Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Alchenar posted:

No the game has all the hallmarks of Gollop's design philosophy. It's absolutely Apocalypse Take Two, and it's weird saviour clutching at straws to suggest that Gollop was somehow uninvolved and his second coming is still possible.

Yeah this game definitely is Gollop. Like yes, his orig stuff was phenomenal for its time! but he has learned nothing in the years since

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Yeah in Apocalypse it was forgivable that you could win every non-objective map by standing still and hitting full speed because the aliens were programmed to run at you. We're 20 years on though and expectations are higher.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

Alchenar posted:

No the game has all the hallmarks of Gollop's design philosophy. It's absolutely Apocalypse Take Two, and it's weird saviour clutching at straws to suggest that Gollop was somehow uninvolved and his second coming is still possible.
I'll take my weird opinion over a naive opinion any day.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

nnnotime posted:

I'll take my weird opinion over a naive opinion any day.

Ah yes, naive to not believe in bizarre conspiracy theories that have no evidence in their favor and don't make any sense. Why would Gollop farming the development of the game out create a game that feels outdated? Most people in the videogame industry are 30 years younger than him and if they were to do a phoned in design they'd probably copy nu-XCOM more than Gollop's early work.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I was wondering if I should get into this because the factions seemed like a lot of fun.

A shame the gameplay seems to be utter balls.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Josef bugman posted:

I was wondering if I should get into this because the factions seemed like a lot of fun.

A shame the gameplay seems to be utter balls.

It’s fuckin’ awful. Maybe the DLC fixes things, but probably not.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

We got notes for the patch released today:

quote:

Please find the patch notes for the game balance changes in the March 4th patch.

This patch rolls out across the base game and is not part of, nor does it require the Blood and Titanium DLC.

Release notes for Blood and Titanium will follow later.

Armor Changes

Acid damage application now works like poison (the acid damage is subtracted from the armor each turn and then the amount of damage is reduced by 10). This increases the potency of acid by a lot but is still not a one shot mechanic.
Re-adjusted acid values on different items to match the new damage application.
Shred on weapons is increased across the board with notable mentions of Assault Rifles having base shred of 1 so that they are no longer ineffective against armor. Grenades will now have 10 Shred up from 3. Shred for the Pandorans is not increased but this change will affect human enemies.

Weapon Rebalancing

Odin Grenade - Shredding changed from 3 to 10
Purification Grenade - Added 5 Shredding
Ares AR-1 - Added 1 Shredding
Hel II Cannon - Shredding changed from 10 to 20
Goliath GL-2 - Shredding changed from 4 to 10
Gemini V - Shredding changed from 4 to 20
Bulldog AR-50 - Added 1 Shredding
VDM Defender - Added 1 Shredding
Deceptor MG - Shredding changed from 2 to 3
Fury-2 - Shredding changed from 4 to 10
Watcher AT - Shredding changed from 2 to 3
Hailstorm GT - Shredding changed from 2 to 5
Thor AML - Shredding changed from 6 to 20
Archangel RL1 - Shredding changed from 5 to 15
Mjolnir Grenade - Shredding changed from 20 to 30
Destiny III - Damage changed from 60 to 80
Ragnarok - Shredding changed from 30 to 40
Dagon’s Tooth - Damage changed from 100 to 120
Scion of Sharur - Damage changed from 80 to 100
Marduk’s Fist - Damage changed from 140 to 160
Imhullu Grenade - Acid changed from 50 to 20
Nergal’s Wrath - Added 10 Shredding
Redeemer - Viral changed from 3 to 5
Subjugator - Viral changed from 6 to 10
SDeimos AR-L - Added 1 Shredding
Hera NP-1 - Paralysing changed from 5 to 7
Yggdrasil Grenade - Virophage changed from 40 to 60
Gungnir SR-2 - Virophage changed from 60 to 110
Athena NS-2 - Paralysing changed from 15 to 20
Yat AR - Added 1 Shredding
Uragan MG - Shredding changed from 2 to 3
Venom Torso Arm Mutation- Changed Damage from 30 to 40 and changed Poisonous from 40 to 50.

