Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Gojun Ryuko
Clever +3 | Forceful +2 | Flashy +2 | Quick +1 | Careful +1 | Sneaky +0
FP: 3 | Stress: ☐☐☐ | Consequences: None

Ryuko is, of course, one of the few holdouts still manning their assigned station. Class 2-B had been split up among a couple of connected food stalls and Ryuko had landed on being in charge of the takoyaki side of things. Her assistants... ditched immediately, leaving her cooking takoyaki to order and handling the cash register. That's a fair bit of work, even considering the less-than-stellar turnout. She is not a happy camper, despite the subtle assistance from『36 CHAMBERS』keeping everything running more or less as one would expect.

Still, there have been quite a few characters that have shown up for a fresh and tasty quartet of octopus balls. Of them, the one that stuck most in Ryuko's mind was a first year, Enatsu Tora. Tora's class was, unfortunately for her, running the maid cafe. The elaborate costumes — strangely elaborate given the lackluster care to detail everything else exhibited — were far too heavy for the heat of the sunny morning. A sigh escaped Ryuko's mouth as she handed the girl her order, also adding an icy bottle of water, "You gotta stay cool, Tora-chan. The culture festival is a marathon, not a sprint."

Tricky fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jan 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Gojun Ryuko

Ryuko looks at the newcomer for a moment, trying to figure out his angle, then shrugs, "Alright, that'll be 250 yen. Do you want something to drink? Barley tea or cold water's another 150." Behind her, the figures of『36 CHAMBERS』expertly flip takoyaki, the work being accomplished to a beat that no one but them could hear. The honor student holds out her hand expectantly, waiting for the boy to hand her money... then Hiromu storms in. Is the shrine maiden trying to poach a sale? That's low. A bold idea, especially given the lacking crowds, but low.

Ryuko's look turns withering as it lands on Hiromu, "Uh, excuse me, he's about to pay for his food. Can you save the small talk?"

There is a hint of curiosity under the accusatory tone. Why was Hiromu — a known goodie-two-shoes — blowing off her stand to come steal customers? Was there something else going on? Why this guy, of all people? Looking between the two a little closer, Ryuko tries to piece together what might have drawn her attention.

quote:

SidekickBOT - Today at 6:19 PM
@Tricky: 4dF+3 Ryuko Carefully Overcomes <Mystery Boy>'s Mystery = (+b++)+3 = 6

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Gojun Ryuko

Ryuko shrugs, "Then it's fine."

The glare is gone, replaced with something akin to a completely professional concentration. She was going to make this sale. Every solitary yen put her class one step closer to the big end-of-year trip. Maybe the rest of the second years didn't care, but she was looking forward to it.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Gojun Ryuko

Ryuko watched the shenanigans, the sudden explosion of lego blocks out of the boy's back meriting only a raised eyebrow. Expertly catching the thrown bills, she quickly realizes the real problem at hand: the kid didn't wait for change! Now, most kids, they'd just put the extra 50 yen in the till and call it good. Ryuko was not most kids. Even when it was hard, even when she really didn't need to, she was the type that just wanted everything done by the book. She shakes her head, responding to Tora, "No kidding? Hey, watch things here for a minute. He forgot his change."

While she was talking, one of『36 CHAMBERS』had cleverly positioned themselves in front of Hayato's path of egress through the crowd. As if it was nothing at all,『RZA』swept the boy's feet out from under him. Truly, the Wu-Tang are nothing to gently caress with. Walking over to him, a nod to Hiromu as she went, Ryuko looked like she was about to pound him into next week. Step after heavy step, she drew closer to the boy.

quote:

SidekickBOT - Today at 12:09 PM
@Tricky: 4dF+3 Ryuko Overcomes his attempts to run with 『36 CHAMBERS』 = (-b-+)+3 = 2

That's a Success.

