Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common
I like Fallout 4 quite a lot while still being able to rationally discern areas in which other Fallout games, which I do not especially like, can be better objectively and/or subjectively; but on the other hand I feel like the Something Awful forums are the one place on the entire internet where that may be said without causing a loving nerd riot.

And when SA is the sole bastion of nerd tolerance on the internet, you know we've achieved something very special in our time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

OneMoreTime posted:

So did the weird settlement bug in Fallout 4 ever get fixed, mod or otherwise? I'm talking about the one where if walked or fast traveled away from a settlement it suddenly decided you didn't have enough resources. I'd love to play Fallout 4 again but man that was really frustrating.

Nope; still there.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

A settlement may eventually withdraw their support for you, but it takes FOREVER and you'll just get another mission to recruit them right away. Other than that, unhappiness somehow affects income, but who cares about that.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

I've never, ever, ever had the problem of a settlement leaving - I only know that eventually it can happen because I've seen it on some youtube video or something...and the happiness rating was below 40%, and there was a big warning on the screen of the player.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

lol @ all the "reaction" videos on youtube surrounding the hype train. Here are my similarly grounded-in-inference deductions based on Reddit, Kotaku and YouTube comments:

1. You play as a member of a John Denver tribute band from Vault 76. What instrument you play is your starting class and you level up via rhythm game, making percussion the natural easiest class.

2. Two chairs and two set plates on the dining room table in the video? YOU PLAY AS TWINS

3. An award trophy of a golden toilet means that your settlement has adequate waste management facilities for happiness +.

4. Use of the Pip-Boy 2000 with the dials on the WRONG SIDE means that Bethesda is shamefully willing to destroy canon AGAIN.

5. Online game PLUS settlement focus is the FINAL NAIL in the Fallout coffin and I'm going to immediately type out a death threat to GODD HOWARD on the comment section of a random MrMattyPlays video.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

frajaq posted:

this but unironically

lol dude...we know literally nothing substantial about the game at this point at all. It could be awesome.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Dan Didio posted:

I don't think Fallout 4 was loved by most. It sold really well, I'm sure and a lot of people liked it, but it's not really beloved the same way 3 or New Vegas are.

ehhh I think a lot more people liked it than you think, to be honest. It depends on the person. For example: I can't stand FO3 & FONV. Playing those two games just pisses me off. I know very well that each of those two games do things better than FO4; just not the things that *I* tend to care about.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Otacon posted:

a few weeks ago I had nothing better to do and ended up watching an almost 2 hour long video on youtube of some guy sperging about how FO3 was better than FONV and he made some good points

then I installed Tale of Two Wastelands and have spent more than 100 hours replaying and haven't even made it to Goodsprings yet... too much to do in DC.

(FO3 was my first fallout game)

Have you checked out any of the crazy long critiques by people being critical of FO4? ALL of them are good. Videos anywhere from 45 minutes to 3 hours long of dudes who either HATE Fallout 4 or end up grudgingly liking it, and all of them are speaking from the context of RPG lovers. I binge watched a bunch of these videos when I was trying to figure out the legitimate reasons why people sperg about Fallout so much and why this spergery made them HATE FO4 when I thought it was. . . pretty fun. It helped me put that into context immensely. I recommend watching a few of these for the entertainment value.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

lol this looks loving awesome; I don't know what else to say

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Noirex posted:

Did anyone legitimately want this?

Yes

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

E V E R Y YouTube video remotely related to Fallout 76 filled chock-full to the brim with Fallout fanbois all making a comment with little variation on the theme of:

YUP IT'S CONFIRMED THIS GAME IS GOING TO SUCK AND I'M NOT BUYING IT TODD HOWARD DESTROYS MY LIFE YET AGAIN

I am STILL trying to figure out how these people can hate the IDEA of this game so much even after all of their conspiratard theories about the game have been debunked. Say what you will about Bethesda's handling of the way the game was revealed - I don't really have a problem with it - but the expectations of most of these people is now and has always been WAY off base. I sat through a three hour video of someone just playing some of the game at the press event - a controlled environment, to be sure - and the only thing I found actually to be objectionable is some poor framerate in certain places. Beyond that, the game looks super fun to me.

I dunno; it seems like a really reasonable way to integrate Fallout into a MMO space without making the game into a lovely MMO and keeping it clearly as a Fallout game that will be instantly recognizable as a Fallout game.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Glenn Quebec posted:

Wow, I just read the last dozen pages. Why are people getting so salty about this game? It's coop Fallout???

