Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
i didn't read every post in the old thread, but i did read way too many

thanks yosgoons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
shoulda used a maneuver node instead of freeballing it

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
anyone know where to buy 5-year out-of-the-money puts?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
zeppelin launch

you probably only need like two or three hindenburgs

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
those anime dog tits are above your clearance level, troubleshooter

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Thorium fission is a more realistic energy production method in the near future than fusion. Lol at that ever getting worked on in the current us political climate though. (But I hear the PRC is making good progress? Still about a decade away though)

Heck, good old fashioned uranium fission is a more realistic energy production method (at least in countries where it wouldn't be seen as a proliferation risk), and that's literally going backwards in the us these days.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Predicting what you meant to type with a swipe keyboard is kinda the only way to use it

autocorrecting words you've tapped in is pretty heinous though

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

President Beep posted:

id get an airplane and learn how to fly it.

you don't need to be a billionaire to do this

but yeah having that much money removes some of the bigger objections

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
one way to look at an ipo is selling a hojillion shares all at once, in which case no poo poo you're not going to be able to get current market price for every single one of them

is snap's plan going to get them a bigger proportion of the potential takings than the typical plan of "give someone with big pockets a cut in exchange for them evening out the supply"? who knows. it's gonna be interesting i guess.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
the entire design of an economy-class seat is to be durable enough to meet safety regs, and then be as lightweight as possible.

"comfortable" is waaay down the list of priorities, and padding is heavy

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
"if my car could fly, i wouldn't get stuck in traffic"

it's a chronic lack of imagination

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
tbf i'm not sure how you'd go about man-rating something like a quadcopter design, those things are a single bearing seize-up away from flipping over and being totally unrecoverable. which is fine if it's just a toy and the operator is following the rules of "don't fly it around over people", but not so much when you're carrying a person around.

spreading each possible torque moment over multiple rotors means that the control system at least has a chance of landing the thing safely if one (or even several) fail, and you just need to guard them sufficiently such that one failing doesn't take out anything else with shrapnel.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
if i wanted to get something brown and runny from the internet i'd read your posts

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

ArmZ posted:

I loving hope this true and there's footage

telemetry and footage exists, guaranteed. the only question is whether anyone at uber is stupid enough to try deleting it.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
lmao, not the first time uber's employed felons to drive cars

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
turns out "move fast and break things" isn't a good plan when you're talking about things with real consequences instead of fart apps

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The camera is being washed out by the streetlights shining directly at it. A human driver (who knows that the road is what it needs to pay attention to, not the streetlights themselves) can see a lot more of the road than you can see in the video. An attentive human driver would absolutely have seen the lady in time to avoid the collision.

(Not to mention the fact that lidar absolutely did see her regardless of lighting levels, and the computer chose to ignore it)

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
tesla now applying reactive armour theory to automobiles, with the front of the car literally exploding to counteract the force of an impact instead of merely crumpling

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
img-far-side-hopeful-parents.jpg

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
i'm gonna guess "no negative effects if you take the necessary supplements for the things you're no longer getting in your diet, will literally kill you if you don't take them"

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Lysidas posted:

lol the total size of the data google has on me is 91.1MB in tar.gz format

they actually have the same amount of info on you as they do on everyone else, you're just incredibly boring so it gzips really well

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
the best way to implement this would be to snoop on what other browser windows you have open and look for wikipedia pages

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
poopsock for the highscores so much i give myself carpal tunnel

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

DELETE CASCADE posted:

my company does a shutdown week between xmas and new year's. so you get like 4 working days off with pay, but you only get them if you have been with the company for at least a year. otherwise it's 1 day per quarter you've worked there. it's kinda annoying because we'll hire people toward the end of the year, and they hear about the holiday week and get excited, and we have to remind them that oh actually you don't get those days and in fact you're probably gonna need to take unpaid time off because you haven't accumulated enough pto yet sorry :(

e: you are not allowed to just work the days anyway (even though this would be possible in almost all cases). the office is shut down

they don't even let people borrow pto for it? lame as hell

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
regular old freight rail can't even compete with sea shipping for routes along the coast, a sci fi train that's orders of magnitude more expensive per container-mile is not going to be at all viable even if you did manage to solve the engineering problems.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
"Can we bill you for it?" -> "Looks like it's time to come in for a check-up!"

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
yeah, it really sucks if you're commuting at 7 am, and it's not because you shifted your work day earlier

two hours each way means that's four hours of your life every day that you're spending just ... commuting. literally half of your non-working, non-sleeping time. have you considered getting accommodation closer to work, or a job closer to home?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

i want to move myself off transit and onto something else, be it self driving cars or what have you. i dont particularly mind about what other passengers want to do. if you generalise everything you read on here this much i recommend checking your blood pressure, friend

you might find this hard to believe, but it's actually already possible to purchase a private automobile and drive it yourself

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
So, who's going to be the person who ends up vouching for the janitors?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Should kick out the horses too imo, hikers only

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It's dangerous because ... some idiot in a stopped car might spontaneously decide to drive into the also-stopped car in an adjacent lane, without noticing that you're in between?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Shaggar posted:

its dangerous during the turn. if the person on the scooter waits and gets behind a car in the turn then that's fine I guess.

Down here in aus the motorcycle typically gets back in the lane in front of the car while waiting at the lights. You're only allowed to split while traffic is stopped or moving slowly anyway, so if the light turns green before you get there you pretty much have to merge back into the lane before everything gets moving.

Some car drivers get really irrationally angry when they see you do it though.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

President Beep posted:

on tailspin they had an airport that was floating through the air hanging from balloons. that’s what i want.

remember crimson skies? that game owned

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Schadenboner posted:

Ah yes, of course, that famous quote?

:shrug:

Literally everyone in the world is smarter than me...

Being known by even one person literally over 2000 years later is probably sufficient to call a quote "famous".

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Imo there should be criminal manslaughter charges for the executives and engineers that made those decisions.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Do we know how the speed up affected the damage @elonmusk @Tesla? It seems that coming away from this kind of accident with such a minor injury should at least raise the possibility that speeding up was the right move? Perhaps it sped up to meaningfully alter the angle of impact?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
should be pedal assist only imo

if it has a throttle it's a motorbike, and you shouldn't be allowed to ride it in cycle lanes

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
there's a benjamin sticking out behind each of my ankles, does that count?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
that guy is either really dumb or being really disingenuous.

or possibly both

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
i was expecting to hear about a lot more iphones, you goons aren't keeping up with your james quota