Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
What I'm wondering about with the settlements is- most of the time they show them, everything is just randomly placed on the ground out in the open like a hobo. Yet they did show a tiny bit of someone making an actual building... so then why were most of the bases they showed hobo bases? Did most other people in FO4 just place all their crap on the floor out in the open?

I'd definitely want walls and a roof so someone with a sniper rifle can't be taking potshots at me while I'm doing fallout stuff at my base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Stokes posted:

I think a better and more realistic and more interesting way to start Fallout 76 for everyone is to let people choose which vault they want to exit from. And when creating your character you can pick vault specific traits. They way it is now is kind of boring and doesn't really make sense if they are sticking with what the trailers are showing us.

I imagine your vault and leaving the vault would be instanced at first and you'd get connected to the server at some point outside.

Otherwise you could have a bunch of people milling about just outside the vault, which would be weird...

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

would it? in the other fallouts, the vault dweller was leaving the vault more or less alone. the entire premise of f76 seems to be a mostly-functional vault empties it's population into the world.

Could be, I have no idea.

I was going off of what nerds on youtube said- in the trailer the date when the vault was supposed to open is different than the date on the pip-boy. Either a continuity error or implying that the PC has some sort of reason to be the last to leave the vault. And considering the abandoned state of the vault in that video, I was leaning towards the latter.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Psychotic Weasel posted:

A lot of people reacted to Oblivion in the same way they may react to someone stabbing a knife into their face and I never really knew why. I guess they were just angry at Bethesda messing with the franchise's lore in much the same way Fallout fans don't like them mangling that franchise's lore. Understandable but they also have to realize that a lot of the lore is just people making poo poo up on the fly and running with it. Even the guy who created the lore couldn't settle on what the actual story was.

I think it's a mix of nerd culture and nostalgia.

I played Morrowind (on the old X-box, I know, I suck) an it was ok, fun even. Ball-bustingly tough, I had to use some cheat codes to give myself refilling health but could still get one-shotted by enemies (loving dremora...) I didn't understand where I couldn't go or get the idea that places were too high level for me. Lots of frustrating things (like the directions NPCs would give you were really vague sometimes, it was hard to know where to go).

But I still remember the moment I realized that every door in the game could be opened/lockpicked. Compared to Half Life (which I loved) which was basically hallways with "real fake doors" pasted every so often that you couldn't open. Man I spent so much time figuring out how to steal the treasure in those vaults...

So I got Oblivion when it came out, really loved it too. They made a bunch of improvements, quest marker in the map, fast travel instead of walking, walking, walking... Some dumb things like seeing bandits in high level glass armor try to rob you when you got high enough level.

Thing is- I went on the forums and there was so much hate. Like you said- people acted like the game killed a family member of theirs. It was a betrayal of everything Morrowind stood for or something. Whatever.

Really weird thing it after Skyrim came out. Same story, some improvements, some flaws. It looked and played much better but was kind of lacking the crazy quests of Oblivion (remember going into the painting?)

The weird thing was that now on the forums everybody remembered Oblivion like it was the Best Game Ever, and they hated Skyrim and thought it was killing the franchise.

I think it was nostalgia changing how people remembered "that awesome game from their youth" combined with the Simpson's comic book guy "worst _____ ever" attitude you see so often in fanboys.

Same thing is happening with Fallout. Had a guy flat out tell me not to buy it, it "wasn't a real Fallout game", ironic because fans of the original would probably say that of all of Beth's games...

I told him I'm gonna play it anyway, don't care, looks fun.

Todd Howard and Ken Levine are basically the two game developers I'll always give a chance because I've always enjoyed the games they make.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
Do they really need to even send copies to reviewers these days? I personally don't visit any games sites anymore, I just watch the gameplay on YouTube to see if I'm interested.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Rinkles posted:

Strictly speaking, this isn't Bethesda proper. Bethesda Maryland is involved, but Austin (rebranded with the Bethesda name in March) appears to be the primary developer.

I'm hoping this means that Beth Maryland is working on a new engine for Starfield (and TES6 and FO5 as well).

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Sheen Sheen posted:

Would somebody please tell me the EXACT number of hours I need to play each and every video game before I'm allowed to form an opinion about it?

Your avatar is perfect for this post.

Also someone mentioned mods- Fo76 isn't going to have mods right?

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Riatsala posted:

I've always been a little unnerved by shooting people preemptively because my pipboy labeled them "Raider Scum". I think it would be a neat mechanical twist (in a non-Fallout game) to have the same sort of dehumanizing combat labels only to realize that the "raiders" or whatever are sympathetic beings in some way.

Did you ever play Spec-ops: The Line?

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Why would someone play a game they aren't enjoying or having fun with?

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Obsidian is going to be the next domino to fall - just you watch.

Even if The Outer Worlds succeeds Microsoft is going to carve out Tim Cain's soul, right before they carve his heart out of his chest.

KALI MA! KALI MA!