Evolution System

The evolution system progression was advancing too rapidly from tactical battles and less from with time - we are changing this to be weighted more towards the time component making the whole progression a bit smoother.
We are adding a difficulty component to evolution progression effectively slowing down Pandoran evolution (encountering elite units) for easier difficulties.

ODI

We have made changes to the ODI to increase the pressure on higher difficulties.
If the player does nothing to stop the pandorans:
Easy - The game should end in 6 months ingame
Normal- The game should end in 5 months ingame
Hard - The game should end in 4 months ingame
Very Hard- The game should end in 3 months ingame

Dynamic Difficulty

Changed the way mission success/fail is evaluated.
Change the expected outcome in favor of the player.
These changes mean that the player performance during missions will need to be higher (fewer casualties) for the difficulty to increase.
Changed the effect of Dynamic Difficulty based on game difficulty (On Easy it will be much more forgiving).

Training and Soldier Progression

Soldiers will gain fewer Skill Points (SP) when they level up (20 down from 50) but will gain 10 SP for every successful mission.
This will make soldiers levelled solely with training facility less efficient then battle experienced soldiers.
Soldiers will continue to receive SP even at max level making maxing out a souldier possible (it will still take a lot of missions to do so).

Pandorans

Tritons will be able to use Priest weapons (Viral Weapons).
New acid mortar Chiron body part.
New normal/elite acid grenade launcher bodypart for Arthrons.
New normal/elite viral machine gun launcher bodypart for Arthrons.

Phoenix Base Attacks

You will now have a minimum of 12 hours to prepare and respond to an attack on one of your bases.

Stealth

Enemies are revealed in 5 tile radius (if they’re in LOS).
Attacking without a silent weapon reveals the actor if in LOS.

Factions and Missions

New subfaction - The Forsaken
Appears after Anu researches the mutation tech .
Can have all classes Anu have unlocked.
Can have all weapons Anu have unlocked.
Missions
Forsaken can appear in Havens attack missions of all factions.
Forsaken can appear in scavenging missions and ambushes.
Anu/NJ/Syn can appear in scavenging and ambush missions if at bad relations with the Phoenix Project and if they Havens close to the site.
Factions War
Reduced the rate of attacks.

Controls

Enabled rebindable keys.

Bug Fixes

Fixed a hang when using Electrical Reinforcement on certain maps.
Fixed a hang when loading certain saves for the Microsoft Store platform.
Fixed a hang when a Scylla uses the Mist Bomb ability.
Fixed an issue where Facilities were powered off after loading a save.
Fixed an issue where an Exit Zone was sometimes placed in the middle of the map.
Fixed an issue where Adrenaline Rush’s effects were duplicated when loading a save in the Tactical layer.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Well, I have no idea if any of that is good, but the amount of it is promising. :P

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Memnaelar posted:

Well, I have no idea if any of that is good, but the amount of it is promising. :P

there's still a lot of work that needs to be done but all of the changes are good, IMO

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

the fact that they're continuing to tweak it and play around with basically every facet of the system is very cool and good. I've been sporadically playing the game and enjoying it, but I know a lot of people had higher expectations and were disappointed by it on release so I don't blame anyone who wants to wait awhile to dive into it.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
oh, also here's the DLC reveal video

I didn't have time to watch but it has a developer commentating and i think it might also talk about balance changes? not sure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeefWt83B8s

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

So biotics are not only supper costly, but they're also huge resource sinks just to maintain. Doesn't really sound worth it since they're not powerful.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

Meh.

No changes to willpower, at all.

Adding tons of shredding is a big kick in the pants to the big boys but you're still just better off chain-sniping the little guys.

Big systemic nerf to levels to rein in the training facility is also a big kick in the balls to iron man, since its far harder to replace experienced troops when most of your SP comes from missions. They coulda just nerfed the training facility directly, or maybe made recruitment not suck.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Yeah I'm kinda disappointed that bionics require a lot of resources to maintain and that the things they offer aren't that huge. The juggernaut cyberware seems decent, being able to push down walls and everything, but I have no idea why they couldn't have just made the shield a normal equipment ability or like an item with a 1AP deploy cost.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
The "repair at base" stuff makes me think that the bionic parts will be way more durable, maybe outpacing heavy armor. I think that'd be a good way to implement it - you can get a few very powerful soldiers but they cost a lot to make and are a constant drain on resources so you can't just have an entire squad of cyborgs. I guess i'll have to wait and see how it works in the game.

