Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

chitoryu12 posted:

The worst part is that when you find Kellogg and plunder his mind, you outright see Shaun as a child! It should be completely obvious that years have passed, but the Sole Survivor will keep asking people about their baby and be surprised when Shaun isn't an infant.

I have to admit I was rolling my eyes at The Sole Survivor for thinking Shaun was a baby even after meeting Kellogg but I was actually surprised when you find out he is an old man. I give them credit for that at least. Too bad they didn't do anything interesting with it.

Just started playing Fallout 4 again after the 76 announcement and I've decided to just ignore the main quest entirely for as long as I can. Is there a way to get the Prydwen to fly in that doesn't involve doing the main story? I'm guessing no.

What's the best source of .44 ammo? I'm wanting to play through using pistols and I keep running out of .44 and 10 mm ammo. I got plenty of .45 ammo but I think the pipe revolver looks like garbage. To be fair it is made from literal garbage but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

Jeff Goldblum posted:

The best you can do is go straight to Vault 114 and rescue Nick without any direction, then start the Reunions quest. You can skip Pogmeat, Preston, Piper and potentially Paladin Panse.

Merchants only, unless you want to use the Contraptions crafting stuff from Nuka-World.

Awesome! I'll try doing that then. I had a momentary lapse of judgement and actually helped Preston in Concord although I still haven't completed not will I ever competed Meet Preston in Sanctuary.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

Hobo on Fire posted:

If you are on PC and open to mods, here is one that you could use:
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/28006/

With this, finishing the Arcjet quest and recovering the deep range transmitter for Danse sets a timer of one in-game week. After that, the blimp shows up, and the BoS will start sending their forces out into the commonwealth.
The mod author does say that you should kill Kellog before taking the vertibird up and meeting Maxon, because not doing so would break things.

Speaking of Maxon, will shooting him in the face the moment I meet him break anything besides Danse and BoS quests?

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

Internet Wizard posted:

Using nukes to get short-term resource gains for the low low cost of turning a place into a blasted hellscape seems pretty Fallout to me, though.

It’s not like Ron Perlman lectures me about my choices every time I use a Fat Man.

This. Plus the people coming out of Vault 76 are from the old world who were rich enough to get into a vault. The kind of people that took the "gently caress you, got mine" mindset to the extreme. I can totally see a bunch of entitled pricks walking out of Vault 76 thinking that since their house was blown up in the war it is their god given right to blow nature to gently caress and back to get resources to build a new house. In fact, I can totally see people like that Vault 76 crew being responsible for more destruction and irradiation of the country than China during the actual war. It would explain why places with no strategic military value where also turned into self lighting parking lots

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

Timeless Appeal posted:

I really, really, really hope that there is no standard currency in the game, just bartering. And players can organically choose some random lovely object to be the main currency like caps.

Nope, it'll be caps.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

frajaq posted:

did anyone understand what this game is about yet

My desperate hope is for 76 to turn out to be Fallout: Terraria. I'm prepared to be very disappointed.

Vinylshadow posted:

It's a Post-Apoc Murderhobo simulator

This would also be acceptable.

SwitchbladeKult fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jul 4, 2018

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

frajaq posted:

did anyone understand what this game is about yet

Fallout 4 but all the NPCs are human players.

Like, that is a cool concept but I have no loving clue how they are going to make that fun and engaging. I think Bethesda is over estimate the number of people that want to role play a caravaneer.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

CharlestonJew posted:

"also im going 2 kill u now lol"

"dont be mad brah im jus rping a raider lol"

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

I picked up the Gainer after I found a vendor that sells lots of .44 ammo. I got bored and started installing a lot of visual enhancement mods. Currently hanging out around Vault 81. Any cool out of the way easily missed stuff I should go and check out?

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

Cyberpunkey Monkey posted:

Dude. It's just gonna be fuckin' Fallout themed Minecraft. They are jumping on the survival genre bandwagon something fierce, and I'm glad for it. All of the other games in the genre have lackluster, not even mediocre, art direction.

I would be perfectly content with that! I'm really anxious for the beta to start.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

frajaq posted:

Is Fallout 76 the first Bethesda game that might sell kinda bad?

