Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

I haven't played the beta but people on Twitter seem to love it, and goons seem to hate it. But goons have poo poo taste in games so I'm actually curious to play 76 now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

All the streams of this I've seen have either been

- someone playing solo and avoiding people, until they run into another person who annoys them into logging out
- a premade group of friends. who seem to have fun killing monsters and such. but sometimes they try to pvp with people who don't want to pvp, so they can't do any serious damage to those people before those people get annoyed and log out, and no one is satisfied in the end

To the people enjoying this, an honest question: What are you doing? And have you had good interactions with randoms?

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Rhymenoserous posted:

New Vegas made me feel like I had major agency and the main quest wasn’t some obnoxious gatekeeper slog I had to get through just so I could have fun with the game.
NV had a great story and characters that spoiled me for other games including Fallout 3, but 3 had much more satisfying random exploration combined with a better loot grind. (Referring to Vanilla FNV before the DLCs). There's a reason that the A World of Pain mod for FNV was very popular.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

I didn't like my first 4 hours or so with FNV because of the Chief Hanlon quest. The payoff of that quest was great, but BEFORE that it was walking to 3 different boring places and not even encountering any enemies along the way except for a few giant mantises. Everything else was going into barren buildings and not finding any good loot or many enemies. I was used to Fallout 3 which throws a whole bunch of poo poo at you the moment you walk out of the vault, while FNV takes longer to get its hooks in.

Basically I didn't like FNV at first because it wasn't Fallout 3, and then I loved FNV because it wasn't Fallout 3

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

The fact that anyone can recommend awop or momod makes me wonder if we played the same grindy mess. Awop experience: enter a sewer and find a 10mm Handgun G thats like a regular 10mm but does triple the damage. Why
:shrug:
My issue with AWOP was that every individual enemy in it was carrying 3X the loot you would find in an entire vanilla dungeon. The mod creator was like "then don't pick it up lol" but eventually made a "light loot" version

But after some of the barren locations in vanilla FNV, it was silly fun going into a hotel chock full of super mutants like you're playing DOOM

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Regarding this game, I'm *kinda* enjoying it but am not super sold on it. It's a console rental and playing with a controller is actually my biggest issue, but I'm not sure I want to buy it on pc just to fix that.

It's already better than F3 and F4 only in that you're not forced to be a kid looking for his dad or a parent looking for their kid or some other dumb story poo poo I don't care about, I'm a nobody who can do whatever

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Some people launched a nuke at the fissure site on the first day and this is what happened

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDoshiqDeKs

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

wemgo posted:

But I’m still having fun and this is the first open world game since Skyrim to really suck me in. Without noticing, I always end up playing hours longer than I intend. And I hated Fallout 4.
I played a bunch of a ps4 rental and kinda want to buy it now. The only thing holding me back is I'm still playing Destiny 2 and Fortuna just came out for Warframe.

I'm gonna buy on PC if I do though. Console controls for Fallout are painful and I don't want to pay $60 for it

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

https://fallout.bethesda.net/article/48zcUmxp7O2se0CIMMwmGg/fallout-76-upcoming-features-and-fixes-november-2018

Nov. 19 patch will be all bug fixes and optimizations.
Stash size increase, PC push to talk, 21:9 support and FOV slider "before the end of the year"

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Even this is supposed to be bad I've played this way longer than Fallout 4 which I got bored with fairly quickly, so that's something.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

I think there's a lot of cool stuff in the game and I'm still enjoying playing through it and think many of the complaints Re: story or gameplay are dumb, but don't feel any real motivation to white knight the game because it's so inexcusably broken.

Like I want tell someone about how the Mistress of Mystery quest is neat but then I log in and none of my active quests are showing and my base is gone and I'm like ahhh nm

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

ymgve posted:

isnt that because the license binds to your account once you login or some poo poo, or does console versions not come with a code you gotta enter the first time
if you buy a console game on disc you need the disc in the console to play it. or you're supposed to, anyway

On xbox you can buy/rent a disc game, then if you want buy it digtally from their store and you won't need the disc any more. On ps4 you actually have to delete the disc install and redownload it if you buy it digitally, it's kinda dumb.

