Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Speedball posted:

Croup Manor is fun to decorate if you can get enough carpets to cover up the holes in the floor. I also like to use it as a Raider base if I'm raiderizing settlements.

Mine is pretty good after installing Place Anywhere so I could patch the holes with wood floors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

MikeJF posted:

Also, the woodlands would dream of having the vitality and energy of yuppies.

I'd really like to see Fallout go back to being larger scale. Something like FO: South Texas would be pretty cool, though. The Houston/Austin/San Antonio triangle with a shitload of empty wasteland between has good chances to make things really thematic.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Arcsquad12 posted:

You really want to see more Bethesda "cities"?

Nah, I want more deserts because that's the only loving thing they can do right.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

DeathChicken posted:

Most people started playing it after it got enough patches to not die if a butterfly sneezed within ten miles of your PC.

Yeah, I bought NV release night, and it was buggy as gently caress at release. Zone to desktop was common.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Valentine is pretty much the only choice. I ran it with Piper, and don't recall her having much to say.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Zeniel posted:

Disabling V-sync may help a bit. But bear in mind that there's a bug where you end up with infinite load times in the downtown area for some reason. I thought the vsynch issue fixed my game but it didn't, so I've given up in frustration. Eh I was basically done with the game anyway, it was getting too repetitive and the faction ideologies are flawed in really dumb ways.

I really hate how all scientists in this game all have the same personality and have no sense of humor, like everytime you make some smart alec comment they're always just like
:welp: That's not a hypothsis...
It's like some kind of tv tropes style approach to character writing.
Scientist == humorless robot.

Also, for a group of scientists the Institutes ideology really makes no goddamn sense. Oh we kidnapped your son because we needed him for his genetic purity, the wasteland is missing genetic purity, that's why we have to send out waves of cyborgs. Genetic purity is not a thing. It really undermines the whole sympathetic angle of the institute when you first meet them and they're wholly unreasonable simply because the writers wrote themselves into a corner and required them to stubbornly reject compromise, so they made up a nonsense nonscientific point to rally behind. Bah.

I desperately wanted a quest where you just flat out took Father to Sanctuary and were like 'HERE you dumbfuck, I made this with five people in two months while running around looking for your rear end. If you people had taken even the barest effort to not be loving worthless and morally bankrupt, civilization would have returned to the entire commonwealth 150 years ago. Now we're going to do this my way, and it's going to be a lot less pleasant for a lot of your people.'

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Fintilgin posted:

It's weird, because even New Vegas did this, where people in the Mojave were still living in trash filled quasi-ruins, and had yet to master broom technology. Which is weird, because even in Fallout 1 there were a bunch of settlements of what was pretty clearly post-war adobe construction that looked clean and livable. Vault City had a pretty slick post-war construction setup too, and was set like 40 years before New Vegas. Odd that this aesthetic was totally dropped for New Vegas. Was there any post-war construction in the game that wasn't rusty corrugated metal huts?

I wonder if this was an art direction flop, lack of resources to make a whole new tile set, or sort of on purpose with the 'ruins of the old world' theme?

New Vegas was intentionally doing a contrast between the slums of Freeside and the glitz of the Strip, though. Most of the other towns you hit up are either wrecked because Caesar's boys got there first and crucified everyone or an NCR vs Powder Gang battlefield.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Gynovore posted:

Eh. RAGE was fun, but it was just a shooter with some racing. It looked like an open-world game, but really it wasn't.

Mad Max was a really fun game, though. One of the few I have all the achievements for.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

The Skeleton King posted:

I don't care for the Arkham combat in Mad Max. It's alright otherwise.

I like that it makes guns feel more special. Ammo isn't easy to come by, so you don't just shoot every rear end in a top hat you see.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Arcsquad12 posted:

An isometric Fallout co developed by Obsidian and InExile except that the combat system is like XCom.

InExile still owes me a Bard's Tale, and is working on Wasteland 3 just now.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

2house2fly posted:

Uh. Excuse me. You are playing a Bethesda game. Synths are The main character is robot people.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Nckdictator posted:

Replaying 4 with mods for the first time and for all my complaints about the game I really think the “escape from Vault 111” sequence is really well done in setting up how utterly alien the world must seem to the SS.

Of course this all goes out the window a few minutes later when you go to Lexington.

That initial sequence was probably built as a tech demo first, so it's got polish.

The rest of the game has half-assery at best. Quarter-assery mostly.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Randaconda posted:

How is this is a surprise

It is always and forever a surprise on these things when the original rights holders have to defend them. Fans. Fans never change.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

corn in the bible posted:

If they extract the original files then it can't possibly be illegal. This is just some c&d corporate bullshit

It's not a question if it would be illegal. There's no criminal act involved.