I don't get the full gamer spectrum these days but maybe a lot of them will buy it blind and will be surprised/disappointed that the game is multiplayer? :thunk:

The last game Bethesda made that really underperformed sales wise was Redguard. That was back in the 90s so I don't even know if that counts anymore.

Edit: I not only bought 76 blind but I bought the collector's edition. Am I ruining videogames?

SwitchbladeKult fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jul 6, 2018

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

Liquid Communism posted:

What's it like to be this wrong?

I mean, it's not a bad game by any stretch, but it's a hell of a distance from 'loving great'.

If you define a great game as one you've played through several times and spent hundreds of hours engaging with despite its flaws then sure Fallout 4 is a great game. But you see it actually is the worst because angry nerds on the Internet said so.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

Truecon420 posted:

Listen, I have several hundred hours in 4. I'm not sure if it's markedly worse than 3, but it's definitely a "regression in terms of the series itself." It can be a generally great game, but I don't think it's a great Fallout game or a great RPG game, and I know many people agree with this sentiment.
Also, what's with the condescension? Anyone can make a similar point; "But you see it actually is GREAT because angry internet nerds said so", but that's incredibly reductive. I critique the game cuz I care about the series, the joy of being angry and curmudgeonly is secondary

The point that I was trying, admittedly in a very condescending way, to make was that it is asinine to say that someone is an idiot for thinking Fallout 4 is "loving great". I have my own problems with Fallout 4 but it is a great game. As for why, I guess I'm just sick of the portion of the gaming community that only wants to suck the joy out of everything. You know, the ones we are also worried will spend all their time griefing people in FO76.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

That's really interesting. I wonder how that's going to play out in game. Didn't one of the designers mention in an interview they were toying with the idea of being able to trade perk cards to your friends?

Vinylshadow posted:

https://twitter.com/Endivinity/status/1014247193077616640

Can't ever go wrong with slapping heels on things that have no business wearing them

:agreed:

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

Vinylshadow posted:

https://twitter.com/Endivinity/status/1000583914115579904

Cat-sized Deathclaws is a thing I didn't know I needed

That is premium avatar fodder right there. The Regal AF deathclaw is pretty great!

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

Kind of old news but Tested did an interview with the guy that designed the collector's edition T-51B helmet. Their company is also releasing a bunch of other props you can purchase. Not sure if I'm interested in buying a replica plasma pistol but still cool that they exist.

https://youtu.be/ZYmCqB8ej8Y
The items from Chronicle Collectibles

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

Riatsala posted:

Haha, good luck

But seriously, you build a resource manager and feed it maintenance kits. All the water accumulates in your resource manager storage. Prepare to be underwhelmed by the output. For some reason the mod author placed a hard cap on purified water production, to the tune of 3 + your number of successful settlements per day. So gently caress you if you wanted to mass produce it for any reason other than sustaining yourself. Mass producing literally anything else is a-ok, though.

The vanilla game has caps on purified water production too. Anyone know why? Is there some game breaking thing you can do if you can mass produced purified water?

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

Pyrolocutus posted:

I'm thinking about reinstalling FO4 and starting a new game after having slowly petered out a couple of years ago right around the main quest stage where you commit to a faction. Are there any recommended QOL mods that improve without drastically altering the game?

Gives these a try:

Start me up - alternative start mod
No Bethesda and S.P.E.C.I.A.L Intro - removes intro movies
Easy Hacking - removes mini game
Easy lockpicking - removes mini game
Lowered Weapons - lowers weapon when not firing
Full Dialogue Interface - shows compete dialogue options
Faster Terminal Displays - does what it says
Get out of my face - let's you push companions out of the way
Value per weight indicator - does what it says
DEF_UI - makes the Pipboy interface easier to navigate
Valdacil's Item Sorting - helps with inventory management
Improved Map with Visible Roads - makes the map easier to read

Edit: added short descriptions
Edit 2: added one more

SwitchbladeKult fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jul 9, 2018

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

Pyrolocutus posted:

I'm thinking about reinstalling FO4 and starting a new game after having slowly petered out a couple of years ago right around the main quest stage where you commit to a faction. Are there any recommended QOL mods that improve without drastically altering the game?

