Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Rhonda should get the Eva Marie gimmick where every time she is about to fight she figures out an excuse on how to get out of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

piss tape israel posted:

Yeah, but the difference between football and MMA is that one is a combat sport closely related to the choreography of wrestling, so I can see why someone would see a former MMA star joining WWE as basically that person saying "I can't cut it in a real fight anymore"

Sure, but it still just feels like silly tribal sports stuff. It only seems like it should matter if you care about "MMA vs wrestling."

We're wrestling fans. We know this poo poo is fake so there's nothing embarrassing about not being one of the greatest fighters in the world (which still probably means you could kick the rear end out of every person on the WWE roster).

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

D.N. Nation posted:

Other than the obvious ones people pointed out (the first Rumble, Flair, Yokozuna), we're forgetting VINCENT KENNEDY MCMAHON

Oh Russo. That booking.

Despite the many problems in that match, I still really like that ending. Austin destroying McMahon was never a question, but he ultimately lost because he couldn't leave well enough alone. He couldn't keep his bloodlust in check and once Rock showed up to rile him up even further, Vince showed that he was resilient enough to pick his spot when there was an opening. Plus Austin was going to challenge at WrestleMania regardless and having him win the Rumble three years in a row would have been a bad look.

As for first-time Rumble winners:

- Hacksaw
- Big John Studd
- Ric Flair
- Lex Luger
- Vince McMahon
- Big Show, sorta
- Brock Lesnar
- Chris Benoit
- Del Rio
- Nakamura

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I hope Ronda Rousey's booking is good and not bad.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

STAC Goat posted:

Sure, but it still just feels like silly tribal sports stuff. It only seems like it should matter if you care about "MMA vs wrestling."

We're wrestling fans. We know this poo poo is fake so there's nothing embarrassing about not being one of the greatest fighters in the world (which still probably means you could kick the rear end out of every person on the WWE roster).
100% agreed

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire

Feels Villeneuve posted:

No it doesn't. Brock Lesnar being on TV for like ten weeks a year while holding the belt makes the sport look like garbage.

It really doesn’t

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
I think the Rousey signing is a great idea personally. When has the womens division ever had this much hype surrounding an incoming talent? Its a great coup for the division.

Lesnar lost fights. Shamrock lost fights. The good thing about wrestling is that its scripted so mot hard to make someone look like a million bucks if they really want to. I think she'll be great as long as shes not total crap in the ring. Lets hope shes ok!

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I love this version of Ricochet more than anything

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I thought all I wanted was like Prince Puma 2.0 just lifting weights and staring off into the distance as Konnan did his promos for him but Extremely WWE Lover is much cooler.

PrincessWuffles
Oct 19, 2004

I want to clarify what I said before and maybe walk it back a little. I'm cool with Rhonda being a wrestler. I'm not cool with her going over the whole division like nothing, right out of the gate. She's a fighter and a badass, but this isn't her ring. I'm someone who resents the same thing about Brock. Still, what we've seen booked for Rousey so far has been sign-pointing and jacket wearing. Let's see what's really standing between her and that Mania spot before rushing to too many conclusions.

As for bypassing developmental, if someone physically and mentally understands the mechanics of a fight, and could consistently make it look good while protecting themselves and their opponents, I don't think they need a trip to Florida for more than promo classes and some psychology if they're lacking there. It's going to be subjective, and wrestling isn't and shouldn't be treated as equivalent to MMA in terms of art and craft. Being good at one doesn't mean you're guaranteed to be any good at the other. I'd like to see a more open path for people who have already done the wrestling thing long enough to prove themselves, but not a wide open door for just anyone who can throw a solid strike or put on an armbar.

Those are the broad strokes and just my point of view. Do those things earn someone a marquee match at the biggest show of the year? It depends on the wrestler, and, let's not forget, it depends on what they do in the months between now and the show.

Phoneposting and my mind wandered, so enjoy this novella on my dumb fan opinions.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I'd rather have Ronda booked in a manner that's too protective of her rather than have her going 50/50 with Alexa or Carmella or whoever*

*Provided that she is on TV way more than Brock is

Also, all the women should be consolidated onto one show and WWE should have women's tag belts.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
I'm willing to give Rousey the benefit of the doubt, with any luck she might actually be okay at this poo poo, but if she's bad I call being the one who nicknames her Lousey Rousey.

WrasslorMonkey posted:

?

WWE leadership may not have any minorities, but t least they have one guy from France

I guess we know who Sasha's dad really is now!

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Faustian Bargain posted:

Do people actually like Brock's booking? People want the same thing but now in women's division form?

It already exists. Asuka was pushed to the moon in NXT and they decided to translate it to the main roster, so now Asuka is being pushed to the moon on Raw.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Brock finally went into business for himself

http://www.totalprosports.com/2018/...-to-head-video/

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
why’s nobody talking about SmackDown doing the old ROH or Evolve gimmick of worked contenders rankings

https://twitter.com/WWEDanielBryan/status/958402452126142465

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

yeah it kicked rear end

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

An Olympic medalist in fighting shouldn't be portrayed as a good fighter.

Not like the graphic designer and video game blogger.

Also let's be clear: Brock's booking is for Roman. Roman is the one making GBS threads up the Universal title picture.

