before DayZ. The world has changed.

Our old self would be incredible hyped by something like Fallout 76.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Joke is on them. Fallout 76 will probably be the last Fallout. Like GTA 5 Online is the last GTA. Or Elder Scroll Online is the last Elder Scroll. Or Steam is the last Valve product.

The moment a company have a montly stream of income. They have much less interest into making products.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

Elder Scrolls 6 was announced at E3

And Valve have released some games, not Zero games. But my point is that once they have a stream of income that is monthly, a product seems a risky and not very profitable proposition. So they put every product on the slow track and change the company to a service provider instead of a product provider.

Is not even a absolute... a random company can visit this, then survive and go back to release games in a timely fashion, but most not. Fallou 76 can kill the Fallout serie, and that is very real, imo.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Berke Negri posted:

the idea of the crpg genre being conductive to pacifism is so weird cause i can't really think of any that really do it without some very counter intuitive gameplaying

old school adventure games are really more a thing of that and even then you usually ended up having to kill someone at the end

let me play devil advocate:

If the player feel a "no kill victory" is challenge. And theres tools to get it. it could be a fun thing.

I am thinking games like KOTOR style, where you can murder everyone in a mercenary base, or enter the base has a new member and hack things in their back. If you just murder everyone, is just another shooting gallery, but if you talk to the mercenaries, you maybe will find a fun mercenary, interesting characters, good back story.

the mercenary base can even be the hub for a few quests you do for the mercenaries, before you steal their stuff.

CRPG very clearly can do this naturally, while it would be weird in other type of games.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

[edit] is possible, I don't remember much about the details of the games

my point is that yea, CRPG make it very natural to have pacifist runs, while it would be weird in other type of games

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

My strategy to select a faction in a Fallout universe is "do they have clean bases?". If they bases are clean and ordered, I am more likely to side with that faction than if the faction has trash around and nobody care.

The Institute > Enclave > Brotherhood of Steel > New Californian Republic >> Everyone else

If the wastelands need one thing, is to put in charge people willing to move all the corpses to tombs, rebuild society. Even a bad society is better than having a ruinous chaos with bandits killing good people.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

You trough you managed to get "west virginia" out of you skull, but then I am here to put there it again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vrEljMfXYo

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I really like Obsidian games.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Fortnite Battle Royale MT system is good.

No game advantages. The quality of the actual skins and trinkets you buy is excellent*.
Game pass, that give you a way to win the rewards by yourself, so you feel you played to get these rewards, not just straight paid for them.

My problem with MT is that when I get a game advantage by paying real world money, I feel disgusted and like I am cheating. I have not problem paying money for free games, but if paying money make me feel bad, I would hate the game for it.

Paying to reduce the grind is also another thing that kind of works, but force games to have unreasonable and unfun grinds, so people feel forced to buy the quick xp potions or other shortcuts. These are on the bad side.

Loot Crates are pure evil, specially evil on games directed at childrens, where they are disgusting. On games for adults they are also disgusting because some people have gambling problems, and these schemes may have them put all the money of food/rent into the machine. Game developers that are okay with gambling are not different drug dealers that know some people lives get destroyed by drugs, but don't loving care while the money is flowing.

Loot crates can be made less evil by having ways to get them with game mechanisms. Still evil, but if you close your eyes, the game can still be fun for you ignoring whatever "life destroying" effects can have to other people.

------

* When Firefall moved to Free to play, the quality of the items in the loot store was horrible. The design, and quality was bottom of the barrel bad. Thats a good way to kill your free to play game, have garbage for your item shop.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

gamers are easy to figure out and I think a few things are going to work in all games

- gold shader / gold weapons
- aviator glasses
- cowboy hat
- cool dances

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Schubalts posted:

I can't believe there are actually people railing against a loving cosmetic cash shop, with currency that is earnable through just playing the game. And the actual "loot boxes" (the skill cards) aren't even going to be sold for real money!