Lol really? Fallout fanbois are pretty far up the spectrum meter. Nothing Bethesda could ever do with Fallout will ever be good enough for these fine fellows.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

As an interesting experiment, I went to YouTube and entered in the search terms "Fallout 76 garbage."

I thought I'd seen just about every nerdrage Fallout 76 video of the last 4 months - boy, was I wrong.

But I couldn't find the one I was looking for - perhaps you've seen this one. It was a complaint about B.E.T.A. based on the premise that:

BETHESDA IS A GARBAGE COMPANY THAT KNOWS RDR2 IS GOING TO BE A FAR SUPERIOR GAME THAT WILL WIPE THE FLOOR WITH FO76 AND THAT BETHESDA WILL NOT BE WIPING B.E.T.A. PROGRESS FOR PLAYERS THAT PARTICIPATED IN THE B.E.T.A. AND THUS THOSE PLAYERS WILL HAVE AN ADVANTAGE OVER PLAYERS THAT DID NOT PARTICIPATE IN THE B.E.T.A.

I was watching a bit of that video at work a few days ago and now I can't find it - I thought that the premise was so ridiculous that I wanted to watch the rest of it. I don't even remember how he tied Bethesda's "fear of RDR2" into the "garbage business practice" of "not erasing beta progress," but I really want to get to the bottom of that rabbit hole.

Edit:

Here it is: The proper search terms are Fallout 76 SCUMBAG, not Fallout 76 GARBAGE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqYrjal4mEU

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

CharlestonJew posted:

ok now do a search for FALLOUT 76 SEXY and write another essay on what you find there

Sorry, your anime mods won't be around until the "private servers" are enabled

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

PC for sure.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Arcsquad12 posted:

MXR already made a video saying he won't be making FO76 videos for a long while because he didn't get invited to the youtube influencers event in WV.

A Fallout-centric content creator crying because the game isn't taliored to his YouTube channel? Shocking.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

GWBBQ posted:

lol, canceling your preorder doesn't cancel you beta invite.

Why would it?

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Well Bethesda should just light a loving fire in the lobby and just burn it all down

How dare they try something new?

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

On PC, 2nd day, about 12 hours played total.

The major problem I see is a terrible framerate. My card is a bit old but it's a GTX 960, so it's well within the minimum specs and very close to the recommended specs. I've been playing on medium. I'll turn down to low for the next run.

The gameplay is super fun. I don't really care for weapon durability as a thing, but it's a Fallout staple and it isn't ridiculous like Dark Souls 2.

But, I gotta bitch about audio logs and the inventory management. It's more of a general bitch about video games than a bitch about Fallout 76.

In all, though, I'm really enjoying it. There was one annoying hipster with a microphone talking to someone who wasn't playing the game, but I'm 100% sure there is a way in the game to mute people. I just didn't bother looking for it too closely.

The game looks great and the environments are interesting. Moving camps isn't annoying at all, really. . . "it just works."

Areas repopulate with enemies at a not unreasonable rate, and it looks so far like there's a much better variety of enemies than Fallout 4.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Alright, so what is an actual reason to have a 400lb weight limit in the stash? A GOOD reason?

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Dennis McClaren posted:

I'm having trouble reading all the widely varying rewiews from "76 fkn rocks" down to "76 is a steaming turd poo poo game". It seems like there are far more bad reactions and reviews on 76 floating around Youtube, then there are good ones.
I read them with a grain of salt, but I have a better time trusting goons. Is it too early still to know if the game is looking really good, like it will be a hit? Or is it actually kind of under-whelming and not that great where it stands today?

Mehhh....I've played like 20-ish hours and think it's pretty fun and have PERSONALLY experienced very few bugs. It's still really hard to say what's going to happen when the game hits the wild, though. If I was to evaluate it as a single-player experience, I've enjoyed it well enough. I've found my interactions with other players to be annoying because they don't shut the gently caress up ever and OH MY GOD CAN I BE YOUR FRIEND, but I haven't actively tried co-op on purpose. I just don't have a reason to, yet. There are little annoying things that you wouldn't even care about in a game you can mod like any other Fallout game, but that you can't quite be sure whether or not you will really be able to fix without penalty in an online game. There are other things that (for other developers) you would know right away are strictly beta issues that will be fixed, but you can't really trust Bethesda's track record in that department.

