Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

dogstile posted:

Man I really enjoy all of the mechanics in Phoenix Point (Raiding, the aiming, etc). It's a shame its got no soul. I'm not invested at all.

The final missions are utter bullshit and the progression sucks too. I enjoyed like 15 hours of the game, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
The game should start you with two teams and two transports.

They could be half in infirmary (or brig) or one transport is under repair - whatever.

So much time wasted for dudes to get that skill you want - have that faction like you just a bit more - waiting few more days for transfer.

Anything to speed up game and present identifiable objectives is all I think this game needs.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Cracker King posted:

The game should start you with two teams and two transports.

They could be half in infirmary (or brig) or one transport is under repair - whatever.

So much time wasted for dudes to get that skill you want - have that faction like you just a bit more - waiting few more days for transfer.

Anything to speed up game and present identifiable objectives is all I think this game needs.

It is super baffling you don't start with two teams and two transports since even the original XCOM got that right, and NuCOM does it as well.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

Xenonauts 2 demo out on Steam. They'll be opening a free public beta in March. A new steam feature for playtests, apparently.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Xenonauts 2 demo out on Steam. They'll be opening a free public beta in March. A new steam feature for playtests, apparently.

Any clue if this demo is the same, old GOG one?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I wanted to like xenonauts since I loved the original XCom but it just didn’t work for me. Got closer than Pheonix point did at least.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

its hard for me to go back to the old xcom games, and xenonauts to a smaller extent, because i can't stand the AP system in these games anymore.

gently caress having characters with 60+ AP every round, just make it either a 2 actions per turn system or go with something like battle brothers, where all your units have 9 AP a round.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The one thing Phoenix Point did really well is it's AP system. I like it way more than nuCom's system.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I love/Hate AP systems because of how much they end up skewed around working up from your lovely stats when up against enemies who get free handouts so even your most speedy guys never feel "Fast"

Less granular tactical franchise, but the Shadowrun Returns games were often throw that around the deeper into each game you got.

"Just spam the haste spell and NPC only cooldown +AP skills. If anything player AP drain moves are overpowered!"
"My stun gun can't stun enemies anymore unless I stuff cocaine up my nose to be able to reload and fire it multiple times a turn."

I like AP systems when working your way up them feels like a REWARD, instead of essentially meeting par or allowing classes to function in the first place while as the world around you keeps raising the enemy AP bar for free.

If could be janky as gently caress in old X-Com, but at least the top end felt like you had earned something with soldiers learning to do their best A-Team impressions.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Feb 5, 2021

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

JA2 1.13 gets pretty close to something that feels good despite obviously not being what the original game made. It is a bit inscrutable since it is an old game, an old game for turbo-grognards, and a mod for the old game by old-turbo-grognards. They set the AP to be about 100ish for each person and it can increase or decrease based on the situation. Big slow characters can maybe move, 15 tiles with their 100 ap whereas fast ones can move like, 45 tiles. Also when they move they play the animation really fast so it looks like they're just hauling rear end.

I think on first glance it is hard to tell how far someone can move just based on their AP, you really need to get to know each character and their stats which does increase the amount of number crunching the player has to do. Works for something that is vaguely simulationist.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
I hate AP because I am prone to misclicks, so I end up having to savescum all the time because I accidentally right clicked and changed the facing of my guy, which drained him 3 AP and now I can't take a critical shot.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I wanted to like xenonauts since I loved the original XCom but it just didn’t work for me. Got closer than Pheonix point did at least.

Xenonauts is the only one to have a fun air-game.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Arven posted:

I hate AP because I am prone to misclicks, so I end up having to savescum all the time because I accidentally right clicked and changed the facing of my guy, which drained him 3 AP and now I can't take a critical shot.

I do think that many of these games with AP should have a small rewind feature that lets you start your turn over up until you take a shot or something, so that you don't get hosed up by those little misclicks. It could get funky when it comes to movement and scouting, but if its just my guy changing stances a handful of times I think it is a pain in the rear end to get punished for shuffling around too much. Maybe this is just an inelegant solution to the a problem more core to AP systems though.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Is there anything actually new in Xenonauts 2 beyond the visuals?

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
i thought the AP in silent storm worked well enough

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

MiddleOne posted:

Is there anything actually new in Xenonauts 2 beyond the visuals?

