Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Starring:
  • I Am Just a Box as Izumi Sakuya and her Stand, 『FLASHDANCE』.
  • VolticSurge as Mishima Kisaki and his Stand, 『BASS CANNON』.
  • Dr Pepper as Kamiyama Hiromu and her Stand, 『CROSSING THE FRAME』.
  • Tricky as Gojun Ryuko and her Stand, 『36 CHAMBERS』.
  • Poltergrift as Io Mifune and her Stand, 『EVERY BREATH YOU TAKE』.

OOC thread

Morioh Cho Radiooo~

"Good morning, Morioh! This is Morioh Radio. As always, I'm your host and neighbour, Kai Harada, and I'll be here with you for all of this morning. What a wonderful sunny morning in Morioh today! Perfect weather for our yearly Morioh Culture Festival! Well, to kick things off, here's our first song of the day."

The Morioh Culture Festival is always set up in front of the train station serves two purposes - to remind tourists that Morioh still exists, and for Morioh High School to avoid having to put any effort into holding their own. It's not terribly good at the former. This year might be the worst any of you have ever seen. The tourists are probably all abroad in America or Europe, as the bulk of the "customers" you've had are the people going to work and the parents of families who are politely sticking around. Most of the school kids who aren't slovenly attending their respective stands are trying to get into the Arcade, which might be the only busy place in Morioh right now.

What a dump.

Hey, kids! What stall did you get stuck with, and did you stick by it? if you stuck at your post, who's the most interesting person that's come up to you? If you ditched, did you go to the arcade where all the cool kids are?

Io Mifune, how are you handling the sudden influx of rowdy delinquents into your establishment? Which of the above kids would you least like to see in the arcade?

The Deleter fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jan 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Gojun Ryuko
Clever +3 | Forceful +2 | Flashy +2 | Quick +1 | Careful +1 | Sneaky +0
FP: 3 | Stress: ☐☐☐ | Consequences: None

Ryuko is, of course, one of the few holdouts still manning their assigned station. Class 2-B had been split up among a couple of connected food stalls and Ryuko had landed on being in charge of the takoyaki side of things. Her assistants... ditched immediately, leaving her cooking takoyaki to order and handling the cash register. That's a fair bit of work, even considering the less-than-stellar turnout. She is not a happy camper, despite the subtle assistance from『36 CHAMBERS』keeping everything running more or less as one would expect.

Still, there have been quite a few characters that have shown up for a fresh and tasty quartet of octopus balls. Of them, the one that stuck most in Ryuko's mind was a first year, Enatsu Tora. Tora's class was, unfortunately for her, running the maid cafe. The elaborate costumes — strangely elaborate given the lackluster care to detail everything else exhibited — were far too heavy for the heat of the sunny morning. A sigh escaped Ryuko's mouth as she handed the girl her order, also adding an icy bottle of water, "You gotta stay cool, Tora-chan. The culture festival is a marathon, not a sprint."

Tricky fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jan 30, 2018

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Kamiyama Hiromu
Careful +3/Clever +2/Flashy +2/Forceful +1/ Sneaky +1/ Quick +0
FP: 3 / Stress: [ ] [ ] [ ]

Needless to say, Hiromu was stuck at her class's stand. She had, despite not running, been elected Class President of 3-A so of course she had to go help man the stand.

The class had decided that selling dango with tea would be a great idea. Of course being a small stall the dango had to be made in advance and was kind of cold plus the tea was being sold in cheap paper cups, but it was the thought that counted.

Maybe.

Or maybe she'd die standing up from the boredom. Seriously, this had to be the least active festival ever in all of her three years of High School, three years of Middle School, and six years of Elementary School. And Hiromu had to keep up a vaguely pleasant smile during the entire mess.

It didn't help that she had to deal with some American reporter, clearly slightly drunk, claiming to be writing an article on the "Smaller towns of Japan" he seemed especially interested in her, for some reason. Probably had heard something about her from her parents or the principal or something. She barely gave it much thought beyond hoping he'd go away. He eventually scribbled some things into a notebook and left

The only comfort was her friend, and partner, the mysterious being she just knew was called "Crossing the Frame." She didn't know much about the silent mechanical looking spirit, only that it appeared only to her, despite being able to interact with the physical world. It was sitting on top of her stand now, letting her see a bit further around the festival then her own. Alas, people did not keep photographs around in festivals so she couldn't even partly go anywhere interesting right now.

Dr Pepper fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jan 30, 2018

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Mishima Kisaki
Forceful:+3 Clever:+2 Flashy:+2 Quick:+1 Sneaky:+1 Careful:+0
FP: 3 Stress: ☐☐☐ | Consequences: None

Misima rolled his eyes in frustration. They obviously set him up with the most boring possible stand for him as punishment for putting that third-year in the hospital. He growled under his breath. They're overreacting, he thought, I only knocked a couple of his teeth out and messed up his nose a bit. drat crybaby! Besides...punk was harassing one of the first-years. Someone needed to put him in his place. The stand in question...was about Morioh's contribution to the Second World War,which amounts to, like, 15 young men being sent off to join the glorious Imperial Army, one of whom actually survived the war and is kind of a hometown hero. Dammed if I can remember his name,Mishima thought. It started with a T, I think. He glanced down at one of the pamphlets he'd been trying to hand out. Oh right, it was Takahashi Fukuda.

His grumblings were briefly interrupted by a strange, possibly flamboyant man.First thing that drew Mishima's eye was his unusual tie. Where did he get that from? I've never seen a tie like that at the places I go to. Must be custom. Second thing was the paper bag in his hand, which Mishima wrote off as food he got from one of those American fast food places.They had a short, and mostly uneventful, conversation about Morioh until the man took a pamphlet and left with the parting words "Morioh is such a beautiful place, is it not? It truly is a wonderful town."

