Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
If I recall correctly, Tactics had large problems handling dialogue and questing to the levels of the originals, because the game wasn't really designed for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Halser posted:

I didn't mind that.
I did mind robots having 1500HP and insane resistances to everything, making small and big guns worthless(aside from the extremely rare gauss rifle and Browning M2) for a good chunk of the game.

I was more talking about it in the context of why it didn't get many mods. It obviously wasn't a big problem for the game's design goals.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Just wanna point out that the Fallout 4: New Vegas team is also changing stuff and redesigning some systems and not just reproducing the original New Vegas to a T. For example, the weapon mods will be turned into side-grades rather than straight upgrades, and the Survival skill will be used to govern proficiency in bows (a new weapon type they're adding) on top of the stuff it already did.

Of course, there's a good chance it might not come out, and whether you're interested in the mod team's take on New Vegas' design remains to be seen.

EDIT: More words on the weapon upgrades: https://www.facebook.com/TeamF4NV/posts/701101810277782

And an interview with the team's lead: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNWyA7YI8Pw (I don't understand why *anyone* assumed they would redo the voice acting from the ground-up, but eh, apparently that was a question that was asked)

Fair Bear Maiden fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Jan 30, 2018

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
The Institute is fascinating. Because every time someone complains about them, I find yet another new angle to dislike them.

It's just such a badly conceived, badly developed, and badly written faction, and there are no excuses for that, especially since they've had since 2008 to work on the idea.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
The NCR is referenced in Fallout 4, though they make a point to mostly reference Fallout 2 NCR rather than Fallout: New Vegas NCR.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
There are also some minor NCR references outside of it, like a file in Nick Valentine's files.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

2house2fly posted:

Its weird to me that this game that's thick with references to Fallout 3, and even goes on to reference the original games via Kellogg, doesn't include any mention of the pre-war consumables and magazines introduced in New Vegas, and in some cases introduces some new drug or something that does exactly the same thing as an NV item. It really makes me think none of the developers played New Vegas, or are somehow convinced nobody liked it and would prefer to pretend it never happened

There actually are a number of minor references, especially in the DLC. Fixer is mentioned in a terminal, the New Vegas Nuka-Cola variants are also present in Nuka-World, which also makes a reference to Sunset Sarsaparilla in one of the loading screens. Deacon tries to use Robert House as a code to override a Mr. Handy (without success) too.

I think there's a few more, but it's pretty minor stuff. Overall, the reason the Mojave isn't really mentioned is pretty obvious, given that the game is pretty far from that area geographically, though I have to admit I was a bit surprised that, considering canonically Mr. House studied at the pre-war Institute, he wasn't mentioned in any way in there. But eh, it's no biggie, no one is trying to erase New Vegas.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I don't remember the NV super mutants ever calling each other brothers. That's a Bethesda thing.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Katt posted:

This is the whole "Dumbledore was gay all along" thing.

No, it's not, we're just stating what's in the text of the game. You're bizarrely attached to your original interpretation.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
There's an interesting audio interview with Todd Howard at this link where he talks a little bit about development at Bethesda and their plans for the future.

One of the fascinating things to me (and it's not the first time Howard expressed this sentiment) is that Bethesda fundamentally thinks that Fallout is an "anything goes" franchise where almost every idea can be crammed in, while they have tighter editorial control on The Elder Scrolls.

I don't froth at my mouth hating Todd Howard, he seems like a decent and talented dude who deserves accolades, but man, I can't disagree more with that philosophy. And I can't help but feel like it's very, very strange when you consider that the mission statement for Fallout 3 was to go back to the tone of Fallout 1.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

corn in the bible posted:

I dunno how someone could play fallout 2 with it's racist Chinaman stereotypes, star trek time portal, Dr Who Robot Dog, and Dan Quayle jokes and think anything goes in the setting

My post is made of three short paragraphs. I'm literally dumbfounded that you managed to get tired before finishing reading it.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
The biggest problem with Benny is that the worst lines come in the one dialogue that's pretty much mandatory to have with him. Well, there's also the sex scene, but frankly that was hilarious and I wouldn't want it any other way.

That said, on the whole, I think the "celebrities" in New Vegas cast gave pretty good performances. Kris Kristofferson in particular was excellent as Chief Hanlon.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
The Big Empty (as a world play on Big MT) was a thing since early Van Buren plans. That's very much not a retcon.

