Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

quote:

One of Nathan For You’s defining — and most enjoyable — attributes is the way Nathan is constantly piling one lie on top of another to make things work, and the fact that he usually pulls it off has given us some of the show’s most satisfying episodes. That was certainly true with “Shipping Logistics Company,” where Nathan starts with one typically absurd idea — the notion that a smoke detector could be used as a musical instrument — and got progressively more ridiculous from there.

Nathan is attempting to help a small logistics company save money by getting around tariff laws. He notices that smoke detectors carry much higher tariffs than musical instruments, and he’s got his plan. ...

Her pessimism aside, Nathan is especially clever in this one. First, he packages the smoke detectors as “blues” smoke detectors, and hires local musician Harmonica Greg to give “instructions” on how to play them, which amount to nothing more than “just press the test button.” When a California judge tells Nathan this won’t be enough, he goes a step further, and gives us the real meat of this episode: trying to have a hit song with a smoke detector in it.
https://www.avclub.com/nathan-finds-a-new-use-for-smoke-detectors-on-a-clever-1819898545

quote:

Last weekend, the Boring Company offered 20,000 novelty flamethrowers for sale. By Thursday, all 20,000 had sold out. But now Elon Musk says the company has hit an obstacle.

"Some customs agencies are saying they won’t allow shipment of anything called a 'Flamethrower,'" Musk tweeted on Friday night. "To solve this, we are renaming it 'Not a Flamethrower.'"

To be fair, that might be a more accurate label. As Ars Technica's Ron Amadeo wrote earlier this week, the Boring Company's "flamethrower" looks like it's "nothing more than a propane torch with fancy styling."
https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2018/02/elon-musk-ill-dub-my-flamethrower-not-a-flamethrower-to-thwart-customs/

Excited for ole' Musky's final metamorphosis into literal self parody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Lol these are in NYC too, which has fantastic tap water.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

PineappleGod posted:

Up here in the frozen north of Finland, I have Webasto fuel operated heater in my car.
You can evidently buy one in the US as well see: https://www.webasto-comfort.com/int/heating/car-parking-heater/fuel-operated-heating/

It came with my used car, evidently installing one to an old car here costs around 2000 euros, but if you buy a new car its a bit less to have installed at the factory.
It uses about 0,5l of fuel per hour of heating, you can set a timer on it, so your car is heated up when you want to leave.

I have this handwarmer that zippo makes. It uses some catalytic thing that you have to kickstart with a flame, and then it just slowly consumes lighter fluid for hours and hours while staying really warm. Other than looking cool, it's I guess more useful for really long trips and such, because you can refill it, instead of constantly throwing away chemical warmers, or having to reboil the reusable ones.

When I first got it I just kinda held it at my desk because "oh hey new toys" and "smooth warm thing in winter". Then I got a headache and read the pamphlets in box and it was like "lol don't use this indoors you will die from fumes." I'm really smart sometimes :downs:.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Huh, weird. I met that lady like 3 years ago because my friend knows her and they came over to my house for drinks once. She said the Soylent guy is actually super nice in person.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

infernal machines posted:

they're not tho? i mean those ones are but ikea sells 'em and they're cheap as heck

Do you mean LED bulbs, or does Ikea sell "beep boop connect my lovely lightbulb to WiFi for app" now?

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Oh, huh. Well at least one review suggests they might be typical Ikea garbage so maybe that explains the reduced cost.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

flakeloaf posted:

dear disembodied, doughy hole

this steaming cup of bitterness has selected you

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

haveblue posted:

I like my women like I like my coffee

Metaphorical and app based?

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Do you think Sarah would mind if we changed the thread title to "techbubb.le: laser is the sauce"?

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

as for spacex, i've got no particular love for musk, but at least they're doing something marginally useful compared to loving Virgin Galactic.

has spacex even killed anyone yet?

Why don't you just put the rocket on a plane and launch it from the sky? Then you're already way close to space. I don't know why people say these NASA guys are so smart if they haven't thought of this yet. :downs:

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

ate all the Oreos posted:

im almost certain :thejoke:

Yeah, my understanding is that the reason every rocket isn't launched from a plane is it doesn't help you much, because getting enough dV to achieve orbit is the hard part. So now you have to figure out how to get enough fuel to reach orbit into a much smaller and more complicated machine that's attached to the bottom of a plane. A plane flown by humans who don't appreciate being exploded when something goes wrong.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

haveblue posted:

marketing: $100
R&D: $100
nazis: $5000
customer service: $100

please help, my company is dying

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

ah, well all good then, nothing to see here

Ahh, labelling it as "not for human consumption", the old trick used by skeevy online sellers of fentanyl analogs cooked up by Thai labs. This one weird trick that makes regulators powerless. The FDA hates it!

