Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Tei posted:

I work on the software industry (but not on videogame, so I have not special eyes). And I have seen many times where something is a bug to some people, and for others is a usability problem.
Or the non-existence of a feature is considered has a bug by a customer.

I don't remember a good example to tell you. You should either trust me here, or not.

Anyway we have this little anecdote about gandhi...
https://kotaku.com/why-gandhi-is-such-an-rear end in a top hat-in-civilization-1653818245

yea, it was a bug, but it added flavour to the gandhi character in the original civi. So the next games replicated the bug, and then it was another feature.
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Rinkles posted:

Wtf? Second legendary, second time no legendary gear.
just another one of tei's feature's that should* be getting fixed tomorrow

*lol maybe??

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
yeah shooting something with a minigun and watching it become invincible is a feature guys

we'll all be amazed in years when invincible NPCs are roaming the wastes and the only way to damage them is a 1,000 atom unlock from the cash shop

thats straight up good design

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Maxwellsdemon posted:

So glad I passed on this. If it ever hits :10bux: me and some friends might grab it.
six months of patches and improvements might make it worth it but don't hold your breath

and yeah about $10 to $15 should be the most you're willing to throw away on this garbage atm

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
lol yeah just tried to see if I could get in on any of my characters and nope

has nothing to do with the weight glitch since I had way less than max carry weight

all of them were in power armor though lol

jesus gently caress bethesda maybe don't break your game more than loving usual on the first major patch lmao

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
cucumbered again

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
ok so to get back in you have to create a new character for some reason (if you hit the char limit you gotta delete one and remake one from scratch). once you get out of the vault with the new character, your other characters load just fine

also

confirmed: infinite carry glitch is still active
confirmed: infinite exp/dupe/cap glitches are still active
confirmed: game still bad

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
like obviously they can't fix anything without a major rewrite so just go hog fuckin wild in this bad broken rear end buggy piece of poo poo

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
confirmed: game actually kinda runs better? probably because no one can actually log in without an arcane work around lol
confirmed: NPCs still go invincible when shooting with high fire rate items (miniguns or explosive weapons) due to client/server prediction being loving awful, so lol
confirmed: player inventory and stash still has random invisible items that increase weight (clearing out all inventories by dropping them on the ground and then putting them back seems to work for some people and reduce overall weight) -- this is caused by client/server issues btw and much more noticeable on full servers or servers with nukes. you basically create duplicate hidden items when you try and move things across inventories or trade to players that continue to stay in your inventory when there's lag on the server, which is fuckin always

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Rinkles posted:

Holy poo poo, the carry weight bug happens *every* time you log in. I thought it was a one time glitch from the patch.

Other buffs, like SPECIAL stats, are also affected.
they were probably tryin to kill the carry weight glitch and hosed it up royally

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
holy lol

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

pnumoman posted:

Bethesda and this launch are just an endless stream of amusement.

To everyone still soldiering on with this game: I honestly do hope you guys get a working game at some point. Hopefully they won't just abandon this game in a few months when it becomes obvious they milked as much as they can from you all.

Ahahahaha, this moronic company thought this flaming pile of poo poo would produce revenue forever and ever. :roflolmao:
they'll need to get the servers stable enough not to crash during end game content. like that would be a first good step. but touching anything besides basic and necessary fixes I have no idea where they'll begin

already people are stomping around at level 150+ duping severely overpowered items and dropping them during the end game raids, and those same people are dropping plans to everything and anything, and they also have thousands and thousands and thousands of caps. whatever half-baked "economy" they thought up is DOA due to exploits and idiotic game design, and I'm not entirely sure what the fix is for that. maybe they'll go "WELP PRIVATE SERVERS START A NEW CHARACTER LOL" and leave players to do the grunt work of moderating and policing Bethesda's own playerbase

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
you can't explain away some of the design decisions by some stuffed suit pushing up their timetable

this is basically babbys first multiplayer game and its hilarious watching them learn to walk yet continually falling directly on their poo poo filled diaper

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
this is a beautiful, continuous train wreck

right when I think "finally, there's the caboose!" another few dozen cars are right behind it to explode in hilarious fashion

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Node posted:

Thanks to a another certain game we won't mention here, I'd say we're both quite used to identifying trainwrecks by now.
one day we'll actually like and play a good game

one day

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Spun Dog posted:

someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my family is dying
if your family dies there are less mouths to feed, which means less money to spend trying to keep them from dying of hunger

when you think about it, you'll lose money if your family doesn't die

hth

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Crabtree posted:

I told you man, the game cannot handle more than one player.
the game can't even handle one player

spamming "interact" shouldn't crash you even in a single player game

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

NofrikinfuN posted:

lmao

I love that this guy low-key laid out how to crash a server for griefers.
the game is unstable as hell anyway, this won't make much of a difference

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
normally poo poo like this is hotfixed asap, seriously wtf are they doing lol

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

bug chaser chaser posted:

re: interacting with things in the game too fast breaking things
I have like a few dozen duplicate treasure maps from playing the game. they drop everywhere. and yes, you can claim more than one at a time by simply hitting the interact button. and sometimes, for whatever reason, the interact button doesn't work. so you spam it a few times to be sure you're hitting the right thing. and boom server crash

everything you do in this game is broken. everything. everything about it doesn't work: combat, inventory, building, co-op, pvp, interacting with the environment. maybe six months of patches will fix it. maybe. I honestly think the flaws are so embedded in code they are going to have a hard time fixing them without major changes to both the client and server

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
oh wow how come I didn't know battlecry studios was founded by rich vogel of all people

he cashed out late last year with a fat paycheck like he always does and washed his hands of the whole goddamn mess lol

so far rich vogel has helped found and subsequently kill studios under Sony Online, Bioware and now Bethesda

just lol

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

toiletbrush posted:

I wonder what havoc you can wreak if you bind different actions to mousewheel-up/mousewheel-down
you can literally just tap the interact button for like 10 seconds on almost anything and you can watch the servers and clients melt

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Von_Doom posted:

Weren't you both in the Andromeda thread? Good times. Wait....weren't you also a part of the DA2 thread? No Man's Sky? Agent... did you also go in the Matrix Online thread? Lastly.... I swear you were with me in the Shadowbane and Anarchy Online threads in the long, long ago. In the beforetimes.
If my memory is right you two are like the unluckiest gamers in the history of gamerdom. Like those wacky tales of guys who escaped camps in WW2 Germany to have Stalin stick you on Cannibal island a bit later. Except it keeps happening. How do you retain your sanity?
the ME3 thread was the best of all times

the ends were bad, indeed

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
looking back I probably should have colored the banners red green and blue

but I was younger then. so much younger

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

KillerQueen posted:

So I'm really curious about the behind-the-scenes of this game's development. My theory so far is that they were working on FO5, but it was taking too long and Bethesda or Zenimax or whoever makes these calls said that the only way it would be profitable was if they bandwagoned onto the survival/BR genres. The assets were dumped on the Austin studio and they were told "make this work and bring it online in 6 months". Npcs and companions and dialogue weren't done so most of it was scrapped, though I do suspect characters like the Overseer and Rose were meant to be companions and some of their dialogue was left in for the sake of quests. "Build anywhere" might have been a thing earlier on in production only to be replaced by the C.A.M.P.+workshops, but I doubt it.
here's what looked like happened

there was a studio called battlecry that was working on a really bad looking game (also called battlecry) that was kinda a mix of team fortress 2 and for honor and overwatch. now battle cry was set in a post apocalyptic universe (you can even see some of the building geometry used in that game in fo76) that held about 30 people. the only thing ever shown was team deathmatch, but supposedly they wanted a huge map where you can fight over objectives that would give resources to your characters. hmm. weird

well they had been in dev for like 4+ years and 2015 rolls around and its obvious the game is DOA and they start making plans to get absorbed into bethesda. they take what they've done with battlecry and try to shovel out a game in like 24 months because holy poo poo you've wasted a gently caress load of money so obviously the game should be pretty much done but lol SOEd again

and here we are

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Cyberpunkey Monkey posted:

I'm not finding any serious issues with Fallout 76 except for the incessant stream of FUDvomit coming out of angry goon sockpuppet accounts whenever I go check any forum about the game.
thats a feature