The bottom line is this: certain people love making GBS threads on Fallout games and/or Bethesda for reasons both justified and not justified. Those people will tell you that Fallout 76 is the worst game in the world, ever, and that it is worth zero dollars, and in fact you deserve to be punched in the balls by a kangaroo if you like the game at all, and that Bethesda has yet again shat a steaming turd onto the anxiously lapping tongues of their deluded fanbase. Others will say the game is pretty fun - I am one of those people.

It's $60; you either have it to spend or you don't. You'll get your money's worth out of it, though. I get the feeling that it will get to be a better game about a month into the game and I'd hold off until then if you're REALLY concerned about spending $60 on a new AAA video game.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

you gain nothing by buying at launch other than paying to test the game for future purchasers

if the recent revelations are any indication it's going to be a rocky rear end launch

I'm not disagreeing with your point; I just don't place a very high personal time-value of money investment meter on $60 when that's less than one night out drinking.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Frog Act posted:

:eyepop: man what are you drinking

lawyer life is hard and calls for hard liquor.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

oh for christ's sake

Look - don't buy the game. Save your money for a unanimously feted game that earns 10/10 from every review source and comes out at a permanent half-price and comes also with a lifetime subscription to Penny-Pinching Gamers of somethingawful.com Weekly.

Happy?

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Perhaps you should try drinking more

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Saladin Rising posted:

Or maybe buy one of the many $60 games that don't have your movement speed tied to your framerate, a game and where you can't disconnect people just by telling the server they sent a disconnect command. Maybe a game that's on Steam.

Nah, there can't be that many games with those impossibly high requirements, right?

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

It's $60; you either have it to spend or you don't. You'll get your money's worth out of it, though. I get the feeling that it will get to be a better game about a month into the game and I'd hold off until then if you're REALLY concerned about spending $60 on a new AAA video game.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Jose Oquendo posted:

Are there any good locations to loot aluminum? I am trying to keep my usual weapons in decent shape but I never have any aluminum but I have a ton of all the other required mats.

Schools and hospitals have a bunch.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

almost none of that post is corroborated by anything and watching network traffic when playing reveals most of it is seemingly encrypted

How dare you suggest that a post on another message board making GBS threads on a Fallout game is anything but gospel. Haven't you READ this thread?

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

So putting aside the doom and gloom from fanboys nerdrage, what's the option of people who actually played it? is it mostly being played as co-op fallout loot hoarding simulator with a new environment to explore or is there a lot of PvP to be had when you come across other groups? has anyone come across obvious cheaters or is it largely overblown?

Or is this something best to ask in a couple weeks when major patches have come out?

a) it is mostly being played by people who talk into their mics in a confused voice wondering whether or not you are a "griefer" that they've heard so much about; b) there isn't really any PVP going on in the beta and it is really hard to say whether there will be any of note upon release; there really isn't a gameplay reason to do it; and c) the talk of cheaters is WAAAAAY overblown, just like everything else said about this game.

I think it's fun. Most people that play it seem to think it's fun but that it has problems. There are problems with the game that may or may not be resolved. If major items aren't improved the game is not going to be successful.

Definitely ask again in a couple weeks. I have no idea why the game is in the state it's in for a "beta - " if you can even call it a "beta." There is definitely potential.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Alan Smithee posted:

yo beta players how bad is this game

Ask again in about a month.

Right now it's got some p;orblems.

Based on the beta, it's a "passable" game, but could quite easily turn into a gigantic shitshow if the release isn't much improved. I'm genuinely curious as to how much of the game we actually saw during the beta period. I ran into more problems (bugs) in game as they "fixed" performance issues with the game than I did at the beginning.

I'm not too concerned about reports of how vulnerable the game is to hacking/cheating, though. Unless, of course, PVP turns into a real thing. During the beta (with a limited playerbase) people just weren't doing PVP to speak of. Even then, the penalties for "losing" in PVP are pretty much nil, so who cares.

The gameplay is fun, but it can get old unless some changes are made. As I got further on in the game, I started getting more "fetch quests," which are something I really kind of despise. Stash weight limit is pretty loving dumb. I can't really say much about the XP/leveling system as I appear to be leveling a lot more slowly than others - I guess I'm just playing slow. I dunno; this may be a better game in a month, or it may be a better game in a year.

