Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

hey new chat and shitposting thread

i mean tech bubel thread, how could i mix that up silly me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

honey that's called a garden not a "corporate space"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

we recently had a city hall meeting event thing where Rich Owner of Local Sports Team Man told everyone that our public transit was terrible and our bus system especially was "shameful"

even that they had to sell as "don't worry we don't want to get rid of cars!!!!" over and over

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

here's how loving stupid and naive i am: i read that and initially went "oh so they can keep track of who's doing too many repetitive movements and prevent injury, neat" :sigh:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Suspicious Dish posted:

who buys things from ebay

i do, it's an easy way to get weird chinese poo poo and dangerous chemicals and metallic natural uranium

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

https://twitter.com/forexposure_txt/status/958731609041092609

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

must be comfortable with modeling but NO FAGS!!!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i really hope he gets cryonically frozen when he dies from a blood clot due to vampirism and then have it somehow actually work and he wakes up in the far future to see a bunch of strange mixed-race people speaking a language he can't understand that kinda-sorta sounds like english and all his money is worthless and what few skills he has aren't at all useful because he's basically the equivalent of a trebuchet mechanic

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

also you can buy this on there

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Flash-Flying-Ball-Infrared-Induction-Colorful-LED-Disco-RC-Helicopter-Toy-New-TH/142646104162

it's about $3 US and you turn it on and it just starts wildly flying around the room and blinking and slicing people's faces with its blades

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

big Clive did a review a bit back of you are interested in party murder ball

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgZ0uCuZhDU

yeah that's where i found out about it too :3:

also i just noticed you can buy a 10-pack of them which obviously i instantly bought so i can release a whole swarm at once

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Schadenboner posted:

Couldn't an uber hold two (or more) passengers for at least some of the trips, reducing the total number of cars?

Actually: that could work for any of them, some sort of "car-pool" arrangement?

but people hate sharing things with strangers

so i guess you could charge an added fee to only be put in cars with pretty people who smell nice

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

uber black more like uber noblacks

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Elysiume posted:

yeah that's fine, I stand by my point that taking a lyft to the airport doesn't automatically mean you hate poor people

you too good for a regular taxi or something

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Elysiume posted:

the difference between a lyft and a taxi is moot when an uber was being compared to public transportation, because a taxi isn't public transportation

it's not moot in determining whether or not you hate poor people tho comrade :commissar:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Elysiume posted:

I don't really get the impression that taxi drivers and lyft drivers are in significantly different income brackets

that's not the point, one of them is a large corporation part of an even larger coalition of corporations that's actively trying (and succeeding) to limit their drivers' rights as employees at every level of government under the banner of enabling the new economy. cab companies aren't exactly great either but they don't have anywhere near the kind of clout or the veneer of trendy high-tech whiteness as lyft et al has

put it another way, taxis weren't the ones who got my state government to enthusiastically pass a law removing my city government's ability to regulate transportation

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

eschaton posted:

this seems like the sort of thing New York’s Department of Labor would find interesting, between the “unpaid intern expected to do mission-critical work” and the “no women or homosexuals” violations both being present right in the ad text

what do you mean, we clearly said it's fine to be any of the three sexualities currently known to modern science: gay, straight, or hate

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

eschaton posted:

why would you want a car that drives itself if you could take a train instead

its at least twice as hard to jack off on a train without people noticing

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i was gonna make a joke about maybe people would ride trains if they could be isolated in their own little sterile room for the whole trip so they don't have any risk of interacting with the wrong kind of people but then i realized that's basically what hyperloop or musk's dumb tunnel company are advertising themselves as ffs

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i assume the thing they're testing is "how little can we pay people to give us full unfettered access to everything about themselves"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i know this thread loves their transit chat so here's a video about 1937-era traffic lights i stumbled on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKMtNLGGpUQ

key takeaway for me is that traffic lights were incredibly loving confusing before they were standardized. depending on where you were in the country they could have between two and four lights, you could just slam right from green to red, yellow and green might come on at the same time, or if you're real lucky they could have something altogether different, like this loving bizarre... thing:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

im the global dildo database with unprotected PHPMyAdmin exposed like it was set up by 14 year old me :downs:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

man you started setting up global dildo dbs pretty young

yeah im a real pro dildoer

or as we call it in "the biz", dilpro

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The_Franz posted:

look, it's not so bad when you compare it to a corvair, ok?

