Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I will only play a multiplayer Fallout if I can create a character with 3 or less INT, and it automatically filters all my text and voice chat so that I can only say "DUURRRRR DURRRRRRRR HUGRF"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I won't be buying the new fallout but I will probably do another NV playthrough when it comes out

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
The best ending, as always, is to take everything over yourself

No Gods No Masters

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Neurolimal posted:

Imo Lily's "ideal" ending is bittersweet; she forgets her dead grandchildren, but now the wasteland has a mentally stable immortal superstrong grandma kindly helping youngsters :3: plus they give you a status-quo ending if you dont want to take that leap; if you tell her to keep half-dosing she remains as-is.

If Obsidian ever gets another shot at Fallout, I really hope we get to see Lily and Tabitha again.

I would love to join Tabitha and Rhonda on their adventures through the wasteland

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Keeshhound posted:

I think it was that Bethesda intentionally did a poor QA job so they wouldn't get the 85 metacritic score and be easier to acquire. It's really dumb.

with their track record if they actually tried that they'd accidentally fix every single bug in NV

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Poniard posted:

How do you even play video games "normally"? With your hands? Like a moron?

I think he means "use noclip when you come across an invisible wall"

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

PittTheElder posted:

Pretty much the same thing you do now, go on quests, explore the world. It's the part where you become literally a superhero and get to choose the outcome of the story that I hate. No other medium don't let you do that poo poo.

To take Fallout 3 as example, very little would even need to change, just the god awful ending. You can even have the Enclave or Brotherhood emerge victorious based on your cumulative actions or something if you want to make the ending somewhat malleable. Just don't make it reliant on the player to do everything, don't make the player character ultra cozy with Elder Lyons, probably replace the Raven Rock sequence with something else.

I don't want to play an action movie, or a superhero movie, I want to play a good movie. And it's not that action movies are bad necessarily, just repetitive and uninteresting.

I mean, the thing that makes games "games" is that the players actions gets to influence the world around them. If you wanted to watch a movie well you can just watch a movie

It might be what you like but I feel like a game like that would be extremely unsatisfying for everyone else

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
just gotta get killed 3 million times and eventually you'll run out of players that can harm you

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I've been replaying New Vegas for nostalgia, and because I realized I never actually played any of the DLCs.

I found a cave near Novac that I thought would be pretty easy to clear out, until a Deathclaw came around the corner and I high-tailed it out of there. It followed me out of the cave (didn't even know they could do that) but I eventually killed it after Boone and ED-E tanked all of its attacks. I thought that might have been the only enemy, so I went back in, only to be greeted my a Mother Deathclaw that killed me in one hit

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I think my copy of Fallout New Vegas is racist. All the black people in my game turned white today

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Crabtree posted:

Is Cybermonkey Todd Howard finally here to take his revenge for us making fun of his games?

don't you dare compare Todd Howard to this man

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
if you can't build Fisto and sodomize your friends whats the point

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
So there won't be quests but the game has quest items that you can't sell

Getting a real bad No Man's Sky vibe here

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Stokes posted:

My guess is that all the rare material spawns are going to eventually need to be PvPed for, much like in Fallen Earth before it got taken over by the most extreme pay to play scheme I've ever seen.

"Hail fine traveller would you like to take a look at my wares? I have recently procured some Nuclear Material as well."

"No thanks dude I have some on my pvp mule, l8r."

"also im going 2 kill u now lol"

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
There is no way that Fallout 76 will not be a success. If it's bad though, Fallout 5 will probably not sell very well

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

HitTheTargets posted:

Fallout is the greatest series to have never had a truly great game.

That or Pokemon.

New Vegas

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Kanos posted:

You're probably not going to find anything useful until super close to release. We're still at the "vague trailers and Bethesda interviews that don't make any sense" phase of the hype cycle.

Are they going to allow people to record/stream footage of the beta?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I beat Old World Blues for the first time last night, and it was amazing. I'm glad I was able to give Muggy the happy ending he deserves

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Yeah but they didn't have brilliant minds like DOCTOR BOROUS PhD MD MDD DDS MDS Esq.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Azhais posted:

Or you could just not launch the nukes

yeah but I paid $5 for this DLC and I'll be damned if I'm not gonna launch that nuke

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Reveilled posted:

I think the issue with that is that the attributes of the town seem likely to make it memorable; it’s the only town on one of only two roads to California, it’s a town which appeared on the road in the courier’s lifetime, it flies the American flag, it has a military base, it gets destroyed in a massive catastrophe.

It’s not unusual that the courier forgets the specifics of the town, but it seems far-fetched that the courier forgets there was any town in the divide, period. Forgets the road existed, period. If you’re a courier who travels far and wide, some random Podunk town might not mean much of anything to you, but knowing where places and people are, and how to get there, is literally your entire job.

It's just my interpretation, but I figured that the destruction in the Divide covered a much, much greater area than the unnamed town the courier would deliver packages to, so much so that you're not even in the general area of the town anymore, which is why the courier is a bit confused on a town ever being there in the first place.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

Lol. Arcade is the stupidest motherfucker in the game. Seriously do you guys only do one playthrough of new vegas and play it as if god is judging your every action? Arcade is a student of history. Lol.

are you mad Arcade didn't want to gently caress you or something

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

2house2fly posted:

Siding with House is the only way to do a no-kill run since every other path requires you to kill House, which makes House the best morally

you have to kill the brotherhood of steel if you side with house

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

2house2fly posted:

I was in the bunker and it wasn't lethal for me

Not everyone can guzzle a dozen stimpaks in less than a second

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

SwitchbladeKult posted:

Have we discussed yet just how stupid Caesar is for insisting that a true warrior fights using Hanzo Steel™ a machete? I feel like The Legion was doomed to losethhe 2nd Battle for Hoover Dam even if the Courier wasn't involved. Without the Courier I feel like Benny would have pulled off the independent Vegas scam with Yes Man and the NCR would have crushed the Legion... again. Eventually the brain tumors would have gotten Caesar anyways even if he managed to maintain the three way stalemate.

