Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Thanks for the new thread without ghosts, but another settlement needs your help.

What's the most underrated settlement? There's maybe half a dozen that everyone uses for various reasons, but what about the more uncommon ones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isndl
May 2, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

Murkwater Construction Site is a good place to send people you hate.

Funnily enough, that's exactly where I sent Preston. :v:

isndl
May 2, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

I don't know why you would want fallout 4: new Vegas. The mod will just be a remake of vanilla Vegas, and half the fun if NV is modding it to hell and back.

So I can build my own dinosaur theme park, with blackjack, and hookers.

isndl
May 2, 2012

MikeJF posted:

Honestly, I kinda wish there was a Fallout game that didn't even have a main storyline, just a really big loving world and lots of regional questlines.

Well you gotta have a main quest, man. How am I gonna know where to go to get my ~gamerscore~ without it?

isndl
May 2, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

I was really hyped for the gun customization, but it ended up surprisingly hard to do. You can't just remove parts from guns to create your ideal frankengun without the necessary perks and resources to craft a standard version of that part to replace it with, so unless you really prioritize leveling into that you're not going to do a lot of gun modding for much of the game.

Yeah, I'm kinda surprised they didn't just hand you all the individual mods as the return for scrapping the gun, and then you can scrap the mods if you really want that extra screw or copper or whatever. Seems like that would've been the cleanest way of handling things.

isndl
May 2, 2012

marshmallow creep posted:

So I was having a problem with Nick trying to trigger his quest. It had triggered, then I'd died and reloaded, and it wouldn't fire again. While fussing around firing and hiring him, I tried assigning him to a new town to see if I could get him to fire his dialogue, but accidentally assigned him as a caravan to the town I was trying to assign him too. But Nick didn't start marching away. Instead, he fired up his quest and decided it was time to hunt down Eddie Winter. But we wouldn't be going alone.

Ah, finally a lore friendly pack mule companion. How many doorways does it get stuck in?

isndl
May 2, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Does becoming a raider in Fallout 4 let you kill Preston?

No, he's the plot fallback if you piss off all the other factions preventing you from continuing the main quest.

As usual, the main quest fucks everything up.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

My memory might be wrong but didn't Fallout 4 have a bunch of generic villager NPCs without names? I was gonna say Bethesda always wants even their minor pointless NPCs to be actual characters to some extent, which is the way it is in TES games (excluding guards), but I don't think they kept doing it in Fallout.

I'm actually not sure why they haven't implemented more procedural generation tools for the NPCs. Names should be fairly easy to pull from a table, there's some AI variables to give people rudimentary personality, everyone already uses the same voice acting anyways, etc. Mix in a bit of Radiant quests and every generic NPC could become another Preston Garvey who you hate because he keeps asking you to get him another case of beer for the party later.

isndl
May 2, 2012
Just use the component tagging system and grab anything that has the magnifying glass next to the name when you look at it. Scrounger 2 improves it by making junk glow if it is marked.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Neurolimal posted:

Even without explosives perk Spray/Pray is pretty ridiculous, and continues mulching everthing between Bloatfly and Faction Boss the entire game. Not sure what they were thinking with that effect compared to every other unique gun that isn't Overseer.

Probably something something it's a single player game so we don't need perfect balance and it's a legendary effect so it should be strong. Or their QA process doesn't check weapon effects beyond 'is it functioning'.

Bleeding is pretty drat strong too, and no risk of mulching yourself when you try to use your shotgun to blast a dude in your face.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Neurolimal posted:

Also worth noting that Bethesda worlds tend to be at least a fourth of their story size/how they're treated. Canonically Cyrodil doesn't sail their boats on a stream you can walk through in 30 seconds.

Some day we might get our sandbox in full scale and it will be glorious as we spend literal days trekking through wilderness and starving to death because we turned on survival mode.

isndl
May 2, 2012
Okay, so Bethesda doesn't have the right to the VA they commissioned - who does? The voice actors themselves? The contracting agency? A shell company somewhere along the line? I'm assuming they declined full ownership because it was cheaper.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

The reputation system that let other npcs remember your dialogue choices was really good, so you'd have other characters notice if sarcastic Hawke was suddenly acting serious or if sociopath Hawke tried to Crack a joke.

From a technical perspective this isn't at all hard to do though, it's just that adding responses to 'out of character' behavior means additional lines and we're back to the main problem that voice acting is expensive. Especially if you want to go all the way and have unique variants where the line is the same while the delivery changes, that could be doubling or more your recording time.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I'd be cool with randomly generated dungeons, but it'll probably be a generation :v: or two of iteration before it starts to approach being reliable. They'll definitely keep some static maps for their plot happenings and the two approaches combined should be fine.

isndl
May 2, 2012
Where's my alternate start mod that lets me play as ED-E?

isndl
May 2, 2012

Riatsala posted:

Well, it helps if the distance from you to your target is less than 5 feet or more than 100 yards. Anything in between is a crapshoot.

Naw, I remember one time in NV where I was trying to snipe some dogs (wolves? coyotes?) with a Gauss rifle at long range and couldn't hit them. Turns out there's some hit registration issues and I needed to be aiming at the rear end and the head.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Vavrek posted:

:psyduck:

I had no idea. That's just ... so beautifully insane. It's like a relic from 1990s programming.

That's because it is. Development on the engine for Morrowind would have begin in the 90s, every TES/Fallout game afterwards has been iterations on that same engine. Bethesda has tried to rebrand it as the Creation engine but everyone knows it's the same thing at heart, and familiarity with the engine is how the mod scene explodes so quickly with every new game.

There's some neat tricks you can do thanks to the engine heritage too, like nobody would have noticed Fortify Restoration being insanely powerful if it wasn't for how it behaved back in Morrowind.

isndl
May 2, 2012
Maybe I'm an oddball here but I didn't like the synth storyline because gen 3 synths are far too future tech relative to rest of the setting. Tech in the FO universe is big and bulky, and while miniaturization happens (handheld lasers, nuclear powered cars, power armor, etc) there's a general sense that they brute forced their way there. Then suddenly you have people being literally printed in the span of minutes which is a level of technowizardry that does not seem appropriate for a society whose tech level is otherwise still analog.

I can get into the moral quandaries of artificial humans indistinguishable from ordinary humans but FO does not seem like the appropriate setting to explore that.

isndl
May 2, 2012
If they were growing synths in vats at approximately real time I probably would give less of a poo poo, or if they handwaved it by keeping the process in the background like the teleporter. Putting it front and center with the printing room churning out multiple bodies per day is too egregious for me.

The Institute may have a future science theme (relative to the rest of the setting) but as a general rule nothing you see in the Institute is particularly far beyond the rest of the setting except the printer. Everything is sleek and clean but it's still vacuum tubes and oscilloscopes.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Bholder posted:

oh no, is this the guy who originally complained about the lack of farms in Fallout 3?

He is the reason we have the settlement system!

No, I'm pretty sure that was Bethesda looking at the most popular Skyrim mods at the time and just throwing everything they saw there onto their feature checklist.

isndl
May 2, 2012
Robots are the best companions in FO4 because you can mod them for peak performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isndl
May 2, 2012

moon demon posted:

Played this game (76) for the first time yesterday on my Xbox, had a fun 5 or 6 hour session. Later in the evening I fired up my PS5 to keep playing and discovered that there is no cross progression at all. Shame on me for not checking beforehand, but don’t most GAAS games have that these days??? Even MLB the show let’s me do this. Bummed out.

Sony is notoriously bad about allowing cross-progression with other platforms. There are a lot of games that have PC/Xbox cross-progression but Sony wants extra money before they'll let it happen.