Here are some more quality of life improvement mods in addition to my earlier post:

Visual improvements:
Roads Redone - roads look way better
NMC's Texture Bundle - a few nice textures
Less Crap Debris Textures - more texture enhancements
DYNAVISION - gives you control over the dynamic focus effect
Crafting Highlight Fix - removes the cross hatching effect on items you are crafting
Vivid Weathers - makes weather look better
Vivid Fallout - Landscapes - improves land textures
True Storms: Wasteland Edition - better storms
Fallout 4 Seasons - adds seasons
Diamond City Enhanced - visual enhancements for Diamond City

Settlement mods:
Place Everywhere - makes building way easier
Homemaker - Expanded Settlements
Scrap Everything - scrap literally everything from grass to houses
OCDecorator - cool mod that turns items static so you can place them
NSA No Settlement Attacks - I don't want random settlement attacks

Inventory:
Armor and Weapons Keyword Community Resource (AWKCR) - put keywords on items
Vendor caps - give vendors up to 50k caps

Bonus:
Everyone's Best Friend - have dog meat and another companion at the same time (best mod, gamer literally unplayable with this)

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

Rincewinds posted:

Norwegian ghouls, thank you very much. They all die telling you they just wants to be left alone or that they are finally going home.

I thought that was a neat touch. Although, my Pip-Boy said they were raiders so I slaughtered them all. I can trust I did the right thing because when has Vault-Tec ever lied to me!?

Edit: I was reading a post from 2 years ago that the Scarlet Sniper perk was bugged. Was it actually busted and if so did it get patched?

SwitchbladeKult fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jul 16, 2018

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

CharlestonJew posted:

I beat Old World Blues for the first time last night, and it was amazing. I'm glad I was able to give Muggy the happy ending he deserves

Old World Blues is the best DLC for any game ever. I enjoyed it more than the base game. Something about pulpy Lost in Space style sci-fi that just knocks it out of the park.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

Werix posted:

You're not alone. I don't really remember anything from that DLC. I played all of them, but I remember Dead Money, Honest Hearts, and lonesome road. I can't even remember the plot or anything from OWB other than the main room with all the scientist screens. It didn't leave any memberable impression on me like the others.

Mad scientist robots with severe brain damage kidnap you then cut out all your organs in an attempt to use you as a brainless shock trooper against another mad scientist robot with severe brain damage who is obsessed with giant robot scorpions with death lasers. It goes badly for them when it turns out their enemy mad scientist robot stole your brain and is using it as part of his own plans.

One thing I loved about Old World Blues was how it showed you the lengths the US Government was willing to go just to prove they were better than the communists and that they were actually losing the R&D war. The progress they had made actually came from reverse engineering Chinese tech. Everything they tried to make on their own failed spectacularly because of government corruption, cultural hubris and the atrocities they committed coming back to haunt them.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

Earlier I had asked if the perk associated with Astoundingly Awesome Tales #2 was broken and turns out, yeah, it totally was and still is! That blows my mind but doesn't really surprise me that Bethesda overlooked it. Looks like the team that put together the Unofficial Fallout 4 Patch fixed it pretty early on but I'm rolling without the DLC so I can't install it. I'll pop on over to the MOD thread to see if there is a Unofficial Fallout 4 Patch for non-DLC havers like myself.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

ChaseSP posted:

Honestly all the post scarcity tech being used for dumb poo poo/kept secret is basically perfect human nature for us being dumb asses who just lucked upon tools for destroying/saving the world potentially. People more concerned for the bottom line/keeping in control no matter what while missing the bigger picture is extremely fitting.

