Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

chitoryu12 posted:

If the game was made as they wanted to (with the budget and time they wanted), I think only the impoverished locals like in Novac, Goodsprings, or Freeside would have had the ramshackle huts or dirty and damaged pre-war buildings. The Strip would have been glittering and perfectly clean, basically pre-war in its opulence. The NCR would have repaired structures and built new ones from adobe, just like back in Shady Sands.

This is a canon image of what Arroyo is supposed to look like around the time of New Vegas:

Late to reply but that would be a drat cool art direction for a Fallout game in a post-post-apocalyptic setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I never actually finished New Vegas, and I've been slowly finishing it lately. Playing it again after 4 is so weird. Just like everyone else, I find it to be a huge downgrade in gameplay, and a huge upgrade in writing. Really not sure why you can't have both. 4 is incredibly shallow in comparison.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I think FO4 has flashes of good writing. Far Harbor, pretty much everything associated with Nick Valentine, and some of the early Diamond City/Piper stuff is good. There's a lot of ideas in FO4 I wish they had explored more, to the extent that I almost wish there was a game of just Nick Valentine doing detective work in the same setting.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Wolfsheim posted:

I agree, and I would say a lot of the companion conversations are pretty good. Even Preston has kind of a cool arc of a guy who is so disillusioned with his lovely life he's borderline suicidal and only steps back from the brink because of your example. The trouble is this only comes through in direct conversation and not at all otherwise, so 95% of the time he's just the bog-standard good guy who adds garbage radiant quests to your mission log.

A lot of the early setup with the Institute being this ominous unknown is pretty good too, the first time I played they genuinely come off as creepy with all the paranoia they instill in the populace. They just.. didn't really stick the landing to put it kindly.

There are a lot of neat ideas FO4 just straight up abandons. That includes the settlement system itself, which is a decent idea but is clearly unfinished. It's really frustrating.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Moridin920 posted:

Anyway this is gonna sound like a NMA post but you might as well stick a fork in the Fallout IP for now and hope they don't bungle Elder Scrolls by not being able to leave a single red cent on the table even if it means making GBS threads the game up.

Far Harbor wasn't that long ago, and was really good. 76 seems like a misstep, but if they were to make more games along the lines of Far Harbor, I think the franchise is fine.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I played for about an hour just now and it seemed really boring. I'm glad I got to try it because I was really curious, but I think I need NPCs and a story to keep me interested, this just isn't for me.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Tempus Thales posted:

did you play by yourself or with other players in a group?

By myself, but I doubt it'd matter. If it's an online game, I like it to either be competitive like Dota or an RTS, or go all in on sandbox like Eve. This doesn't really do either. I'm not even saying this is bad, I'm just saying I'm pretty confident that this isn't for me.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Is there any collection of spoilers or interesting things Fallout 76 adds to the story of these games? Even with games I intend to purchase, I don't really mind spoilers at all, and I am not buying this until it's discounted by a lot.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

As much of a trainwreck as this game is, I think they did really well with the soundtrack. Inon Zur is very talented, and the Copilot cover is great.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

mp5 posted:

The Copilot cover starts with the opening notes of The Ink Spots’ “Maybe” instead of whatever John Denver did

I feel pandered to

Yeah it's pretty pandering, but it's a good cover overall.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Clawtopsy posted:

what was the andromeda discount swiftness again?

I think it took slightly longer. Like two weeks. Maybe ten days.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I'm kind of addicted to this thread just because I enjoy a good trainwreck in entertainment media.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Saladin Rising posted:

loving ouch:
https://twitter.com/SkillUpYT/status/1065310925136191488
"We're not reviewing Fallout 76 because it's so bad that we don't even want to play it anymore." Well that's a review in and of itself, I guess.

Holy gently caress, that's one of the most vicious reviews I've ever seen.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Wolfsheim posted:

It's kinda weird to see this much of a vitriolic backlash to reviewers calling the broken game bad because man, there have been a lot of lovely broken Fallout games. It kinda comes with the territory.

I realize most of those games came out before a lot of these kids could walk but you'd think if they were such super fans that they accuse reviewers of a conspiracy to bring down the vault boy or whatever they would have gone back to at least dabble in the barely-patched isometric games of yore.

I think FO4 had a lot of lovely design choices, but it kept me occupied for a long time. I even kind of liked the main story, and Nick is one of my favorite RPG companion characters. The good parts of 4 overshadowed the shittier parts--like the fact that base construction was ultimately meaningless, and a lot of gameplay was repetitive.

76 is all of the lovely design choices of 4 with none of the good things. You would think that in a game like this which is centered on bases, they would've added more content to that system and made it more meaningful, but they didn't even bother to do that. I'm glad reviewers are actually acknowledging these flaws, and how soulless this game seems.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Paul Zuvella posted:

Remember when you are told to follow the freedom trail to find the railroad and them the password to their super secret base is literally just railroad

And they're shocked you cracked the code.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Paul Zuvella posted:

Actually some people are having fun so have you considered that they are just idiots???

They're paid off by their stream viewers or something.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Pinely posted:

There's some cool ideas in this game and it's a real shame they're wasted on this disaster.

To be clear, none of this actually works and you should not buy this game. All of these ideas are completely wasted. The game can be fun, but plenty of terrible games are fun. It's a game, if it wasn't fun on some level it'd be getting 1s or 0s from critics. You can get both Prey and Dishonored 2 for $27 right now, $3 less than the F76 discount. These are really good games that are fun, not terrible, and won't need a year of apologies and patches to fix.

Between the setting and the soundtrack, it's really sad that these aspects were wasted on this game.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

It was so disappointing that the Piper intro sequence seems like a completely different and much better game.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

She's basically the only character in the game that uses their arms. She also calls you blue even if you throw away the vault jumpsuit soon as you get out of the vault.
It's not just the animations though. She has actual character writing to start, and then they just kind of stop putting effort into her. The game would've been a lot better with a much tighter focus on Valentine, Piper, and maybe Hancock too.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Asphyxious posted:

Nah I prefer the atmospheric music, I like coming across the odd radio playing because it adds a bit of character and levity, but I never have the radio on.

Fallout 76’s music is bizarrely good and apparently made just for the game? It’s consistently spooky and sad anyway.

Inon Zur has experience making good soundtracks for bad games.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Zelder posted:

this is a place for casual hookups (giggity) in gaming.
:chloe:

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Siljmonster posted:

yeah its really bizarre how f2p games become twisted for high players, we had a guy who spent $200k in a few months with a direct line to the CEO,CFO, accountants, etc...

What can you even spend $200k on in a F2P game?

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

How the gently caress do you make a top 50 list for just 2018 games?

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

:yikes:

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

DebonaireD posted:

Lockback at least explore the map, it is very pretty and the soundtrack is good. Once you've seen all the regions I'd say you've gotten 60% of the juice, go from there.

Inon Zur's soundtrack is 100% wasted on this game.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

mactheknife posted:

One of the biggest aggravations for me is the wasted setting of this game

Wasted Inon Zur soundtrack too. He clearly put in a lot of effort.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

It's a little off topic, but the US Senate campaign I'm running is doing a New Vegas themed phone bank tomorrow for the Nevada caucus results. If you're at the intersection of progressive politics and Fallout fandom, consider signing up.

Or just click the link and look at the dumb description I wrote.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

dolphinbomb posted:

Liberty Prime is going to show up in the last episode because Bethesda can't fuckin help themselves.

Voiced by Matt Berry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Eraflure posted:

I genuinely don't understand how that man ever got a job as a writer