Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

shaggar has another trigger besides bicycles and java

neat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
i've staffed public input meetings/charrettes before where a developer has planted employees strategically around the room to try and steer the general opinion of the attendees. it's what the savvy ones do.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

CRISIS ACTORS

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Shaggar posted:

the doctor sure as poo poo isn't going to do anything, so you have analytics that chew through the data in the EMR and tell the idiot doc what to do.

what

how do the records know that the patient hasn't been controlling their blood sugar well

why wouldn't their doctor be able to quickly identify poorly-managed beetus

H.P. Hovercraft fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Aug 29, 2018

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

syntaxrigger posted:

shaggar has another trigger besides bicycles and java

neat

cilantro?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
diabetic neuropathy has now been added after the entry for cilantro in shaggtrigg.xlsx

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

why wouldn't their doctor be able to quickly identify poorly-managed beetus

have u ever dealt with old stubborn rear end doctors lol

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

fishmech posted:

have u ever dealt with old stubborn rear end doctors lol

yeah but "my feet are covered in hideously infected cuts and i'm going blind" is really hard to miss even for the intake staff

tho granted stubborn rear end old patients are apparently frequently in denial about that stuff too

"ok old fruitloop breath i'm takin away your driver's license" is not something i'd wanna hear either

mystes
May 31, 2006

quote:

and this guy stands up in the back and yells “ARE THE INTERNS GONNA FILL OUT THE MAIL-IN CARDS TOO, ONLY A HANDFUL OF US AREN’T BEING PAID TO BE HERE”
Lol.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Shaggar posted:

some other legit uses of machine learning would be examining data to find common causes of both negative and positive outcomes and then using that as a basis for process changes.

actually youll find that its really just putting everything in a black box neural net and having it spit out dangerous treatment suggestions

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

quote:

In 2012, doctors at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center partnered with IBM to train Watson to diagnose and treat patients. But according to IBM documents dated from last summer, the supercomputer has freq[quote[uently given bad advice, like when it suggested a cancer patient with severe bleeding be given a drug that could cause the bleeding to worsen. (A spokesperson for Memorial Sloan Kettering said this suggestion was hypothetical and not inflicted on a real patient.)

“This product is a piece of s—,” one doctor at Jupiter Hospital in Florida told IBM executives, according to the documents. “We bought it for marketing and with hopes that you would achieve the vision. We can’t use it for most cases.”

The documents come from a presentation given by Andrew Norden, IBM Watson’s former deputy health chief, right before he left the company. In addition to showcasing customer dissatisfaction, they reveal problems with methods, too. Watson for Oncology was supposed to synthesize enormous amounts of data and come up with novel insights. But it turns out most of the data fed to it is hypothetical and not real patient data. That means the suggestions Watson made were simply based off the treatment preferences of the few doctors providing the data, not actual insights it gained from analyzing real cases.

According to IBM spokesperson Edward Barbani, Watson for Oncology started off by using real patient data. But this made it difficult to do updates each time the guidelines changed, so the scientists switched to using hypothetical cases. “Synthetic cases allow you to treat and train Watson on a variety of patient variables and conditions that might not be present in random patient samples, but are important to treatment recommendations,” he said.

beep boop administer 200cc of blood thinner to a patient suffering internal bleeding

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

yeah but "my feet are covered in hideously infected cuts and i'm going blind" is really hard to miss even for the intake staff

tho granted stubborn rear end old patients are apparently frequently in denial about that stuff too

"ok old fruitloop breath i'm takin away your driver's license" is not something i'd wanna hear either

might be a bit extreme but my mom's pcp didn't notice her height decreasing with each visit. like, the entry on the chart was going down.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

FMguru posted:

beep boop administer 200cc of blood thinner to a patient suffering internal bleeding

... kill all humans?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

hobbesmaster posted:

might be a bit extreme but my mom's pcp didn't notice her height decreasing with each visit. like, the entry on the chart was going down.

how much are we talking? i mean its fairly normal to lose a couple inches or more as you get older

my grandma probably lost at least 6 from she turned 60 til she died at 88

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

yeah and now think about how much more likely you are to have those sort of attitudes are in maine, and how much more common those people are there, and you see where shaggar's coming from on dumbass docs just not doing things right unless you actively force them

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Krankenstyle posted:

how much are we talking? i mean its fairly normal to lose a couple inches or more as you get older

my grandma probably lost at least 6 from she turned 60 til she died at 88

correct. and when that happens to an older woman you're supposed to take certain actions

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
like obviously the physician needs to be in the loop but physicians are insanely overworked and also human and i'm in favor of tools that make it easier for them to give high quality care.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
but gently caress working in the medical industry. did it for the last 2 years and never again.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

like obviously the physician needs to be in the loop but physicians are insanely overworked and also human and i'm in favor of tools that make it easier for them to give high quality care.

uuuhhh you're supposed to get a terrible disease, rack up tons of debt, and die. i don't know what this quality care thing is

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

but gently caress working in the medical industry. did it for the last 2 years and never again.

wow. disorderlies took two years to make???

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

hobbesmaster posted:

correct. and when that happens to an older woman you're supposed to take certain actions

??? i have never heard of this

e: apparently it has to do with osteoporosis which she was indeed diagnosed with at age 86. that didnt kill her though, she decided to stop eating cause she felt she was ready to go

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

FMguru posted:

i am happy to hear that ML at IBM is as much of a garbage fire as i assumed it was

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Krankenstyle posted:

??? i have never heard of this

e: apparently it has to do with osteoporosis which she was indeed diagnosed with at age 86. that didnt kill her though, she decided to stop eating cause she felt she was ready to go

that's a pretty hardcore way to off yourself tbh, your grandma sounds cool

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

coffeetable posted:

i am happy to hear that ML at IBM is as much of a garbage fire as i assumed it was
*sees a machine answer a jeopardy question correctly*
yep, this thing is just about ready to replace all doctors, no question about it

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

FMguru posted:

*sees a machine answer a jeopardy question correctly*
yep, this thing is just about ready to replace all doctors, no question about it

remember that time it thought toronto was a US city?

that, but ebola

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

ate all the Oreos posted:

that's a pretty hardcore way to off yourself tbh, your grandma sounds cool

yea she was cool :unsmith:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

cjs: there is a whiteboard in a conference room here with the phrase "icp quality sucks" and i lol a lil every time i see it

(icp is the initials for one of our products)

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

carry on then posted:

cjs: there is a whiteboard in a conference room here with the phrase "icp quality sucks" and i lol a lil every time i see it

(icp is the initials for one of our products)

so you sell urinal spy cameras?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

that, but ebola

isn't there a toronto in ohio or something?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
if toronto isn't a us city why is it labeled that way in so many tv shows and movies? check mate, canada

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

that, but ebola

ebola city, quebec

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

FMguru posted:

could totally see this being the conclusion the neural net comes up with due to people who survived bleeding incidents often being administered anticoagulants earlier in the day.

I mean the anticoagulants were what caused the bleeding problem in the first place but the neural net just sees the correlation and has no capability to understand the actual causal relationship.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1034907478566359041?s=19

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

oh my god this is amazing

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

that, but ebola

there's a Toronto Ohio and a Toronto Kansas

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

oh hell yes bring back the fairness doctrine

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
what a loving dumbass

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

:qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

Cocoa Crispies posted:

machine learning fetishists, diagnose this!

*shits on a rack of GPUs*

Ah the S3 virge technique