Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, it only feels new and different because its a woman and that's never really been done before by WWE. But its been done a million times for men. So its really just the same thing you might not like about WWE but applied equally to the genders! #Feminism

I guess the one difference I could say is that Rousey has zero wrestling resume so if she's given a title shot that might be relatively unique. People like Rock and Lesnar have gotten those immediate title shots but they were also former World Champions with wrestling resumes. Folks like Mayweather and LT just competed in "exhibition" matches. I can't think of a case where someone was brought in without a wrestling background (and in fact, a former world champion) and immediately propelled to the top of a title division. Rousey might be unique in that regard.

But that's all kind of in the weeds of his fans. Its a short term shadow on the division but its unlikely to be meaningful long term or yield more negative consequences than whatever positives they get out of Rousey at WM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

When I went home for lunch today, Christian's theme was coming out of the apartment at the top of the stairs. It was a sign.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Shamrock was more or less pushed to the moon as soon as he debuted right

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Shamrock is so different than Ronda, it’s not even worth comparing

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

He should have been but they never really pushed him as hard as they should have given the hype he had coming in.

So WCW did it with Goldberg instead.

PrincessWuffles
Oct 19, 2004

MassRafTer posted:

If women are going to be treated equally then when giant stars are available from outside the company they need to be brought in and catered to, just like the men.

Astro7x posted:

I'm sure we see it as Rousey taking the "spot" of someone else on the roster, but the women see it as getting more exposure and getting their name out there. If it is true that WWE wants to put a bigger focus on the women's division as a whole because Rousey will be the companies biggest mainstream star, then that's good for all the women.

Because I'm sure the women would love for there to be actual feuds that are not for the title. When was the last memorable non-title women's feud?
I get what both of you are saying. MassRafTer, I agree it's not bad for a huge star from outside to come in and be treated like a star. You're right. Corollary to Astro7x's point, I can see how this is more than probably a good, big, move for the division and could put new eyes on the product. It's not that the whole thing doesn't make sense to me. Maybe it was just especially the timing of stepping on Asuka's victory thunder that set me off. I'm happy to see Rhonda and hope we get something good from her presence. I guess I hope more other talented fighters, women and men, are afforded similar courtesy in bypassing developmental, and maybe this is a step in that direction.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

mkay0 posted:

Shamrock is so different than Ronda, it’s not even worth comparing

Ronda is obviously a much bigger mainstream star but there was a bidding war for Shamrock in 97 and he was considered a huge get.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

He was pushed as scary and dangerous but my memory is worked his way in feuds with other upper midcarders and main eventers and then went on to win the King of the Ring tournament. He certainly wasn't pushed straight into a World Title match at WM. A quick look at cagematch (I hate the new format) seems to show it took 4 months or so of being a regular competitor before he got a non house show Title shot.

Its similar but Rousey still seems like the new standard bearer in terms of "lack of experience to propulsion of push"

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Ronda in WWE is hilarious because it's admitting she isn't bad enough to fight for real after getting clowned hard in her last two fights. Makes WWE look like a consolation prize (which it is).

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

?

WWE leadership may not have any minorities, but t least they have one guy from France

WrasslorMonkey fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jan 30, 2018

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

Faustian Bargain posted:

Ronda in WWE is hilarious because it's admitting she isn't bad enough to fight for real after getting clowned hard in her last two fights. Makes WWE look like a consolation prize (which it is).

If I had made enough money fighting other people in a cage to never fight another person in a cage again I would probably never fight another person in a cage either

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
205 Live GM should be one of the following:

Billy Kidman
Jamie Noble
Hurricane
Rockstar Spud

It will probably be:

Goldust

DM Punk fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jan 30, 2018

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Canyon Ceman is going to show up on 205 Live, and get roped into being the GM, when in reality he's trying to deliver all of the future endeavor papers to the crusierweights. (Because no one watches 205 Live)

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

It’ll be the BIG DOG probably for 205 GM.

Or maybe it could be Stephanie and Shane’s secret brother nobody knows about...

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

PrincessWuffles posted:

I get what both of you are saying. MassRafTer, I agree it's not bad for a huge star from outside to come in and be treated like a star. You're right. Corollary to Astro7x's point, I can see how this is more than probably a good, big, move for the division and could put new eyes on the product. It's not that the whole thing doesn't make sense to me. Maybe it was just especially the timing of stepping on Asuka's victory thunder that set me off. I'm happy to see Rhonda and hope we get something good from her presence. I guess I hope more other talented fighters, women and men, are afforded similar courtesy in bypassing developmental, and maybe this is a step in that direction.

This is confusing. You don’t like Ronda showing up at the head of the line, but you hope more people do it?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Faustian Bargain posted:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

This is confusing. You don’t like Ronda showing up at the head of the line, but you hope more people do it?

People getting to bypass developmental is an extremely good thing and I agree with him.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Astro7x posted:

I'm sure we see it as Rousey taking the "spot" of someone else on the roster, but the women see it as getting more exposure and getting their name out there. If it is true that WWE wants to put a bigger focus on the women's division as a whole because Rousey will be the companies biggest mainstream star, then that's good for all the women.

Because I'm sure the women would love for there to be actual feuds that are not for the title. When was the last memorable non-title women's feud?

Sasha Banks v. Alicia Fox in a Alicia Fox is Crazy Match

SUN GOD AVATAR posted:

It’ll be the BIG DOG probably for 205 GM.

Or maybe it could be Stephanie and Shane’s secret brother nobody knows about...