This perspective on humanity is one of the things I really enjoy about the Fallout games. In the table-top RPG Eclipse Phase humanity was almost completely destroyed by a runaway AI. Humanity only survived because the AI stopped suddenly and disappeared into deep space. You learn that much of the AI's early success and really the only reason it lived long enough to go out of control was due to various governments and private companies turning a blind eye, or worse, helped the AI out when it was attacking their enemies.

chitoryu12 posted:

Yeah, you really can't take Ulysses at face value. Ulysses is a loon who views the world through an obsession with symbolism and the secret meaning that he sees in everything. The Courier has no loving clue who he is, but he's crafted his entire worldview and personality around finding a meaning in the Courier accidentally blowing up his town and creates an elaborate gauntlet to try and manipulate them into agreeing with him.

And then you actually meet Ulysses and have the option to basically go "....I have no idea who the gently caress you are, but gently caress you anyway" and shoot him in the face.

Ulysses's entire life experience has been shaped by symbols. Before his tribe was assimilated their entire culture and history was expressed through the various symbols they placed on their hair braids. That's why he had a mental breakdown when the White Legs copied his braids. All he could see was the symbols that had been burned into his mind since childhood. Seeing all these patterns and meaning where there was none. That's part of why I like Ulysses as a character. His way of looking at the world is so alien that he can't function any other way.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Wasn't Ulysses also a courier at one point, too? Or at least a mercenary of some type? Or at the very least stalking us for a long time?

I could've sworn you find a document in Primm that shows he was meant to carry the platinum chip but when he saw our name on the roster he backed out in order to ensure that we got the job instead. I don't know what they was meant to imply; if that means he knew we'd be betrayed and wanted us to step into the trap as payback or if he really bought into his whole predetermined fate nonsense or something else. At any rate it kinda also implies that he was responsible for setting up the whole game and setting things in motion.

I don't think there is anything else in the game itself (outside of the DLC) that mentions or explains anything else about him. He just parachutes in and monologues at you while you slowly trudge in his direction for some reason. The only good part of that DLC was the elite riot armor, which was one of the strongest sets outside of actual power armor and came with some hefty skill and stat boosts.

Ulysses worked as a courier to spy on the NCR for Caesar. Caesar even had a rule you couldn't kill couriers because he liked sending Legionaries undercover as couriers so much he didn't want his men killing spies by mistake.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

Wasn't the whole point of the Courier character that they don't remember anything prior to getting shot in the head by Benny? Doesn't Doc Mitchell have a line about the Courier only thinking their name is whatever the player enters because it is likely they've forgotten their real name from the nearly fatal brain damage? It's been a few years since I've started a new character in NV.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

The Legion is such an uninteresting faction. All the other factions have interesting motivations, politics, cliches and subgroups. The Legion begins and ends with Caesar which wouldn't be a bad thing if Caesar was compelling in any way. He is a lot like House if you removed all the interesting parts.

They also went way too deep into the creepy uncomfortably evil angle. House is evil but he has the whole Disney but into gambling and robots instead of cartoons and robots. The way Caesar runs the Legion makes him come off like an unwashed mouth breather. Think about it, he forced everyone to cosplay his favorite characters from a book he read, makes women into literal property, has everyone worship him like god's gift to the world, thinks he sees a truth everyone else is blind to, thinks of himself as a nice guy and he is absolutely terrified of being called out for being a total fraud. All he needs is a fedora.

Edit: typo

SwitchbladeKult fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jul 21, 2018

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Shooting that Nazi poo poo stain in the face is the most satisfying feeling the game has to offer.

One of the most memorable moments in NV for me was during my NCR playthrough. When Caesar commanded his men to give me back all my equipment so I could go into the Lucky 38 bunker I realized I had a Fat Man on me. I walked right into Caesar's tent and dropped a mini-nuke right on his lap! Clearly giving the person who by all reports is an NCR sympathizer their tactical nuclear weapons back is a smart and good idea. Obviously this person you just met would never betray you! You yelled at them to assert your dominance and everything!

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

Cyberpunkey Monkey posted:

Do you also believe that actors who play villains are morally and mentally suspect? We're playing pretend. It's not real. There are never any real world moral concerns in a video game, ever.

I don't know if this is the greatest comparison. Being an actor paid to be in a production is a lot different than what you do for fun after work.

