Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

sam biddle and sarah jeong unblock me on twitter you motherfuckers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

bump_fn posted:

im the idiot posting in the tech bubble thread who has never heard of incognito mode

its the principle of it.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

i may be a hard partying ai researcher/business administrator with low moral standards who works for college recommendation letters, but im afraid i must pass, bc modeling work is for pussies

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

lmao the first fuckin town you get into when you cross the bridge is fremont. :wtc:

fremont, livermore, pleasanton... truly the 21st century rust belt...

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

jesus fuckin christ

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

not tech buble but this thread talks about all sort of california public policy poo poo and this story is long as hell but reall y fuckin good https://story.californiasunday.com/resnick-a-kingdom-from-dust

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

https://twitter.com/ByRosenberg/status/960648430459617281

While neighboring Mountain View plans for 10,000 new homes and politicians throughout the state prioritize what they call a full-fledged housing crisis, Cupertino Mayor Darcy Paul sees things a little differently: He says the housing shortage in his city isn’t dire and doesn’t require drastic action.

His comments are drawing fire from activists who argue Cupertino is on the front lines of a massive housing shortage that’s forcing people to flee the Bay Area for more affordable places.

“It’s not at a point where anyone can justifiably say that we’re at a critical level where drastic measures must be taken,” Paul said during his recent “state of the city” speech, “but the data is telling us that we should pay more attention to ensuring that our housing stock keeps in balance with our job growth.”

“The circumstances are not dire. We have good options,” he continued.

hahahahahahaha

The median price of a Cupertino home is $2.2 million — a 21 percent increase from just a year ago, according to Zillow. That means even well-paid techies are struggling to live here. In 2015, Zillow says, a typical entry-level software engineer would have had to spend 55 percent of his or her monthly income to rent a home in Cupertino, or 69 percent to buy one.

nice

probably just a coincidence:

http://cupertinotoday.com/2018/01/09/cupertino-school-board-to-mull-potential-5m-in-cuts/

quote:

Budget cuts of up to $5 million next school year due to declining enrollment and increased costs are set to be discussed at the Cupertino Union School Board meeting this evening at 6 p.m.

In the next five years, enrollment at the Cupertino Unified School District is expected to fall by more than 1,200 students, according to enrollment projection consultants hired by the School Board.

“The projected difference from just October 2017 to October 2018 is by 478 students,” according to their report. “A decline by another 378 is forecast in the following year.”

By 2022, fewer than 16,800 students are expected to attend the school district’s schools compared with the current figure of 18,001.

“Soaring housing prices, including rents, since 2012 are believed to be the main cause of these declining numbers of younger students and births, with many young families no longer being able to afford living in the area,” according to a summary of the report’s findings.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

https://twitter.com/kimmaicutler/status/959559455774973953

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

"A good start"

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

more like chinartino these days lol

"these days" lol

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

i graduated from cupertino high more than 10 years ago and let me tell you...

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

crabrock posted:

when i try to use that it just deletes my facebook

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

waylmao

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

haveblue posted:

change the title to "tech bubble 451: it was a pleasure to burn VC"

heh

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

lol what

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

seriously his mother was a model how did that happen

computers: not even once

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

lancemantis posted:

much like people have built youtube empires, many people have built facebook empires and loving with the algorithmic feed means their posts might not show up and ruin their numbers

a good start

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

make it a property tax not a sales tax tho

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

someone please wake me up from this hellish nightmare

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

it is really hard for me to express, in words, how viscerally repulsive that is. it is no longer possible to die. we are already in hell.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Jimmy Carter posted:

has there been anyone doing a Branch Davidian-style “hacker compound” in the mountains above Los Gatos yet? There’s still a bunch of land I see and it’s like 30 minutes to San Jose

well holy city was up there looking for buyers until 2016 when the sciti's snapped it up... missed your chance.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Heaven's Default Gateway

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

also scott wiener is a real mixed bag. it seems like every time i read something about him my attitudes flip.

for instance, he got a bill passed that requires all san francisco employers to provide paid parental leave, regardless of gender. that's good!

but then he got another one through that closes the parks here at night, which was supposedly to prevent vandalism, but really just makes it easier to arrest the homeless. that's bad.

he started a bill to require california government documents to include a non-binary gender option on all forms. that's good!

but he sponsored the sugary drink tax that unfairly targets poor-person drinks (soda) while exempting rich person drinks (sweetened coffee and tea products). that's bad!

i still don't know what i think.

iawtp

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

san francisco is a bummer. whats the cool west coast city now (dont say portland)

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

trick question gentrification and changing demographics have probably ruined city life for a few generations barring some sort of mass exegesis back to the suburbs,.. im moving to chile

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

i think qirex was the one who posted the original most-san-francisco thing overheard at the ferry building: "my doula makes the best kale chips"

my personal most-san-francisco thing i've seen was while i was waiting outside a parking garage. a guy in a $100k tesla pulled in, parked in the space beside a $20k nissan leaf that was using the EV charger, hopped out, looked around for a second, then unplugged the leaf and stuck the cord in his own car and walked away. superficial eco-conscious liberalism that belies the loving over of anyone poorer than yourself

i had to google 'doula ' but lol x2

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

lancemantis posted:

really they're just suburbanizing cities now
ya

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

all car drivers should press gas at the same time directly into one another

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

without a doubt one of the dumbest motherfuckers on this planet.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

lol
https://twitter.com/Ana1Sima/status/964410921786331137

*gesturing wildly at chart* This. Explains. Everything!!!

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

everything in the car is controlled with the touchscreen because that's the future

want to open the glovebox? press this button on the touchscreen!
want to move the airflow from the vents? move this crosshair on the touchscreen!
want to adjust the cruise control speed? drag this slider on the touchscreen!
open the frunk or the charging port? touchscreen!
check your speed or the status of your turn signals? they're right there in the corner of the touchscreen, dummy!
open the loving doors? not the touchscreen, amazingly! but the door handles are an electrical button so they don't work if the car runs out of power. in that event, there is a manual release hidden under the armrest, but you aren't supposed to use it because it can rip off the door trim if you do.

sum total of physical controls: pedals, wheel, headlight/windshield wiper, drive mode selector, and two scroll wheels.

but it's fine because ol'musky says you won't be driving yourself anyway, any day now...

does every tesla look like this inside or just the 3 series

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

infernal machines posted:

model s (2014)

model x

:whitewater:

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

President Beep posted:

lol if you buy software.

:rolleyes:

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

what do you think happened to people like this that made them this way

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

good

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

stymie vs fishmech who ya got folks :munch":

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Wheany posted:

it's pretty remarkable how the people who get though the job interview process are the optimal choice for the position and not merely "good enough" (if they're a white dude)
and of course if the person hired is not a white dude, well then they're always a diversity hire and not even "good enough"

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

it is worth repeating that your job is probably not very hard, and most semi-qualified people can probably do it fine if you work in tech

i have a job after all

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Wheany posted:

the main reason i've gotten every job i've had was because i knew a guy.

basically same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

FamDav posted:

i thought ucsb was affirmative action for white people?

lol