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Another Bill posted:

Jesus Christ how is this loving game not $20 yet

I got it for $25 on Amazon.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

RoadCrewWorker posted:

remember when we all thought furries and bronies were the weirdest most off-putting thing on the internet. you know, before nazis became en vogue on social platforms

How naive and innocent we were, it all seems so quaint now. These weirdos aren't even wishing painful death on anyone

I mean, there's more than a bit of overlap between the two...

:nws: I guess? (furries with Nazi poo poo)

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Dustoph posted:

I've ignored this entire release. Where can I get the best run down of what the game is currently like?

I got the game last month for $25. Been having fun, have yet to actually team up with anyone. Just wandering around and exploring mostly, taking my time. For all its flaws, the game has a good game world map.

A few bugs and a couple of crashes in that time. Nothing bad enough to make me stop playing.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

sharknado slashfic posted:

(exploring a world with no npcs, collecting tissue paper and crack vials and building bases that no one but you will ever see.)

Well, somebody might see it maybe. So base building is like 0.05% less of a waste of time!

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Magmarashi posted:

They haven't removed any food spoilage perks from your actual Perk selection OR the backpacks you could make, nor have they nerfed scrap collecting on your own so unlikely?

These things are a bit like the repair kits they sell, they're really just inferior versions of solutions available in the game (the improved repair kits you get in-game over repair where the ATOM ones do not) that I guess are just there for people with more money than common sense?

I just plant some corn next to my base. Craft some corn soup when I start my day, food and water. Don't really see the point of the fridge...

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Wolfsheim posted:

Bethesda to issue replacement helmets but the new ones all have fire ants in them for some reason

I'm ants-in-my-helmet Howard!

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Another Bill posted:

Yeah he gave some ammo and purified water and a sweet Ritual Mask that makes me look like a True Detective villain. I was on the fence about doing a melee build but Ritual Mask + Baseball Bat is legit creepy and I'm gonna roll with it.

There's also a chainsaw. If you don't have it out, it is silent. Creep behind someone who's unaware and then just as they're turning around whip it out and start revving it.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Chomp8645 posted:

Preposterous! The FEV-2 virus doesn't destroy the reproductive organs of those it mutates.

Question: Is the FEV virus sexually transmittable?

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
Just to understand- nothing in the base game is changing? I don't play with anyone else so I don't care about private servers (or even the stash limit really)

It doesn't sound like this changes anything for me. I log in every so often, putter around and explore, maybe do a quest.

I still feel like I'm getting my $20 worth out of the game.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

chaosapiant posted:

Would you play a monthly fee to play Fallout 4? Because that's what's about to happen.

What? You can still play the game as normal without the subscription.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Tubgoat posted:

Fallout 3 base game, no expansions, for Steam, does NOT launch on Windows 10. gently caress the absolute poo poo out of you, Microsoft, more than ever before. The launcher comes up and the whole thing quits when you click play.
Now, before I drop precious money on the Game of the Year Edition, will it run? If anyone knows for sure, please tell me.

Jon of Many a True Nerd is doing Gun Runners' Arsenal challenges and one of them is Deathclaw Pro Hunting. This link is to the money shot, right here. It is a pro click, imho.
https://youtu.be/AOI8pL2kR0w?t=1441

Console supremacy FTW

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
Fallout 76: It's not the best choice, it's Bethesda's choice!

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
So if you subscribe for one month, do you get to keep using the tent mini-camp after the sub lapses?

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Bofast posted:

If this is real then it's just a hilarious amount of stupid :allears:

It's people trolling the folks on :reddit: raging about Fallout 1st.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

No Mods No Masters posted:

I hate the pip boy. I detest his mugging smile, his yellow plastic coif, his endless cartoon antics

Pip boy is love, Pip boy is life.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
I love how we've had two Halloweens pass with the same title.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

i flunked out posted:

the greenhouse clear glass walls

They are the only thing I'm working towards, really.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

i flunked out posted:

The rewards for season 3 look really bad lol

I haven't looked at them yet.

I hope they're bad just so I can take a break next season.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

buglord posted:

Also does F76 have base building? It was legit one of my favorite parts of 4.

It's honestly my favorite part of the game. Building stuff is fun, and seeing people come buy to visit and buy stuff from you is even funner.

The map is probably the best/most interesting of the bunch too.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Roman posted:

Saw this shelter on a F76 stream earlier. This is what I aspire to when I eventually make a "trophy room" type deal for mine

That is pretty cool. I wish you could have displays in them.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Celebrity Ghost posted:

Thanks for the replies. If I understand right, then, then the DR on Ironclad is probably a terrible cost/effect ratio? Are the DR perks even worth it for leveling? I'm new, so all I got so far is basic leather.

Mutations seemed really useful so I would definitely want a bunch. I assume the serums are the way to go over random radiation luck? I only have 400 caps to my name so those a far away goal.

You'll want "starched genes" at level 2 before you get mutations, and I think that is available around level 30 or so.

