Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
There's a new update over at RPS worth looking at: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/07/03/phoenix-point-second-backer-gameplay/

This looks like XCOM 2 minus 100% the dumb poo poo and I am very much okay with that

Asbury fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jul 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Yeah, that all looks really good. I like the "new" XCOM/XCOM2 games, and this looks like it expands on those in cool ways.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Bad news: According to a bespectacled alien, the game's been delayed from Q4 2018 to "June 2019".
I´m o.k with this since this is a title that I really want to have all the polish and love it can get before release.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

New trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qTArKX-DLg

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I went to launch the latest build and it had to update something but every time it does the launcher just shuts immediately after. Did this happen anyone else?

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Farrier Theaks posted:

This looks like XCOM 2 minus 100% the dumb poo poo and I am very much okay with that

I'm curious, what do you consider to be dumb poo poo in XCOM 2? I think the gameplay is pretty solid in XCOM 2, the only things I don't like is the way you have to play around the pod system and how important grenade spam is.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Minorkos posted:

I'm curious, what do you consider to be dumb poo poo in XCOM 2? I think the gameplay is pretty solid in XCOM 2, the only things I don't like is the way you have to play around the pod system and how important grenade spam is.

The story and tone, mostly. I picked up the XCOM reboot when it came out, never played anything like it before, and fell in love with the gameplay and general vibe. EW being such a major overhaul made me like the game even more.

XCOM 2, I think, is an improvement in every way except style. The gameplay is a blast (I even like the timer system), but the tone they took with the story is really jarring. It went from semi-serious military to completely superhero, and the expansions (weird clothing, super aliens from dr Vahlen, and sneering anime villains in the Chosen) didnt help.

I know its dumb to complain about that sort of thing, especially when the first game had psy powers, but from what I've seen so far, Phoenix Point seems more like XCOM 1 than 2 in tone, and I'm glad. Bitching aside, I've sunk probably 300 hours into XCOM 2; the gameplay is so much fun it's easy to look past the things I dont like about it. And Phoenix Point seems like everything I like about it and nothing I dont so hell yeah :getin:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Farrier Theaks posted:

I know its dumb to complain about that sort of thing, especially when the first game had psy powers, but from what I've seen so far, Phoenix Point seems more like XCOM 1 than 2 in tone, and I'm glad. Bitching aside, I've sunk probably 300 hours into XCOM 2; the gameplay is so much fun it's easy to look past the things I dont like about it. And Phoenix Point seems like everything I like about it and nothing I dont so hell yeah :getin:
nah dude this sounds very much like my comparison between Deus Ex 1 and DX2. yes, i know that objectively DX1 is the better game from about 18 different perspectives, but i've still replayed DX2 about a dozen times and DX1 only a small handful because DX2 is so easy and fun to pick up and play i can ignore the stupid story and just burn through the game in a lazy afternoon rather than spending an entire week navigating through DX1 again. the easier, bite-size chunks mean i probably have about a similar number of hours in them.

obviously the particulars are kind of different but the point is it's Okay to like a game less or more based on stuff that people would tell you misses the point

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Nov 24, 2018

singateco
Jan 28, 2013
Is PP going to be hard?

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Farrier Theaks posted:

The story and tone, mostly. I picked up the XCOM reboot when it came out, never played anything like it before, and fell in love with the gameplay and general vibe. EW being such a major overhaul made me like the game even more.

XCOM 2, I think, is an improvement in every way except style. The gameplay is a blast (I even like the timer system), but the tone they took with the story is really jarring. It went from semi-serious military to completely superhero, and the expansions (weird clothing, super aliens from dr Vahlen, and sneering anime villains in the Chosen) didnt help.

Yeah, that's fair. I've got a friend who adored Enemy Unknown, thought base XCOM 2 was okay, and then just finally lost all patience come War of the Chosen. He said the same thing as you: "It got too Superhero-y."

I mean, honestly? I don't agree, in that I felt like it was within reason. But it was maybe a little close to the line even for me, and I can very easily see how someone would feel that way. It's definitely a far cry from the days of OG XCOM, where even a Colonel could very easily have a bad day and wind up dead, and rookies had a very, very short life expectancy in general. There's something to be said for keeping things lethal. (Though conversely, I feel like Darkest Dungeon goes too far in the other direction, with entire runs being completely capable of getting sunk via nothing more than bad luck. Is that contradictory?)