Something about that guy gave Mishima the creeps. He couldn't place it-besides the odd tie, nothing seemed really out of place about him. He started hoping something-anything-would happen just to take his mind off both the uncomfortable feeling and the boredom.

VolticSurge fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jan 30, 2018

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Izumi Sakuya
Forceful +3 | Flashy and Quick +2 | Clever and Sneaky +1 | Careful +0

Sakuya did not pay attention to her festival assignment. Something about dolls? Or fortunes? Maybe fortune dolls. Something she'd be terrible at. The other students in the group might complain but they're honestly probably better off without her.

Cleared her schedule up for crane games, at least for a half-hour or so, when the arcade started to fill to burst, and she got sick enough of being bounced around in the din. She said hi to big sister Io, double checked her part-time hours for next week with her, and got out of the place. As she left, she brushed shoulders against a slender girl with long black hair wearing the school uniform, but with an extended skirt, a short mantle clasped with gold-plated scarab broaches, and a white medical eyepatch with an Eye of Horus design drawn on it in marker.

"You," the girl said, stopping Sakuya's stride only briefly. She looked back at the girl with a sneering "haa?" The girl composed herself, leaning back with a backwards arch, and held one hand in front of her eyepatch, spread out perpendicular to her face. "I can feel the unseen eye resonating. How very interesting. The forces of 'that committee' will surely take an interest in you as well. I shall educate you: I am the new century's bearer of the unseen eye. While I was travelling to this locus of akashic activity, I—" Sakuya glanced down and interrupted, "You dropped your bag." The girl lost her composure and bent down to sweep up a plastic grocery store bag somebody had jostled from her hands, scrabbling for the patisserie bread poking out the top. "Whoa whoa whoa!! It's still good right, it's still good?? That's garlic cheese bread, and they baked this one just right!! I checked, I looked at all the other loaves and picked the best one! That was the only good one!!" As Sakuya walked off with her hands folded lazily behind her head, muttering "loser" to herself, a wide, staring yellow eye peered from behind the girl, and a pair of hands with black iron fingers helping her pick up her fallen groceries and sweep them back in the bag.

When she arrives at the cultural festival, Sakuya makes no effort to pretend she was here all along helping. She's still in her off-day clothes, with an open jacket and a pair of jeans with glittery highlights, and she doesn't bother going in the direction of wherever her stand is. After a bit of wandering, she spots Mishima's historical stand, and zeroes in on him with a Cheshire cat grin. "Ooh, educational," she says, carelessly picking up a pamphlet and making a show of flipping through it without actually reading it. "War history! I didn't know you were interested in history, Mishima-kun. You must have a lot to share about it." She's not snickering, but the way her teeth are showing, she might as well be.

I Am Just a Box fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jan 30, 2018

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Mishima Kisaki

Mishima sighed. On the one hand this was the perfect distraction from thinking about that creepy stranger. On the other, Sakuya-chan has always had the ability to get on his nerves.
He replied to her remarks with visible irritation. "Come on, you know why I'm here. You saw me lay Kazuma out." He then sighed. "So now I'm stuck here as my punishment. Honestly, I've been tempted to just head towards the arcade, but...you know how I am with the cops."

He took a look at her face and realized he should at least humor her. He then began to dryly recite the pamphlet from memory,but with his own "additions". "Takahashi served in the IJN for the duration of the War. He had an 'Illustrious' career which mainly consisted of somehow not dying during every major engagement with the American navy. At Midway he was among the crew of the Akagi when she went down, and he somehow got out of there without a scratch. He had several more ships shot out from under him during the war, none of which are mentioned in the pamplet which I guess means they weren't important.He was also one of the sailors present when the Americans accepted our surrender,yadda yadda yadda." A faint smirk crossed his face. "Kinda funny, isn't it, Sakuya-chan? The guy's a hero for doing barely anything. Honestly, he sounds less like a hero and more like the world's luckiest dumbass."

He checked his watch. Dammit, I've still got a few more hours to go. But then again... the cops are gonna have their hands full with drunken tourists today. Which means they probably won't have time for little ol' me. With that in mind he looked back up at Sakuya. "So,whaddya think about checking the arcade out? I was waiting for you to find me before I abandoned my post. Figured I could use the company." Let's hope she doesn't figure out that I literally just pieced this together... like a dumbass. Mishima groaned internally. If she figured it out she'd never let him forget it.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."
Mifune Io
Flashy +3, Clever +2, Quick +2, Careful +1, Forceful +1, Sneaky +0
FP: 3 | Stress: ☐☐☐ | Consequences: Free n' easy

See, at least in theory, a packed Arcade is exactly what Io wants -- more kids, more profit, a hundred yen at a time, and they're here instead of roaming the streets doing whatever it is bored delinquents in Morioh do (visiting the water tower, scamming tourists, violence against street signs... the list goes on).

But in practice, with her part-timer off at the school festival, she's been keeping an eye on the entire arcade. Even with her monopoly on the "bored teenagers" market and general leniency, Io knows that all it takes is one kid who won't respect the sanctity of the arcade to destabilize the controlled chaos. So when she sees someone escalating, using her long record of dealing with delinquents and delinquent-style posturing, Io walks over and puts in a quiet word -- nothing threatening, mind you. Just a reminder that she's here, she's watching, and if you want to settle a score with someone, we just got in the new Supersona 4 Colosseum machines.