I couldn't bring myself to do a Legion playthrough. Torture and slavery are just too far for me. That said, I agree that doing a Legion playthrough doesn't automatically make you a creep. As has been said, it really only starts to raise concerns when you start fantasizing about The Legion being real.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

Byzantine posted:

I like how people wring their hands over killing the Brotherhood of Steel but are ok with killing Legion cause they're fascists

In New Vegas the BoS isn't going around murder raping everyone and is willing to change their ways, welcome peace. The BoS in Fallout 4 however are much less sympathetic.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

The Zombie Guy posted:

FO4 progress: ...

Glad to hear you are having fun! While I agree with the criticism that Power Armor in FO4 is a bit too common there is no denying it is incredibly fun to use.

One thing of note with Power Armor: if you find a suit in the wild and it is one you've already collected (like another T-45 for example) consider leaving it be and come back when you are about ten levels higher. Some armors will change depending on your character's level. I believe T-51 starts appearing around level 15, T-60 around level 30, and X-01 level 40. There is no advantage to picking them all up early unless you just want to collect them. I find they start to clutter up my "home base" settlement but ymmv.

I don't know what difficulty you are playing on but Very Hard isn't actually that hard. I have a lot of fun playing on Very Hard. Might want to give it a try. If you don't like it you can always change it back with no consequences.

Edit: fixed typos and added a bit about armor levels

SwitchbladeKult fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jul 22, 2018

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

Have we discussed yet just how stupid Caesar is for insisting that a true warrior fights using Hanzo Steel™ a machete? I feel like The Legion was doomed to losethhe 2nd Battle for Hoover Dam even if the Courier wasn't involved. Without the Courier I feel like Benny would have pulled off the independent Vegas scam with Yes Man and the NCR would have crushed the Legion... again. Eventually the brain tumors would have gotten Caesar anyways even if he managed to maintain the three way stalemate.

Did the 200+ years of stasis fry House's brain? His plan is almost as dumb as Caesar's. He thinks that breaking his treaty with the NCR and forcing them to sign a new treaty at gunpoint will result in Kimball getting voted out of office and the NCR citizens just paying the extortion money for the water and electricity on top of continuing to frequent Vegas when things "calm down"? The minute General Oliver gets back to California (dead or alive) and people find out what happened the entire NCR is going to come down on Vegas. House's army of upgraded securitrons isn't going to be able to protect Vegas from an entire nation-state. If the NCR was able to defeat several squads of BoS paladins armed with Gatling lasers, Gauss rifles and T-51 Power Armor using basic ballistic weapons and explosives then I think they would be able to handle a few thousand securitrons if they put their minds to it.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

Father Wendigo posted:

Kimball's ​popularity is already in the shitter when the game begins. The campaign to secure Hoover Dam has been stalemated by tribals in sports equipment wielding pointy sticks and lawnmower blades for almost half a decade, and mismanagement is so rife that they kept reassigning troops off guard duty at the NCRCF until the prisoners managed to take the facility with nothing but a crate of dynamite and sheer numbers. Speaking of those prisoners, the railroad that promised to allow commerce to safely traverse Nevada and was to be built with prison labor is effectively on hiatus for the foreseeable future.

Kimball came, saw, and then hosed everything up repeatedly for years. His stupid PR stunt at the dam might as well be a desperate attempt to ensure the public that the lights coming from the kitchen are merely Aurora Borealis. If the second battle of Hoover Dam ended up being won by some dumbass in a party hat who showed up out of nowhere with an army of killer robots, the public would crucify him burn him alive on a pile of tires.

I would totally agree with all of that if the Courier chose the Independent Vegas ending. There is no recovering from the PR nightmare of losing years of blood and treasure to a pissed off mailman. While House's plan is to give Kimball a "Mission Accomplished" moment I feel it would turn into a Pearl Harbor moment instead. Remember, House's plan is to let the NCR win the battle for Hoover Dam then stab them in the back, stealing it out from under them. Any savy politician could capitalize from House's plan even if it isn't Kimball. The narrative is clear: the good and smart NCR defeated the Legion only to be betrayed by their friend and ally Robert House in the 11th hour! At the very least the NCR would refuse to let it's citizens go to New Vegas and they would never buy any of House's water and electricity. Vegas would wither and die leaving House the immortal technocrat of rumble and robots.