im the word "corporate" thrown in there like tesla isn't a corporation

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

don’t have any bottling plants nearby?

i live like 20 minutes from Zephyrhills, the place, where Zephyrhills, the bottled water product, comes from

our tap water is merely average and has plenty of hardness :shrug:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

czeching their website it looks like they source from a number of springs all over florida and not from what tampa's using for municipal supply

which makes sense for commercially bottled water - the point is that i'd be more impressed about your local water table if they bottled a lotta coke and mountain dew and whatnot nearby, since that implies that your municipal water is sourced from a nice confined aquafer that provides water needing v little treatment for odor and color, the two most notoriously difficult things to treat

the point i was gonna make originally was that, at least here, all the bottled water bottling plants don't pull from the municipal supplies, they pay primo prices to rape our natural beautiful springs directly

then i realized i was getting into an argument about goddamn bottled water and dropped that angle :shrug:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

tho now that i think about it we do have like, generic soft-drink bottling plants, my wife works next to the Cott Beverages one, so who knows :shrug:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

fishmech posted:

what point is that, exactly. your municipal supply is coming from the same place

one is pumped directly out of the springs, decreasing their available flowrates and affecting wildlife downstream, the other is coming from a well sunk into a completely different far away part of the aquifer that has much less of an impact

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

flakeloaf posted:

at fractions of pennies on the dollars it would cost taxpaying people who live here to do exactly the same thing, no less

gently caress nestle out loud, that's what i think

i always thought they paid more to take it directly from the spring but no you're probably right :sigh:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

flakeloaf posted:

tbf isn't that every hot spring

our tour guide to the blue lagoon helpfully pointed out that it wasn't a good idea to touch the water with anything you didn't want to have smelling like a gas leak for the next month

i drank the water at the fountain of youth in st. augustine and it just tastes like bad pizza

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

one of my replies to her got fav'd by her this morning and i feel special :shobon:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

also bitcoin is crashing hard at the same time

did bitcoin crash the global economy, jfc

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

fishmech posted:

uh, thats not how that works. drawing from one part of the aquifer affects it all bro.

thinking like you do is why idiot great plains farmers swear its not THEIR farm that's a problem

okay fishmech, whatever

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Schadenboner posted:

This burn is somewhat diminished by the fact you've actually quoted fishmech, though? Hth.

it's not meant to be a burn or anything i just really don't feel like doing the whole "fishmech arguing against something you didn't actually say while calling you an idiot" thing right now

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

ShadowHawk posted:

I spent 600 dollars on light bulbs this week.

hue

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

ie soft water

and hard water can give you bladder stones kidney stones and gallstones

the health effects of hard and soft water are all statistical and probably outweighed by genetics and other aspects of diet anyway

but if you’re really worried about your water’s mineral levels i hear alex jones sells an excellent filter for your taps

regardless of how scummy and horrible the man is i gotta respect him in a weird way for selling WAKE UP AMERICA coffee

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

https://twitter.com/scottbudman/status/960658293906579456

oh no what ever will these tragic victims do now

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

also lol at the replies where some guy is shocked, shocked that someone might wish bad fortune on the ultra-rich, and decides it's because they "lack the ambition to work hard and try to become rich"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

so not actually connect-to-wifi "smart" lights just lights with dinky 433mhz receivers in them, which explains why they're super cheap

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

not that i actually want each individual loving lightbulb i own to individually connect to my fuckin' wifi network though, so w/e

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

433mhz should get better range than WiFi though

at least in regions where that’s an ism band you can use power with...

in my experience the reliability of the whole thing (especially over distance) super heavily depends on the modulation its using, a lot of them basically just hook up an IR remote control chip to a 433mhz crystal via an RF transistor and that seems particularly fragile in my testing

source: i reverse engineered a bunch of RF remote control switches so I could control them from my own transmitter