The question is if it's transformative enough to be fair use, and if the modding team can afford to fight that argument in court as long as Bethesda cares to stretch it out.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Wolfsheim posted:

I always kinda wondered why Beth doesn't encourage modders who are trying to recreate their old games in their new engine, because you'd think it'd be a goldmine to just buy it cheap when they finish and release it. Maybe the bug testing would be even more nightmarish than usual? Too big a game to risk some guy sneaking his Lolita waifu mod in without catching it? Just a generic 'it would dilute the brand' business decision?

Too high a chance of creating a precedent that they're not defending their intellectual property thus their rights to it are not valid. Thank Disney for this current state of affairs.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Arcsquad12 posted:

It's a wonder how there is any geographical history to the capital wasteland when everything is so static. Fallout 4 got better about it with stuff like the minutemen civil war and the Commonwealth provisional government, but I can't think of anything with a history to it in fallout 3 outside of context for why the brotherhood and enclave are even in DC

Even in FO4 though, you can't actually clean up any of the major enemy bases. Gunners Plaza will always respawn, as will the skyscrapers full of super mutants.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Internet Kraken posted:

You can chalk that up to "its a video game".

It's a missed opportunity for a quest chain.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Wolfsheim posted:

Now you can walk across the Mojave desert...in real time! Wallow in the immersion of taking 10+ actual hours to walk from the Hoover Dam to Vegas!

I too love games where every generic enemy location can be turned into a home base and each has a unique quest to do so, such as ...

And who could forget ...

I'm not looking for every major one, but stuff like 'here's a major enemy faction with ties to multiple companions, maybe we should do something with it' is pretty low hanging fruit.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

That's a terrifying thought. An entire Vault of larpers.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Mooktastical posted:

Bethesda would write that. See one-note drug addict Cait.

She's got a second character note! Terrible fake Irish accent in the far future where nobody has any idea what's on the other side of the Atlantic, or even that it's -called- the Atlantic!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Azhais posted:

The Homemaker mod has a ton of extra building options too, including the full pre and post war Sanctuary houses so you could make a modern clean suburb if you wanted.

The trash always annoyed me too, I use "scrap everything" just so I can sweep these goddamn settlements after I take them over (just have to be super careful while doing it so you don't accidentally scrap the bunker hill obelisk or similar things, it does mean "everything"). As an added bonus some of the ugly sections of the Castle are just debris decals over perfectly nice stone walls, so other than the big holes in the outer walls you can get it looking pretty tip-top

There's a mod that gives snappable wall pieces to clean up those holes, too, so you can have a complete fort.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Neurolimal posted:

There should have been an achievement for having the dog gun equipped, while wearing Vulpes' hat, with Rex as your companion.

At night.

Three Dog Moon.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

juggalo baby coffin posted:

i would love to see a fallout set in another country. the soviet union actually became friendly with the US in fallout lore, so they could have an english speaking faction based out of a US embassy somewhere. Fallout: China would be really cool as well. Bethesda has actually stuck pretty close to the original fallout/van buren design documents regarding stuff like the hei gui stealth suits so it would be neat to see what kind of tech the chinese were using pre-war.

FO:USSR would be great. I mean, it would be -very- different given the whole focus on kitsch and Americana, but you could play with the other side of the cold war terrors. Plus I'm sure there was some hot and heavy border action between China and the USSR.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

counterfeitsaint posted:

I've tried playing it a few times but I can never get past that intro temple thing, my god that's bad. It's an absolutely massive 'gently caress you' to any gun focused character.

That's the game telling you something. A monofocused gun bunny is going to be -terrible- all the early game because ammo doesn't get reliable nor do the guns get good until midgame.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

chitoryu12 posted:

There also doesn't seem to be any backlash against paid expansions like what Fallout, The Elder Scrolls, and The Witcher 3 use to expand the story and worldspace. So I don't think paid content will ever go away, but there may be more caution from major developers against exploitative payments. I also don't think mobile games where you have to pay to do more than the bare minimum to qualify as a game will go away because those games are made by unscrupulous developers shoveling out addictive and simple games for cheap.

That's actually starting now. When it was stuff like Gearbox's excellent Borderlands expansion packs nobody complained, but with half of the 'expansions' for FO4 being crafting packs that aren't new content, or are minimal content, there's backlash coming.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

corn in the bible posted:

yeah, there's backlash coming, if by backlash you mean they keep making money with creative club for essentially zero cost

I'm not sure how that's working out for them. It seems like most of the 'purchases' on CC are people picking up stuff when it's free.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Parallelwoody posted:

Two of my friends tried to tell me fallout NV was the worst fallout made. I don't believe I've ever heard that opinion before.