Edit: That would make a cool sequel. 50 years later Vegas is abandoned but dangerous as hell because it is full of half broken-down crazed securitrons. House has totally lost it, something having gone wrong with his immortality machine.

SwitchbladeKult fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jul 23, 2018

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

CharlestonJew posted:

Poor Freckles, thought of giant ants and died

IMO the Legion would be a way better faction if they dropped the rape-torture camps and replaced them with giant ant taming camps. Can you imagine chopped up Corvega chariots pulled by giant ants!?

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I mean it's also the main bastion of civilization in the mojave, so... everyone who lives there is a reason to care. They need to buy stuff, have stuff to sell etc.

If you side with House doesn't he end up kicking out everyone in and around New Vegas that isn't a rich tourist immediately after he takes over Hoover Dam? Besides, what does New Vegas have to offer for trade? It is full of robots and gambling. What use is that to the surrounding towns? Yeah they got electricity and water now but they are charging way more than anyone can afford. Places like Jacob's Town are much better trading partners than Vegas. Without the NCR stuffing House's coffers he is nothing.

SwitchbladeKult fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jul 23, 2018

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

New 76 info:

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/fallout-76-beta-launches-in-october-will-start-out/1100-6460660/

BETA starts in October. Not everyone that pre-ordered will be in the BETA.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

Nothing But Hate posted:

Like everything else in my life I was late getting on the Fallout bandwagon. FO4 is the first one in the series I’ve played and I’ve been having an absolute blast farming garbage and dicking around with the settlement creator.

I’ve spent a lot of hours building this monstrosity in Sanctuary and I’m finally about finished with it. I’m pretty proud of it because I’m usually useless at these kind of things.

Here’s a link to a video of it if anyone else is like me and likes checking out other people’s creations: https://youtu.be/JhZZwretwik

Nice! I dig the gently caress-physics approach to settlement building.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

goatsestretchgoals posted:

It's leveled on zone entry so that one is stuck at T45 forever. If you had somehow managed to not activate that zone until level eleventy billion, you'd have a rusting set of X01 sitting there.

I don't think that's true. I've found armor and left it be only to come back later and it was no longer T-45. These are ones in cages you had to hack to open, mind you. Maybe that's the difference.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

Piper is a character that could be really great and has some actually good voice acting (especially compared to Preston Garvey and most of the minor characters) but the writing just isn't up to par. It feels like they try too hard to establish the "Hard-nosed scrappy girl reporter" character at the beginning with her laughably stupid plot to get into Diamond City and how aggressively she pushes the journalism angle in her first few conversations. It takes a while for her to grow on you.

I liked Piper more as the game progressed but boy is that opening encounter cringy. I really didn't like that she started hitting on the Sole Survivor a few seconds after meeting you. Her hitting on someone she just met isn't cringy, the lack of interesting dialogue options considering what the Sole Survivor just went through is the problem. You just watched your spouse get brutally murdered and child kidnapped days or maybe even hours earlier. It feels like the game wants you to ignore all that and just go along with it. You can really tell they designed her to be the default love interest for the Sole Survivor.

Then again the entire companions as love interests part of the game always bugged me. Bethesda really didn't need to make ever companion that isn't an animal, robot or super mutant dateable. It would have been nice if some only wanted to hang out and murder raiders or some only were attracted to certain genders. Would have made different playthroughs as different genders more interesting.

Edit:
What's everyone's favorite companion from any of the Fallout games. My top pick is ED-E from NV. What a loveable chirpy bastard! Runner up and the only companion I tend to use in Fallout 4 is Dog-o. Yeah, I call him Dog-o. gently caress Mama Murphy, she ain't naming my dog.

SwitchbladeKult fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jul 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

jfood posted:

it's Cass, cuz cowboy hats and combat shotguns are purestrain fallout.

While not my overall favorite, Cassidy is a solid choice! She is by far my favorite non-dog non-robot companion. Her personal quest was a lot of fun and I really enjoyed her commentary. Her perk is low-key awesome too.