I mean, in a post-apocalyptic world where there's shittons of sand and grit everywhere and guns are likely to jam after a few clips it makes sense to train your dudes in close quarters combat, I think Caesar just forgot that not all of his troops are Kenshiro.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

SwitchbladeKult posted:

I would totally agree with all of that if the Courier chose the Independent Vegas ending. There is no recovering from the PR nightmare of losing years of blood and treasure to a pissed off mailman. While House's plan is to give Kimball a "Mission Accomplished" moment I feel it would turn into a Pearl Harbor moment instead. Remember, House's plan is to let the NCR win the battle for Hoover Dam then stab them in the back, stealing it out from under them. Any savy politician could capitalize from House's plan even if it isn't Kimball. The narrative is clear: the good and smart NCR defeated the Legion only to be betrayed by their friend and ally Robert House in the 11th hour! At the very least the NCR would refuse to let it's citizens go to New Vegas and they would never buy any of House's water and electricity. Vegas would wither and die leaving House the immortal technocrat of rumble and robots.

Edit: That would make a cool sequel. 50 years later Vegas is abandoned but dangerous as hell because it is full of half broken-down crazed securitrons. House has totally lost it, something having gone wrong with his immortality machine.

How would they enforce that though? Build a giant wall around New Vegas and just hope Mr. House/The Courier and their army of giant death robots are ok with that? Not to mention they'd lose the power from the Hoover Dam, severely weakening them. Either way a lot of the NPCs you meet aren't NCR settlers, they're either wandering traders, natives to the Mojave, or from unaffiliated factions like the Followers of the Apocalypse. New Vegas would be just fine.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Berke Negri posted:

nah its like some young woman is like "yeah i had a cat when i was a kid but then we had a famine and everyone ate all the cats" and this is like 100 years after the war while npcs in another town refer to having a pet cat

i think the only animal implicitly extinct are horses but that's never explicitly said in game either

Poor Freckles, thought of giant ants and died

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Wherever the Bright Followers go it's definitely still on Earth, since they're close enough to rebuild Novac at the end of New Vegas

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Boone, cuz he rarely talks, his perk is useful, and he typically killed everything before I even saw it coming

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

StandardVC10 posted:

the best voice acting in New Vegas is undoubtedly No-Bark Noonan

Don't you laugh at me, I know a spell that'll make you show your true form! Cave rat taught it to me

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
He hates hats because it rhymes with rats, which he hates

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Berke Negri posted:

i mean none of those games were doing what oblivion was doing like half of those are scripted shooters

yeah but we're talking about graphics here

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Zelder posted:

You seem to take criticism of these games very personally and it's super weird unless you're actually Todd Howard

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

2house2fly posted:

I'm not really into post-apoc stuff, I don't like pottering-about simulators, and I'm not into online play, so Bethesda Fallout really doesn't have anything for me. I mainly keep this thread bookmarked in case someone talks about how cool New Vegas was

:same:

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

the dog-bot gun they give you a criminally low amount of ammo for in NV: Old World Blues

Didn't it just use .357 magnum ammo? That was pretty common

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Muscle Vault: your position in the vault is determined by how much you can bench. Strongest person gets to be overseer. Weakest is renamed to "Donkey Boy" and has to do whatever the other vault dwellers tell them to do until they become strong enough to out-lift someone else

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

catlord posted:

I ended up with House because Ceasar's Legion is absolutely terrible, and that with the troubles the NCR was having I figured that they would be unable to hold the area for particularly long. While House isn't great, he's probably better than a power vacuum left when the NCR is forced to abandon the area or risk collapse. Did I misread the NCR's situation? I thought they were having some serious troubles maintaining order even on the home front?

IIRC the NCR's core territories were safe and secure but they've been overextending themselves colonizing a bunch of different areas, not just the Mojave. One of Hanlon's main complaints was that the veteran rangers were hanging out in Baja instead of helping hold Hoover Dam

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Berke Negri posted:

taxes often comes up with the ncr as one of its general downsides but i never really thought it was entirely clear how this was actually playing out

like if you have the NCR army protect primm they complain about the taxes but its like...what? on like, the one store where they sell dynamite and scrap metal? of the dozen or so people that live here?

or is the NCR army just going around and demanding like a 20% tribute of everything you got like they're warlords. that would definitely color things on which faction would be right to pick but i don't think it's ever spelled out to be that way. there's definitely some kind of revenue collection going on that is then distributed into public services and not just gunboat tax collection

yeah I don't recall any mention of NCR taxes being super crippling or anything, not sure what the deal was with that

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Cyberpunkey Monkey posted:

What? So procing a macroable sequence of cooldown abilities is better because you press more buttons to win teh gaem?

you could do like Destiny's bosses where you have to dribble a ball 4 times counter-clockwise while hopping on one foot and then you unload a minigun into the boss' face

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Cyberpunkey Monkey posted:

You can ban people from instancing with you.

can't wait for someone to accidentally break Bethesda's servers by banning every single player they come across