Make them play Brotherhood of Steel.

All of it.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

2house2fly posted:

They've been very patient with building up to that over the lifetime of Fallout 4, so I'm sure it'll pass without issue

It absolutely won't. It blew up in their face the first time they tried it with Skyrim, has had such lovely adoption with FO4 that they have to do weekly 'free' items in the mod section to get usage statistics up, and the sole reason the game is remotely successful long-term is full-conversion level mods.

Trying to go to paid mods only is going to be a huge boondoggle yet again.

Tenzarin posted:

Another must have mod the is the one that removes the cap for food, water, and salvage per day. If there's more food than the people or if they already have enough, they don't harvest. If there's water already there they won't add the next days water in the storage. If there's almost any kind of scrap in the bench they wont collect their 1 piece of scrap per day. It's also the reason it seems the salvage tables look like they are bugged.

I'm sure they put the caps there because they knew 16 towns would turn you into a fallout millionaire. But the thing is people already do this but have to dance around this lame cap they placed. It also lets you passively build your towns up.

It also shines a huge spot light that everyone in Boston but the kid in diamond city is a moron that can't rebuild society. Ok I guess there's few settlements actually are building too, that arn't morons.

It's the kid in Diamond City, Sturges, Hancock, and the ghouls with the swimming pool. that's pretty much it.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Jun 7, 2018

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Jose Oquendo posted:

So I guess the big question is if the solo stuff is totally separate. Like if I don't want to see or interact with other players, can I do that?

Nope, not according to Howard.

All the fun of FO4 base-building, with a chance of other random assholes dropping an ICBM on your house.

These guys learned -nothing- from the repeated backlash over paid mods.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I'm going to assume it'll allow you to password lock servers, or just play on a private one with no one else on it. I can't imagine them allowing you to play offline completely but maybe someone will figure out how to do it.

Honestly if they did that I'd be somewhat more amiable towards the game. Still going to wait and see.

He said the server side is going to be totally transparent, which does not incline me to think you'll have any control of which server you're on or who with.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Now I'm wondering.

Does persistent multiplayer world mean no fast-travel?

On a map 4x the size of FO4?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Rinkles posted:

I'm worried it'll be a campaign of radiant quests.

(Doubt anyone remembers from the last thread, but this sort of sounds like the game I suggested Bethesda make. One untethered from Bethesda's main weakness of storytelling.)

It kinda has to be. Otherwise unless you and all your buddies are on the same faction's quest, the NPCs should be mutually hostile.

Not that any of the tradtional Fallout factions exist 25 years post-bomb but the Enclave.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Rinkles posted:

Also did they "spoil" all the new enemy types?

They spoiled a lot of them, which I am grognarding about because it's all FEV mutants waaay before FEV should be widespread, but whatever it's Bethesda. Had supermutants with the FO4 models and gear, too.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Servaetes posted:

Didn't the BoS form up shortly after the nukes or was it basically still the US military?

They formed in Cali post-war out of a military unit that was guarding Mariposa Military Base.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

KoRMaK posted:

IF f76 comes out right after the war, then that means we don't have much opportunity for mutations yet

Yeah, hate to tell you but that's not what the gameplay videos look like.

I mean, it's not like Bethesda cares about the setting enough to stick to the timeline anyway.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Arcsquad12 posted:

I guess the enclave could be more active on the east coast instead of hiding for a century like in FO2

I mean, yeah. They should be tucked up in Raven Rock and on the Poseidon Oil Rig 25 years after the war, but again, Bethesda gives no shits about the timeline.

It looks like they're tying beta access to pre-ordering, too. Ahahahah.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Hold up.

That's a West Tek bag. As in the company that the BOS worked with before Mariposa.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Arcsquad12 posted:

This is literally running on the Fallout 4 engine with a graphics tweak. The interface is nearly identical.

Which suggests those ICBMs are probably going to crash people out of the game from graphics lag, if how FO4's engine responds to Fat Man shots is any indication.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

It's Sea of Thieves.

Sea of Thieves has NPCs. It's less than that.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Can they let another studio take a crack at a fallout game? Not just Obsidian, but other studios as well.

Just sell the IP to CDPROJEKTRED, thanks.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Jun 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

CJacobs posted:

Did they explain at all why the game looks even greener than Fallout 4 even though it's a prequel to the rest of them

Yeah, apparently the War itself didn't wreck the place, the Collapse Of Civilization after did. According to this new timeline they've just pulled out of their rear end.

So cold war paranoia wasn't the cause of the fall of man, weedlordbonerhitler grinding for loot was.

loving Hell, has anyone at Bethesda -read a synopsis- of Fallout, much less played it?

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Jun 11, 2018