Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

this is the dawning of the age of itanium!

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
who the hell is gonna bother writing exploits for itanium?

safest platform, i tell you!

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Pff, no SSH? What about when hackers turn my TI-83 into a bomb!?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i once installed ssh on a mips r2000. 12 mhz of blazing risc power. it took about 15 minutes to do a key exchange. and this was with 1024 bit dsa back when that was an acceptable security posture

i think i probably have the record for slowest, shittiest device with ssh on it.

i actually do want someone to one-up me it would be rad

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

from the little i know about the architecture of itanium i bet there's some fun undiscovered shenanigans you could do with it if anyone actually cared

e: what the hell they released another itanium processor in 2017? why

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
the “new” for 2017 Itanium is on a 32 nm process, with the same speeds and feeds as the 2012 chips

I really don’t know what’s new about it. I think intel was contractually obligated to offer “new” Itaniums.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the “new” for 2017 Itanium is on a 32 nm process, with the same speeds and feeds as the 2012 chips

I really don’t know what’s new about it. I think intel was contractually obligated to offer “new” Itaniums.

wikipedia basically says it's exactly the same architecture but clocked a little faster, so yeah i guess they just had some contractual obligation to release it and this is their equivalent of Metal Machine Music lol

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ate all the Oreos posted:

from the little i know about the architecture of itanium i bet there's some fun undiscovered shenanigans you could do with it if anyone actually cared

e: what the hell they released another itanium processor in 2017? why

the same reason a "new" powerpc g5 chip was released in 2013 - in that case it was further reworking the 360 cpu to a yet lower power configuration on the same process as the 2011 model had been

some stuff needs to still have the chip design, so you go ahead and make it on your newer processes in order to be able to retire existing stuff.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
as I just mentioned, the “new” Itanium is on the same process, same clock rates, and same power envelope as it’s predecessor

it doesn’t look “new” at all

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

as called out above intel was under contract with hp to keep making the itanium until 2017, and presumably the contract spelled up some minimum for updating the thing, which intel minimally fulfilled with kittson

overall irrelevant enough business wrangling to not be terribly interesting

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

ate all the Oreos posted:

yeah, i would expect that itanium has a lot of exploitable speculation mechanisms

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Who is going to bother writing anything for Windows 2000 Server? Isn't that the only OS that supported Itanium?

EDIT: Jesus, they were shipping CPUs in 2017 still. And 2k8 supported it?! Final of the series, and its only sold by HP, but :psyduck:

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Jan 31, 2018

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
lmao
https://twitter.com/stilgherrian/status/958510435497422848

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

A magnificent sec gently caress

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

this is some burn after reading poo poo lmao

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

strange usually someone gets a repairman to force unknown cabinets open around here

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

strange usually someone gets a repairman to force unknown cabinets open around here

But that costs money.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
also you could get told off for ruining a perfectly good filing cabinet

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

just lol if it takes you more than five minutes to breach and fix a four-drawer cabinet

think less "hack the gibson" and more "that hack gibson"

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
most cabinets have that lovely lock that you can spin with your thumb

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

we have a cabinet with no lock because one of the managers dropped her keys down the toilet.
popping the old lock was free, but fitting a new one would have to come out someone's budget oh no

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
are y’all talking about normal file cabinets from the store or gsa-style 500lb secure cabinets?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Cocoa Crispies posted:

are y’all talking about normal file cabinets from the store or gsa-style 500lb secure cabinets?

Does it matter? Once you get them home, I doubt the Man Hour rating counts as much when you have all the time in the world to break into it.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

also you could get told off for ruining a perfectly good filing cabinet

i bet you can make quite the GOVERNMENT WASTAGE FOX NEWS SPECIAL REPORT out of THE GOVERNMENT IS DESTROYING PERFECTLY GOOD FILING CABINETS THAT YOUR TAX DOLLARS PAID FOR yeah

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

Does it matter? Once you get them home, I doubt the Man Hour rating counts as much when you have all the time in the world to break into it.

The Man Hour Rating is also my new gay fuckboi ranking podcast

brought to you by legal zoom which is not a lawfirm

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

these things were an insanely good deal when hp discontinued the workstation lines and had a fire sale on them

it was like 2004, so this was the only way to get a 16 gb desktop without spending an arm and a leg. and, back then, itanium chips were actually performance-competitive with x86 or sparc or whatever

they ran linux. or hp-ux, if you were a masochist.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

also the itanium was a cool chip, i would have loved to have had one

i actually wonder whether they have any spectre issues, the point of them were after all to be very explicit with the compiler doing a lot of the work (more work than a compiler could be built to do, as it turned out). notably i believe loads (on the isa level) on itanium could be tagged as speculative, and all registers had an additional bit which was to be set if such a speculative load into that register would have raised an exception, which you then got to handle as you pleased in software. likely spectre on itanium would be more explicitly a compiler issue if it could be triggered at all