(For people who don't even respect that, i.e., out-of-towners, there's also the bat hung prominently behind the service counter, though of course she'd never swing it at a kid; if troublemakers want to believe she might, though, that's their prerogative.)

As for who she'd least like to see in here... the thing with honor students is that you get two types, the quiet types and the poo poo-starters, and Morioh honor students are more often than not the latter. She's heard stories about some Ryuko girl who's gone off on a lot of her regulars. Sure, she knows -- and often employs -- angry kids, but most of them are known quantities of violence, not the type to pick fights with everyone at once. Get that honor student kid here, though, and she'd be chewing someone out in ten minutes flat, getting cursed out back, everything would escalate, and then the powder keg would explode and Io would have to get another crane game repaired. So she's keeping an eye on the doorway, too, just in case someone who can't be placated by sugar soda or video games comes in.

God, this is thirsty work. Io settles down in her folding chair and cracks open a Popsi, her third today. "Guess it's true running a place like this drives you to drink," she mutters to herself, half as a joke.

Poltergrift fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jan 30, 2018

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
The Arcade

Io, sitting out the front of the arcade and enjoying her soda, spies two teens she hasn't seen before.

These teens don't seem to be in class - that's certainly not any school uniform she's familiar with. Both are tall and lanky, and you suspect they might be siblings. They approach the front of the arcade at a leisurely stroll. The girl twirls one of her chains on the end of the finger, whilst the boy's hands are deep in his pockets. At their feet trots a small dog.

This dog looks very excited to be going to an arcade, which is unusual considering a) dogs don't seem to like the loud noises of the arcade, and b) you have a strict no animals policy.

---

The Market

Whilst Mishima and Sakuya decide whether or not to abscond to the arcade, a new figure shows up.

He browses the food stalls, muttering quietly under his breath He looks like a student, but you don't recognise what class he's in. It seems to take him a while to decide, but he finally makes his way over to the takoyaki. Tora, about to respond to Ryuko, falls silent upon him approaching, looking nervous.

"Hello", he says to Ryuko, almost too softly to hear. "Takoyaki for one, please."

As he fishes out several bills, Hiromu notices something - a head, crudely approximated by multicoloured cubes, materialises behind the boy's back. It looks around curiously, then vanishes again.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Kamiyama Hiromu

"What." Hiromu said. Something had just appeared at the back of that weird new student's back. That had been, strange.

Of course, Hiromu was no stranger to the strange, what with growing up in a Temple and all. Plus the whole thing about one day waking up to find Crossing the Frame looking over her was really weird. A random head appearing behind a guy's back was... new. And, well, at this point investigating that in any way would be better than this.

"Err, pardon me. I'm just going to... go for a bit." She said to the lone student helping her man the stall. "I won't be gone long, I just noticed something that needs my attention." Excuse given, she slipped, if only briefly, free from Dango Hell and headed towards a stall that, from the looks of it, was selling Takoyaki.

For now she's going to talk to the kid with the floating magic head. "Well good afternoon!" She said, plastering on the "Heir to the Temple" smile. She glanced over at the weird kid, "Enjoying the festival?"

Dr Pepper fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jan 31, 2018

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

Mifune Io

On the one hand, black bandanas over the mouth can mean danger. On the other, everyone knows black bandanas over the mouth mean danger, and so most kids wearing them are kids who want to look tougher than they are. Io stands, lazily, as they approach the entrance, casually positioning herself between dogs, teen and doors.

"Hold on," she says, careful not to sound commanding. "Now, I don't know if you're locals, but I figure if you're coming in with a dog, you're new to the Arcade. Rule is, if you leave crap on the floor while you're here, you clean it up before you leave." She shrugs. "And if you wound up cleaning dog crap off twenty different pairs of boots, I'd have to hire you. So unless you're pursuing a career path as janitors, I'd recommend tying him up nearby instead." An expansive gesture indicates all the different places a dog could be tied up. Signs! Parking meters! The mind boggles.

Rolling to make a Clever semi-joke, so these kids won't push back against leaving their dog out --

Sidekick posted:

4dF+2 = (b-+b)+2 = 2

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011

Izumi Sakuya

Sakuya just watches Mishima with that smirk of hers until he rolls his eyes and launches into his recitation. "See? You're a natural. Dude really had to be a lucky sucker, though. I mean, that was how many boats sunk? How many people survive a sinking boat? I guess maybe more than you'd figure."

Fortunately for Mishima's pride, Sakuya's not especially observant, and takes his offer at face value. "The arcade? Heh, I actually just came from there. You wouldn't believe how packed it is, I got sick of it. But sure," she says with a smile half condescending and half genuinely friendly, "If you were waiting on me then I'm not gonna disappoint ya. As long as you don't mind shoving past a bunch of noisy assholes."

She tosses the leaflet she picked up carelessly onto the table of the history stand, and strolls past some stammering kid with short white hair, hands stuffed in her pockets. She talks while she and Mishima take a couple shortcuts down to the arcade, not far away. "You picked anything up about 'that thing' yet?" That thing: the mysterious arrow that left a still-visible wound where it pierced through Sakuya's right leg, that day shortly before her Stand manifested for the first time. She never saw who fired it, heard their voice, or even learned whether it was a man or a woman. "Hanging around the archery club was a total dead end. rear end in a top hat making me waste this much time, when I get my hands on him..." She catches her fist in her open palm. She may not know what all this business is with Stand abilities and strange arrows, but she knows one thing: you go around spearing innocent people in the leg, and you forfeit your right to teeth.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Gojun Ryuko

Ryuko looks at the newcomer for a moment, trying to figure out his angle, then shrugs, "Alright, that'll be 250 yen. Do you want something to drink? Barley tea or cold water's another 150." Behind her, the figures of『36 CHAMBERS』expertly flip takoyaki, the work being accomplished to a beat that no one but them could hear. The honor student holds out her hand expectantly, waiting for the boy to hand her money... then Hiromu storms in. Is the shrine maiden trying to poach a sale? That's low. A bold idea, especially given the lacking crowds, but low.