I'd just visit player's vending machines to find the ones you want as you're playing and just stash them till you get starched genes. Serums show up under the "misc" category on the vending machine map icon I think. Bird bones, speed demon, and marsupial are must haves for me, I also like healing factor, it heals you automatically but I never play bloodied builds.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

New Leaf posted:

I wish relocating wasn't such a pain in the rear end.. I moved my entire house to a new spot I liked but it was wooded and the tree branches cut into my house. I had to remodel half the house and now I'm going to spend hours loving with the lights.. So I know when you relocate your camp initially it packs your whole house up into a template so you can plonk it back down - there's no way to bundle it back up without moving your CAMP again is there?

Not really, there's a blueprint function but it is notorious for giving you the "cannot place item" message.

The shelters on the other hand - since they're a separate instance you can move with no problem. Even scrap the entrance.

My current camp is now just a place for my vending machine, a seedy shed for my generator and junk robot, and my water purifier farm. My actual camp is in the shelter.

Also- you can place the door entrance on the flat side of a concrete floor ramp to make a compact entry.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Sensenmann posted:

Thanks to linear growth you basically need to double the XP gained every 100 or so levels.
I'm level 706, I literally need 113,000 XP to get to 707. :)

Without double XP, the only way I actually get the daily level up challenges for the seasons done are the lunchboxes and a generous helping of food buffs. :)

I'll add this in case people don't know, but if you want to pop out the "level up" daily in just a few minutes:

Make a new character- beeline out of the vault (don't bother to pick anything up)

When you get out choose agility for your perk along with action boy or girl (this level up doesn't count for the daily)

Beeline straight to the wayward (check and see if any public teams have any members or CAMPs near there to avoid the long walk)

Go to the overseer's camp, loot the toolbox for mats and craft a board and a piece of leather armor.

Go into the wayward and kill the raider. Mash "X" or whatever to speed through the convo with Duchess. When the conversation ends you'll level up.

Quit the game and delete the character. I name my level up character "G" to make that easier.

Repeat as needed.

I know you can level up by just playing the game, but if you're pressed for time or just want to get your dailies out as fast as possible to go do something else, this can be helpful.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
I just go with T-51.

There's a youtuber (Angry Turtle maybe?) who did a test and found that despite what the numbers say, there isn't any real difference. Excavator provides as much protection as X-01 at higher levels. Different rad protection rates but there's a legendary perk for that now.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Twincityhacker posted:

Yeah, they are listed on the worldmap... but it's World Map/Challenges/Badge/Goals.

And half the time I immedietely forget what I just looked at.

EDIT: What do everyone's legendary perk situatuon look like? I have Ammo Factor, two ranks of Infiltrator and Legendary Luck.

Ammo factory x2
The rad one x2
And 1 point in the survival one.

I like not having to worry about rads or carry radaway, disease cure, food, or water.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

i flunked out posted:

Yeah, I understand that equipping those perks makes it so you create considerably more ammo, but you really keep it on all the time? that seems like a waste of a legendary card spot. Do you also roll around with ammosmith and super duper on all the time too?

substitute the burrows with a ton of different places on the map and that's how I farm mats anyways lol.

I only ever use primed weapons, so its insanely easier for me to sit in one room in the daily op shooting wave after wave of enemies (you don't need to actually run it if you're just farming ammo, and if you do take your time and complete it you still get an ammo reward) than it is to farm lead, steel, acid for the lead ore/gunpowder, raw flux, and the mats it takes to turn the raw flux into stable flux.

I swap out ammosmith and super duper when I'm not making ammo, but I think swapping out a legendary perk costs perk points right? (Or whatever they're called)

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Twincityhacker posted:

I am currently running a Rifleman build, but I am wondering if Commando build would be better? My go to weapon seems to be either my handmade or my legacy two-shot explosive lever action when going against boss monsters.

I can't run bloodied because I'm just not good enough at shooters to gently caress with it. I've only rolled non-helpful junkie gear, like pipe weapons and rolling pins so that is currently off the table as well.

I'm looking forward to an answer to this as well.

Last time I heard on Reddit, rifleman was bad and commando was the new hotness. Though sometimes those guys take an mmo-style view on things where only the min-maxed builds are promoted and anything that gets even slightly less DPS gets called trash.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
Is using non-power armor viable?

I was playing my commando rifle character but it seemed like I had to keep repairing my armor every 10 minutes (compared to my PA heavy weapons guy who hardly ever needs to repair armor).

Am I missing something here?

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
It's honestly painful playing without marsupial and bird bones. Saved my life more than once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
I'm probably not playing this game right, but this is the build I've been rolling with I use a Final Word .50 cal I bought for pretty cheap at a vending machine. Between ammosmith, super duper, and the ledgendary perk I never run out of ammo. In fact it's the only gun I carry on me most of the time. I always use power armor, playing without a jetpack just isn't the same. (and the no fall damage comes in handy too)

Bloodied builds don't appeal to me, I don't care if I can one-shot Earl, or Pete, or whatever his name is (I haven't gotten around to doing that one yet) In fact I haven't even finished the main story, always log in intending to progress it and always side side tracked with some BS, or visit people's CAMPS, or rebuild my own yet again...