It also makes sense that in Dead Money they'd focus on the horrific stuff in there, instead of the dick jokes.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Nasgate posted:

I wish they'd go whole hog with the random generation quests and randomly generate dungeons too.

I don't think I've ever seen words more cursed in this thread.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

You were supposed to be able to play as both in new vegas, but it got cut for time/space.

I would say that talking about this as a "cut" is a mischaracterization. It was an initial, ambitious plan, that as far as we know never was implemented even in a very early stage, in large part because apparently making the Super Mutants playable would have been really hard and out of scope for the project.

Dunno why they cut ghouls out though, I suspect reactivity.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Gort posted:

Deacon is a master of disguise and also he's using the same accent as this other character feel like mutually-exclusive statements

Like if the whole point of you is that you can't trust your appearance, then why would I trust your appearance in the very next sentence

I'm sure I'm not over-thinking this throwaway statement

Why do you hate dreams and happiness, Gort?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

corn in the bible posted:

FO4 was initially planned to have a heavy focus on neonoir kind of things, thus Nick and the Silver Shroud and looking for the son and stuff like that, but then Todd Howard saw his son playing minecraft (this is seriously what he said, he loving said it in an actual interview) and decided it should be about settlements instead.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you're probably offering a rather uncharitable interpretation of what he said.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Want to know something really cool? Power armor is just a reshaped Skyrim horse. Shares a lot of the movement quirks too!

The grandest payoff of the "horse armor" saga.

I'm gonna be honest, that sounds like a really clever way to implement that system.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
In case you wanted an excuse to debate Fallout 3's merits as a game and as a Fallout game again, here's a new video essay that argues in favor of it. It's 2 hours long and to be honest, I can think of a rebuttal for almost every point brought up so far, but still, interesting perspective:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5z8XHe2NoAE

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Riatsala posted:

I don't *really* want to listen to two hours of a person being wrong, but what the hell, let's do this.

To be honest, I think it's a good summary of the mindset that people who enjoy Fallout 3 have, even though in some cases he reaches so hard in attempting to find ways to defend its worst aspects or compare it favorably against New Vegas and 4, that it kind of loses a lot of punch.

Still, as someone who enjoys Fallout 3 as a dumb fun exploratory game and New Vegas as an interesting and deep RPG (with flaws that ultimately don't *really* hurt the core experience) I find it hard to get too annoyed even when the arguments are shaky.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Viva Miriya posted:

lmao gently caress. some cut content was meant to be cut lmao

It's arguable whether a lot of the cut content in the Restoration Mod counts as "cut", anyway. IIRC a lot of its additions was more or less completely designed by the modders based on interviews and design documents. Dunno if Kaga counts, though.

That's not to detract from the mod, by the way, if anything it makes it more impressive.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Fallout 2 had a lot of silly and outlandish elements to its story, yes, but at least I could understand everyone's motivations. Fallout 4 has its most prominent faction (the Institute) do things without ever providing a motivation for them. I mean, we've gone over this a billion time, but it boggles the mind, really, and it makes me wonder what exactly happened during development. Was there a bottleneck or some kind of late story rewrite that forced Bethesda to drop some stuff without providing some kind of replacement? It would be interesting to read a candid post-mortem on the main quest and narrative design for Fallout 4, but I don't think Bethesda ever provided that kind of insight as a company in the past (the closest I can think of was a mediocre talk from lead writer Emil Pagliarulo on his writing practices, which also raised a number of questions on the rationale behind some decisions on Fallout 4 and the developers' perspective on the game) so I'm out of luck there.

Honestly, it's disappointing to me because I thought there were good elements to the main quest in Fallout 4. the hook might be far too melodramatic and narrow for a game that encourages you to explore (although that has been true of a lot of open world games, and I think it's just more noticeable to people because it's an easier and more pointed criticism to make than the vague "the writing sucks"), but the breaks for exploration they inserted inside the first act of the main plot were actually pretty decent, I feel.

