Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Fallout 3 is much better anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Reality Loser posted:

Fallout 3 is a much better role playing game than 4. You can actually define your character, get unique dialogue options, and solve problems in different ways. In 4, you can pick a faction and maybe pass some charisma checks in between fighting of mobs of enemies.

Yeah. And it doesn't have the dogshit Skinner box endless leveling perk tree, so it's less dismissive of your time

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

As lame as THREEDOOOOG AWOOOOOO is, I like that his radio updates on your quests actually take into account what you chose during them. Diamond city radio never really seemed to do that and it was lame.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

In Far Harbor DIMA says maybe you're a synth too, and I remember thinking that that'd be way better and more interesting. But nope!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

In fallout 4, every companion is as compelling as rose of sharon

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Lily is best in FONV. Charon is cool in 3 I guess.

The best companion in 4 is the guy in Far Harbor, which is a running theme

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

the winds are the gustiest

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

The Lone Badger posted:

One ridiculously tiny tweak that I would have personally found satisfying:

Include a few terminal notes etc about Vault 111 including subliminal learning experiments. Having spent over two centuries in the pod you have absorbed an entire library-of-congress worth of civil engineering courses and journals. That's why you can build anything, from anything. And hence why you're rebuilding the infrastructure of the commonwealth so easily when nobody else could.

The last thing fallout 4 needed was more loving terminal notes

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Keeshhound posted:

Honestly, it's the best outcome he could've reasonably expected, anyway. It's the loving wasteland and he just screams for help to the first random stranger he sees? Idiot.

There's even a bit of acknowledgement that you might do this: If you never established Sanctuary then when Piper tells you to go meet all the factions she'll point you towards Concord, where the last Minutemen are fighting

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Arcsquad12 posted:

Well the East Coast Brotherhood going back to their xenophobic ways with an extra dose of militaristic assholery was a nice addition to Fallout 4. It is fine on its own, but the implication that the west coast chapters were sick of the Lyons's poo poo and sent their top enforcer to straighten them out was a great touch.

No, Maxson is already in the Citadel in FO3. He's a little poo poo who tells you he's sick of Lyons being nice to people and wants to murder some mutants

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

prometheusbound2 posted:

What exactly would that look like? Again, the argument that scope precludes depth is flatly contradicted by New Vegas-a game built around the hardware limitations of the Xbox 360.

the new vegas wasteland is full of empty buildings with no interior

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

chitoryu12 posted:

Again, really only because of the console limitations. Mods that add extra interiors show that the game itself is more than capable of handling tons of buildings without choking.

It was also constrained by time and budget constraints. For more about this see every building in FO4 being essentially identical on the inside since making lots of setpieces is expensive

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Fallout 4 cut out all the roleplaying to focus on gunplay yet they didn't make the gunplay all that good. Game is pointless and I hate it.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Keeshhound posted:

What story is left also pulls in the completely opposite direction of the gameplay by (weakly) attempting to drive you down a linear narrative of trying to find your kid, while literally every other system in the game is about loving around wasting time doing meaningless chores for assholes or building hovels for your vassals.

It's either this, or the Chosen One for stopping the Enclave's "Apocalypse 2: Electric Boogaloo" plan to use FEV to wipe the entire world clean of everyone but themselves and start over AGAIN.

The Lone Wanderer also did the latter

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Neurolimal posted:

I think most people here dont hate it, they just feel like it's not really a Fallout game.

I believe I said this earlier in the thread, but if they had made it an original IP instead of Fallout it would have avoided a -lot- of flak. Even with the end product most of the Fallout-esque aspects are entirely visual references that could be tweaked into something else.

It'd still be empty of poo poo to do, with a pointless settlement system that offers no reward and barely works.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Arcsquad12 posted:

Does that not sound like the best thing ever? Throw some VATS targeting in with the xcom gameplay and it's perfect.

Wastelands 2 already exists and it's dogshit

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Whatever happened to wastelands 3? They did that teaser thing years ago and then no news since. Did it just get cancelled?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Garrand posted:

After giving up my raw survival run and started modding I just grabbed a mod that gave me back fast travel and quick saving. I mean, I could live without fast travel but I don't think the areas and combat are interesting enough to trek through multiple times but that quicksave thing is loving mandatory. gently caress having to find a bed to save.

I'm looking for the same. I like turning everyone into my personal army and just not focusing on combat at all myself, but of the 3 mods I've tried so far none have really worked right.

There's a very good fast travel mod for survival which enables fast travel... but only between settlements that you have a trade route to. So there's a benefit to setting those up, and it's still difficult when going into new territory, but once you set up a new base you can travel freely and still take care of Sanctuary sometimes.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I can't decide whether Fallout 4 or Skyrim is worse, but they are both depressingly bad.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

2house2fly posted:

It's so epic that they don't let you choose your gender until after the intro, which is narrated by the male player character

They could have avoided this by having Perlman do it again

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Nothing in fallout 4 is as good as the republic of Dave, qed

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

If they extract the original files then it can't possibly be illegal. This is just some c&d corporate bullshit

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

It's not transformative because they aren't redistributing the files at all. Bethesda are just crushing this illegally because they have money and are bitches

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Keeshhound posted:

That's not what transformative means in this context. Also, if it's not transformative, that makes Bethesda's position stronger, because if the use isn't in some way transformative, it has a harder time qualifying as fair use.

you can't violate copyright law if you don't distribute copyrighted files and give someone a tool to copy their own, that they already have. you don't even have to consider fair use at that point.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Wolfsheim posted:

New Vegas is kind of the aberration in that it has an ungodly amount of every weapon type (including my favorite, unarmed). Take that out and it's a pretty linear progression from F1->F4 in terms of variety, just the jump from F3 alone is pretty significant especially when you account for all the 'unique' weapons in F3 that were just the normal weapon model with a higher damage value and a different name.

