Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Re-posting this here, for posterity. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxcwoRyaGqI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

i would say, more than that, they're a jack of all trades for batshit unchecked ambition.

like, the whole problem with Bethesda games is that they're punching several weight classes above their weight in what they go for, meaning they don't have the ability to properly polish anything if they want to get something out the door.

Ambitious, overextends itself, has some serious game development problems at its core... So what you're saying is that Bethesda is the NCR? :v:

RBA Starblade posted:

Lonesome Road really needed an option to explain to Ulysses what couriers actually are.

Or better yet, an option to tell Ulysses he's got the wrong person.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Wolfsheim posted:

I'm curious if DOOM would be as sleek and fluid as it is if they had to render a static open world that keeps track of every coffee cup you decide to hoard. I suspect that the reason we don't see any real Bethesda competitors in the open-world cup-hoarding genre is because of how hard it is to keep track of all that bullshit in-engine. Like, Witcher 3 may come the closest, but it doesn't do that thing Bethesda games do where you can walk into some guy's house, steal the forks (and only the forks) and start knocking all the food off his dinner table, then go home and make a shrine out of all your stolen forks in the shape of a giant ur-fork.

I still think MGSV's Fox Engine would fit Fallout more. It's got beautiful sprawling maps, you can stealth past enemies or shoot them or punch them, plenty of guns, you can grab just about any equipment lying around (or even the enemies :v:), and you can even team up with your dog and give them orders.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Avalerion posted:

In Elder Scrolls's case "race" would be referring to cat people and lizard people.

I know cat people would sound like they're constantly judging you but how would lizard people sound like?

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Wasn't there cut content where you can let out the monsters they've locked up and they'll kill everyone in the Thorn? I remember Mr. New Vegas mentioning it when I looked up the clips of the news radio.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Wolfsheim posted:

Ehhh, is the Institute really that out of place when Big MT exists? Strip away the cartoonishness of the Think Tank and it's basically the same thing; a collection of scientists living in an underground bunker for so long that they've lost their way and are now just churning out experiments for the sake of it. They both even have crazy blue sci-fi magic teleportation as a significant plot point.

I'm also not sure synths are any more absurd or tonally dissonant than invincible hard-light hologram guards, even if Obsidian's writing is a lot better about making you take a ridiculous concept seriously :shrug:

I think the difference there is that Big MT and the Sierra Madre are only in the DLC, and the New Vegas DLCs are a different genre unto themselves. On the other hand, the Institute is front and center part of the main plot and it really sticks out like a sore thumb.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Apparently there's a Fallout boardgame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJ6ZXhhB2b0

I was kind of excited that it might be set in FO1 because of the cover. But then it turns out it's set in FO4 instead. :geno:

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

chitoryu12 posted:

So the Courier gets a message from a guy he's never heard of before, fights his way through the Divide, and finds himself confronted by a guy who structured this entire elaborate gauntlet with a dramatic finale in a nuclear missile silo....and the Courier has no idea who this dude is. Ulysses is little more than a stalker at this point who views the target of his obsession from afar and has crafted a complex narrative around their interactions without realizing that he's the only one playing this game.

I'm just sad you couldn't dunk on his delusional rear end by going:

[Speech 100] Um, I think you got the wrong person? I'm actually Courier Three.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

But isn't the main difference here that in Lonesome Road, it's Ulysses who prepped and started the nuke's launch, not you. So you're forced to make the best of a lovely situation by choosing which faction the nuke will target, or allow ED-E sacrifice itself to prevent the launch.

Meanwhile, FO76 treats launching nukes like some fun thing to do just because.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

alpha protocol was really fun and not very buggy in my experience so :shrug: idk what to tell ya dude lol

didn't some noob developer say 'A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad.'?

I'm laughing that you just called Shigeru Miyamoto of all people a noob developer. :v:

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

It's funny how New Vegas' themes of how people keep aping the Old World without understanding it is pretty much an indictment of Bethesda's handling of the Fallout IP.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

TulliusCicero posted:

Joshua Graham might be my favorite because of how completely calm and unsettling he is. He isn't a bad guy per say (he definitely was: he is seeking redemption in his own way and has found a renewed purpose by believing he was kept alive by God (albeit in constant immense pain) to defend this pacifist tribe in Zion, as he is willing to do the horrible things they can't.