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Yeah for all the hype about choices matter in XCOM2: War of the Chosen, the reality is that if you're in the mid game then a squadwipe of your a team means it's game over.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I'll be glad to have an XCOM again where brutal, extended firefights are a thing and losing troops is both inevitable and acceptable. I do like XCOM2 a lot, but the combat is pretty much a puzzle and having it extended over a longass campaign drags a lot.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Demiurge4 posted:

Yeah for all the hype about choices matter in XCOM2: War of the Chosen, the reality is that if you're in the mid game then a squadwipe of your a team means it's game over.

That really isn't true. Multiple squadwipes can take you out maybe but with the game pushing you towards having multiple squads with the fatigue system you have to be playing really poorly for one squadwipes to mean game over.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

toasterwarrior posted:

I'll be glad to have an XCOM again where brutal, extended firefights are a thing and losing troops is both inevitable and acceptable. I do like XCOM2 a lot, but the combat is pretty much a puzzle and having it extended over a longass campaign drags a lot.

Demiurge4 posted:

Backhand posted:

Yeah, that's fair. I've got a friend who adored Enemy Unknown, thought base XCOM 2 was okay, and then just finally lost all patience come War of the Chosen. He said the same thing as you: "It got too Superhero-y."

I mean, honestly? I don't agree, in that I felt like it was within reason. But it was maybe a little close to the line even for me, and I can very easily see how someone would feel that way. It's definitely a far cry from the days of OG XCOM, where even a Colonel could very easily have a bad day and wind up dead, and rookies had a very, very short life expectancy in general. There's something to be said for keeping things lethal. (Though conversely, I feel like Darkest Dungeon goes too far in the other direction, with entire runs being completely capable of getting sunk via nothing more than bad luck. Is that contradictory?)

Yeah. I mean, it all comes down to taste, and people like what they like (and I can't fault someone for liking the superhero gameplay, because it's legitimately fun). But my favorite part of the series is that really desperate early game where every option is a Sophie's Choice and you're limited in your solutions.

I really like the first twenty or so hours of DD, but it gets to be a drag because of your point - you lose whole hours of progress from a bad set of rolls. I get the :xcom: thing and I like it, but you can't ever really lose DD so much as get bored with it. From what I've been reading, it sounds like while permadeath is a thing in PP, there are also a lot of ways to mitigate it, and I think that's a good balance between the connection you feel for your crew in XCOM and the disposable hero take of DD.

Coolguye posted:

nah dude this sounds very much like my comparison between Deus Ex 1 and DX2. yes, i know that objectively DX1 is the better game from about 18 different perspectives, but i've still replayed DX2 about a dozen times and DX1 only a small handful because DX2 is so easy and fun to pick up and play i can ignore the stupid story and just burn through the game in a lazy afternoon rather than spending an entire week navigating through DX1 again. the easier, bite-size chunks mean i probably have about a similar number of hours in them.

obviously the particulars are kind of different but the point is it's Okay to like a game less or more based on stuff that people would tell you misses the point

I so rarely hear people say positive things about IW that this is blowing my mind :psyduck:

edit: which isn't to say I don't agree with you. IW isn't a good Deus Ex game (in fact the series seems to be running about 50% on being "good Deus Ex games") but it does have its charms.

Asbury fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Nov 24, 2018

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
I know this isnt about Phoenix Point but I just got into Into The Breach and wow

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Base-building reminds me of something like Dungeon Keeper's, which I hadn't realized.
https://phoenixpoint.info/blog/2019/1/22/phoenix-point-access-granted

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Game is delayed until September because they want to polish things and do more testing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y31EVpv8jv8

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

C.M. Kruger posted:

Game is delayed until September because they want to polish things and do more testing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y31EVpv8jv8
Sounds good to me since this is one game I do not want to be rushed out.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I... simply can't/won't be able to wait for this. September feels so long away. Hopefully there's going to be another step or two worth of pre-purchaser betas.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
I like polish, if some extra time makes the game better then I'm all for it. I'm an old gently caress, I've learned the value of patience.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Sylphosaurus posted:

Sounds good to me since this is one game I do not want to be rushed out.

No kidding. I'm so glad they're not rushing it. Julian owns.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Epic bought them out for 1 year exclusivity. Rip

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Sininu posted:

Epic bought them out for 1 year exclusivity. Rip

guess i'll be picking up the game after a year then because epic's privacy policy makes me extremely uncomfortable

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Goddammit.