Ryuko's look turns withering as it lands on Hiromu, "Uh, excuse me, he's about to pay for his food. Can you save the small talk?"

There is a hint of curiosity under the accusatory tone. Why was Hiromu — a known goodie-two-shoes — blowing off her stand to come steal customers? Was there something else going on? Why this guy, of all people? Looking between the two a little closer, Ryuko tries to piece together what might have drawn her attention.

quote:

SidekickBOT - Today at 6:19 PM
@Tricky: 4dF+3 Ryuko Carefully Overcomes <Mystery Boy>'s Mystery = (+b++)+3 = 6

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Mishima Kisaki

Mishima chuckled. "You know noisy assholes are my specialty,right?" He then couldn't help but make his trademark grin.

As they were walking, Sakuya-chan's question made Mishima briefly shudder.He still vividly remembered the day where she got sent to the school nurse with an arrow lodged in her leg,supposedly an "accident". The arrow mysteriously disappeared after it was removed,which does not imply an accident. That was a week before possibly the same punk shot him with it, right in the chest. He still had the scar to remind him. And the ghost thing. He turned to face her, his grin suddenly disappearing. "Sakuya-chan..." he began,his loud voice suddenly dropping into a serious whisper. "I've picked up at least one possible lead...and he visited my stand before you showed up. Something about him is fishy. I'll...no, we'll get to the bottom of this, I promise. For the both of us. I'll give you all the details when we're somewhere more private." His grin suddenly returned, and his voice regained its louder tone. "But until then, I think we should unwind a bit. Whaddya say?"

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Kamiyama Hiromu

"Huh?" Hiromu looked over to the person manning the front of Takoyaki stand. The way the stand was constructed, she couldn't see whoever was inside working on the food being sold. She recognized the girl as Ryuko, the top student of the year below hers. She actually thinks Hiromu gives a poo poo about these dumb stands? Ugg. She forced that pleasant smile to continue. "I'm sorry, I was not trying to... poach... any proceeds." She said.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Gojun Ryuko

Ryuko shrugs, "Then it's fine."

The glare is gone, replaced with something akin to a completely professional concentration. She was going to make this sale. Every solitary yen put her class one step closer to the big end-of-year trip. Maybe the rest of the second years didn't care, but she was looking forward to it.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011

Izumi Sakuya

"Yeah, I bet you know all about assholes," Sakuya says, and then pauses, feeling vaguely confused by her own innuendo. That doesn't actually make any sense in Japanese, why did she say that?

She forgets about that when Mishima suddenly sounds deadly serious, and Sakuya stops in her tracks, raising her chin and folding her arms unusually low, waist turned to the side. "You say a lead... what kind of lead? Did you see the arrow? Or record somebody talking about guardian spirits? Did you see someone get shot?" She's never heard anyone use the word Stand, but there are little okurigana in her speech that clarify what she's talking about. "It depends on what you saw, but if it's a real lead, I'm not going back to the claw game until I've pinched this guy's head off first!"

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Mishima Kisaki

Misima calmly leaned to Sakuya and whispered, "Didn't see the arrow on him. But I think he might have it. Judging from his tie-a custom job-he must have a pretty good supply of money. And the man had an...I guess you'd call it, an aura around him. Like he was trying to hide something. Including possibly the bow&arrow or a Stand of his own. There's also the possibility of both. There's a pretty even chance he's involved in this, or he might be just a creep. Either way I had a gut feeling about him. Let's just say he...left quite an impression when he visited my stand. He kept going on about how carefree his life is and how he just loves pretty girls and a whole bunch of other stuff that just set off my alarm bells."

He then sighed. "Sad thing is, I don't think he gave me his name. But I'll be able to pick him out of a crowd, easy. He...stands out in his own unique way. First plan of attack I can think of is maybe we should ask around the arcade if anyone else knows or has seen this man? It's a good first step,at least."

VolticSurge fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Feb 1, 2018

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011

Izumi Sakuya

Sakuya stands there, arms folded. She listens while Mishima explains, and then, for a beat after, remains quiet.

"Koryaaa!!" She drives a winding right hook for the side of Mishima's face, standing over him with a steaming scowl. It's a pretty hard punch, but nothing Mishima hasn't taken before and kept rolling. "You got me worked up over a guy with a nice tie? A guy with a nice tie?! You know who else was being a weirdo and standing out and flaunting his expensive tie the other day? You were!! And it was a dumb tie!! The one with the rising sun under the super bright tiger stripes? It was a stupid tie but I didn't go around saying you were shooting people in the leg!!"

She kicks her leg, knocking up a thick cloud of dust. If they weren't friends, she'd probably just be hitting Mishima again. Instead, she storms off in the direction of the arcade, and stops to turn back and point her finger at Kisaki. "I'm gonna kick your rear end in the first game we play. What are you bad at? We're playing that."

I Am Just a Box fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Feb 1, 2018

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Mishima Kisaki

Mishima rubbed his cheek. I almost forgot how hard Sakuya-chan can swing! drat... he thought to himself,scowling for a moment. ...I thought I was onto something there. As much as it pains me to admit, she has a point. He really might just be a weirdo.

