Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

elon musk built* a submarine

*told someone else to build

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
How many people do you think he made give up their weekend and work nonstop on it in addition to the nonstop work he already had them doing?

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

mrmcd posted:

https://arstechnica.com/science/2018/07/elon-musk-built-a-submarine-to-rescue-thailand-kids-heres-what-it-looks-like/?amp=1

First pics and vids of ole Muskie's child death tubes. Just climb inside this metal kinda floating coffin kiddo. Nevermind the part about there being a section of the cave where it's narrow enough divers have to remove their oxygen tanks. It's on a plane to Thailand tomorrow!!!

https://twitter.com/ashleyfeinberg/status/1016063131582435328

lomarf at the comments in the picture

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

TerminalRaptor posted:

How many people do you think he made give up their weekend and work nonstop on it in addition to the nonstop work he already had them doing?

none, i guaranfuckingtee you every one of them climbed over each other to give it willingly. thats the hosed up part

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Lol they are literally just building middle school "awesome radical ninja rescue squad" sketches someone drew during detention.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Meanwhile, the Thai navy divers have pulled four of the kids out already using the advanced technologies known as "a face mask" and "swimming"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

none, i guaranfuckingtee you every one of them climbed over each other to give it willingly. thats the hosed up part

tbf if i genuinely believed what i was doing could save 12 children i'd work weekends too

of course musk's employees often do the same for much more nebulous and exploitative reasons but this one at least seems like a good use of time subjectively even if the whole idea is stupid

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

king muskie's touch ruins every well intentioned idea he pet projects

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Bulgakov posted:

king muskie's touch ruins every well intentioned idea he pet projects

grimes' boyfriend? i hate that guy

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ate all the Oreos posted:

tbf if i genuinely believed what i was doing could save 12 children i'd work weekends too

of course musk's employees often do the same for much more nebulous and exploitative reasons but this one at least seems like a good use of time subjectively even if the whole idea is stupid

Yeah honestly I don't know why I'm making fun of ol' musky for this one. He's trying to help save a bunch of kids' lives, that's always a good thing as long your efforts aren't so misdirected or incompetent that they're foiling other attempts (they aren't)

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah honestly I don't know why I'm making fun of ol' musky for this one. He's trying to help save a bunch of kids' lives, that's always a good thing as long your efforts aren't so misdirected or incompetent that they're foiling other attempts (they aren't)

when you are faced with a consistently bad actor it's easy to assume that what they're doing is invariably terrible, and that if it doesn't appear to be bad it's only because there's something you're not aware of yet

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

https://twitter.com/DevvyBoyyy/status/1016063577424318464

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
https://twitter.com/dweinman22/status/1016063735612375040

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

maxing out the cynicism gauge

a rich guy deeply concerned with his image notices that some children have become newsworthy for their dire situation. normally he does poo poo all for children but this time there's an opportunity for a PR win so he announces on twitter to the public and the media that he's going to help save them, as advised by his image consultant

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Spatial posted:

maxing out the cynicism gauge

a rich guy deeply concerned with his image notices that some children have become newsworthy for their dire situation. normally he does poo poo all for children but this time there's an opportunity for a PR win so he announces on twitter to the public and the media that he's going to help save them, as advised by his image consultant

this is unfortunately 100% correct

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

yeah if he didn’t tweet every step of his “plan” i might believe his intentions were pure but it was obviously for pr

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

he could have them assemble model 3 head units or something. just toss a few parts bins in there.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/jrhennessy/status/1016081187733815296

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Spatial posted:

elon musk built* a submarine

*told someone else to build

one of our must famous goons built a submarine and killed a woman in it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

syscall girl posted:

one of our must famous goons built a submarine and killed a woman in it

well, not quite. he helped a guy build a submarine to murder a woman in

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
Ol' Musky:
Although we can't see the boy, we can freeze him with this hydrogen, for future generations when they rescue him.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

infernal machines posted:

I thought he worked on the rocket that launched from a pad the submarine towed

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

whatever. he hasn't been caught for his crimes yet in any case

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
it's bad because it's a waste of time designes just to stroke musk's ego and distract from bad pr

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
they love muskys suggestions because they’re the exact same ideas made by a person with no background or experience but assumed to work that they would make

hi I’m a web programmer, let me tell you about space travel

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Improbable Lobster posted:

it's bad because it's a waste of time designes just to stroke musk's ego and distract from bad pr

oh yeah the idea is bad, musk is bad, i'm just saying it's not the worst way to spend your weekend :shrug:

Kyron
Aug 6, 2013

Everyone is stroking their ego over those trapped kids, even Trump is getting in on it

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
so glad my personal thoughts and prayers are having results

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Jabor posted:

so glad my personal thoughts and prayers are having results

thank you for your service

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
ship it!

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard
he weighted that thing so it'd have neutral buoyancy, right? otherwise it'd float super forcefully. you'd need to adjust the weight for each kid. what's the rated full/empty weight?

nvm just saw the vid

Uncle Enzo fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jul 9, 2018

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

Uncle Enzo posted:

he weighted that thing so it'd have neutral buoyancy, right? otherwise it'd float super forcefully. you'd need to adjust the weight for each kid. what's the rated full/empty weight?

nvm just saw the vid

just strap a couple weight belts on it nbd

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I'm sure that you could easily get a rigid metal cylinder large enough to contain a 12 year old child around an underwater corner where highly trained combat divers have to take off their equipment to force their bodies through

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

infernal machines posted:

okay fine

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Sagebrush posted:

I'm sure that you could easily get a rigid metal cylinder large enough to contain a 12 year old child around an underwater corner where highly trained combat divers have to take off their equipment to force their bodies through

eling needs to shut up and let the adults handle it before someone actually listens to him and kids die

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

thai government: we are working around the clock and using every resource available to us to free these boys from the cave
elon musk: but have you tried... asking a rich person?

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

https://imgur.com/Y5B0bdo

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
e: oops, wrong thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
"works or not, he acted. he put something together when nobody else did"

well you know, except those people who have already gotten several kids out of the cave