Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:
I'm going to beat New Vegas for the first time real soon; hard to resist the temptation to go back and play my old save game after finishing this one, especially after all the poo poo I've learned about perks, ammo and crafting (thanks, NV thread goons!).

FO1 tip: while Small Guns, Melee Weapons and Unarmed are all fine weapon tag choices, you may want to dump skill points into Energy Weapons once Plasma Rifles and Gatling Lasers become accessible if you want to have an easier time with the "final boss" fight; fucker's Normal resistance is a bit nuts, and you'll only get Sniper or Slayer if you spend a long amount of time grinding Boneyard Deathclaws. Also only FOOLS start with less than 9-10 Agility.

OH, and also if you take Fast Shot and Bonus Hth Attacks, you can potentially attack 10+ times in a single turn with the Power Fist; with Bloody Mess, you become the Fist of the North Star. This only works in FO1; Fast Shot is useless for an Unarmed-centric Chosen One.

Leroy Dennui fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jan 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

dont be mean to me posted:

150/400/500 are not the only time limits.

Some of the settlements that need to survive for your ending to even pretend to be canon die horribly unless you speedrun and maybe not even then (even if you patch the ending check bugs).

From what I can recall, Necropolis is the only one that has this implemented, and even then you can avoid it by never returning there after retrieving the Water Chip, which sucks since you don't get to see Set's elated response to the Master's death unless you do things wildly out of order. Places like Junktown and the BoS have existing "razed by mutants" maps, but they aren't programmed to ever show up.

Razor's gang is bugged to have them often say "Razor got killed by the regulators" after helping them, even though she'll be standing there alive and ready to reward you. I think I even once finished the quest and returned to the map to see her only to find a pair of pants standing erect.

The Hub will disperse no matter what happens in your game.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Man why you gotta give Edgar Winter trouble, he only wanted to play Frankenstein.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Reality Loser posted:

Loading screen tip: FEV, or Forced Evolutionary Virus, was created by the Master to turn people in to Super Mutants. That's bad.

But it comes with a free frogurt!

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Neurolimal posted:

As an aside, is it ever explained why a lot of mutants have leather straps holding their upper lips up? Weird style? FEV encouraging excessive skin growth? I assumed it was just the mutant head being too heavy for the neck and needing support, but in that case they'd likely wrap around the gums as well.

I remember reading in the Fallout Bible that this is partly because the designer of the talking heads went nuts with adding little details to them, which is why Set has all this crap bolted to him and Marcus has vises on his shoulder. Avellone said excess skin growth is probably the closest to a canon answer, but it's also one of the things left up to individual interpretation for fan creations/role-playing.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Wolfsheim posted:

Designed that way, but the way they actually work with game mechanics make some traits markedly worse than others. There's basically no reason to not take either Good Natured or Skilled, and you would be gimping yourself to take something like Four Eyes or Heavy Handed.

It was really bizarre for me to actually want to take Skilled since it used to be borderline the worst trait you could possibly take in FO1/2.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Zombie Squared posted:

What do you think is the most useless skill in Fallout 1/2? Repair? Science? Traps?

Traps has to be up there.

In Fallout 1 it might be Outdoorsman; I have no clue if it does anything since the game isn't transparent about it compared to Fallout 2.

Also Gambling, where increasing it has no discernable effect on the minor part of the games it applies to.

Leroy Dennui fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Apr 17, 2018

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Neurolimal posted:

Legit question, what was wrong with it? I'm starting to feel suckered in over the box art and screenshot of three-eyed mole enemies.

From the five minutes I can remember playing, the interface is lovely, the character customization is lacking compared to Wasteland and you can't walk five feet without being killed by juggalos.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Riatsala posted:

3. Weapons don't always fire like the should. I have 300+ hours in Fallout New Vegas and I still can't get a feel for the fire rate of the service rifle. Sometimes it fires as fast as you can click. Sometimes it doesn't fire at all. The 9mm pistol is also a big offender, while on the other hand the laser pistol seems to fire perfectly every single time. A mystery.

I don't know if you're already taking this into account, but weapons do jam/won't always fire in NV if they're in poor condition. Also keep service rifles only as repair fodder for the best gun, the Survivalist's Rifle.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

antidote posted:

Haha, in the Fallout 2 manual didn't it state that Dogmeat (or Ian) died in the base? I guess that's as canon as it's gonna get.

I had the big box versions and I threw them away later because I was tired of storing them. Why, god.

Dogmeat died in the base; Ian got killed by super mutants at the Necropolis watershed.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

You get Desert Ranger armor and the Survivalist's rifle. Armor is cool but the rifle is my favorite gun in the game

Whatup my Grunt-taking, 12.7 mm-hoarding buddy :hfive:

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Viva Miriya posted:

I think im gonna finally boot up fallout 2 with the fan restoration patch or whatever. I got bored quick when i got to the first town because double checking guides to make sure i did "all the things" got old after 1. Also i loving loved 1.

I kinda wanna minigun the poo poo out of people even if it isnt optimal because i did optimal in 1. Any suggestions?

Be prepared to either go without a decent weapon until the midgame or get fed up and head straight to the New Reno Arms basement for the electronic lockpick needed to break into the Toxic Caves' secret stash. You could also train up an alternate combat skill (Unarmed has a few opportunities to raise it without skillpoints, or you could track down as many issues of Guns and Bullets possible for Small Guns) or pick up some NPCs. If you want Vic in your party, pick him up early enough so he can level up and get some HP; he kept dying when I picked him up late in the game in my previous playthrough.

Iretep posted:

whatever you do dont take fast shot trait since not being able to do groin shots is unbearable.

You can't minigun people in the groin, which is a drat shame and should've been something you could rectify with a high-level perk.

Leroy Dennui fucked around with this message at 02:09 on May 21, 2018

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Heh, having confidence with Small Frame and 5 Strength on what will be a Big Guns character is proof you're quite familiar with isometric Fallout :v:

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

ToxicSlurpee posted:

In Fallout 1 the burst fire build could get nuts because fast shot applied to all shot types so you could get two burst fires in a round with some left over. In Fallout 2 that led to the 1 AP plasma gun shot which...wow. Everything melted.

Hell, not just all shot types, practically all weapons (don't remember if throwing is affected). With Bonus HtH Attacks and Fast Shot, all Unarmed weapons only used 1 AP per attack; there's nothing quite like punching the Master to death within a couple of rounds. The trait was changed in Fallout 2 to only affect Small/Big Guns and Energy Weapons.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Skim Milk posted:

I'm dumb and watched MATN's video and also I'm extra dumb and now want to play FO3. What are the bare minimum mods to play FO3 ityool 2018? Mostly looking for QoL/Visual/Bug-fix stuff and maybe some basic balance fixes

p.s. I have a poo poo PC (geforce 750m)

FO3 and NV run decently on my Radeon R4, so you should be fine barring mods that actually make FO3 not ugly, or ones that overpopulate the Wastes. The game does have issues with Win 10; ToTW with NV crash prevention mods is what I think most people use to get around Win 10 issues.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

HorrificExistence posted:

After you find the GECK and "return" to Arroyo, are there any time limits in Fallout 2?

I recall reading the game kicking you back to the main menu if you play for an absurdly long amount of time, which happens independent of quest status; this is the result of programming/hardware limitations, and may have been patched out by this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

I saw a Baby On Board sticker on a passing car today that was like, a baby with shades or something. I initially mistook it to be a sticker of this dude on the right, which is practically the antithesis of a Baby On Board sticker:

Leroy Dennui fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Aug 15, 2018