New alien types and a slightly different method of operation - this time the war is more covert and X-Files starting out so the early missions are all about dealing with alien infiltrators in government and dealing with collaborators, though iirc later on it goes more in the direction of Xeno 1.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Wrr posted:

JA2 1.13 gets pretty close to something that feels good despite obviously not being what the original game made. It is a bit inscrutable since it is an old game, an old game for turbo-grognards, and a mod for the old game by old-turbo-grognards. They set the AP to be about 100ish for each person and it can increase or decrease based on the situation. Big slow characters can maybe move, 15 tiles with their 100 ap whereas fast ones can move like, 45 tiles. Also when they move they play the animation really fast so it looks like they're just hauling rear end.

I think on first glance it is hard to tell how far someone can move just based on their AP, you really need to get to know each character and their stats which does increase the amount of number crunching the player has to do. Works for something that is vaguely simulationist.

I liked 1.13 more before they did the AP revamp but I probably didn’t give it a fair shot after, I should go back and give it another go.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Section Z posted:

I love/Hate AP systems because of how much they end up skewed around working up from your lovely stats when up against enemies who get free handouts so even your most speedy guys never feel "Fast"

Less granular tactical franchise, but the Shadowrun Returns games were often throw that around the deeper into each game you got.

"Just spam the haste spell and NPC only cooldown +AP skills. If anything player AP drain moves are overpowered!"
"My stun gun can't stun enemies anymore unless I stuff cocaine up my nose to be able to reload and fire it multiple times a turn."

I like AP systems when working your way up them feels like a REWARD, instead of essentially meeting par or allowing classes to function in the first place while as the world around you keeps raising the enemy AP bar for free.

If could be janky as gently caress in old X-Com, but at least the top end felt like you had earned something with soldiers learning to do their best A-Team impressions.

Something really great about the old AP system is how it allowed for those one in a million type scenarios that make for memorable moments like when your entire squad is dead, the rookie that 5 turns ago pissed himself and ran into the hills without his gun finally got his poo poo together, picked up a downed comrade’s rifle, and single handedly stormed a ufo and killed every last alien through sheer luck and iron balls. Like you can’t do that in nucom bc the lack of granularity means that once you’re down to one rookie vs a full alien squad, it’s just mathematically impossible for him to put out enough firepower and perform enough tasks to win on his own.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Psycho Landlord posted:

New alien types and a slightly different method of operation - this time the war is more covert and X-Files starting out so the early missions are all about dealing with alien infiltrators in government and dealing with collaborators, though iirc later on it goes more in the direction of Xeno 1.

Oh, that sounds cool!

I was a tad underwhelmed browsing the steam page considering it's been a staggering 7 years since release.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

FrancisFukyomama posted:

Something really great about the old AP system is how it allowed for those one in a million type scenarios that make for memorable moments like when your entire squad is dead, the rookie that 5 turns ago pissed himself and ran into the hills without his gun finally got his poo poo together, picked up a downed comrade’s rifle, and single handedly stormed a ufo and killed every last alien through sheer luck and iron balls. Like you can’t do that in nucom bc the lack of granularity means that once you’re down to one rookie vs a full alien squad, it’s just mathematically impossible for him to put out enough firepower and perform enough tasks to win on his own.
I am also fond of "Enough barely adequate fodder picks up the slack for when your ace heavy rocket soldier and laser HWP fail to take out the first Chrysalid you've ever seen with direct hits"

New and "Faithful recreations" really, REALLY hate your D team soldiers being anything but failures and casualties, rather than an angry swarm of mostly effective bodyguards for your premium assets. Hell of a lot more natural way to get some soldier rotations than 'uh... they are tired/stressed!' for the ones making it out without needing a trip to the hospital.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Feb 6, 2021

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I miss rookies equipped with nothing but a High Explosive.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Jack Trades posted:

I miss rookies equipped with nothing but a High Explosive.
But what about the handgun/laser pistol for if they survive opening the door to a UFO for the rest of the team :ohdear:

...It explains a lot that the first time I beat classic X-Com, was when one of my guys was mind controlled into the big brain room and was driven berserk by mutons(?) trying and failing to shoot him to death.

The aliens clearly got bored with me trying to coddle my rookies... Well, as much as you can with anyone running around with armed explosives in hand.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

In old XCOM, rookies are just ablative armor for officers. That gameplay style is what eventually leads to amazing hero moments. You just don't get those incredible peaks and valleys in any other game I've found in the genre.

Almost done with a terror mission I was doing super well in, an alien missed shooting my dude from about a screen away. The shot went wide, traveled across the whole map, through the perfectly lined up windows of two buildings, and domed a civvie. It didn't matter in the mission at all but its like, I can't even be mad I'm glad that crazy poo poo can happen and is part what makes the original special.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

This game is on sale right now, so I decided to pick it up. I've seen a little bit of gameplay video in the past, but pretty sure I'm going to squad wipe on my first mission.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

binge crotching posted:

This game is on sale right now, so I decided to pick it up. I've seen a little bit of gameplay video in the past, but pretty sure I'm going to squad wipe on my first mission.