Roman fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Nov 27, 2018

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Dapper_Swindler posted:

RDR 2 is great and it ditches the 15 year old cynic poo poo. its legit well written, very naughty dog with a rockstar twist.
I remember GTA games trying to get serious and dramatic while the characters are standing in front of an ad for "Ballsack Burger" or some poo poo. I hope we've seen the last of that

StabMasterArson posted:

I thought it came on a cardboard disc?
That's PC only

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

mormonpartyboat posted:

lol yeah its important to shame yourself for having opinions
i'm more mad about the game than someone who thinks all of it is irredeemable trash

I'd love to tell my friends to buy the fun game and play it with me, but I can't

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

BigglesSWE posted:

Youtubers are really ganging up against Fallout 76. Angry Joe has released a review now and yeesh.
the problem with youtubers is that no matter how lovely a game is they will somehow manage to have uninformed dumb opinions about it

and some of them are even worse because they don't even play the games they talk about, they just cobble videos together from gaming news and reddit posts, because negative videos get clicks

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

This is good stuff and all but we shouldn't have had to deal with any silence. This faceless social media presence doesn't cut it. From day one we should have had visible CMs with faces and constant communication, like the women at Warframe or the Division guys.

Also the game being delayed with a few more months in the oven. But yeah, CMs help a lot too

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

the original RDR was probably never ported to PC because it was known to be a mess of code stuck together with duct tape and chewing gum and it was a miracle it even worked on consoles at all

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Axetrain posted:

I could never finish GTA V, the characters and the setting are just so extremely unlikable.
it's the only GTA I could finish only because the controls were actually usable, AND had a decent checkpoint system AKA any checkpoint system at all (GTA4 was still mostly "do the whole thing over again")

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Not a spoiler because they're talking about it in interviews: The main quest ends with you launching a nuke. You launch nukes to create endgame areas with powerful enemies and rare loot.

This is cool if you wanted to play a bad guy. But what if you started the (what you thought was a) role-playing game and wanted to play a good guy, and don't want to launch nukes because using nuclear weapons is bad? You have 2 options: Keep playing but don't finish the main quest, or uninstall the game. There's no option to stop the nukes or even stop other players from launching nukes.

This game, unlike every other Fallout, doesn't apply any morality at all to launching nuclear weapons, save for a few meaningless audio files. And it doesn't really matter anyway because you don't even get a Megaton type consequence. All the buildings are still standing and eventually everything gets better and you just do it over and over and it doesn't mean anything. It really is like the live action commercial where it's just a bunch of people staring at a mushroom cloud, who should be terrified but just look bored.

I play plenty of bad games because they interest me enough to keep loving around with them, but I'm not sure I want to keep playing this one. And I'm not sure they can just patch out the bugs and polish mechanics to fix that when the whole philosophy behind the game kinda sucks.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Not trying to morally condemn anything (except bad business practices). I just think that launching nukes in a Fallout game should have some gravity to it, instead of a thing you can do over and over for cool loot but otherwise means nothing. A multiplayer Fallout could have worked fine without them.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Tei posted:

I am pro-choice. I never do romance in games (I just forget the option exist), but I like the idea that the option exist to do it, If I wanted to.
On the other hand, there's Dragon's Dogma, where if you don't take any of the romance options, it selects the NPC you interacted with the most to be your "beloved" for the boss fight cutscnene and your spouse who lives in your house in the endgame. For me this was the "MASTERWORKS ALL YOU CAN'T GO WRONG GUY" (I bet his wife was pissed). It could also have potentially been a 14 year old girl OR her dad if I had bought enough stuff from either of them. The game had no option for "remain single." There was so much baffling poo poo like that in an otherwise awesome game.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Agent355 posted:

As somebody smart enough to not buy this game I unironically didn't realize the game doesn't have text chat. It's such a basic function I just assumed it did.