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

CommieGIR posted:

for the australia case it doesn't matter lol, and honestly if i was a sovereign state i'd definitely be on the look out for government auctions

for the bozos it# bragging about breaching a cabinet in five minutes or turning locks with their thumb it matters

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i actually wonder whether they have any spectre issues, the point of them were after all to be very explicit with the compiler doing a lot of the work (more work than a compiler could be built to do, as it turned out). notably i believe loads (on the isa level) on itanium could be tagged as speculative, and all registers had an additional bit which was to be set if such a speculative load into that register would have raised an exception, which you then got to handle as you pleased in software. likely spectre on itanium would be more explicitly a compiler issue if it could be triggered at all

It was a cool chip, but it was largely a gamble that failed.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

god no i don't do that poo poo, the guys whose job it is to fix lockouts do oit and you can expect anyone who intends to steal from a cabinet in an office to either be those guys, or be at least as good

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

they're cheap on ebay. search for an zx6000 or rx2600. (be warned: you don't want to operate an rx2600 inside an inhabited space, they are relatively loud)

that said, red hat has abandoned itanium, so your OS choices are either hp-ux or debian

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

CommieGIR posted:

It was a cool chip, but it was largely a gamble that failed.

itanium was at least a partial success for intel, and it was a smashing success for hp

intel really did a number on their industrial competitors. dec alpha and sgi mips gave up entirely just from the FUD. ibm, fujitsu, and sun (all chip manufacturers!) worked on itanium products. unfortunately for intel the actually-delivered itanium chips were not good enough to keep ibm, fujitsu, and sun inside the tent. (but they still knocked out two competitors without delivering anything)

hp faced a considerable problem in the 1990s. pa-risc was highly competitive, but also expensive as hell to develop -- billions of dollars in R&D on the horizon. they badly wanted to exit the chip business, without losing their claims on enterprise features and high performance. intel to the rescue. intel basically invested billions into HP's next-gen PA-RISC chip, and took the whole division off their hands

yeah, hp would probably have rathered itanium development proceeded further, but only as long as they could get it for free. itanium is dead today because hp was unwilling to put any more money into the deal

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jan 31, 2018

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

lol does Debian ever drop support for anything?

excuse me, “support” because mainly their support seems to consist of loving up other people’s programs

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

hobbesmaster posted:

lol does Debian ever drop support for anything?

excuse me, “support” because mainly their support seems to consist of loving up other people’s programs

debian has tier 1 and tier 2 ports. critical bugs in the tier 2 ports won't block a release. it appears ia64 has already been downgraded to tier 2, so i assume it is broken as gently caress now. and god knows when/if it gets security updates

so in reality, your only realistic choices for running an OS on your ebay itanium are RHEL 5, or HP-UX.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
fun how HP's last workstation with an itanium in it looks almost exactly like HP's last workstation with a PA-RISC in it, the C8000 introduced in 2004

computers were cooler when there was more than one competitive architecture

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
HPs workstations are still decent, last one I used was a Z800, now I have a Dell T5500, I stopped frequenting HP after they locked their firmware updates behind a paywall if you were out of warrenty

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

atomicthumbs posted:

fun how HP's last workstation with an itanium in it looks almost exactly like HP's last workstation with a PA-RISC in it, the C8000 introduced in 2004

the c8000 came out after the zx2000 / zx6000, so it's hardly surprising that they have similar case designs.

atomicthumbs posted:

POWER is still performance competitive, they just can't hit the pricing on x86. SPARC is at least within spitting distance on performance.

that's been the status quo for about 30 years now

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jan 31, 2018

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

atomicthumbs posted:

i simultaneously agree wholeheartedly with this and also feel it important to point out that the pc won out for great reasons: (some) standards, competition, and availability. the k8 being a legit entry into the core of that high-end space was only a small additional step on the way

to some extent the phone soc business makes one wish intel had done better in the space, because it is now again inconsistent nda'd voodoo to figure out how to even boot/init some of the most popular "computer platforms" of today

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

i simultaneously agree wholeheartedly with this and also feel it important to point out that the pc won out for great reasons: (some) standards, competition, and availability. the k8 being a legit entry into the core of that high-end space was only a small additional step on the way

to some extent the phone soc business makes one wish intel had done better in the space, because it is now again inconsistent nda'd voodoo to figure out how to even boot/init some of the most popular "computer platforms" of today

as far as i understand it, good loving luck booting up a modern intel chipset/cpu without proprietary binary blobs of firmware you get from intel, so im not sure that is the best comaprison to make

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Lysidas posted:

as far as i understand it, good loving luck booting up a modern intel chipset/cpu without proprietary binary blobs of firmware you get from intel, so im not sure that is the best comaprison to make

as far as i understand it, though, is that even with blobs you better know how your particular arm soc has decided to weirdly missmap and lay things out to boot it, even if you have the blobs

you'd be in trouble with a lot of particulars getting a pc running too, but there is a running attempt to define how one slaps things together to make one

very off topic either way, and pointless to posit alternative realities in general~

• Locked thread