I'm also curious about the balance patch that I think will be coming out at the same time as the DLC. Unless I'm misremembering the announcement and the balance patch is the same one that just came out.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I've come back to this since the DLC. The game still isn't a revolutionary XCOM beater, but they've smoothed out the frustrating elements and improved performance a bit. It's now an interesting dive into what turn based tactics looks like if you continue down the road of Apocalypse design philosophy.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Is this available outside of the Epic store yet?

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Elephant Ambush posted:

I think one year from its original release.

Edit: forgot about GamePass! In part because I literally forget that exists. But I believe 1 year is the time for other stores, i.e. Steam.

Akratic Method fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Mar 23, 2020

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
what an amazing time limit, because no one played this game after the week it was released

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Elephant Ambush posted:

It's on xbox pc game pass.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Haha, okay past the first couple of hours the game still introduces incredible bullshit.

Yes Julian, grenade launchers are a thing in combat. No, a weapon in your TBS game that can hit almost any square on the map without needing LOS is not a good idea.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Kanos posted:

It's on xbox pc game pass.

It was on Game Pass within days of release, which kind of feels like a dick move for a kickstarted game.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It was on Game Pass within days of release, which kind of feels like a dick move for a kickstarted game.

It wasn't days, it was long enough that I completely lost interest waiting between release and it going up on game pass.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Knobb Manwich posted:

It wasn't days, it was long enough that I completely lost interest waiting between release and it going up on game pass.

It was supposed to go up day-of-release, IIRC, but there were a bunch of technical problems. It was definitely within a week or two.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I've been hearing that this game has been fixing its issues, is it worth taking a look at now or does it still suck?

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

SirSamVimes posted:

I've been hearing that this game has been fixing its issues, is it worth taking a look at now or does it still suck?

Really depends on what your problem is with the game. They are changing some of the OP and unintuitive mechanics like training center spam, unlimited dashing. The latest DLC added some new armor parts and sub-faction that uses them. I'd say wait for a whole year until all the planned season 1 DLC come out.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

SirSamVimes posted:

I absolutely love it even at this arguably shaky stage. If you're like me and the only reason you're not still playing XCOM2 is you already played it for 500+ hours, I'd go for it. Otherwise, maybe wait until it comes out on Steam at the end of the year.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Ms Adequate posted:

tbf we remember the failures but backing sometimes results in good games too. I don't regret backing FTL or Pillars of Eternity as examples.

the only game i ever kickstarted was barkley 2 :(

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

I also jumped back in with the release of first DLC. Whatever change they made to difficulty scaling made it so enemies don't instantly have full body armor and actually makes the game playable. I had a pretty good time with it, although I did cheat engined through all but my first lair mission, and cheat engined through several base defenses at the end, aaaaaand the final mission. At that point I knew my time with the game was over and if I spent any more time with it past that point I'd hate it, so I just got the first ending that showed up. I was allied 100% with my Anrcho-Syndicalist buds but they never gave me an option to get their ending, so I just said gently caress Humanity and poisoned the whole world.

It feels like the most Lovecraft inspired stuff was the opening and the reveal of what the nature of the threat is. I'm a sucker for people mysteriously walking into The Fog Drawn By A Siren Call so I was a little disappointed most the game took place after the functional end of the world. Still, there was some pretty decent writing at times. Shame about the game being the way it is.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Sorry to bump this thread again, but I just wanted to warn people to stay away. Despite the mediocre reviews I bought and played 90 minutes to keep me within the Epic refund threshhold, and just... ugh. I don't know what I expected.

I have easily 1000 hours between the original x-com trilogy and the two new ones. I've played through the AfterX series, Xenonauts, even janky Project Xenocide when it still existed. This is the worst game in the genre I have played to date. Nothing about it sucked me in. Killing enemies wasn't satisfying, the game looks bad (which isn't even something I normally care about), and the sense of managing a team of "your dudes" that you develop personalities for and care about just isn't there.