I'm not going to defend what they put out there as a "beta," though. If the argument is to be made that the beta was expressly for testing x, y, z factors about the game and that's it - they sure didn't communicate that. As far as everyone knows, the beta had everything in it as if the game was fully released.

edit: how could I forget the audio logs. Jesus, the audio logs.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

DebonaireD posted:

I really liked my time in the beta, and some of the design decisions they made seem to make more sense now. I hadn't preordered the game, but I will be ordering it now! Looks like most of the impressions from people who have actually tried it have been positive, in this thread at least.

How did you play in the beta without preordering

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

beta codes were given out like candy on reddit, playing the beta put my opinion of this as higher than metal gear survive but basically the same tier.

poo poo I wish I would have known. I mean, I don't "regret" buying the game, but it's the only game I've "pre-ordered" more than 1-2 days ahead of launch since Dark Souls 2.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

I did at least three quests yesterday that involved pushing a button somewhere and then pushing another button somewhere else within a certain period of time. One of them was part of the main quest, where I had to push a button, run somewhere else to push another button, and then run back to push the button I originally pushed. I had three minutes. Along the way, I ran across a strategically-placed monster that hocked a loogie at me and gave me the disease "snot ear."

How the gently caress do you end up doing nothing but fetch quests in a game with no NPCs? gently caress me; quests where you go somewhere else to push a button are just fetch quests where you don't fetch anything.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

This game really is nothing but busy work with lovely weapons. But the death tambo is pretty good.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Now that I've slogged up to level 33 and joined the Enclave, I don't feel like doing more loving fetch quests. I wonder if I'm just playing to justify my purchase by saying I payed less than $1/hour for this "entertainment."

I only even LIKE one Fallout game, and that one has lots of problems and I've put just about 2000 hours into it to the point where I'm just sick of it. This one (76) can go gently caress itself at this point. Life's too short.

Tenzarin posted:

Railroad is dumb and I'm happy I get to murder them all for the minutemen.

... also the Deliverer is dumb. And people complain about fallout 76 being shoddy! lets talk about the 9mm pistol that shoots 10mm.

You're one of those "bolt is on the wrong side of the rifle" guys, aren't you?

I haven't played a single game released in 2018 that I enjoyed. Not one - well, aside from LAZY CASH GRAB DARK SOULS REMASTERED. I skipped GOW and RDR2. The first because reasons and the second because I already know I won't like it despite universal critical acclaim.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

CharlestonJew posted:

you must have picked some real stinkers cuz 2018 was a pretty good year for gaming

Very possible. Very possible indeed.

I mean, Dark Souls Remastered was everything I thought it would be except that it made me realize that DS1 PVP is absolute poo poo compared to ANY other Fromsoft game. Valkyria Chronicles 4 is an empty shell of a game, consisting on nothing but anime and the rote repetition of what made the first game fun and unique without any significant advancement and 2x the underwear shame jokes. Battletech, while promising in premise, failed to deliver variety, challenging AI, and lasting playability and was ultimately a snoozefest. Divinity: Original Sin 2 is the game that was perfectly executed as the most flawless example of the old-school style turn-based RPGs that made me realize that if I don't like THIS game, I just don't like turn-based RPGs. I don't even know if this was actually 2018.

New Tomb Raider? Yawn. New Assassin's Creed? Burned too many times. Call of Battleduty: Blops? Nope. Any Battle Royale? Nope. Kingdom Come: Deliverance? uhh...nope.

Only God of War really piqued my interest. Maybe I'll buy RDR2 once multiplayer is in it...I just don't like Rockstar games in general even though they are obviously good games by objective standards.

But at this point I have to look forward to Nioh 2 and Sekiro.

I'm so turned off by "open world" "RPGs" at this point that even Cyberpunk 2077 and the discussion surrounding the game just turns me off.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

RanKizama posted:

Being pretty far into both FO76 and RDR2, I can say that RDR2 is a fantastic game in virtually every regard while FO76 is riddled with issues, yet somehow I'm having more actual fun with FO76.

You played the M3 Lee for several thousand battles on purpose, so I'm not quite sure what to make of your post.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Rinkles posted:

Personal Matters bugged? The scorched I'm supposed to kill (it has a waypoint above its head) is already dead when I enter.

You have to server hop until you get to a server where that guy hasn't been just killed withion the last hour by somebody else on the server.

I'm serious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

The BEST PART about that is that the door you have to go through is a loading screen door. There is NO NEED for that dude to be dead.