F3 absolutely has more weapon types than 4

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Arcsquad12 posted:

I talk a lot of crap about fallout 3 but I haven't actually played it for years, so my memory is spotty, but are there many instances if any where there is interconnectivity between regions on the map? Like I remember the Republic of Dave or Gary but outside of those instances in and of themselves do other people in the wasteland comment on other regions?

Like, in New Vegas you can trace a line from Westside to the sharecroppers to Mccarran to East Vegas just by following the water pipes and by proxy understand why people settle in these areas.

no, it's mostly unconnected areas. though you can listen to THREE DOG, AWOOOOOOOOOOO!!! and he'll talk about the choices you made.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

don't forget THE POWER OF THE ATOM, buddy

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Neurolimal posted:

Little Lamplight was going to have some influence on FO4, with the Gunners being the Talon Company, but people balked pretty heavily at that so they changed stuff.

I do feel kind of bad for Bethesda on that front, they dont really have a mountain of established story to fall back on with FO like Obsidian has with FO1/2. On the otherhand the reason for this is because they're not very good at writing compelling characters/factions.

Shoulda had the republic of Dave turn out to have become a large and influential nation IMO

if you follow dave after his questline and protect him long enough he actually will reach an area he likes, sit down, and declare it the New Republic of Dave

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

when you play fo3 you get the idea that most of the people are just kinda waiting to die

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

frajaq posted:

bethesda please HD Remaster Fallout 3 and NV at this year's E3 pleaaaaaaase

new vegas, now with settlements

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

chitoryu12 posted:

Also I've noticed how after adding stuff to Fallout 3 that may or may not make a ton of sense but were at least neat references to do once, they kept doing it in Fallout 4 and sometimes made it even more extreme. The Children of Atom go from four or five people in one town to having an entire settlement in the most irradiated part of the wasteland. One quest with some minor Lovecraftian references now gets multiple, including immortal people using alien artifacts that are literally magic. A museum about the old world satirizing worship of a distorted historical America turns into the entire population of Boston cosplaying the Revolutionary War or baseball teams. Super mutants being common because of a vault experiment in the Capitol Wasteland turns into super mutants filling the streets as mooks that even a first level Sole Survivor can kill armies of.

An old Star Wars vs. Star Trek website by Michael Wong, stardestroyer.net, talked about this problem in sci-fi and called it a "brain bug". It was about things like the Ferengi starting out as a serious alien race that occasionally displayed greed and turning into actual worshipers of money and mercantile business, or someone going into the Jefferies tubes to fix a problem once and later seasons having practically all maintenance take place in these cramped tubes. One kinda iconic thing gets latched on and distorted until it's all you have.

Yeah. Also, Liberty Prime is funny in fo3 but then he sucks in fo4. Etc

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Fallout 2 has both a TARDIS and the guy from Big Trouble in Little China but vampires are just too far

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

There's an interesting audio interview with Todd Howard at this link where he talks a little bit about development at Bethesda and their plans for the future.

One of the fascinating things to me (and it's not the first time Howard expressed this sentiment) is that Bethesda fundamentally thinks that Fallout is an "anything goes" franchise where almost every idea can be crammed in, while they have tighter editorial control on The Elder Scrolls.

I don't froth at my mouth hating Todd Howard, he seems like a decent and talented dude who deserves accolades, but man, I can't disagree more with that philosophy. And I can't help but feel like it's very, very strange when you consider that the mission statement for Fallout 3 was to go back to the tone of Fallout 1.

I dunno how someone could play fallout 2 with it's racist Chinaman stereotypes, star trek time portal, Dr Who Robot Dog, and Dan Quayle jokes and think anything goes in the setting

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

My post is made of three short paragraphs. I'm literally dumbfounded that you managed to get tired before finishing reading it.

Fallout 1 also has stuff like that.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Speedball posted:

There were still a lot of nice QoL things in Fallout 4 over 3 or New Vegas that I'm giving Bethesda a lot more credit. Making Power Armor a walking tank that you climb into was wonderful, removing weapon durability was nice, and making it so that all the junk and poo poo you find can be turned into crafting materials gave me a reason to be a hoarder for once.

These are all reasons fo4 is awful though

Like, the crafting and modding means there's very little weapon variety; the way the power armor works means every dungeon has the same Cool Loot (a couple cores) etc. And settlements, hoo boy

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Apr 5, 2018

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

personally when i met the friendly robots and giant green men that was fine but once i found a talking lizard that was when it went too far

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

There is a huge fan patch that fixes all the bugs, but it can't fix the second half of the game being bad :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

old sailor guy in far harbor is also ok