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I mean maybe it was like "yo debbie in maryland can I get a bunch of assets from fo3/4 on a usb and hey dudes from prey does your game crash when you hit the interact button a lot? just asking for a friend"

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

KillerQueen posted:

Now that is loving interesting. So it's basically the reverse of what I thought, in that it was another insolvent game that got Fallout all over it.
this is what eventually become fo76 lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvC9JwIWYME

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Spun Dog posted:

Hell, you can't even uninstall it apparently. Like herpes for your PC.
I'll never uninstall it. I want everyone to know I have gamings worse STD, fallout 76

stay away, leave me to my shame

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Tei posted:

I doubt this theory is correct. Why would F76 look so much like Fallout 4 if they really started with other games?, but is probably true that the team added their "special touch" to it. Probably the workshop system (that is not a bad system, but is not fantastic either).
bethesda austin was the main developer on this game, and they were working on battlecry until late 2015/early 2016

they scrapped everything with battlecry, salvaged whatever they could and tried to shoehorn in a fallout franchise using existing assets from previous fallout games and what was already produced for battlecry

quote:

On May 28, 2014, BattleCry Studios announced their first game, BattleCry. On September 10, 2015, it was reported that BattleCry Studios had laid off a "substantial portion" of their staff. On October 7, 2015, the development on BattleCry was halted for the studio to work on different projects. One of the studio's first projects following the hold of BattleCry was the modification and restructuring of Bethesda's Creation Engine (in conjunction with sister company id Software, utilizing netcode from Quake) to support multiplayer functionality in anticipation of the upcoming Fallout 76. In September 2017, Vogel announced that he had left BattleCry Studios in favor of Certain Affinity.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Rinkles posted:

what exactly are you suggesting was salvaged from battlecry for fallout 76? they have completely different art styles.
seems like a lot of the high level design, especially for a giant map "warzone" that players would compete on. netcode too, as battlecry was running off the old quake/doom netcode and is used in fo76 as well

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
games bad and dead either way

lol

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
luckily they knew how pvp would play out pretty early on and not just like a few months ago
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gi8PTAJ2Hjs&t=1593s
actually watching this whole thing theres about a laugh a minute lol

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Tei posted:

Why would somebody do this? This is like stealing into a war museum to use the weapons there? the quake netcode have historical interest and probably have inspired many games netcode. It also may also have inspired much better netcodes (that started with a completely different approach precisely to limitations of the quake one).

quote:

According to the lastest Noclip documentary on the development of Fallout 76, Bethesda Game Softworks asked what was then BattleCry Studios to try and retrofit multiplayer into Fallout 4 for a prototype. The team used Quake netcode that was given to them by id.
I mean lol

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

I'm not defending this game. I'm making fun of the histrionic nonsense people are spewing about 76. There is a difference.

Fwiw, I only threw down my :10bux: X 5 because I got all of Fallout 4 on sale for :10bux: X 5 total and spent 400 hours building virtual blanket forts. I wanted to give Bethesda some more cash to make games. But I guess the consensus around here is that there weren't enough dialogue options, so it must have been a really lovely game? I didn't realize that comparing the number of dialogue options were how we decided which video games were better, but here we are.
in 76 you can literally crash the entire game server and gently caress up everyone's inventory including your own by hitting the interact button repeatedly

we are kinda beyond "man people should stop complaining about the dialogue wheel" type stuff here

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
someone please go into a derail about what supermutant sweat tastes like

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
unless the outer worlds has a cash shop with lovely textures for a few bucks a pop, its going to fail miserably

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Most of the people talking poo poo about this game don't actually play it.
the game is a poorly designed mess with a ton of bugs and stability issues, even six weeks after launch

it deserves everything it gets

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

There is some genuine criticism, but there is also incessant insane screeching to change the game to make the already ridiculous min-maxed builds even more powerful, and there is also a lot of boring and predictable attempts at FUD trolling. There is a lot more of the second categories than there is of genuine criticism.
lol go throw in with bitcoin and star citizen already goddamn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

thanks for proving my point in a single post.
you might as well start saying there's an organized hate campaign against the game funded by other AAA publishers to bring down bethesda

its just a bad game man and that's okay. I played it a bunch and can call out all its poo poo because I played it a ton

the people posting "its bad" ain't loving wrong