Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
i just learned that light rail is illegal in Indiana lmfao midwest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Suspicious Dish posted:

who buys things from ebay

boomers

also cue in extreme ham or parts for old 1958 charger or retro-turntable parts or old legos or something else enthusiast

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
does ebay still take like 35% cut of the sale? because lol

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

rjmccall posted:

none of that means that self-driving cars would, like, actually be really bad and nobody would ever want them
I could be wrong, I dont think anyone here thinks theyre bad and no one wants them. what goons/ppl think are bad is they aren't even being close to being ready, which is insanely reckless, dangerous, and leads to bad public policy (i.e. San Mateo rejecting rapid-bus-transit lines along El Camino Real because, "self-driving cars will fix it and they're right around the corner", which 100% serious) because they're being pushed as if they are.

also we will probably be dead/retired (lol no one is retiring) by the time they're in a state that they're "good". and even then there's still issue with underlying car-transportation but thats a different issue

e: dumb typo before being sagebrushed

Xaris fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Feb 1, 2018

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
plug my rear end full of bezodiazapam

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Sagebrush posted:

san francisco's tap water is so pure they don't even have to filter it. comes straight from the hetch hetchy reservoir in yosemite and they add chlorine and put it in your pipes, that's it.

so naturally everyone only drinks filtered water.
not exactly true that it comes straight from there, its often pumped into calaveras, san andreas reservoir, lower crystal springs reservoirs, so there's quite a lot of introduced sediments and things and still filtered at plants.

but yeah its very good. also i'm doing work up at o'shaughnessy, the water there is so pure it's caused serious damage to the concrete with ion leeching

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Sagebrush posted:

so this is a thing now

i refuse to believe flat earthers are actually a thing in tyool2018 (or at least >2 people) and not a lolironic 4chan gimmick

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
i can wrap my head around people believing a lot of dumb poo poo like jesus created all humans q.e.d. or even hollow earth and reptilian people, or chemtrails, or vaccine autism, or whatever, but my brain cannot process someone believing flatearth. its just one big blank going ok no way but what about x, and y, and z, how.. how could they evne think that? aaaaaaa

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
why would you buy that and not a good+cheap $120 shark navigator??

also why the gently caress would a vacuum cleaner need internet connection unless its a roomba

e: oh it is a roomba, ehhhhhhh. i was picturing an standard upright vacuum cleaner with IoT poo poo to turn it on and going huh what the hell

Xaris fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Feb 7, 2018

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

wat, indeed

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
Josephine, the home-cooked meal startup where you can buy homecooked meals from local neighbors closed up late last week. http://www.berkeleyside.com/2018/02/02/josephine-announces-it-will-close/

most startups are bad, but it seemed like a generally fine idea, especially those with bigger families already making bulk food it's fairly trivial to make some more (tamale ladies). at least one good thing coming out of it is still a bill to allow selling of microkitchen food that will probably pass the ca state (already passed assembly).

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

the institution of babbyphoto sharing and wishing your extended family happy birthdays is the underpinning of society
#kony2012

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
Facebook can easily fail and repercussions would be nil. it’s only used by grandmas and Russian bots anyways

google would be way more dangerous and too big because of google mail in particular, search part is easily replaced

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

i suspect there are other tech companies capable of providing webmail

altho looking at the competition, loosing google maps would be a major setback

its not so much providing mail, in that rather someone else scooping up gmail accounts/service in liquidation or whatever buyouts would be loving awful

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
i feel thats p much a "water is wet; trump is bad" no-poo poo article. everyone already knows if you make legal sources easier+affordable it kills piracy and whatever is left is p much people that couldn't pay (14 year olds, 3rd world countries, whatever) anyways.

i stopped pirating things from like '11 to '16 but with the splintering up of movies/tv as each publisher and studio wants their own ~unique snowflake~ service and demands extra money or whatever from netflix and library starts to rot, i've started using bittorrent in the last year or two than i have the last 5+ years.

i also havent pirated music in years since everything is on spotify and so much easier to have it all in 1-place across my desktop/workstation/phone

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
cool cant wait for this to get used for massive amounts of rape and trafficking

looking for attractive “18” year old massage therapists from Venezuela. will get ice to throw u in a mass grave in the desert if not thorough!!!

just more subtle

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
10 years later after tens of thousands of abuses

oooooohnoohowcouldwehaveseenthatcoming.jpg

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

im ded :rip:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Jonny 290 posted:

> want to open the glovebox? press this button on the touchscreen!

WHAT

uGHH DAD!! stop being so olde!! your embarrasing me infront of my friends complaining about me whipping out my ipad to open the doors!!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

qirex posted:

I have had 1.5-2 hour each way commutes twice in my life and never again

i drove out to hetch hetchy/o'shaughnessy and back recently. loving insane watching the commute direction barely crawling going all the way from sf out to loving lathrop and manteca and poo poo. idk how people do it. i was exhausted driving in the counter-direction with almost traffic

i got to walk around inside the dam which was cool. plus got to cum in sf's water supply so they are all now d rinking my cum

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

We went to the local auto show last Friday and holy poo poo are new cars stupidly expensive, like lovely little Fiat sourced "Jeeps" were $30k+.
this has always been true

though new civics/camrys/priuses/subarus are not too bad and fairly comparable to slightly used model from my experience. buying used wasn't significantly cheaper to justify it when I was looking for 1-2 year older models but our used market is crazy

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
i think that may just fiats. my gf would love to get a fiat since she's not a good driver and can't see/park well so something very small+cheap just to get to/from work across town would be nice. but they are insanely expensive for what you get its kinda crazy. same for smartcars

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

https://twitter.com/ByRosenberg/status/968198217945956352

The report also found many riders aren't using hailed rides to connect to a subway or bus line, but instead as a separate mode of transit, said Alison Felix, one of the report's authors.