Nope. It will be "Little Dog" Trevor "Company Ro" Mann.

https://twitter.com/KingRicochet/status/957030669665882115

https://mobile.twitter.com/KingRicochet/status/958180554310082560

https://twitter.com/KingRicochet/status/957792131816591360

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jan 30, 2018

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Update on the Jeremy Borash stuff. PWInsider is reporting that he won't be a part of the Hardy storyline most likely. He'll have a role in NXT in some fashion. They don't exactly know what though. Like I posted in the NXT thread, he could be a ring announcer or backstage interviewer. He's expected to start at this week's NXT tapings.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

And? Brock easily beating the poo poo out of everyone in WWE makes the company look like garbage compared to the real sport. Extra funny if Ronda does the same to the women's division that Brock has done to the men's. The rest of the roster looks like garbage compared to these once legit fighters.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Faustian Bargain posted:

And? Brock easily beating the poo poo out of everyone in WWE makes the company look like garbage compared to the real sport. Extra funny if Ronda does the same to the women's division that Brock has done to the men's. The rest of the roster looks like garbage compared to these once legit fighters.

No it doesn't. Brock Lesnar being on TV for like ten weeks a year while holding the belt makes the sport look like garbage.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
The women's division doesn't really have anyone big enough for Ronda to debut with/against if a title isn't involved, especially if she isn't going to be touring regularly

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
"We shouldn't push anyone with legit tough guy creds because it would make sport look bad" is an extremely bold promotion strategy given the history of pro wrestling by the way.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Feels Villeneuve posted:

"We shouldn't push anyone with legit tough guy creds because it would make sport look bad" is an extremely bold promotion strategy given the history of pro wrestling by the way.
It would be different if she didn't get murdered in hilarious fashion in her last two fights. Now it's "once legit fighter could no longer cut it, drops down to kill all these fakers instead."

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Faustian Bargain posted:

It would be different if she didn't get murdered in hilarious fashion in her last two fights. Now it's "once legit fighter could no longer cut it, drops down to kill all these fakers instead."

Every boxing fan considered Tyson a washed up joke in 1998 and he drew enough in a single show as a guest ref to change the entire business.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Faustian Bargain posted:

Pretty much no one from a legitimate athletic background is doing wrestling at their peak so by your logic we better not bring in any of em!

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

MassRafTer posted:

People getting to bypass developmental is an extremely good thing and I agree with him.

Agreed, but only if they have been wrestling for less than a year

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
As we all know everyone thought it was good that Cena beat Lesnar at that XR match because otherwise it would make the top company's star look bad to lose to a washed up MMA fighter coming off getting his rear end beat.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Every boxing fan considered Tyson a washed up joke in 1998 and he drew enough in a single show as a guest ref to change the entire business.
Weird it's almost like was a guest ref and not a roster member :thinking:

MassRafTer posted:

Pretty much no one from a legitimate athletic background is doing wrestling at their peak so by your logic we better not bring in any of em!
I'm cool if they bring Ronda in and don't give her the Brock push.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Anyone who follows WWE does not give a poo poo about Ronda getting clowned in her last two MMA fights

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, practically I don't see how Rousey is any different as a "failed" or "washed up" MMA competitor coming to wrestling than Brock was or Ernie Ladd or Brian Pillman were as NFL players.

Its only funny to MMA fans who want to laugh.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Feels Villeneuve posted:

As we all know everyone thought it was good that Cena beat Lesnar at that XR match because otherwise it would make the top company's star look bad to lose to a washed up MMA fighter coming off getting his rear end beat.

Cena beating Brock at Extreme Rules was good because it adds so much to SummerSlam 14.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, practically I don't see how Rousey is any different as a "failed" or "washed up" MMA competitor coming to wrestling than Brock was or Ernie Ladd or Brian Pillman were as NFL players.

Or Goldberg lmao

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Faustian Bargain posted:

Weird it's almost like was a guest ref and not a roster member :thinking:

I'm cool if they bring Ronda in and don't give her the Brock push.

So you want her to beat John Cena in her first match?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

VJeff posted:

Cena beating Brock at Extreme Rules was good because it adds so much to SummerSlam 14.

As I recall the picture the Wrestling Observer website used for the Cena/Lesnar XR match was a pile of money being lit on fire.

I think people forget that Lesnar was more or less dead in the water until Mania XXX.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

I want her to lose via rollup to Alicia Fox on a PPV preshow match.

I just don't want to see Ronda as an untouchable leviathan ala Brock the last few years. It's boring. Might need wrestlers to get personalities for things to be different.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Or Goldberg lmao

Yeah. Or Baron Corbin. Or Moose. Or Mojo. Or Ron Simmons. Or Lex Luger. There might as well be a "Pro Wrestling As A Backup Plan" class at the NFL Scouting Combine.

Or... you know. The Rock, who got cut from the CFL before turning to wrestling.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Faustian Bargain posted:

I want her to lose via rollup to Alicia Fox on a PPV preshow match.

I just don't want to see Ronda as an untouchable leviathan ala Brock the last few years. It's boring. Might need wrestlers to get personalities for things to be different.

If you like wasting potential star power and flushing money down the toilet, you must love the booking in the rest of the company.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Do people actually like Brock's booking? People want the same thing but now in women's division form?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah. Or Baron Corbin. Or Moose. Or Mojo. Or Ron Simmons. Or Lex Luger. There might as well be a "Pro Wrestling As A Backup Plan" class at the NFL Scouting Combine.

Or... you know. The Rock, who got cut from the CFL before turning to wrestling.
Yeah, but the difference between football and MMA is that one is a combat sport closely related to the choreography of wrestling, so I can see why someone would see a former MMA star joining WWE as basically that person saying "I can't cut it in a real fight anymore"

Faustian Bargain posted:

Do people actually like Brock's booking? People want the same thing but now in women's division form?
No one ever said that

• Locked thread