Well duh. In a post-scarcity economy the easiest way to sell people stuff is to create the need. If people have too many cosmetic options, remove all options and only provide people cool hats trough a shop. So they pay the base game + whatever it cost the hat, to not look like clows in scrapyard.

A post-scarcity economy like that create a in-game have and have-nots that mirror the real world. Where rich people look cool and poor people look like trash bags. And thats not fun. We play games for escapism, not to meet again the worst of our real world in our imaginary worlds.

I mean, who cares?, but is not something good for us, is bad for us.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Donovan Trip posted:

Bethesda gets dragged thru the mud CONSTANTLY despite creating games that are genre defining with some of the most mod versatility ever, and consistently publishing terrific games. Like I don't get it at all.

They have awnful ideas, like Horse Armour or tryiing to make profit from mods.

The artist and game developers seems fine, but somebody in the top of the company is a rear end in a top hat.

Do you like this painting?

If you liked it, you liked something Adolf Hitler made.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Schubalts posted:

Also jesus loving christ did you seriously just try to Godwin this?

If somebody is going to use the card "because they are good artist, they are beyond the reach of criticism" I am going to shot a spaghetti meat ball at his face.

Edit:
reworded a bit

Tei fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Sep 28, 2018

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Gay Horney posted:

this thread is astounding. my favorite part was the guy who said find me a premium game that costs sixty dollars to play and has microtransactions. shits more expensive than it was when skyrim or morrowind came out. The game will have online servers that cost money to run and there is literally no better, less intrusive way to fund that than with cosmetic microtransactions.

We use to have private servers in the 2000, so did not need the devs to host anything.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

the reason servers are no longer often available is not to generate revenue, it's because as this poo poo gets more complex it is probably already incredibly unlikely that consumer or hobbyist equipment could meaningfully operate an actual server. gently caress, the resources FO76 probably needs just to simulate physics interactions for the NPCs alone probably could have run like 30 BF2142 servers or whatever halcyon private server ganes you're imagining. 'bandwidth' costs are not why servers get shut down, it's general operating expenses.

servers that host 4000 people yes, but servers that host 16 people probably are 1GB of RAM, 1 CPU at a cost of $0.044 hourly

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Donovan Trip posted:

In beta news, the beta will be playable for 4 to 8 hours a day.

Red Flag here, guys. When devs do this, is because they want to show only a slice of the game. Hide something they think you will find if you can freely explore their game.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Donovan Trip posted:

Or they're stress testing their servers and want plenty of time to parse data but do you baby

Is a thing Mythic Entertainment would do, if they still existed.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

The Train Wreck.

Episode #1: Where Bethesda learns about Timezones.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

They describe the multiplayer similar to Sea of Pirates, very large map, super small playerbase, randoms will rarelly find other randows while exploring.

Something like this could be true if theres dungeons or big buildings to explore. But if theres static bases and people craft in craft stations, I imagine finding people would be easy. ( camp the entrance with a sniper rifle, waiting for somebody to go outside to kill him. )

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

TjyvTompa posted:

Dude, there used to be like 2 Fallout 4 threads. One "Fallout 4 thread" and one "Fallout 4 thread for stable people" or something. This is nothing, just wait until it's released. You will be reading about Fallout New Vegas for years man.

That sounds glorious.

Man, sometimes I feel like I am visiting a party, after it finished. Born too late to be part of the "fallout 4 thread for stable people", to soon to explore space.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

theres only a few companies in the world that can make a good open world game, and Ubisoft wish to be among them.

bethesda, obsidian,... we can count these companies with one hand

But a multiplayer mmo-lite sandbox is a different thing, It can be done by one person, like that obscure game, minecraft

So Fallout 76 is a weird product because have a company doing something in a very competitive market and they seems to us ill prepared

And because we are internet people, this seems hilarious to us, like watching from a hill two steam engine crashing, we will be a bit dissapointed if this dont end producing hilarious gifs

i understand bethesda want to diversify and maybe they have the muscle to do this and do a excellent job, but has cynical internet person, I am here with the flexible chair and the popcorn because the implications

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Donovan Trip posted:

They're trying something new as anyone should from time to time

It'd be a lot safer to churn out fallout 5

Yea, it can be even be the future of the company, if they strike gold, like GTA did with his online.

