Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jolo

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Romeo and Juliet, but set on a jungle planet like Dagobah. Romeo is a slimy jungle slug and Juliet is a sentient cloud of gas. They fall in love, but the gas is toxic to the slug species so their taboo romance is destined for tragedy.

~~~ byob summer 2020 ~~~ sig responsibly ~~~ i hope you enjoy my sig ~~~ please dont kangaroo jack what you cant kangaroo give back. ~~~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoldFrankensteinMir

I made a pilot for a TV show in college, it was about cyborgs that work at a deep-space convenience store and it had aliens and space-miners and robot salesmen. I always wanted to write the rest of the show ahead of time like Babylon 5 style but it's such a pipe-dream if I was actually going to write like 50 scripts it would make way more sense to do a bunch of projects than just one. But I have ideas for like 3-4 seasons worth of show, so...

Thank you for listening to my disappointing tale of space operas, every writer has at least one.

Sig by Heather Papps

Koishi Komeiji

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

I made a pilot for a TV show in college, it was about cyborgs that work at a deep-space convenience store and it had aliens and space-miners and robot salesmen. I always wanted to write the rest of the show ahead of time like Babylon 5 style but it's such a pipe-dream if I was actually going to write like 50 scripts it would make way more sense to do a bunch of projects than just one. But I have ideas for like 3-4 seasons worth of show, so...

Thank you for listening to my disappointing tale of space operas, every writer has at least one.

So it was like Clerks except in space :confused:

BoldFrankensteinMir

Koishi Komeiji posted:

So it was like Clerks except in space :confused:

Clerks meets Futurama with some body-horror elements, basically yeah.

Sig by Heather Papps

A Bad King

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
Space werewolves. Mostly just wolf people because the moon is always full in space, but then the star goes black and they become normal werepoeple wondering, "why do I have no fur?" There can even be a comedic relief robot wolf that says, "y'all lost yo mojo!"

Oh, there's an evil empire, and they built a Dyson sphere around the star which blocks their wolf-shaping moon light. So the reluctant hero goes on a quest to break the sphere open so his people can become wolfkin again.

Edit: the evil empire are normal werewolves who were planet bound until they were sick of being wolves once a month and decide, "yeah block that sun." Then do it, to the detriment to the werewolves used to being wolves in space.

A Bad King fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jan 31, 2018

BoldFrankensteinMir

Do you guys want to see my awkward weird filmschool attempt at a space opera? The thing itself is like 45 minutes and I'd have to make a digital copy, but I have tons of really silly on-set photos of costumes and effects and a real cool set. If you want to see it PM me I'll make a thread.

Content- On a planet where spherical plants are the dominant species, Dash Fastmore, better known as THE STAR ORPHAN, has grown up believing he is one of them. But on his 21st "earthday" his true origins are revealed, and THE STAR ORPHAN must return to Earth in time to claim his rightful place as King of England.

Sig by Heather Papps

cda

by Hand Knit
It's the future, but guns are outlawed, so everyone has to use swords. Because of this they make really cool swords, like a sword with two blades and a sword with a blade that's sideways from the hilt and you can spin in around like a helicopter. The hero of our story is an elementary school teacher who teaches children about the before times, when there were guns and the kids say things like "wow, guns are lame" and "swords are better than guns once you learn how to throw them and use them to stop bullets, which we all learn now, in kindergarten."

cda

by Hand Knit
There's also a sword with a chain attached to the end, so you can reel it back in when you throw it, or spin it around on the chain, or use the chain to disarm people. This is in the future, by the way.

BoldFrankensteinMir

It's basically Seven Brides for Seven Brothers but in a pit-fighting arena on Mars. Miniseries, real classy.

Sig by Heather Papps

Dick Bastardly

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