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

https://twitter.com/sarahjeong/status/961701279318736896

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Isn't this the guy that's always wrong and angry about everything?

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Zikan posted:

lmao google

too bad that means uber "wins"

Meh.

It was starting to look like the specific trade secret claims were going to be hard to make stick, but at the same time, hugely embarrassing for Uber having a long drawn out case of them looking like assclowns, constantly having "mycrimes.txt ;) ;)" texts and emails entered into public record.

Also turns out Levandowski was a huge useless assclown and Uber's robot cars will be solidly in the Tesla poo poo-tier for years to come.

So... stalemate? Lawyers probably won big $$$ .

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

https://twitter.com/selenalarson/status/961994986542661632

Edit: Holy lol, so Kalanick and Levandowski getting thrown under the self driving bus hardcore: https://www.uber.com/newsroom/uber-waymo-settlement/

mrmcd fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Feb 9, 2018

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Shaggar posted:

was goog claiming it was strange for a developer to checkout code?

I mean whether or not downloading the entire repo history is normal behavior for svn, he also then copied everything to a SD card.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Internet Janitor posted:

google literally decided I am a typo

Well statistically, you are.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Rex-Goliath posted:

weekly reminder that the first step to getting off facebook is by deleting the app off of your phone

do it

*Is yelled at by lovely troll to 'delete your account'*

*deletes app*

*deletes account*

*deletes the internet*

*turns of computer*

*is finally free*

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

i would like to use an rpg-7 in cambodia to blow up an old car or something

shooting a rocket at a cow is sadistic and cruel

I was assuming it was a cow carcass that had already been slaughtered but now I realize you're probably right...

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

bob dobbs is dead posted:

Rsu payment like that is for tech majors and companies that imitate tech majors

Companies that don't imitate tech majors, you'll just top out in cash, and usually a lower cash amount, at that... Leaving possibly over 100k on the table, in many cases. I knew a guy who left effectively 200k on the table

Try not to leave multiples of normal people's salary on the table because of your class pretensions

My RSUs autosell so it's like getting 1-2 extra paychecks each month. Always sign up for an autosale program if you can. Take your comp in cash and just buy the stock yourself if you want to make a non-tax advantaged investment directly in your employer.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

don't invest in your employer

even if your employer is a good investment, it's the opposite of a diversified portfolio -- you already have a lot at risk, in the form of your fuckin job

Yeah, that's what I was implying with my post. Like if you really want to do that (even if it's probably bad strategy) you can just buy the stock on your etrade account or whatever. Always sell RSUs asap and get your comp in cash.

Also I should point out that RSU grants are usually targeted at a specific cash amount then converted to shares at grant time. So you're already invested in your employer via your future comp for the time period between grant date and vesting.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Also, yeah, start up equity is such a hilariously bad deal for 9/10 employees it's not even funny. Even if the company doesn't crash and burn, the amount most people get is so small compared to the number of years you could be waiting for it, and the opportunity costs of better paying jobs at companies with valuable and liquid equity.

Basically,

bob dobbs is dead posted:

Try not to leave multiples of normal people's salary on the table because of your class pretensions

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Illusive gently caress Man posted:

sometimes I wonder if it's a good idea to short the company stock or a general tech index to reduce my exposure to the tech or advertising industry making GBS threads itself but I don't care enough to actually bother. plus it sounds like it might be illegal or a conflict of interest

You wouldn't short the stock, you'd buy out of the money puts if you wanted to hedge a collapse in price. It's prohibited by every employment agreement I've seen though, and legally shaky as long as you're employed by that company. A tech index etf is probably fine though, legally speaking.

In either case, it's probably too expensive to do continuously as a retail investor to be worth it.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Of course it's loving Megan McArdle, she of the broken calculator.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

FMguru posted:

tesla model 3 touchscreen design working about as well as you expected it to in practice

:lol: why the gently caress is the glove box latch controlled by a tablet? At any rate, don't worry, Ole Musky is on the case:

quote:

Musk eventually heard about these issues and proposed a few fixes that he thought would work. He said that an upcoming update would allow the glovebox to automatically open if the Model 3 detects a sudden stop.

So now instead of just making an ordinary mechanical latch like every other loving car in the world, slamming the brakes too hard causes the glove box to pop open and sore your poo poo all over the floor.

This truly is the car for Gizmo obsessed techie dipshits.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Bulgakov posted:

lol

pay them enough to be able to afford to not work while being sick but lol no USA

In NYC you have to give people 5 days of paid sick leave, but you don't have to have a separate time off pool. So at my old company they charged sick days against your vacation, and then every winter the office was a hellish pool of nasal snorts, coughing, and low level respiratory disease. The CEO refused to allow any other policy though, because he was convinced everyone would just use their sick days as "extra vacation".