Cristobal Colon could have stay on know routes. Had he done that, we would have the Russians conquer all america, and Brasil would be full of cossacks, and Colombia would have a different name, and would be first exporter of Vodzka in the world.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Donovan Trip posted:

If we're gonna start nitpicking greed in capitalism, buying armor that makes me look vaguely like Spiderman for fifty cents in a video game I don't need is a pretty privileged jump off

In games where the company sell money, using a hex editor to create money should not be illegal. I don't even think cheating in a singleplayer game is a bad thing.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Cyberpunkey Monkey posted:

The Minecraft Alpha (after that he hired help) is not a comparable game development task compared to Fallout 76.

No, of course.

But if you are making a multiplayer chess game, you only have to render a board, and the pieces, en enforce the movement rules. Thats very easy.
But if you are making a singleplayer chess game, where you have to write a AI engine for it, is a much bigger job.

The cost of making a multiplayer game vs the cost of making a singleplayer game is different. In a multiplayer game you can get away with much less animations, models, scripts, etc..

Because you can have people creating a competing product for peanuts, the competition in this market (coop sandboxs / light mmo-ish) is very hard. You are competing here with the Rust guy, and the PUBG dude mod, .. People can be competing with you with a mod, for god saken!.

Is also a enviroment where people will love to break the rules you set and "grief" other players. And fighting that is a endless war. The people that will buy your game with intention to grief have experience griefing in many other titles, they already know how to exploit your rules, just by reading about them in a blog post. More than any other piece of software, a sandbox is a software in constant change and evolution, and this put a lot of stress on the devs.

Tei fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Oct 5, 2018

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I do not trust that design for events because Destiny 2 had one similar, and absolutelly nobody, not even the most toxic youtuber, warned the community about the huge and real problems with the game. It was when the game was in the hands in the public, we quickly noticed we got a neutered game where nothing felt powerful or special.

Events where the mesage is that controlled, can give the wrong impression of a game.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

ToxicSlurpee posted:

There really isn't a such thing as a "new engine." If memory serves the games world in general still has chunks of the original Doom floating around. I forget all the details of it but between code reuse, licensing, and I think even some patent shenanigans contemporary games come out containing stuff that's 30 years old.

The time investment in writing an entire game engine 100% from scratch would be pretty crazy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fast_inverse_square_root

----

about rewrites....

two things can make a new engine better than a old engine:

- remove all the bloat
- discard all the original design decisions that probably are not true anymore.

like, a engine can be designed to use has much has the CPU has possible, to leverage the GPU. then 10 years from the original design, you have machines with too much GPU and not enough CPU. the design decision is backed in everything in the engine*, so simply patchs can't change that fact, only a total rewrite

bloat is a huge problem for every piece of software, every individual feature make sense and make the software better (woah!, this is easy to make and let us do X). but after 10 years, therse features make the code complicate to evolve, make hard to fix bugs, make the code slow, make the code hard to understand for new hires, make the code ugly, etc..

starting from scratch means you can "forget" all these features, and start with only the ones you need just now.

will you really start from scratch? of course not, specially if your design is highly modular. if your physic engine is a module (maybe even a third party one), you will just integrate with the new engine, the same thing with any other module that still make sense, sound, file manager, etc.. but if theres a module that is obsolete, you will rewrite that one. so the true new engine, still share a lot of code with the old engine. It will anyway be a new piece of software, with their own new problems for the most part (only a few of the old problems).

rewritting a engine from scratch is a huge work, so very few companies try it, is a 5 years long project, so only if you are planning to continue using a engine for 10+ years, and your engine is 5+ years old, you would rewrite the engine. It seems many companies just simple buy a already made engine, because is rare to have so many long time to do programming.

not all programmers are born equal, some programmers can be dealing with complicated multitasking problems that are simply beyond the ability to others to understand, the ability of programmers come in powers of 10. ... one programmer can be 10 times better than other, while the next level can be 100 times better than the original. It make sense for true super genius that are 1000 times better than the average programmer to make engines, so normal genius use the engine. c company may only have genius, and not supergenius. not everyone can build a competing engine, many companies may not have the people that can pull that work.