It's basically Seven Brides for Seven Brothers but in a pit-fighting arena on Mars. Miniseries, real classy.

But there's broken glass scattered everywhere for some reason.

Awesome winter sig by Symbolic, love it!

Lovely sig by the masterful Matoi Ryuko, thanks!

cda

by Hand Knit
A race of aliens descends on Earth. They are there to destroy Earth because "it has no value." Our hero shows them sword moves, and they reconsider.

BoldFrankensteinMir

A wish-granting alien from a distant star becomes pen-pals with a boy from Earth, who makes hundreds of wishes throughout his childhood seemingly in vain. But after 25 years traveling through space the wishrays arrive and his childhood wishes begin to happen, including a space ship and evil aliens to fight.

Sig by Heather Papps

Dick Bastardly

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Dick Bastardly posted:

But there's broken glass scattered everywhere for some reason.

And shoes are illegal.

BoldFrankensteinMir

The crew of the USS Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. must scour the Oort cloud for survivors after the 9 Solar planets are destroyed in a war with Proxima Centaurians. Scientists predict only 5000 Humans Left.

Sig by Heather Papps

cda

by Hand Knit
In the future the human race has bifurcated into two species, the shadowy Domu, who live under ground and forge the deadliest swords in the universe, and the ethereal Irkit who live in space and don't need to breathe and are the best sword fighters anywhere. Meanwhile, on the irradiated surface of Earth, traces of life have just been detected. Is it a third species? And how do they feel about swords?

BoldFrankensteinMir

Debbie was a drop-out, a poodle-skirted roller-waitress with no future... until Aliens from planet X abducted her!!!!! Now she's the main attraction in a little green zoo, and along with her animal friends Katey Kangaroo and Mr. Goldfish does stunts by day and undermines the X alien government by night, always looking for that chance to go home. Contains 35% original animated material.

Sig by Heather Papps

Robot Made of Meat

Do you guys want to see my awkward weird filmschool attempt at a space opera? The thing itself is like 45 minutes and I'd have to make a digital copy, but I have tons of really silly on-set photos of costumes and effects and a real cool set. If you want to see it PM me I'll make a thread.

Content- On a planet where spherical plants are the dominant species, Dash Fastmore, better known as THE STAR ORPHAN, has grown up believing he is one of them. But on his 21st "earthday" his true origins are revealed, and THE STAR ORPHAN must return to Earth in time to claim his rightful place as King of England.

I'm certain that we'd all be interested in seeing this.

And, being BYOB, the response should be at least supportive.

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

FreshCutFries

joke_explainer posted:

If you a struggling for a moral for your plotline, try this one: Genocide is bad.

hmm, devisive. i like it

BoldFrankensteinMir

TINA, an A.I. program created by humans in 2200 for an experimental ark ship, was created with a ten-thousand-year space mission in mind and has her various neuroses because of it. Every episode jumps at least a generation ahead as TINA begrudgingly interacts with the chirping monkeys that live on her, until the series finale where she, bursting at the seams with humans, reaches her destination, a long dormant alien superstructure who might be her soulmate. It's Bossypants meets The Ship Who Sang (with some Brave Little Toaster in there.)

BoldFrankensteinMir fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jan 31, 2018

Sig by Heather Papps

joke_explainer

In the future, people jogging with swords is still very dangerous. So we then send special cops to charge at them with swords for some reason. Fight fire with fire. We call them, "Blade Runners"

cda

by Hand Knit

joke_explainer posted:

In the future, people jogging with swords is still very dangerous. So we then send special cops to charge at them with swords for some reason. Fight fire with fire. We call them, "Blade Runners"

drilldo squirt

a beautiful, soft meat sack
*a bunch of villains draw their laser guns* "Time to die, space hero." -the villains
"Guns, how archaic." -Our intrepid hero from a small asteroid colony as he draws his laser katana.

----------------

Jolo

joke_explainer posted:

When the blade runner stabs the sword jogger and kill him, this was not called execution.

It was called Pokémon.