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Chris Knight posted:

i mean it's not like there are a ton of studies out there saying his bad open offices are for the last 20 years, AND YET

They aren't building open offices out of a belief they're more productive. They are building them because they're super cheap and you can fit more heads / sqft.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

I’ve never even seen a Samsung store so that means they don’t break right

Not much point in trying to repair the smolding slag leftover from a lithium fire.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Rex-Goliath posted:

yeah it's either gonna be new york area or dc area. i could definitely see them choosing arlington, they'll probably set up in the ballston area or something

A number of Amazon people I talked to said (independently) Pittsburgh. Then again that always wrong YouTube guy also said Pittsburgh so... :shrug:

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

long commutes where people work for free is like every tech company's wet dream

This already exists in the form of tech shuttle buses and the 101, and everyone already hates it.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Xposting from the other thread because :lol: Twitter

anthonypants posted:

twitter can't fix harrassment because of ruby on rails https://twitter.com/ceejbot/status/965750766370668544

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

The thing with Bike Angels is that you get some neat perks in a month if you check the map and walk a few extra blocks, but you can't make actual money at it.

Even if you were to poopsock the membership extensions and had a good circuit, it comes out to like $2-3/hr in discounts. The people getting thousands of points a month are doing soley for OCD "number go up!" Skinner box reasons. As Skinner boxes go though, it's at least healther than every mmo and f2p game so.. :shrug:

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Like a year ago I ate a sixer in cspam for implying that musk was probably fine being on Trump's economic council or whatever because he's probably a secret racist piece of poo poo (and also his companies are totally dependent on government contracts and tax subsidies).

iks were so mad that I dare insult their beloved genius god emperor lol.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

https://twitter.com/MikeIsaac/status/1001860992769318914

Dr. Li’s concern about the implications of military contracts for Google has proved prescient. The company’s relationship with the Defense Department since it won a share of the contract for the Maven program, which uses artificial intelligence to interpret video images and could be used to improve the targeting of drone strikes, has touched off an existential crisis, according to emails and documents reviewed by The Times as well as interviews with about a dozen current and former Google employees.

It has fractured Google’s work force, fueled heated staff meetings and internal exchanges, and prompted some employees to resign. The dispute has caused grief for some senior Google officials, including Dr. Li, as they try to straddle the gap between scientists with deep moral objections and salespeople salivating over defense contracts.

Executives at DeepMind, an A.I. pioneer based in London that Google acquired in 2014, have said they are completely opposed to military and surveillance work, and employees at the lab have protested the contract. The acquisition agreement between the two companies said DeepMind technology would never be used for military or surveillance purposes.

About a dozen Google employees have resigned over the issue, which was first reported by Gizmodo. One departing engineer petitioned to rename a conference room after Clara Immerwahr, a German chemist who killed herself in 1915 after protesting the use of science in warfare. And “Do the Right Thing” stickers have appeared in Google’s New York City offices, according to company emails viewed by The Times.

lol

The funny thing about this, is that afaict they just sold the generals some bog standard video classifiers and a few sales engineers to teach their other tech dorks how to do tensor flow. Like not trivial but far from a skynet awakening ai murderbot future. High margin gpu hours baby!!

The execs in charge of this just seem so intent on making themselves look as greedy and out of touch as possible. I mean, yeah, gotta get that sweet sweet gov cloud money and hit sales bonus targets, but jesus I've never seen anyone handle the optics of a thing so piss poorly.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

oh neat 185 new posts in this thread in 3 hours! what's going on i wonder

I was really hoping for some good Zuck and Musk burns, but nope, it's like 4 people staying up all night screaming at each other about shoes.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

lol five years

here in AMERICA we have so many trumped-up prosecutions and ridiculous lawsuits that we get called every year, pretty much on the dot

twice a year if you were dumb and registered to vote separately from getting your driver's license (those are the two lists they draw from)

NYC you get a certificate that is good for seven years.

Sorry you live somewhere bad.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

graph posted:

lol an uber driver murdered their passenger last night

Uber needs to license Tesla's tech and reap those cost savings by taking humans out of the equation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

qirex posted:

who could have possibly predicted that helping create literal killbots would potentially create a pr backlash?

the more I hear about google the more I feel like their vaunted hiring and promotion system optimizes for incompetence

Cloud PA leadership is pretty much 100% staffed with ex- enterprise-y regional sales managers who care only about "sales number go up!!" and there's no bigger up making number that US DoD contracting.