"Alright," he grumbled,his smile slowly returning. "I guess you're right. I'll have to dig around a bit more. If it's any help, I've ruled a couple people out. Kazuma,because, as you saw, guy has no upper body strength. Not enough to pull a bow-string,at any rate. And, while he has enough muscle to do it, the kid with the wacky hair doesn't have the right M.O." With that he shrugged. "When you've been around Dad's American 'investors' as long as I have, you pick up some fancy words."

As he followed Sakuya into the arcade,Mishima reluctantly replied "Well, I could never get the hang of that F-Mega machine.I guess I'm more into games like the Fighting Street series." I remember playing that with Dad, before I had to leave. We'd made a habit out of it,by that point.Whenever he had time off he'd take me to the arcade. Old man beat me every other time, but during that last bout I'd finally surpassed him. He had the biggest drat smile on his face. Mishima thought to himself,his grin fully returned. "But after you've had your fun, what say we go a couple rounds? Unless you're afraid to lose?"

VolticSurge fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Feb 1, 2018

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Outside the Arcade

quote:

Defending against authority!
SidekickBOT - Today at 8:25 PM
@ClockwiseMan: 4dF-2 = (b-b-)-2 = -4

Ifune gets a Boost! This represents a brief advantage in the situation - you may invoke it once and then it goes away. Name it what you like.

Kisaki and Sakuya arrive just in time to see these two punks get owned by Io. They visibly deflate as she lays down the law about the rules of the arcade.

"Yeah, uh, sorry." The male doesn't offer much more than that, turning to the dog and kneeling down to whisper to it.

"We, uh, we're new around here." The girl is pretty blatantly not telling the truth, but you see her fishing in her pockets for coins. "Didn't know the rules. Sorry, ma'am."

The two obediently file into the arcade. The dog is not tied up - instead, it sits down outside and yawns. It's a very obedient dog. You see a glimmer of something in its eyes, and although it has no collar, it seems well-kept. Also, the lack of a collar allows you see a small patch of bare skin on its neck, about the size of a 100 yen coin.

As you go back to sit down and drink your Popsi, you notice your can has moved a foot or so away from where you were sitting, towards the dog.

quote:

An unknown force attempts to Cleverly Create an Advantage over you!
SidekickBOT - Today at 8:34 PM
@ClockwiseMan: 4dF+2 = (+-++)+2 = 4

The Market

quote:

Ryuko succeeds with style!

As Ryuko studies the mystery boy, watching him manage to assemble 300 yen in notes with the care of a palaeontologist at a dig site, she notices a string of multicoloured cubes flash over his shoulder. The cubes transfigure into an arm and reach out towards a ball of Takoyaki. The boy freezes and looks at the arm, and then up at Ryuko. His face goes even paler than usual.

quote:

Stand User: Kira Hayato
Stand Name: ???

Aspect: Can't Control My Stand (2 free invokes)

"Hayato? Kira Hayato?" Tora's voice startles the boy out of his fear. With a mumbled "sorry thank you got to go," he hurls the bills at Ryuko's face and runs, the arm of cubes snatching the tray of takoyaki up behind him as he darts through the crowd.

"What a weirdo." Tora doesn't sound too concerned, and definitely didn't see the arm. "He sits at the back of the class and doesn't talk to anyone. Total loser."

quote:

Quickly Overcome to put distance between Hayato and Ryuko
SidekickBOT - Today at 8:56 PM
@ClockwiseMan: 4dF+1 = (+-bb)+1 = 1

The Deleter fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Feb 1, 2018

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Gojun Ryuko

Ryuko watched the shenanigans, the sudden explosion of lego blocks out of the boy's back meriting only a raised eyebrow. Expertly catching the thrown bills, she quickly realizes the real problem at hand: the kid didn't wait for change! Now, most kids, they'd just put the extra 50 yen in the till and call it good. Ryuko was not most kids. Even when it was hard, even when she really didn't need to, she was the type that just wanted everything done by the book. She shakes her head, responding to Tora, "No kidding? Hey, watch things here for a minute. He forgot his change."

While she was talking, one of『36 CHAMBERS』had cleverly positioned themselves in front of Hayato's path of egress through the crowd. As if it was nothing at all,『RZA』swept the boy's feet out from under him. Truly, the Wu-Tang are nothing to gently caress with. Walking over to him, a nod to Hiromu as she went, Ryuko looked like she was about to pound him into next week. Step after heavy step, she drew closer to the boy.

quote:

SidekickBOT - Today at 12:09 PM
@Tricky: 4dF+3 Ryuko Overcomes his attempts to run with 『36 CHAMBERS』 = (-b-+)+3 = 2

That's a Success.

Tricky fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Feb 1, 2018

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

Mifune Io

Naming the Boost Master of My Domain.

Well, on the one hand, those kids seemed pretty thoroughly cowed. On the other hand, a dog that well-trained under the supervision of kids like that... pretty strange. Io regards it for a few moments, trying to work out what, exactly, is keeping it there...

...well, not that strange. Back to Popsi.

A Popsi that is now, suddenly, much closer to the dog.

Io considers why someone might've moved her Popsi in the few seconds she took to enlighten some customers, and comes to the conclusion that they don't pay her enough to care. Can's more or less empty now, anyway. And... well, maybe it's a whim, but what's the use of owning an arcade and dressing like a refugee from the eighties if you can't do something fun and stupid once in a while? Why not?

With a single, almost lazy kick, Io tries to catch the can in the curve of her shoe and flick it upwards...

Sidekick posted:

Flashily defending from dog can theft by securing the can in the most unnecessary way possible:
4dF+3 = (+--b)+3 = 2

Oh, right. That's why not.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Kamiyama Hiromu

Well that was interesting. Not just this Hayato kid, but Ryuko too had these spirits trailing them? A genuine smile crossed her face, it was much... scarier... then her usual placid smile.