"Ride sharing is pulling from and not complementing public transportation," she said.

That's not quite what Uber founder Travis Kalanick suggested in 2015 when he said, "We envision a world where there's no more traffic in Boston in five years."

A study released in December found that large increases in the number of taxis and ride-sharing vehicles are contributing to slow traffic in Manhattan's central business district. It recommended policies to prevent further increases in "the number of vacant vehicles occupied only by drivers waiting for their next trip request."

In San Francisco, a study released in June found that on a typical weekday, ride-hailing drivers make more than 170,000 vehicle trips, about 12 times the number of taxi trips, and that the trips are concentrated in the densest and most congested parts of the city.

And a survey released in October of more than 4,000 adults in Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles, New York, the San Francisco Bay Area, Seattle and Washington, D.C., also concluded that 49 to 61 percent of ride-hailing trips would have not been made at all — or instead by walking, biking or public transit — if the option didn't exist.

hahahaha of course
yep. uber et so have noticeably contributed to even worse traffic around and in sf, especially on commute, night, and weekend hours with declining bart ridership for everything but peak commute (which of course is up an insanely

I can look out my window and see at least a third of cars have uber/Lyft stickers

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

rjmccall posted:

el cerrito is a big ugly one-road strip on the outskirts of richmond that slowly climbs into some really expensive houses with gorgeous views of the bay and a 2400-acre park in their backyard

naturally the bart stations are both on the strip, which is just utterly irredeemable

i got horrible poison oak once hiking over the hills from del norte to my grandparents' house in el sobrante
i like el cerrito and live close. its a bit underrated and albany/cerrito border has a lot of fun stuff. it's certainly not very exciting (which can be good for cheaper housing, bad for dates) and yeah the northern side going into richmond along san pablo is p dead. but it's still moderately affordable and mostly working/middle class and decent transit options. the houses in cerrito hills are not terribly overpriced for what you can get either

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

qirex posted:

sounds like the spotify ipo is going to be some :suspense:

I loving love Spotify but no way in hell I’d buy shares since they’re almost inevitable doomed. The music streaming model is almost fundamentally different than tv or movies. big media is going to start asking for more and more for x and y and z and do their own exclusive partnerships with highest bidders from Apple or Google or whatever leading to piecemeal destruction of their library. and unlike Netflix you really can’t produce your own content to make up for hemorrhaging g library because people will get pissed when their favorite songs/artists start to dissapear from their library since it’s something actively reused. and then the user death spiral happens. also ads are poo poo useless and revenue from them is gunna decline as more companies realize they’re useless

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

qirex posted:

yeah the base problem for streaming companies with other people's content is when you go public you have to publish your numbers so the people you're paying can just ask for 25% of it knowing there's 10 other companies doing the same thing

the music industry in particular seems to have no objection to making less money than they could as long as it's on their terms

that’s a good point lol Spotify is hosed

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

California, a failed state if you are white male babby boomber gun nut spouting racial slurs who also needs to drive and park right infront of every store??

we'll tell u more, follow our twitter and tune into all new episode of tucker carlson at 11

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

o wow this was not satire

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

my point is that 'millennial' isn't a cohort anymore, it's just a slur old people use to slag on kids they don't like.

its this

fortunately, babby boomber is a much more degrading and awful term and i love it

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

President Beep posted:

ooooh! my college-aged grandson used to love juice when he was little! i'm going to get him this for his birthday!

:cripes:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
good

i hope we have a mass exodus of shitheads to kansas or oklahoma where they blow their brains out out of despair

it'll help lower housing prices

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
lmfao good

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
luv to turn all stations into playing nothing but creedence clearwater, fleetwood mac, and the who and also agree to a buyout by bain capital

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
iheartmedia is also a shockingly horrible name

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

ect is dangerous but not halfassed

it is known to work very well
david foster wallace underwent a lot of ect and didn't work for him :rip:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i design the built environment that makes our civilization possible :smug:

same

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

in ender's game where they post good enough to rule the world what would you call that job
even as a kid reading that poo poo i was like wait what, this guy argues so well on the internet that everyone elects him god-emperor for life suddenly being convinced by his greatness. since when was anyone ever convinced by someone else instead of holding onto their convictions come hell or high water???

welp jokes on me now. heil trumpo

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
Royal Pains was the one of the worst tv shows i ever saw

it was some rich doctors who went to play private concierge doc in florida to rich families. like the very first ep some rich parents want to keep news that their 17yr son broke his knee out of the media because it would be a big scandal and ruin his political aspirations if it ever came out their son broke a knee, so they convince conciergedoc to bring him to their own private decked out medical room.

was played totally straight and bad

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
*drives excavator into building with hoe ram attachment, smacks floor a few times, strolls out*

its art

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

qirex posted:

trying to make a left turn at 16th & valencia is a bad idea in general

but bloo bloo I’m a hemorrhoid-bursting commuter in state of constipation and Waze said it was 3 minutes faster!! San Francisco is anticar