PrincessWuffles
Oct 19, 2004

Rousey coming in as a fan should help, I'd hope. She sure looked excited to be there. I guess she's kind of a nerd too, so if she gets really into character stuff instead of just being a cold stare, we might get something good apart from the obvious business and raising the profile of the product reasons.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
did brock gently caress up braun at last year's rumble? it'd be hilarious if that was a new rumble gimmick "braun gets a taste of mma brock"

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Raskolnikov38 posted:

did brock gently caress up braun at last year's rumble? it'd be hilarious if that was a new rumble gimmick "braun gets a taste of mma brock"

Brock actually hosed up a knee himself in one of their last fights and stiffed Braun, yeah. I don't remember if it was the rumble though.

Braun's fine, Brock has no power.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jan 30, 2018

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

I think he's asking about the time Braun didn't sell a Brock strike correctly and Brock just loving threw his whole weight at him with a lariat to make him go down in I think last year's Rumble?

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

DarkstarIV posted:

Update on the Jeremy Borash stuff. PWInsider is reporting that he won't be a part of the Hardy storyline most likely. He'll have a role in NXT in some fashion. They don't exactly know what though. Like I posted in the NXT thread, he could be a ring announcer or backstage interviewer. He's expected to start at this week's NXT tapings.

Triple H has approached other "fixer" type people in the Wrestling industry recently.

My assumption is that he is full on building his "Patterson and Briscoe" type team now.

PrincessWuffles
Oct 19, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

An Olympic medalist in fighting shouldn't be portrayed as a good fighter.

Not like the graphic designer and video game blogger.

Also let's be clear: Brock's booking is for Roman. Roman is the one making GBS threads up the Universal title picture.
Obviously she should be portrayed as a good fighter because she undeniably is, but throwing curveballs that point up differences between MMA and pro wrestling would be cool too. She's watched this stuff before, but has she trained for handling a top rope missile dropkick or other crazy poo poo that never goes down in the octagon? It's grapples and strikes, and she's good at that, or at grapples anyway from what I hear, but pro wrestling is a whole different beast thematically and mechanically.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Comparing Ronda to Brock Lesnar is one of the more stupid things that i have read on this forum

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

DoctorGonzo posted:

Comparing Ronda to Brock Lesnar is one of the more stupid things that i have read on this forum

Yeah, Ronda was a bigger deal

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Shima Honnou posted:

I'm willing to give Rousey the benefit of the doubt, with any luck she might actually be okay at this poo poo, but if she's bad I call being the one who nicknames her Lousey Rousey.

I guess we know who Sasha's dad really is now!

I thought that photo was photoshopped to make his forehead super huge but nope he really does have a head that big.

drat!

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

The Cameo posted:

I think he's asking about the time Braun didn't sell a Brock strike correctly and Brock just loving threw his whole weight at him with a lariat to make him go down in I think last year's Rumble?

that was rumble 2016. looking it up it seems braun was eliminated before brock entered last year

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

rovert posted:

Triple H has approached other "fixer" type people in the Wrestling industry recently.

My assumption is that he is full on building his "Patterson and Briscoe" type team now.

What does this hiring mean for the new LAW?

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I bet Ronda remains a free agent until WM, and maybe beyond (unless they do another Superstar Shakeup)

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I now want Ronda to beat everyone in the division in a handicap match just because of all of the Ronda whining

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ronda's off until the movie finishes filming for now, which is end of Februaryish.

Then she's likely at the PC every day until Wrestlemania.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
I suggest not taking my word for it and listening to it yourself. But Madusa on her podcast floats the possibility that Lita didn't get permission to have the #TimesUp on her gear. Lita apparently had a shirt over it most of the day. Intimated people were angry backstage.

https://twitter.com/Madusa_rocks/status/958162887079579648

In terms of her own thoughts, I don't know what people reasonably expect from a 50-year-old woman and wrestler who is married to a military man. Anyway, Madusa thought the Rumble wasn't the platform for it & (wrestler to wrestler) was mad that Lita would do it on "Vince's TV" seemingly without permission.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The Cameo posted:

It was back when Braun was in the Wyatt Family and the gimmick was that he never left his feet. I firmly believe that Braun was told that no matter what he couldn't leave his feet during the Rumble, and then they sent in Brock who either wasn't told or didn't care, so when he hit Braun who stayed on his feet, you see his eyes light up like,"Oh we'll see about THAT, big man :getin:"

It ruled.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Ronda signing full time makes me willing to give her the benefit of the doubt and wait to see if she sinks or swims on her own merits.

Her Sandy Hook trutherism makes me willing to enjoy her failure if she bombs. Fun either way!

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Ricochet Man seems like a cool dude who enjoys wrestling, not unlike myself.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Lita obviously didn't have permission to do that and you'd have to be retarded to assume she did.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

I'm going to guess that Ronda will be good in the ring fairly quickly because she has an insane work ethic and high-level grapplers have a pretty solid track record for being naturals at wrestling. The major questions for me center around her ability to cut a promo and WWE's generally bad writing and booking.

Also whether she can keep from saying something incredibly lovely in an interview and tanking the whole deal.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

a new study bible! posted:

Lita obviously didn't have permission to do that and you'd have to be retarded to assume she did.

"Hey Vince, I heard people are digging up old sexual assault allegations about you. Cool if I wear #timesup on my gear?"

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Cookie Monster Punk once said something along the same lines. "If you like me, I might into that cage and win, yay. If you don't, I'm going to go into that cage and get beaten stupid. Yay."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

a new study bible! posted:

Or a road agent/producer pretended not to see it.

• Locked thread