Tricky fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Feb 1, 2018

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Gojun Ryuko

Ryuko, flanked by『36 CHAMBERS』, pushes her way through the crowd. Or, perhaps more accurately to those not able to see stands, a conspicuous void opens up in the crowd as Ryuko walks through. As she sees a weirdo camera thing come out of nowhere to tackle the boy and hold him down, her brow furrows in consternation. On the one hand, it was good that he was stopped so that she could catch up. On the other... he hadn't really done anything wrong? She looks around for the source of the weird spirit, but doesn't see anything — or anyone — immediately. Huh. She'd have to keep an eye out for anyone acting weird.

Drawing ever closer, Ryuko pulls something from a pocket as she settles down into a squat next to the struggling kid. Metal glints in the light from between her fingers. She practically growls out, "Kid. You forgot something."

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Gojun Ryuko

Ryuko gives Hiromu a measured glance as she holds out a hand to Hayato. It wasn't that hard to connect the camera being to her, not with such an obvious link as the hand and the simultaneous release, which meant... Hm. Maybe the shrine maiden was more interesting than she had thought. She says, thrusting the 50 yen coin at Hayato, "...You forgot your change." A considering look at the two, then she adds, "So you've got them too?"

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Gojun Ryuko

Ryuko looks thoughtful for a moment, finally saying, "I'm not sure what to make of it. I've had『36 CHAMBERS』for quite some time now, but..."

She looks at the lego-like figure popping out of Hayato's shoulder and waves『RZA』forward. The imposing figure, sword sheathed, steps forward and puts his hands forward in a W. The man says, simply, "Peace."

Ryuko says, "What's yours called, Hayato?"

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Gojun Ryuko

Ryuko's head snaps around dramatically, her body settling into an impossible pose, as she takes in the sight of Tora impaled by an arrow. Her eyes widen, her fists tightening, and she shouts, "Tora!" Of course, she notices the chaos around the arcade. How could she not? But when Tora was hurt because of a favor that she had requested of her... There was only one choice. "Hayato, find somewhere safe and stay down. I'll get you some replacement takoyaki when we're done. Hiromu... Do what you like. I need to help her."

She begins picking her way through the suddenly distracted crowd. Menace radiated off of her. If she found out who had done this to poor Tora...

ゴゴゴゴゴゴゴゴゴゴ

Meanwhile,『36 CHAMBERS』has exploded into action. Both because of Ryuko's inner call to action, yes, but also because the honor student was in as much danger as anyone else with a bow-wielding maniac on the loose. Spreading out to the limit of their range, twenty pairs of eyes scan the surroundings. Surely so many vantage points would turn up something, even if only the barest of clues...

quote:

SidekickBOT - Yesterday at 10:02 PM
@Tricky: 4dF+2 Ryuko Flashily Overcomes the mystery of where the arrow came from = (bbb-)+2 = 1

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Gojun Ryuko

Ryuko's eyes snap towards the mysterious figure on the rooftop, but... after a moment of hesitation, she turned towards the group around Tora. A guy like that shouldn't be left running around, but she couldn't very well run off with Tora shot. Especially since she'd been manning her stand! At least his red suit would make picking him out in a crowd a breeze when the hunt started in earnest.

A few seconds later, she settled down next to Tora and started giving her a once-over. Clearly, the arrow was a problem, a big problem, but how was Tora doing?

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Gojun Ryuko
FP: 2 | Stress: ☐☐☐ | Consequences: None

Ryuko lets out a sigh as she sees how bad it is. It didn't look like it had hit anything to cause internal bleeding, but... well, Tora isn't doing well. It'd be far too long before emergency services could respond and, frankly, this is likely the work of an enemy stand. Stand-adjacent, at the least. That means she has to do something. Hayato is a mess and his stand is going nuts. Now, he is right in that taking out an arrow was normally a bad idea... but they'd just been talking about Sengoku-era wound treatment strategies in history class last week. Maybe nobody else had paid attention, but it's funny how these things come up.

