Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Boston water was way better than palo alto water but that's probably their water comes out of the tap actually cold for 9 months a year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

i have all of that money they lost because i shorted the entire stock market

i put all of it into bitcoin.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

when i try to use that it just deletes my facebook

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

"i'm busy" has always meant no

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Bulgakov posted:

high on their own supply of lunacy

actually they don't believe in the moon

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

lol what do they think is the fog coming off a waiting rocket? fun smoke?

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

somebody aim a rocket at him and see if it blows away

lol nevermind it was out of fuel

his toupe and the model 3 have the same gap tolerance

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

you guys aren't even pasting the best quote

quote:

On a call with analysts Musk said production was getting back on track. “If we can send a Roadster to the asteroid belt we can probably solve Model 3 production,” he said.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

if google scholar ever went away i would be sad. it's good at finding papers.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

i mean just somebody finding your paper isn't gonna get you a citation. when it comes to that stuff who you know in the field, journal impact factor, etc, matter way more than "does this paper show up in search results."

plus all the big names just do a press release anyway

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

wait is there a librarian that will read hundreds of journal articles, critically analyze them to only give me the most relevant ~50 or so and then add them to a reference manager for me? cause if so then gently caress yeah I'll give up a tech-based approach to lit review

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

my point was that using something like google scholar to find shitloads of papers isn't what you'd use a librarian for, so equating the two is loving dumb. The critically analyze part was that you have to read a bunch of papers to know what the relevent ones are. I can't just go to a librarian and say "give me everything on forebrain ischemia" because that'd be literally thousands of articles, not that I think google does that for me.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

http://www.zdnet.com/article/after-dismissing-security-flaw-amazon-patches-key-smart-lock-anyway/

"the company has fixed a flaw that could bypass the lock mechanism. This time around, Amazon won't concede that the latest lock bypass technique is a bug."

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Apple Employees Keep Smacking Into Their New Headquarters' Glass Walls

http://time.com/5162419/apple-new-headquarters-glass/

lol like birds

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

haveblue posted:

gotta put predator silhouettes on the glass

anyone have a couple of big android robot stickers

"Some staff started to stick Post-It notes on the glass doors to mark their presence. However, the notes were removed because they detracted from the building’s design"

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

wow there are so many smart people in this thread i feel like a real nincumpoop

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

flakeloaf posted:

talking to your phone makes you look like an even bigger tool than usual

why is that man talking into that box

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Sagebrush posted:

I use the Google voice typing recognition thing on my phone all the time to make posts. It works with surprisingly high-reliability. Aside from the occasional weird capitalization or homophone interchange, it's pretty solid.

I made this post using that technique, for instance. No Corrections

The only really frustrating thing about Google's implementation is that you can't add quotation marks. If you try you get quote four score and seven years ago on quote.

u didn't need to hyphenate high-reliability TAKE THAT GOOGLE VOICE

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

i haven't installed a keyboard on my phone in like 5 years of stock android phones. they all have swype knockoff and commas or whatever.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

facebook runs on php so pretty much every "we can't because of the language" really has nothing on that.

i can't even begin to understand how a platform that already allows you to block users won't let you block certain other users. is that just meant to satiate techignorant board members?

"EVERY TIME WE HIT 'BAN' ON THE NAZI ACCOUNT IT JUST RE-ENABLES ITSELF, GOSH DARN RAILS!"

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Sagebrush posted:

one i think has class 9am-10pm two days a week with an hour for lunch and that's it

this was literally my first year of undergrad. 45 minute drive each way but only had class tues/thurs. I took like 21 units a semester or something. I frontloaded a lot of poo poo while I was still enthusiastic about going back to school

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

why do i need to know where my car drives me to get gas

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

what can a gallon of gas even cost these days, $10?

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

pretty soon they can just use self driving cars since they don't have to drive them

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

FMguru posted:

imagine having $1bn+ and choosing to spend all day in your gamer chair shitposting

but that's the only reason i want money in the first place

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

i did the ground school part of pilot's license and then when i found out how much it cost to pay for all those flight instructor hours i said "i will do this later."

i took one lesson and in the air was fun but he made me land (he was helping) and the whole time i thought "isn't this something you should be doing this feels weird."

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

we had to learn everything with the loving awesome manual tools that were invented because my flight instructor said that digital sucks and fails all the time and if you rely on that you'll definitely die. he scoffed at people who take ipads up into their plan to chart their course and stuff. we did it all on big maps and it was cool as heck.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

i don't remember what any of this means other than the big blue circles are big airports that you can't fly through unless you ask for permission or whatever.

https://skyvector.com/?ll=37.61488410732532,-122.04327392222037&chart=301&zoom=3

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

i cook in cast iron because the body needs castium

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

gonna be embarrassing when the robots kill us and then they run away looking like they're cheering but really it's just how they have to run so they don't fall over

plz somebody photoshop the terminator chasing john conner like the funny runny robot

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

r u saying.... sexism.... in America?!?!?!?!!!

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Munkeymon posted:

when a multi-decade smear campaign built out of innuendo on a foundation of bullshit sinks a capable politician's career it's really the voters fault but they're gettin theirs now

sure but everybody knew clinton had that baggage and tried to ram her through anyway. expecting the american people to somehow not be shitheads is a dumb strategy

WE COULD HAVE ALL HAD ALL THE FREE STUFF RIGHT NOW

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

i wish my office had a bed so i could just sleep here and save an hour a day i love 2 work

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

my boss got oren's hummus for a lab meeting and they wrote "10x chicken" on it cause he got 10 orders of chicken and somebody said "oh man we better dilute this chicken" and it was p funny anyway that's my oren's hummus story

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

everybody post their job itt so i can know if i can consider myself better than you

place yourself on the spectrum of working for facebook or working for insurance company

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

well yeah my job leads to the direct death of babies, adults, and everybody in between, but some guy treats his mental illness in a way i find funny and works for a company that i don't like, so really who is worse?

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

really the only way to beat SV is to deprive them of tech workers by denying all childhood cancer claims to reduce the worker pool. you loving fools just see everything in the short term while this genius is addressing institutional problems

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

i saw the artist is present irl and i was like this is boring and the whole museum was weird and i don't like any art i discovered.

trains, on the other hand, are super cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

lancemantis posted:

I think you mean team of postdocs if that entire team budget is $300k

what do you need 20 postdocs for