~~~ byob summer 2020 ~~~ sig responsibly ~~~ i hope you enjoy my sig ~~~ please dont kangaroo jack what you cant kangaroo give back. ~~~

Jolo

A wish-granting alien from a distant star becomes pen-pals with a boy from Earth, who makes hundreds of wishes throughout his childhood seemingly in vain. But after 25 years traveling through space the wishrays arrive and his childhood wishes begin to happen, including a space ship and evil aliens to fight.

I legitimately want to see this one.

edit: and the ones with swords

google THIS

A species of sentient swords that can only be killed by being drenched in human blood. Thus, the most powerful sword is the one who can find the most inept human wielder. They are all vying to be held by Phil, the clumsiest man in the galaxy, who is also comically cowardly and doesn't want to be stabbed. Hijinks ensue, but in the end humans and swords alike learn a profound and important lesson: genocide is bad.

Memorable quote:

Sword: Don't get me wrong, I'm still planning to use your delicate carbon-based flesh to vanquish one of my rivals, but I've come to an incredible realization: genocide is bad.

Phil: What about regicide?

Sword: Now you're talkin'!

google THIS fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jan 31, 2018

google THIS

It's the future. Something has been outlawed that is arguably intrinsic to the human experience and/or necessary to get past level 2 on Maslow's hierarchy, like art or sex or bacon. But someone (gasp) rediscovers it! In the end, the evil villain who was using the lack of this thing to control people is defeated nonviolently by the power of love, but maybe he makes one last attempt to kill the hero while his back is turned and ends up dying anyway.

Memorable quote:

Hero: This thing, that we've been taught our whole lives was bad. Maybe it's actually...good?

Villain: Noooo! Stupid power of love, always loving my day up!

google THIS fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jan 31, 2018

BoldFrankensteinMir

A crew of uplifted cockatiels and parrots must guide their starship through dangerous nebulae believed to contain the ghosts of an alien civilization. At first Captain Gray believes the ghosts are merely a superstition, but as the crew starts talking to dead relatives and lost loved ones in the reflections of mirrors sanity begins to decay. Now the remaining sane members of the crew must stop a mutiny as the lower ranks attack their own reflections viciously and lose their minds...

Sig by Heather Papps

Dick Bastardly

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Jolo posted:

I legitimately want to see this one.

edit: and the ones with swords

:same:

Dick Bastardly

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
In Galaxy 5,000 There's an alien wish granting non-profit, and they solicit wishes from the galaxy for kids with cancer on modern Earth and no one knows why the hell all these weird alien wishes are coming true for all these Earth cancer kids. Everyone real confused and kinda scared but there's a twist at the end where Earth gets invaded by some of those Galaxy 5,000 aliens and they force everyone to love one another. Platonically. Sex is outlawed.

A Bad King

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Wikipedia posted:

Space opera is a subgenre of science fiction that emphasizes space warfare, melodramatic adventure, interplanetary battles, chivalric romance, and risk-taking.

pls keep on topic thnx.

cda

by Hand Knit

this is a ctually a really good idea and i theres a lot of ground to cover there, like the fac tthat most of your childhood wishes would be dumb as hell but also like coming to terms with being an adult and stuff. the fact that none of the wishes were granted broke him down and made him cynical and "adult" and now he's got to recover his sense of wonder in order to deal with the wishes he created. it practically writes itself

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

cda posted:

this is a ctually a really good idea and i theres a lot of ground to cover there, like the fac tthat most of your childhood wishes would be dumb as hell but also like coming to terms with being an adult and stuff. the fact that none of the wishes were granted broke him down and made him cynical and "adult" and now he's got to recover his sense of wonder in order to deal with the wishes he created. it practically writes itself

I'd watch the hell out of it

https://i.imgur.com/QKTkerO.mp4
Sig elements by Manifisto and Heather Papps
Sig File protected by SigLock. do NOT steal this sig!

Jolo

Call up JJ Abrams and tell him that the alien should be represented as a bright light pointed at the camera. The lens flare throughout the movie was actually the alien watching over the boy from afar all throughout his life.

BoldFrankensteinMir

Point taken its not a space opera though.

cda

by Hand Knit

Point taken its not a space opera though.

Just add some singing and a magic ring or something

BoldFrankensteinMir

Princess Corona of the Solar Titans has been kidnapped by spacemen from beyond the Oort cloud! Can a punk-rock band abducted from a rooftop concert in 1981 by Martian poachers escape their Phobos enclosure, free Mars AND Earth AND Heaven from the spacemen, traverse the solar systems icy distances and rescue the princess from Planet X!? Probably, yes! Expect the expected, in Space Opera A!

Sig by Heather Papps

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
the hero is a nobody, but get this, somehow he's destined to save the galaxy. space stations blows up, space princesses are rescued, you name it. even the charming, but deadly rouge turns into a valiant knight.

plz leave the money @ my door in an unmarked envelope, tia

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

cda

by Hand Knit
If you were an alien with three arms would you weild

1) Three swords
2) A sword and a two-handed sword
3) A three-handed sword

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Dick Bastardly

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
An opera singer, who is also a sword, flying through space. Fin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoldFrankensteinMir

cda posted:

If you were an alien with three arms would you weild

1) Three swords
2) A sword and a two-handed sword
3) A three-handed sword

I would wield a sword and a two-handed riot shield (with a little cuckoo clock door in it for stabbing through)

Sig by Heather Papps

• Locked thread