I wonder how that exclusivity worked out for Metro? Judging by the fact that neither Deep Silver nor Epic have been crowing about its success, I'd wager "not too well."

SpacePope
Nov 9, 2009

They're offering refunds at the bottom of this page https://phoenixpoint.info/epicfaq

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

oh that faq is priceless

quote:

Why did you decide to distribute the game through the Epic Games Store?

Releasing a video game in today’s market is highly risky - our partnership with Epic Games greatly reduces this. After spending a lot of time considering all the possibilities, we came to an agreement with Epic Games to distribute Phoenix Point through their platform.
"they gave us a big burlap sack with a dollar sign crudely painted on the side so now we only have to sell a couple dozen copies to not fail completely."

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Goddamnit. Even if I wanted to buy stuff in EGS (I don't) I literally cannot because they don't accept chilean debit cards.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Coolguye posted:

guess i'll be picking up the game after a year then because epic's privacy policy makes me extremely uncomfortable

Same. I was really hopeful for this game, since X-COM 2 was such a disappointment for me. Pity.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
Well, if this game is more polished in September, think of how much more polished it will be after a year of patches!

Adnor posted:

Goddamnit. Even if I wanted to buy stuff in EGS (I don't) I literally cannot because they don't accept chilean debit cards.

drat, that sucks. Makes me feel petty for just passing on EGS so far since I don't want to have to bother with yet another content manager.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
haha you fools, i sold out months ago when hades came out

Orv
May 4, 2011

Coolguye posted:

oh that faq is priceless

"they gave us a big burlap sack with a dollar sign crudely painted on the side so now we only have to sell a couple dozen copies to not fail completely."

I mean it's entirely possible that Phoenix Point isn't going to have anywhere near the market that nuXCOM1/2 did, it feels like barely anyone knows it exists in the first place and it's not a terrible idea to get some financial stability on that front. That studio full of Looking Glass people that put out the new Ultima Underworld game, which granted is a bad game, is probably going to die because that thing sold like five copies (only a slight exaggeration) and System Shock 3 will never happen as a result.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Mordja posted:

Goddammit.

I wonder how that exclusivity worked out for Metro? Judging by the fact that neither Deep Silver nor Epic have been crowing about its success, I'd wager "not too well."

Metro got a huge surge in pre-orders when they announced they were going EGS exclusive but they were pre-orders on steam. I wish Phoenix Point at least went the Metro route and honored existing pre-orders and backers and gave them a steam/gog key.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I might just create a burner EGS account so it’s not as tied to me. I will probably just do the easy thing, though, and succumb.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Judging from the feedback on the unlisted announcement video it looks like this was a Good Idea.

Also the original fig campaign faq still has:

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

Subjunctive posted:

I might just create a burner EGS account so it’s not as tied to me. I will probably just do the easy thing, though, and succumb.

I don't blame anyone for not wanting to use the EGS but I get the feeling its going to be installed on all of our computers in three years anyway :shrug:

I don't think these exclusives are going to stop soon. Epic has infinite money and I don't blame devs at for accepting it. In fact, I'm glad they did. I'd rather have a guaranteed Phoenix Point 2: Bigger and Betterer in 2022 than Phoenix Point 1 on Steam in 2019 and then the studio go under. The failure of Prey (2017) broke me on that front.

And Phoenix Point is breaking me on this one. I want to play it Day 1, so I will be installing the Epic Game Store in order to do so. Well played Epic.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
14 new comments holy moly have they released some more content...

:sad:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
EGS gives out really good free games every month thus far, so refusing to get it out of some principled :argh: protest is loving stupid.

It's not going anywhere, your boycott won't do poo poo, and you're basically missing out on free poo poo out of stubbornness.

Just install it and play the game, jfc.

singateco
Jan 28, 2013
Actually EGS is still a Fortnite launcher in my country and I can't even get free games without VPN, so I don't even know I will be able to enter product key when I recieve it. I literally don't have a menu for it.

So, gently caress off. I will refund.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Fuzz posted:

It's not going anywhere, your boycott won't do poo poo, and you're basically missing out on free poo poo out of stubbornness.

And how long has 'the man' been contracting your services?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brick Shipment
Jun 22, 2009

I don't mind Steam competition, but everyone I know who uses EGS says they get a never ending stream of password reset requests they didn't ask for and I don't want to associate something I throw payment info into with my spam email account. Not even getting into its security issues.