After the initial setpiece, you're simply sent to the big city, which takes a while and allows you to naturally end up embroiled in side quests and open world shenanigans along the way. Then the main quest narrows to find Nick Valentine, and Nick is a genuinely well-written and likable character, if poorly integrated into the world. Once you confront Kellogg (unfortunately a rather poorly done sequence) and get to do the flashback (an interesting but overly linear sequence when compare to something similar in Fallout 3 like Tranquility Lane) you're basically on your own again, as you're supposed to figure out a way to get through the Glowing Sea without getting killed by the radiations. Then it goes back to linearity because you have to defeat the courser, and finally it goes back to nonlinearity when you have to figure out who to build the teleporter with and where to find the materials for it.

Or... at least in theory. There are two problems. One is that the designers were entirely too enamored with their own linear story and therefore made many, many characters essential (with the story totally dependent on their contributions). As a result, these linear story segments clash pretty strongly with the design of the rest of the game (it doesn't help that, with few exceptions, essential characters tend to be poorly written).

This is, all things considered, a relatively minor problem, because in spite of the openness of the games, few people in my experience actually experiment with the game systems' boundaries while playing the main story (the players that do usually avoid the main story altogether and treat the game as a sandbox).*

The second is that every single open-ended section of the main quest is presented to the player after they've already been handed an easy means to solve it. Radiation? Ah, how could I ever figur... nevermind, the first main quest gave me a suit of power armor, which is naturally immune to radiation. A teleporter? Who could help me build it and where would I find the materi- nevermind, Sanctuary is full of Minutemen who can help me and I found all those materials during the main quest.

It's a pity, really. Lots of good ideas, but the execution is overall pretty bad. Which is kind of a summary of a lot of elements in Fallout 4 that don't concern the basic gameplay loop, which is pretty solid.

* anecdotal, and I'm very open to be convinced otherwise

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Seems like the game is set earlier in the timeline than any other, based on the trailer info (the date on the Pipboy is 27 October 2102)? And the Pip-boy looks a little closer to the FO1/2 design. Those are the only two things that jumped on me from the trailer, outside of the obvious "this is probably set in a Vault/might not be open-world".

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Every time some leak talks about PANIC MODE and TOTALLY NOT WHAT THE CREDIBLE JOURNALISTS TOLD YOU IT WAS, I smell bullshit. Doesn't help that half of the post seems to focus on how many retcons there will be and how many good old factions we'll meet. But hey, who knows.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Fallout 3 is a fun game with good quest design, but also terrible writing and janky shooting. I totally get why it's hated, especially considering it doesn't do an amazing job at incarnating some of the qualities that had me and a lot of people gravitate around Fallout 1 and 2, but on its own is a perfectly good game, if flawed.

I mean, ultimately, New Vegas shares a lot of its problems due to the same tech base and assets, and still came out a fantastic game, so those problems IMO aren't that crippling.

EDIT: I will say, agree to disagree with anyone who praises Fallout 3's writing. You do you and have fun, but I don't *get* your perspective at all.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Say what you want about Fallout 76's supposed gameplay direction, but the Pip-boy in the trailer is the best design Bethesda has produced so far for the Pip-boy. A slick mix of new and old.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Well, as of Fallout 4, Maxson supposedly has the support of the elders of the Brotherhood and is going around basically controlling territory while in the West the Brotherhood is hiding in bunkers, so the Eastern Brotherhood is arguably the main faction at this point.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
According to the comments in that Reddit thread, Rage, Oblivion and even Morrowind also got an update, so it's not necessarily upcoming remasters. Might just be a cross-promotional thing.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
There was a 20-30 minute showcase of Fallout 4 at E3 that showed the game's beginning, a very small amount of combat, Pip-boy minigames, and a TON of crafting, IIRC.

Whether Fallout 76 gets a similar treatment should tell us a lot of how they're positioning it within their current slate of games and in the franchise itself.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Tenzarin posted:

All retconned in the dlc.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Nick_Valentine

Please do not play this game to learn the story.

I've always wondered... why exactly were the original Nick Valentine's memories scanned pre-war? I... don't quite understand why something like that was done in the first place, and it was a plot thread I was hoping Fallout 4 would bring up again and elaborate on, but they never really did.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Not necessarily Fallout-related (well, not *just* Fallout-related anyway), but Noclip has published the first part of their two-part documentary on Bethesda, which covers their history:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKn9yiLVlMM

The second part will be a deep dive on the development of Fallout 76 and will come out after the gameplay reveal at Bethesda's E3 showcase.