And to think, she had thought the gift of seeing the world through 『CROSSING THE FRAME』was the best thing that had happened to her. But if there were others with similar spirits bound to them, well that might give her even better relief from the ennui plaguing her.

She took a deep breath, pointing at Kira. "Please! Stop Hayato-kun!" She said in her best Concerned Class President voice. At the same time, 『CROSSING THE FRAME』materialized by her side, rocketing towards the poor kid, ready to pin him down.

Just her luck that Ryuko's little spirits tripped him huh?

quote:

@Dr Pepper: 4dF+2 Hiromu Flashily Creates an Advantage to restrain the tripped Kira! = (b+-b)+2 = 2

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Mishima Kisaki

Mishima couldn't help but chuckle at that girl's soda can blunder,but then he focused on the bigger issue. "Something seems off with that dog, Sakuya-chan." he muttered, pointing towards the offending pooch. "I think it has one of these Stand things. I'm gonna take a closer look." He quickly glanced back around at his friend and reassuringly said "I'm not gonna try and beat it up. It doesn't seem like it wants a fight." He turned his gaze back at the dog. "But I'll need you to back me up if it attacks me.No idea what else its Stand can do." He slowly began approaching the dog.

Sidekick posted:

4dF+0 Mishima Carefully Overcomes the dog = (++-+)+0 = 2

So far so good.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Outside the Arcade

Io spills soda all over herself. As she looks down at her now damp top, the dog turns to look at her.

quote:

Mysterious force creates Boost "ゴゴゴゴ"

She gets the feeling this is not a normal dog. Thankfully, Mishima has arrived.

quote:

SidekickBOT - Today at 6:39 PM
@VolticSurge: 4dF+0 Mishima Carefully Overcomes the dog = (++-+)+0 = 2

Beats difficulty of 1 for a Success!

He approaches the dog. It looks at him, then begins panting. It's... a dog, alright. You can see the mark on its neck as well.

The Market

Hayato eats hard poo poo, collapsing to his face. The few people milling around the plaza stop and turn as he falls, one or two wincing in sympathy.

quote:

SidekickBOT - Today at 6:23 PM
@ClockwiseMan: 4dF+1 Hayato Forcefully Defends against being pinned = (-bb-)+1 = -1

Hiromu Succeeds with Style! You can create an Aspect with two three invokes!

As Crossing the Frame approaches, the block-swarm limbs emerge again, but they're not fast enough and the camera-eyed Stand pins Hayato to the ground. He yelps and begins to struggle, much to the confusion of the normal people watching. His takoyaki roll away across the asphalt. His Stand flails against Crossing the Frame's body, blocks tak-taking against its body.

"Wh- what is this? Let me go!" Hayato struggles to get up, but he''s well pinned. But Hiromu can sense a sudden fear and desperation, pounding in her head like a drum in time with his Stand's flailing. He's scared out of his mind.

quote:

COMPEL. Hiromu is Spiritually Sensitive and can sense Hayato's fear at being caught through his Stand. If she lets him go, either due to the presence or through sympathy, she can have a Fate point.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011

Izumi Sakuya

Sakuya barks out a laugh as Io spills soda over herself for basically no reason, and then makes a terrible show of hiding it, holding the back of her hand against her mouth. "The heck was that??" she asks, distracted from noticing the little scar on the dog's neck until Mishima points it out. She kneels down beside him in front of the dog, rolling her eyes. "The dog is not going to attack you. Look at the poor little cutie." She holds her hand out for the dog to sniff, and to the vision of a Stand user, the colorful hand of 「Flashdance」 appears overlaid upon her hand, offered as well. She doesn't need to use her Stand ability for anything, but it comes as a sort of instinct to introduce herself to the little doggie.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Gojun Ryuko

Ryuko, flanked by『36 CHAMBERS』, pushes her way through the crowd. Or, perhaps more accurately to those not able to see stands, a conspicuous void opens up in the crowd as Ryuko walks through. As she sees a weirdo camera thing come out of nowhere to tackle the boy and hold him down, her brow furrows in consternation. On the one hand, it was good that he was stopped so that she could catch up. On the other... he hadn't really done anything wrong? She looks around for the source of the weird spirit, but doesn't see anything — or anyone — immediately. Huh. She'd have to keep an eye out for anyone acting weird.

Drawing ever closer, Ryuko pulls something from a pocket as she settles down into a squat next to the struggling kid. Metal glints in the light from between her fingers. She practically growls out, "Kid. You forgot something."

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

Mifune Io
FP: 3 | Stress: ☐☐☐ | Consequences: Peeved but unhurt

"Take this as a lesson, kids," says Io, playing that little incident off with as much dignity as she can muster (while grimacing at the scent of Popsi). "Reflexes are the first thing to go."

Still, soda aside, her instincts, honed by years of dealing with rowdy customers, are speaking to her. They're saying something about this dog, i.e., "it's dangerous." And as little sense as that makes -- what could be so dangerous about a small, well-behaved animal? -- she's inclined to err on the side of these kids not getting their hands gnawed off; she can see Sakuya's ghostly "hand" overlaid clearly for what may be the first time, and if all this supernatural strangeness is related, who's to say it can't, too? "Sakuya, mind stepping inside? Wanted to go over your hours a little." She smiles. "Not to mention, we've got a new rail shooter in." Hopefully, mister Yakuza will follow.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Kamiyama Hiromu
FP: 4 / Stress: [ ] [ ] [ ]

And just like that the buzzing in her head from all her time stuck at the Shrine told her that keeping the guy pinned down was a bad idea.