Ehhh, it’s not that hard, it’s just obtuse as gently caress.

Take most of the heavy armor off your big gun guys btw, it tanks their accuracy to the point of uselessness early on.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Take most of the heavy armor off your big gun guys btw, it tanks their accuracy to the point of uselessness early on.

The fact that it has extreme newbie traps like that sure is a thing. Do they even know how their own game works?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

The base heavy looks to be designed to fight big monsters, where accuracy isn't as big of a deal and the jetpack is pretty useful (in theory ). Too bad you don't fight any big monsters for ages

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

The base heavy looks to be designed to fight big monsters, where accuracy isn't as big of a deal and the jetpack is pretty useful (in theory ). Too bad you don't fight any big monsters for ages

I mean, that's why I questioned if they ever actually played their own game.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Kchama posted:

I mean, that's why I questioned if they ever actually played their own game.
Creators and fans alike often glorify all inconvenient elements of games as "Oldschool" and act like every bit of happy QoL they created with their own hands is a tragic accident or something to ignore because it does not fit their current artistic vision :v:

You can't even suggest "Maybe your overall pretty easy sonic clone's top cause of death in the final level wouldn't be air juggle hitstun, if you had proper mercy invincibility like a real sonic game" without people flipping their poo poo such a thing doesn't belong in real authentic oldschool gameplay. It is bonkers.

So what hope does the Dead Rookie Simulator genre have by comparison, for ensuring your initial heavy soldier loadout loving rules and gets the job done even with poo poo accuracy classic X-com autocannon firing line style?

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Section Z posted:

Dead Rookie Simulator

Inshallah that will be the new name for tactics games with randomized characters and permadeath.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

He does seem useless so far, but I have 5 assaults and a sniper that are tearing poo poo up. I've benched my heavy for now, but if I can get more armor built I'll give it to him.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Section Z posted:

Creators and fans alike often glorify all inconvenient elements of games as "Oldschool" and act like every bit of happy QoL they created with their own hands is a tragic accident or something to ignore because it does not fit their current artistic vision :v:

You can't even suggest "Maybe your overall pretty easy sonic clone's top cause of death in the final level wouldn't be air juggle hitstun, if you had proper mercy invincibility like a real sonic game" without people flipping their poo poo such a thing doesn't belong in real authentic oldschool gameplay. It is bonkers.

So what hope does the Dead Rookie Simulator genre have by comparison, for ensuring your initial heavy soldier loadout loving rules and gets the job done even with poo poo accuracy classic X-com autocannon firing line style?

It's weird that they took so much inspiration from NuXCOM in terms of presentation and stuff but actually taking good gameplay lessons like "Maybe all the starting characters should be equipped to actually function at all" was a dazzling step too far.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Well, this explains a lot why they've only been barely adding in all the stuff promised for launch.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Kchama posted:

It's weird that they took so much inspiration from NuXCOM in terms of presentation and stuff but actually taking good gameplay lessons like "Maybe all the starting characters should be equipped to actually function at all" was a dazzling step too far.

Love getting base-invaded and my recruits not having any weapons despite the warehouse being full. Great gameplay. So rewarding.

Kchama posted:

Well, this explains a lot why they've only been barely adding in all the stuff promised for launch.

I mean what else should be expected after the Epic deal.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Wonder if that DLC coming out in a few weeks is gonna fix any of the bigger QoL issues

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'm still hoping that maybe after the DLCs they'll spend some time to actually refine the game, because there's a great game in there somewhere.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

what's been added recently, anyway? last I played was when there were special resources from antediluvian sites to make the best "ancient" weapons. did they ever or will they ever implement things like colossal pandorans wandering the world map?

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

I watched the movie Underwater the other day and I got some major XCOM TFTD vibes once they put on their dive suits, and it occurred to me the movie would have been 10x better if it was just XCOM: TFTD - The Movie, with TJ Miller starring as the rookie with 10 bravery and an auto cannon with HE rounds.

caedwalla
Nov 1, 2007

the eye has it

World War Mammories posted:

what's been added recently, anyway? last I played was when there were special resources from antediluvian sites to make the best "ancient" weapons. did they ever or will they ever implement things like colossal pandorans wandering the world map?

I think the next dlc is adding a gigantic wandering pandoran that launches aircraft you can dogfight. I'm sure their implementation of air battles will be world class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

This is actually less of a big deal now the autocannon he starts with doesn't just fire once. Still not ideal, but its fun.