Grabbing onto the shaft, she fiddles around with it a bit to figure out the precise location of the arrowhead. Further examination leads her to the conclusion that it hasn't nicked anything and, indeed, can probably be pulled out without too much trouble. She'll just need to make a quick incision to free up some space. Ryuko looks back, towards where 『36 Chambers』waits, and motions 『Ghostface Killah』forward. She says, "Alright, I need a small cut here and here." The stand moves quick as lightning and, before her nerves can fail her, Ryuko extricates the arrow.

quote:

SidekickBOT - Last Saturday at 2:32 PM
@Tricky: 4dF+3 Cleverly Overcome Tora's Arrow! = (b--b)+3 = 1

Going to invoke "We covered this in class last week, you know." for a +2 and make that a success!

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Gojun Ryuko

Ryuko nods, looking a bit solemn as she considers the Arrow hiding under her jacket and the person that shot it, then simply says, "Me too." She doesn't look confident at all at the prospect. "...Why would someone attack Tora like that? She's a good kid." Eyes narrowing, a palpable aura of menace beginning to emanate from the honor student, she unconsciously struck an utterly fantastic pose while『36 Chambers』arrays themselves around her. Her thoughts turn to the man in the red suit... He'd pay for hurting her. She'd make drat sure of it.

After a moment, she looks towards the arcade, her eyes catching the brief psychedelic aura around... a girl? Ryuko says, "Hey, Hiromu. Did you see that? I think there's someone over there. Someone with powers."

Gonna use my minor milestone to add a stunt to Ryuko, but I haven't quite thought of a good one yet.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Gojun Ryuko

Ryuko couldn't help but ponder the nature of the strange arrow she found herself in possession of. It couldn't be normal, not with how weird the town was, and especially not with how weird Tora's condition had been after being hit with it. That meant... well, she wasn't sure what that meant. And if there was anything that infuriated Ryuko more than anything, it was not knowing something. Still, despite it all, she figured that Hayato had to be the best angle for investigation. He knew something. And if he knew something... well, she was pretty sure she'd know something after a little applied diplomacy.

So, for that reason, she'd been canvassing the town to figure out where, exactly, he lived. Normally it would have been as simple as explaining to his homeroom teacher that he'd asked her for a little after-school tutoring with exams on the horizon, but she'd been forced to branch out and ask around town. After a somewhat productive conversation with some of the shopkeepers in the local Morioh market, she got some vague directions towards a house that she assumes must be his.

Her invisible bodyguards slightly more invisible than usual, she sternly makes her way towards the gate. It was time to get some answers.

Added a stunt to Ryuko, dropping her refresh to 2!

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Gojun Ryuko

The voice only takes a split-second to place. Izumi Sakuya, the karate club's so-called hidden weapon. Ryuko slowly turns, her own aura spilling out in pulsing waves as『36 Chambers』makes their presence known, and she tilts her head. Her eyes lock with Sakuya as she simply responds, "Izumi." The enigmatic figures of『36 Chambers』appear and form a protective phalanx around her. Weapons evident, but not raised towards the student. "Does that answer your question?"

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Gojun Ryuko

Ryuko slowly reaches into her coat and, after a slight hesistation, pulls out the arrow and holds it level with Sakuya. She says, "I'll tell you what I'm going to do. I'm going to find the red-headed bastard that shot Tora with this..." The figures of『36 Chambers』look at the Kira household as one. "...and beat the hell out of him. You got a problem with that, Izumi?"

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Gojun Ryuko

『RZA』shakes the hand of『Flashdance』while Ryuko thoughtfully responds to Sakuya, "I've been considering that. I think they reflect something about our personality, or some hidden aspect of our psyche." She indicates the mob surrounding them. "『36 Chambers』can be a bunch of places at once, take care of anything that comes up no matter how much is piled on my plate. That's kind of my problem. I have more things to do than hours in the day. Hayato is a mess, his stand—" She pauses, then clarifies. "I've been doing some research online. I think that we're not the first people to have these. A blog I follow calls them that. But yeah, Hayato's stand is a mess too. What does yours do?"