She let out a sigh, and walked over to Kira. She kneeled down and whispered, "You are going to tell me about this, Hayato-kun." She said in icily sweet voice, before Crossing the Frame let him go, and she held out a hand to Kira, "Here, I'll help you up." She said in a much louder voice.

quote:

Hiromu accepts the compel, gets 1 Fate Point.

Hiromu applies the aspect "You Owe Me" to Kira

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Gojun Ryuko

Ryuko gives Hiromu a measured glance as she holds out a hand to Hayato. It wasn't that hard to connect the camera being to her, not with such an obvious link as the hand and the simultaneous release, which meant... Hm. Maybe the shrine maiden was more interesting than she had thought. She says, thrusting the 50 yen coin at Hayato, "...You forgot your change." A considering look at the two, then she adds, "So you've got them too?"

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Outside the Arcade

As Flashdance's hand briefly appears over Sakuya's hand, the dog pauses. Briefly, Sakuya sees another hand reach out, purple furry, reminding her of the monsters on the tokusatsu shows the kids watch. But then it's gone, and the dog sniffs her hand. Looks like the dog's not bright enough to hide its ability from people it likes.

quote:

STAND USER: A Good Dog
STAND NAME: 「A GOOD DAY」

"Hey, what are you doing?!"

The dog's owners have emerged from the arcade, shoulders hunched, staring angrily at Skauya. The dude comes closest, but both are still keeping their distance - eyeing

"What're you manhandlin' my dog for?" He's very in-your-face about it. "You just go pickin' up other people's stuff without permission all the time, huh? You put my dog down, buster, an' maybe I'll look the other way."

quote:

SidekickBOT - Today at 8:44 PM
@ClockwiseMan: 4dF+2 Create an Advantage on Sakuya = (b--+)+2 = 1

---

The Market

Hayato almost shrinks into the sidewalk, but lets Hiromu help him up anyway, mouthing "thanks" and taking the change from Ryuko. When Ryuko mentions having "them", he flinches.

"Got wha-" He stops himself, realising that lying won't work. "I'm... Dad told me not to show anyone. He said it's like show- he said it's rude." In defiance of his father's orders, Hayato's Stand peeps over his shoulder, watching Hiromu.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011

Izumi Sakuya

"See, she's a good girl. There's nothing to worry about." Sakuya gently extends her hand forward to scratch around the good dog's neck and behind the ears. "Sshh. Good girl."

Soon, though, the dog's owners emerge, calling her out. The dude is loud, but he doesn't have the guts to step right up and stand over her. She strokes the back of the good dog's head, and then pats it gently.

"Haaaaahh??!!" she rasps, rising to her feet and holding her arms back in a looming stance. Her eyes open wide, her pupils contract, and a vein pulses visibly. "Did I hear somebody accuse me of manhandling? I'd never lay a hand on a hair of a good little girl like this. But if you're really looking for a manhandling, I can help you out with that." She gestures behind her, waving Mishima off preemptively before he offers his help. She doesn't need any.

"Come get it. Unless, of course, you're just babbling about things you don't understand. Like a toddler still wiping his own puke off his little frilly bib."

ゴゴゴゴゴゴゴゴゴゴ

quote:

SidekickBOT - Today at 5:27 PM
@I am just a box: 4dF+3 Forcefully Defend to outscare Team Skull = (b+--)+3 = 2

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Kamiyama Hiromu
FP: 4 / Stress: [ ] [ ] [ ]

"I don't see how it's rude, after all only a select few can see these sorts of things." Hiromu whispered, "Still, your father knows about this?" If his father knew then this class of spirit might have more to it then she thought.

She looked over at Ryuko, "What do you think, Gojun-san?" Probe both of them for info. "This all seems very unusual."

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Gojun Ryuko

Ryuko looks thoughtful for a moment, finally saying, "I'm not sure what to make of it. I've had『36 CHAMBERS』for quite some time now, but..."

She looks at the lego-like figure popping out of Hayato's shoulder and waves『RZA』forward. The imposing figure, sword sheathed, steps forward and puts his hands forward in a W. The man says, simply, "Peace."

Ryuko says, "What's yours called, Hayato?"

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

Mifune Io

Io interpolates herself between the Team Skull kids and her part-timer, hands placating. "Far as I can tell, kids, you're all on the same side here, dogwise. And I know none of you are petty enough to pick a fight over who gets to pat her, so..."

While doing that, she steals a glance at the dog, just for a second -- has that weird vibe she's getting from it intensified in the presence of possible violence?

Sidekick posted:

Quickly stealing a glance at the dog to determine its true intentions
4dF+2 = (b+--)+2 = 1

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Outside the Arcade

The delinquents pause as Sakuya stands up to them. Clearly, they've never had anyone stand up to them before. And Io's presence dampens their attempts even more.

quote:

SidekickBOT - Today at 9:57 PM
@ClockwiseMan: 4dF+3 Quickly Defend against Io's prying gaze! = (-b++)+3 = 4

Before any other moves can be made, the dog yelps. It wriggles out of Sakuya's grip and falls - no, floats to the floor, carried down by the purple hands. It darts into the arcade before anyone can stop it.

"You- you better not have touched him!" The girl's threat isn't very convincing, but she's occupied with darting into the arcade after her dog to think of a better outcome.

---

The Market

Hayato's brow furrows. "...Name? I didn't know you had to name them. Dad never mentioned that. Uhm..."

He looks back over his shoulder at his Stand. "I never thought about it, but... I suppose 『STARMAN』 might work? What do you think?"