A lot of stuff from that documentary I kind of already knew from various articles on the history of the company, but there's still a lot of interesting insight.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
More often than not, the four dialogue options would be slightly different and all voiced in different intonations while saying the same thing. I don't believe that the voiced dialogue is necessarily to blame for the railroady conversation, or at least, I don't think it's the biggest culprit.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Well, the fanbase has been asking for a lusher Fallout game for ages, and Bethesda finally delivered. I'm a bit surprised, considering the game is so close to the war I'd imagine they'd go for a more devastated look, but it definitely looks pretty.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

KoRMaK posted:

I watched that noclip docu that game out about bethesda a week ago and while it's like ok and bethesda has done stuff, they skipped right over new vegas and basically todd howard and the other people talked about new vegas like it was a terrible relative.

I didn't get that sense at all? They literally got asked if they were involved and they were like "no, we just sort of had a couple of discussions but otherwise we were busy, but we trusted them because they knew Fallout" with their producer going "I thought it was really cool! It was nice to experience one of these games without knowing everything about it for once."

Then they moved on, because... what else was there to say?

If there was any bad blood between Bethesda and Obsidian, it was probably at the management level anyway.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

Is there any proof of "bad blood" other than people online asserting that because New Vegas was better than 3, Bethesda must be super jealous?

What happened was this: someone on Twitter asked Chris Avellone, who at the time was at Obsidian, whether the sales of New Vegas shouldn't have protected the company from the layoffs they were currently going through (Stormlands had just been cancelled) and he explained that the company didn't get royalties from the game per contract, just a Metacritic bonus clause they didn't meet. This caused a huge discussion about Metacritic bonus for a few weeks, which journos knew about but the average player knew nothing about. Avellone also deleted the tweet, but the damage was done.

Obsidian's official position, according to their CEO, was (paraphrase) "it would be nice if they had given us the bonus anyway, but we didn't even ask for that in the contract in the first place." Bethesda just never commented on the controversy.

There is also a segment of the fanbase that believes that Bethesda is really pissed about New Vegas getting so much acclaim online, which somehow includes Patricia Hernandez (formerly of Kotaku), who once wrote an article about how weird it must be for Bethesda to see people claim Fallout: New Vegas is better than Fallout 3 and 4. But overall, there's 0 proof that anyone at Bethesda was even remotely bothered by the praise Bethesda got. They did deliberately chose not to draw parallels between Fallout 4 and Fallout 3 during the marketing campaign for 4, though, but I think that's more marketing strategy than an indication of the internal opinion. Plus, it's an easy way to keep the spotlight on a single developer.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I'm not into online games but this looks like it could be fun, and no NPCs means less horribly janky storytelling. Also, I'm liking the new art direction and he monsters/tech stuff they showed.

All in all, it looks good but also like a game I'm probably not gonna play.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I hope players will be able to write their own notes, so the Lovecraftian trope of someone killed while writing their memoir will become reality.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

deathbagel posted:

Vault 87 is only 50ish miles away from West Virginia, along the Potomac River also. It's not a stretch that some number of super mutants followed the river looking for food/shelter/phat lewts (aka more FEV.)

The mutants we saw in the footage were Fallout 4-style green mutants though. They did not look like the mutants from the Capital Wasteland. And the mutants in the Capital Wasteland seemingly started pushing outside their Vault more and more as FEV dwindled, which shouldn't be a problem 25 years after the War.

I'm expecting the worst, frankly: another FEV strain, which apparently everyone pre-War actually possessed.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

1337JiveTurkey posted:

"The current engine doesn't support it and the effort involved in retrofitting that capability is hard to justify" tends to be as solid an answer as any. "Then use a different one" tends to be a solid response when you've got a well written network multiplayer game engine like idTech. To my understanding the higher ups at Zenimax want more use of that engine across their studios so it's killing two birds with one stone. This just feels like it's deep, deep in white whale territory.

You are aware that this game runs on the same engine as Fallout 4, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

1337JiveTurkey posted:

I do. What I'm saying is that adding network multiplayer to the existing Gamebryo-derivative engine by way of patching in the idTech network code is not a conventional order from above. If they're going to spend that much effort modifying a game engine due to corporate orders from above, the most reasonable engine to modify is the one that corporate senior management is promoting in the first place. And if that's too much effort, I'd expect them to drop the proposal entirely.

I misinterpreted your post then, sorry.