* is not just 1 decision baked in the code, it can be 1000 of these decisions, and most of them will be invisible to the eye, simply thing they believed when they wrote the code, but are not true anymore (maybe where not even true there)

Tei fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Oct 7, 2018

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Minorkos posted:

Todd, it's monday, please release the videos

Shakespeare could not write a better line

Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the videos of war, war, war never changes.

Adress your favorite youtuber for your dose of visual food.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

This looks like a very typical Asian MMO to my uneducated eyes, except with Fallout 4 assets.

e: that's not a good look

They need to make the animation of characters more reactive. Like when the character is looking at menus, have the character looking at the computer in the arm, and extensive idle animations thar included things like checking the weapons.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Polygon video have overworld combat.

The internet is going to be angry, we need to sacrifice a goat in a vulcan to appease it

Edit:
fixed

Tei fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Oct 8, 2018

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Alucardd posted:

"gorgeous"

Many parts of the video just look like this, abundant use of green, high contrast, ugly textures.

I believe the youtubers that where impressed with the graphics where talking about the forest, and are people that have not seen a good modded skyrim. Maybe the forest look pretty at night, or something.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I will probably get this one.

Yea, it look like poo poo. The engine looks bad and unoptimized. The gameplay is too simple. Seems optimized for groups of friends and I will be alone. Griefers gonna grief.

Despite the above, I think it will be fun for me. Thats about it.

Other game I enjoyed by a lot, despite being unpopular is Metal Gear Survival. Make sense because Fallout 76 is a spinoff the Fallout serie and MGS was a spinoff the Metal Gear serie.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I must be very ill. The more videos I watch from the game, the more I want to play it. And the worse it look at my eyes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjl_9Sl0wBk

minute 11:10

I swear, this looks like a Half-Life 2 mod. Down to even the sound effects. I think this thing share some sounds effects with Half-Life 2, and the animations are Half-Life 2 era.

Is this bad. And I can't wait to play it!.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

deathbagel posted:

Also remember, this is unoptimized and played on an Xbox. The PC version should look much nicer. You can only do so much on 8 gigs of ram and a 1.75 gig AMD processor.

I wonder if they had other limitations. Like having the video overcompressed. It would make sense since youtubers usually have good setups to make the capture perfect, but they probably had to work with whatever was setup for them in ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vrEljMfXYo

...West Virgnia.

Another problem is audio. None of the the youtubers include music, they are loving scared to get a strike. 3 strikes mean = your whole channel is deleted.

We are on a point, where Youtube is loving histerical dumb. Epic had their own videos blocked by Epic.

https://www.reddit.com/r/FortNiteBR/comments/9ma9nn/epics_own_battle_pass_video_got_copyright_striked/

So really, we are getting overly compressed videos, with not much editing, not much comentary on top and not sweet music. Maybe we will never see music again if the copyright laws are not removed.

Tei fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Oct 9, 2018

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

CJacobs posted:

regarding this

https://twitter.com/GameSpot/status/1049487111072542720

remember when nuking things in fallout was considered a vile, irredeemably evil act and not something cool and "pretty @#%$^& epic!"

I like the Fallout 3 nuke a bit more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-ZLycuRLwc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Every star wars movie is going to have revels and the empire and a death star, no matter the timeline. And is a sad waste of a setting and ultimatelly will kill the interest of the public.

The same thing operater here with BoS. Anyway not everything is bad news, theres original creation mixed with the reuse of ideas. I loved that funny looking toad and zombie hivemind id interesting. Like a zerg faction on the fallout universe.