:wom:
They wanted to force players to talk and interact with each other, because it was apparently designed by people who have never played an online multiplayer game in their lives

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Tei posted:

This game is not good
But you can have fun with a bad game.
I care less about whether a game is "good" than if it holds my interest. There are many good polished games which bore me to death and many broken rear end games which I enjoy loving around with

(I have not played F76 in months but I'll definitely be back to check out the updates)

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

chaosapiant posted:

Just add private servers/offline play and mod support and I’ll buy this game.
I don't relate to this. with rare exception i don't give a poo poo about single player games any more. yeah i can kill a bunch of monsters and get Achievements and build a virtual house or whatever but who gives a poo poo? I'm just jerking off and it doesn't mean anything. I like it when I can make/get a bunch of cool stuff in a game and it actually affects the experience of other people, whether it's pvp or helping people in co-op or whatever.

i still don't like F76 for various reasons but it was never because "all multiplayer bad me no like"

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Wolfsheim posted:

bro this is all video games, i dunno if you realized this very basic point until i told you just now in this, the fallout thread
trivial =/= meaningless

if some people struggling with a mission succeed because i came in with some overpowered weapon and helped them, that's time I saved them than if I never showed up. if someone has to replay some quest for an extra half hour because I shot them, that's an effect I had on someone in the real world

so yeah it kind of "means something" when a game is multiplayer.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

"It's great that there's a finally an active community that likes our game, how can we reward them?"

:lol:

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

So this is because the game is going F2P right?

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

This is the video linked in the Forbes article

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xehnhq38EHk

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Reinstalled it for laughs on Tuesday and I'm like 50 hours in so I guess the joke's on me. Even bought a month of 1st. I stopped playing at launch/level 50 when I realized the story was just "launch a nuke over and over for loot lol" but they really put in the work to make a full game's worth of content and I'm enjoying it now.

How often does the store rotate stuff? I want the vault tec power armor paint to go along with the vault boy head.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Roman posted:

I want the vault tec power armor paint to go along with the vault boy head.
It's on sale today! And it doesn't work on the Ultracite set! gently caress! Ultracite has like one paint job. :mad:

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Every time I've played this game ifs felt like work
It kinda is but I like it. I think I understand people who play Animal Crossing now.

Roman fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Apr 19, 2020

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

It's a fun looter/survival shooter and has lots to do so just buy it.

I made a neat house and my power armor looks like vault boy. 10/10

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Of course the Communist themed content is premium microtransactions

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

bird with big dick posted:

The commie power armor looks pretty sweet tbh
the description says it works on all PA and is "fully voiced"

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

I managed to justify a Talon Company armor set in a FNV mod I made which people seemed to like so NCR doesn't bother me

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/39441/

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Arcsquad12 posted:

And the NCR Veteran Rangers never operated in West Virginia 100+ years before the NCR existed. Forget the canon of 76.
It's actually the armor of the North Carolina Rangers and the NCR bought a bunch of them or something, lore inconsistency resolved

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

I've been playing this game a LOT lately and still can't fully get it in my muscle memory that you can't just Esc out of everything like you can in every other game on the planet.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

TorakFade posted:

I found a very nice automatic laser rifle, that's supposed to do as much damage as my combat rifle but with a much better rate of fire and range; it seems... underwhelming though, and repairing / modding it is a huge drain on precious rare resources like fiberglass, circuitry and crystal.
Is it just my impression, or is it actually better to stay with ballistic weapons at this point in the game?
I have a 3 star legendary burning/vampire/VATS perks laser pistol I converted to a rifle and while it's neat as a backup I would not use it as my primary just because it degrades so easily.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Stuff they're working on: Pets, perk loadout system hopefully this year, better respec, dressing up companions, camp budget increase, hint of the BoS returning.
Loadout system would make me forgive a lot of poo poo

https://www.pcgamer.com/fallout-76-might-get-pets/

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

TorakFade posted:

I started out hating this new real-time vats, but I warmed up to it, now I use it quite often and those criticals can be a life saver at times, having more would be nice :)
I think I like it better than the old pause VATS now. The only thing I don't like is that you can't exit out of it with the same button, which is really unintuitive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

I did both settler and raider quests up until the choose a side thing and I think I'll go with settlers because while raiders were here first, they're all dumb and annoying. I'll do raider dailies but Ra-Ra and Johnny can gently caress off into the sun

Roman fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Apr 29, 2020