It's about that time that Mrs. Kira decides to crash the party. Quickly shoving the arrow back into her jacket, Ryuko says, "Sorry for bothering you, ma'am! Is this where Hayato lives? He seemed really shaken up by everything that happened at the culture festival and I wanted to make sure that he was doing alright."

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Gojun Ryuko

Ryuko smiles pleasantly, in full honor student mode, "That sounds great, Hayato, especially since our last conversation got interrupted by that mess at the culture festival. Let's go. Right, Izumi?"

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Gojun Ryuko

Ryuko gives Hayato a look, "Of course. Someone shot Tora with it at a school function. I'd ask you about it regardless." A moment, then she sighs. "...I wasn't lying to your mom, okay? You looked pretty out of it. Are you alright?"

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Gojun Ryuko

Ryuko is silent for a time, trying to make sense of it all. She'd had thee chance to look at it, of course, after she'd gotten home from the festival. The markings were distinctive, the construction certainly of note, but she hadn't made much of it at the time. She shakes her head, "Well, unless there's another arrow out there, I don't think he's going to be doing anything with it soon." A beat. "Actually, do you have a picture of your dad handy? Does he have a red suit? It'd be pretty hard to miss. What about his hair?"

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Gojun Ryuko

Ryuko looks over at Sakuya, "I... don't think I got shot? I don't remember anything like that happening, anyways. All I know is that I wake up one day and I have a posse." She shrugs, "I don't know if this is just an arrow thing or if it's a being-sufficiently-odd thing or..." She trails off. "Wait, wait a minute. You got yours from being shot? And Tora got shot at the culture festival by this..." On cue, she produces the arrow for Sakuya to look at. "You think she might wake up at the hospital with a Stand?"

Turning back to Hayato, she says, "Huh, okay, must have been a different guy. So..." She looks at him meaningfully. "How do you think your dad would react to all this? It seems like he's pretty dialed in to everything happening with these things. Should we try and track him down for a chat?"

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Gojun Ryuko

Ryuko shrugs at Hayato, "Sure... if we can clear your dad. Maybe he's not shooting people himself, but why would our mystery archer have it if they weren't working together?" She looks mildly horrified at Sakuya's suggestion. "I mean... but... it belongs in a museum, maybe! And what if someone just ends up with the arrowhead? Do you think that's what does it, or the whole thing put together?"

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Gojun Ryuko

Ryuko took Sakuya's advice, tucking the Arrow back into her uniform, though she seems far too at ease laughing at Hayato's mom's questions and generally playing the perfect student. It seems as though she's not above playing to her reputation when it'd be helpful. Though, as the visit continues, it becomes more and more likely that everyone's involved in whatever is going on. Even the cat has the quarter-sized patch of bare skin marking it as another stand user. When she notices that, Ryuko makes a big show over fawning over the immense cat and does her best to subtly clue in Sakuya on the developing situation.

Ryuko checks her phone, then says, "Wow, I guess time really does fly when you're having fun. I think we might need to get going, Sakuya-chan, I'd hate to be out too late. You had something you wanted to do after this, right...?"

quote:

SidekickBOT - Today at 3:47 PM
@Tricky: 4dF+3 Cleverly sort out the cat mystery! = (+b+-)+3 = 4

Difficulty 3, so that's a full success.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Gojun Ryuko

Ryuko looks at Hayato, all business, and say, "So who stabbed the cat with the arrow? Your dad? Your mom?" She takes a step forward and fixes him with a harsh stare. "Something's way wrong in that house and you're going to tell us what is going on."

The 'or else' was unspoken, but impossible to miss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Gojun Ryuko

Ryuko catches the hint from Sakura. She says, "Alright, let me know if anything comes up. I'm going to the hospital to check on Tora."

• Locked thread