I'll admit I'll probably try it again when I can buy it for 10$ on Steam with a couple years of patches and DLC, but right now it's not worth even the 30$ they want for it.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
It’s on Xbox Game Pass so you can play it for a month for $1 or whatever the current promo is.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
so i'm playing this on xbox game pass and uh apparently my saves are already corrupted? lol nice work gollop. I load in and everything is NEEDS TEXT NEEDS TEXT NEEDS TEXT. lolwut.

E: apparently, on the windows store version/xgp version, if you alter your keybindings it breaks the game when you open it the next time.

SpookyLizard fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Apr 21, 2020

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Decided to try to jump back in and it's... better than it was before, but still has a lot of touches of amateurism (how do cutscenes still have typos in their subtitles?) and weird-rear end design, both procedurally and logically.

Procedurally, I had my first nest set up so that LITERALLY both of the bosses were within sniper line of site from the jump. Level started, I shot them both thinking that there had to be one more deeper in, but NOPE. Done. Cool, I guess.

Logically, I just did the first DLC mission which requires you to steal some info from some terminals owned by New Jericho. At first I played super-cautiously, as the guards have some huge guns and can easily mow down your squad if you're reckless. And then, on a lark, I decided to rush the objectives and see about just hacking all the terminals on round 2. I thought I'd at least have to extract my guys and expected a bloody struggle back to the EZ... but no, mission over as soon as I sat on the last flashing square. WEIRD.

There's just a lot of that -- tons of attention to detail on nuances that maybe don't matter, but then complete loss of focus on the stuff that does. Nobody NEEDS to see the fancy PP jet fly into the LZ if you don't see the soldiers inside of it -- it's the soldiers that matter, not your mediocre render of a Manticore.

*sigh* I kinda want to stick with it just to be able to speak more educatedly about the game and make sure I'm not jumping to opinions, but part of me is considering just putting it back on the backburner and waiting for all of the DLC to release before really giving it a shot. There IS a lot of fun there and I'm digging it as an alternative to Troubleshooter, but there's a lot to turn a blind eye to in terms of bad design decisions, questionable UI, shallow story, etc.

TheLoneAmigo
Jan 3, 2013

SpookyLizard posted:

so i'm playing this on xbox game pass and uh apparently my saves are already corrupted? lol nice work gollop. I load in and everything is NEEDS TEXT NEEDS TEXT NEEDS TEXT. lolwut.

E: apparently, on the windows store version/xgp version, if you alter your keybindings it breaks the game when you open it the next time.

Or you could just play Gears Tactics, a much better Xcomalike on XBOX Games Pass made by the design geniuses who brought us the multiplayer component of DOOM 3.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Gears Tactics is a shitload of fun. I did not expect to like it nearly as much as I did. Very dynamic gameplay that gives you a lot of interesting options. It’s basically reverse Pheonix Point.

TheLoneAmigo
Jan 3, 2013

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Gears Tactics is a shitload of fun. I did not expect to like it nearly as much as I did. Very dynamic gameplay that gives you a lot of interesting options. It’s basically reverse Pheonix Point.

After playing Phoenix Point, it felt liberating. They threw out anything about the XCOM formula that didn't fit.

Unlike PP, which combines a kitchen-sink design philosophy with an ironclad requirement not to piss off nostalgic fans of a 1994 videogame that few people have actually played in the past 20 years.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

GT started off so so well but really loses it by the end. Only what, 4 mission types? Loot and upgrade system is just plain bad and its more efficient to recruit new guys than build up squaddies you've projected some character onto.

A shame, when I first started playing I was loving it so much '... This, this is the dawn of war 3 that could have been'.

Someone make a 40k xcom. (aside from Mechanicus)

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah, gears tactics reeks of "we can do better" and i kinda hope it gets a sequel, i know it won't though, sadly.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
just think if gollop had decided to make this but hadn't been asleep in a hibernation chamber for 30 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

TheLoneAmigo posted:

Or you could just play Gears Tactics, a much better Xcomalike on XBOX Games Pass made by the design geniuses who brought us the multiplayer component of DOOM 3.

the surprising quality of gears tactics does not take away from the fact that if you dont use stock leybinds in phoenix point it BREAKS THE loving GAME