He's a really complex character with very interesting motives

For me, one of HH's biggest flaws is that Daniel doesn't have the charisma or excellent VA performance to stand toe-to-toe with Joshua Graham. It's just hard to consider siding with him because Daniel's not really all that compelling.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

The way I did it, I mined the entire platform to hell and back with mines and the C4 I got. I stood back to the force field surrounding me and Elijah, killed one of the gun turrets with the holorifle and then reloaded. Killing a turret would make Elijah turn off the force field to come into the room. Normally, the force field will knock you back so you can't escape that way but the reloading animation bypasses that effect. So now I'm safe on the other side and get some catharsis watching Elijah walk around getting blown up. :v:

Wrr posted:

Why bother taking the gold bars when turning them into a usable currency was a big pain in the rear end and there really wasn't that much to actually spent caps on?

I put all the gold bars in a bathtub with some of the t-rex figures so my character can take a bath in it. :homebrew:

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

chaosapiant posted:

So originally I'd asked how the Atom RPG is aside from the racist poo poo. Instead I got nothing but more comments about the racist poo poo. I'm not even talking story stuff, but the whole package. Does it run good? Is it buggy? How's the character leveling/advancement system. Are there party members? Are they good? How's the choices/consequences part of the narrative? In other words: does the game go after all the things that made Fallout 1/2 good games. If the racism poo poo is super-pervasive then I'm probably going to avoid it either way. But I kinda feel like the few things I've seen posted as "racist" are definitely walking the line but I haven't seen anything I'd classify as a put-down. I know that's subjective for everyone, but an old dude wringing his hands greedily could just be an old dude wringing his hands greedily. If it's preferred I not bring up or ask about the game or if everyone's intent is to dogpile me to tell me what a piece of poo poo I am, fair enough, that's your right and I'll leave it alone. My intention and hope is not to poo poo up the thread. I just feel there's a dearth of good post-apoc RPGs and the Fallout series is moving further and further from the sort of setting I'd enjoy.

Thing is, there's no "walking the line" when it comes to bigoted poo poo. This isn't "a creator is revealed to be a piece of poo poo" situation where you can at least learn to still like something despite knowing what the creator's like. This is a situation where the dev team looked at the racist content they created and didn't think that would be harmful to others.

While I can understand your desire to be able to play a good game with things you like in it, you're basically saying that you can overlook bigoted things in media as long as it's good enough for you.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Valtonen posted:

Maybe not all but at least a few of the main settlements requiring some nonradiant, no-retard quests that then show up at the ending, such as clearing the gunners from whatever town it was where the minuteguys got killed at thats then totally forgot about by the plot?

Valtonen posted:

The Institute sounded absolutely out of place retarded already at fallout 3 and bethesda never figured out a single reason for their existence on the years between developing 3 and 4.

Hey, c'mon, there's no need for ableist slurs like that.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Ulysses wouldn't be so terrible if you had the option to tell him he's got the wrong person.

<Ulysses> Courier 6, it's time to settle this.
[Speech 100] Actually...I'm Courier NINE *show identification papers* See? Easy mistake to make.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

chaosapiant posted:

I really love the synth stuff in Bethesda's Fallout. It's the only new thing off the top of my head that they brought to the series that was fresh and not crap. The biggest let down is still having so many questions about The Institute not get answered. I get some ambiguity, and they do that (fairly well) with a lot of Elder Scrolls lore. But here it just feels they didn't think it through, or didn't care. Why is the institute kidnapping people and replacing them with synths? We know it's to "observe" them, but to what end? Are they trying to replace humanity with robots? How does that even work? Are they trying to create a construct where our minds could be uploaded to? I'd buy that, and it sort of aligns with Big MT research, but it's never stated. It's just big ambitious "stuff" that's never explained or acknowledged. Aside from the dumb poo poo "father" knowing that you escaped the vault and doing nothing to find you. And since you fight plenty of synths in the game, just a quick line at the end like "I sent synths to find you/bring you to me/lead you here, but we have someone trying to destroy my work from the inside and the synths were instead sent to kill you. I need your help to find out who and I'll explain everything." How is that so hard?

Aren't the synths more or less lifted straight out of Blade Runner? Not sure I'd call it fresh if that's the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I think the Boomers are trying to move forward as well. Once the Courier gets to them, Pearl uses it as an opportunity to try and have the others start getting used to outsiders. You can even convince them to let that one Crimson Caravan employee to stay with them, and some of the endings have them start venturing out in the wasteland.

SwitchbladeKult posted:

Edit: I also just remembered the Boomers had a museum to their glorious history that they used to indoctrinate their children in a very creepy cult-like manner.

I don't remember if other kids go into the museum. The only kid there is the tour guide, and I think he's just filling in for the actual guide.

The one that's more of a creepy cult to me is Jason Bright.