『STARMAN』 waves happily at『RZA』.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011

Izumi Sakuya

Sakuya turns and spits upon the pavement. "That's what I thought."

She's in the midst of being scolded by her boss when she notices the dog slipping her grip, though, and deciding it wants to go for a walk on its own. "Hey, look out!" It's already into the arcade when the phantasmal colors of 「Flashdance」 flicker around her spiritual aura. A moment after her foot hits the ground in stride, the space she had occupied is empty, and she's within the arcade. She shoves a stranger out of her way to scan the floor, and then she's several feet forward again, falling to a crouch to look beneath a railing. At her first sight of the dog, she sends her Stand forward, lowering and cupping its arms to cradle empty space, and then shifts forward again, moving 「Flashdance」 into position to try to scoop up the dog safely.

quote:

SidekickBOT - Today at 4:42 PM
@I am just a box: 4dF+4 Flash Step to Quickly overcome the Escape of Dog. = (+--b)+4 = 3

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Mishima Kisaki

FP: 2 Stress: ☐☐☐ | Consequences: None

As Sakuya-chan attempted to intercept the dog, Mishima glanced over towards the two punks. Clearly they're in cahoots with the dog. Or at the very least they know more than they let on. His grin returned. Time to use what Dad taught me.

He approached the punks, cracking his knuckles in an attempt to intimidate them. "Hey, losers! Mind explaining what the Hell's going on?!" He narrowed his eyes menacingly. "There's two ways we can do this,punks. Easy way or my way. Your choice."

quote:

SidekickBOT - Today at 4:36 PM
@VolticSurge: 4dF+3 Forcefully Creating an Advantage against Team Skull = (----)+3 = -1

OK, that wasn't gonna get them to budge. So Mishima then did the most menacing thing he could-he grabbed one of the punks by his collar.

quote:

SidekickBOT - Today at 4:49 PM
@VolticSurge: 4dF+3 Forcefully Creating an Advantage against Team Skull...again = (b-bb)+3 = 2

OOC:I used a Fate Point to invoke the aspect "My Fists are a Tool of Justice" for a re-roll.

VolticSurge fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Feb 19, 2018

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Outside the Arcade

quote:

SidekickBOT - Today at 6:43 PM
@ClockwiseMan: 4dF Defend against Mishima = (bb++) = 2

The teen doesn't show any fear despite being grabbed by his collar. "What, you think you can intimidate the great Kaya Kantaro? You're that Mishima bitch, aren't you? You ain't poo poo around here!"

At the least, you've got him at a disadvantage, which helps a little bit when he headbutts you in the face.

quote:

You get a Boost!

SidekickBOT - Today at 7:53 PM
@ClockwiseMan: 4dF (attack) Headbutt Mishima in the face = (++bb) = 2

Inside the arcade, teens yelp as the dog darts through the crowded place. 「Flashdance」's hands end up under the dog before「A Good Day」's purple paws push the dog upwards, jinking it out of your grip.

quote:

SidekickBOT - Today at 7:54 PM
@ClockwiseMan: 4dF+3 Defend against Flashstep = (bb++)+3 = 5

The dog makes it to the counter where Io would normally be sitting, leaping up onto the polished surface and turning back to snarl at you. You see 「A Good Day」in full now, a ball of purple furry arms and hands gesticulating and flailing. It grabs the cash register from the top of the counter and heaves it out of place with a shriek of metal, heedless of the confused yells from the nearby kids who are watching. One hand wrenches the drawer open and snatches a wad of bills out of the tray. The rest then hurl the register at one of the nearby crane games. Glass explodes outwards and the kids panic even more!

quote:

SidekickBOT - Today at 8:01 PM
@ClockwiseMan: 4dF+2 Forcefully Create Advantage "Pandemonium!" = (bbb+)+2 = 3

ClockwiseMan - Today at 8:02 PM
Invoking Boost "ゴゴゴゴ" to add +2, 4/5 GM FP left

Result of 5 - will Succeed with Style if unopposed!

--

The Market

A shout suddenly comes from the crowd. You see two different things at once.

First of all, there's a fight breaking out outside the arcade. The Mishima kid has just been headbutted in the face by someone who looks way moe of a punk than he ever could be. That's not great.

Second, Tora, watching everything in confusion back at the stands, has just been hit by an arrow. She lies slumped over on the floor, not moving.

Hayato seems very overwhelmed by whats going on. 「Starman」shrinks backwards.

The Deleter fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Feb 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

Mifune Io

Oh, hell.

Oh, hell, that's the new machine. The one with barely any gum stuck under it. The time for subtlety was maybe five minutes ago.

The supernatural having escalated from "manageable" to "imminent disaster," Io decides that now is very much the time to remove the kid gloves. Entering the arcade proper, she steps forward as glass shards fly every which way -- only to stop in the air, as 「Every Breath You Take」solidifies a swathe of air in front of her face, letting shards embed themselves in subtly rippling air a few inches thick. They drip out, leaving the rest of the air-gel pristine and the ground covered in little bits of air-gelled glass. Then Io focuses, and EBYT's ghostly presence passes over the sheen of the gel. With a dull but solid "WHUMP," it resounds -- air-gel doesn't explode particularly hard, but it does explode loud, especially if she's had a few seconds to compress it.

Once Io is sure every eye is on her -- on the owner of this goddamn barely-profitable beauty of an arcade, thank you very much -- she gestures to the doors.

"Out. Single file, please."

Sidekick posted:

Flashily Defending -- forgot to specify -- by getting the kids out of my goddamn arcade by blocking glass shards and doing one-liners
4dF+3 = (b-b+)+3 = 3

And invoking Master of my Domain
For a +2 to the roll

• Locked thread