Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

A wing of three corsairs has the fastest TTK on battleships and the like ingame (barring the fury of course) and enough armor to tank the one big hit they'll take on the way in.

Marauders are safer and therefore better of course, but before those are available Corsairs are incredibly strong. Just need to micro them a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Might be interesting for people here, CristopherOdd is starting a new Xcom2 LP with a ton of mods including some big overhauls:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5NqnIXZOak

This also makes me wonder, how did LWOTC turn out? I really liked LW for Xcom EU, but LW2 didn't click with me as much. Something about the Haven focus maybe. I like having more and harder enemies with more tools to deal with them and more strategic layer stuff though.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

LWOTC is far better than base Xcom2, aside from the beginning of the game being a bit overstuffed with things to do. Though you can integrate the DLC to help with that.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
gently caress me the Ancient Guardians are tedious to fight.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

That entire mechanic looked really grindy so I never hosed with it.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Psycho Landlord posted:

That entire mechanic looked really grindy so I never hosed with it.

Well, to be fair, unless you're trying to outfit everyone with Ancient weapons, you only really need six of those excavation sites, and those weapons are really powerful. They're a lot stronger than others of their class, and require no ammunition. So at least I don't regret going through those odious fights to secure the sites.

I'm still enjoying the game overall, eventhough some parts are... less than optimal. At least I don't have to fight loving Scyllas in every haven defence mission like at launch. :shepface:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Nordick posted:

gently caress me the Ancient Guardians are tedious to fight.

Hated them. Everything hits like bricks, takes forever to kill and it just goes on and on. It feels like one of those old extra hard challenge bosses stewed away in some corner of an old JRPG, only this is not a JRPG but an XCOM clone.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Did they fix any of the core issues in the last patch/dlc?

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

So I never got around to playing this game after hearing about how bad it was at launch. Does anyone have any thoughts on whether it's worth getting into now?

My other options on the table are Xenonauts and LWotC, but Long War 2 was such a slog for me after 40 or 50 hours of repetitive mission spam that I'm a little loathe to go back to XCom.

Xenonauts looks interesting and the sequel seems like it's not so far off, so if Phoenix Point is still bad I might try it out. I really enjoyed the ancient XCom games before the newer iterations and I've heard it harkens back to them a little more.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Tosk posted:

So I never got around to playing this game after hearing about how bad it was at launch. Does anyone have any thoughts on whether it's worth getting into now?

My other options on the table are Xenonauts and LWotC, but Long War 2 was such a slog for me after 40 or 50 hours of repetitive mission spam that I'm a little loathe to go back to XCom.

Xenonauts looks interesting and the sequel seems like it's not so far off, so if Phoenix Point is still bad I might try it out. I really enjoyed the ancient XCom games before the newer iterations and I've heard it harkens back to them a little more.

I think LWOTC has a debug autoresolve function that’s enabled through the INI that might help with those routine missions that you don’t want to do. Apparently it’s buried pretty deep because it’s buggy and there’s not much documentation so I’m not sure how well it works with the current LWOTC version.

LWOTC is basically complete aside from last minute bug fixes/balancing and one release away from the big final workshop release

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Tosk posted:

It's fine for the first 20 hours and then turns into a tedious worthless slog.

So try it but remember to bail if it stops being fun.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Xenonauts is basically the closest thing to classic x-com but that does mean you need to deal with TUs again, as well as a somewhat clunky interface (IIRC It's like built on same engine as Diner Dash and isn't a particularly good one).

LWotC is fine but it is extremely long so there might be some mission fatigue (generally you'll be doing 100+ missions before you finish a campaign). In general I don't think the chosen were a good addition to Xcom but that's a matter of personal taste.

RoyalScion fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Nov 18, 2021

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

MiddleOne posted:

It's fine for the first 20 hours and then turns into a tedious worthless slog.

So try it but remember to bail if it stops being fun.

Yeah this sums it up.

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011
If he made it through Long War 2 he should be fine. Phoenix Point is a wonky, and repetitive game but it isn't half as terrible a slog as LW2 is. Definitely a pick it up during a sale only kind of game though.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I don't think Phoenix Point is entirely irredeemable, but there are a lot of bad decisions here.

Did make me hyped up for Xenonauts 2 though.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Official mod support is coming, which is great bc I genuinely like the core gameplay of Phoenix point, but stuff like all research projects being sidegrades and soldiers being tankier than even reboot Xcom troops really took away from the Xcom feeling of the game and, since they were fundamental design choices, were never going to be changed by updates/patches

Here’s hoping we can get a long war level overhaul and get a reasonable Xcom game out of this

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Lol the initial visceral reaction to "phoenix point but long war" was terrifying. A game that plays out over millennia.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Eediot Jedi posted:

Lol the initial visceral reaction to "phoenix point but long war" was terrifying. A game that plays out over millennia.
Less the length and more the simulationist gameplay mechanics. the tactical layer could really use some more choice, the PP classes are not really very interesting and there not really being much of a stat system makes individual soldiers indistinguishable. I think PP gives every soldier the exact same firing accuracy, perks aside, which is pretty disappointing for an xcomlike
A long war style under the hood simulated economy for faction bases/aliens would be nice, since apparently while the framework exists, PP never actually finished it. Would make the faction wars feel like actual wars with a real ebb and flow to them

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Yeah the foundation of the game mechanics are all really good and it would be really interesting to see a team take all that and go in a very different direction with regards to content to the one that Gollop took the game in.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Is it possible to play with air turned on without slogging through that bullshit map every game?

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Alchenar posted:

Yeah the foundation of the game mechanics are all really good and it would be really interesting to see a team take all that and go in a very different direction with regards to content to the one that Gollop took the game in.
I'm still disappointed that we didn't start out as a bunch of scrappy survivors with cobbled together equipment as they showed in the first teaser trailers.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I've dived back into the campaign and everything is definitely a ton more polished than it was at release. Still suffers a bit from 'you only understand how the campaign works after you've played it'. I'd recommend it on sale to anyone with the XCOM itch who is looking to see how the different design philosophy plays out and is willing to accept that it isn't ultimately as good.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Sylphosaurus posted:

I'm still disappointed that we didn't start out as a bunch of scrappy survivors with cobbled together equipment as they showed in the first teaser trailers.

The early parts of Ufo Afterlight were interesting this way. You had only one person with any military training, most of your weaponry was repurposed science equipment, and everyone was bumbling around in bulky spacesuits.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Alchenar posted:

I've dived back into the campaign and everything is definitely a ton more polished than it was at release. Still suffers a bit from 'you only understand how the campaign works after you've played it'. I'd recommend it on sale to anyone with the XCOM itch who is looking to see how the different design philosophy plays out and is willing to accept that it isn't ultimately as good.

Splicer posted:

Is it possible to play with air turned on without slogging through that bullshit map every game?
Genuinely why I stopped playing.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The Lone Badger posted:

The early parts of Ufo Afterlight were interesting this way. You had only one person with any military training, most of your weaponry was repurposed science equipment, and everyone was bumbling around in bulky spacesuits.

The opening of Ufo Aftermath was literally this. You have a couple of guys with shotguns and open up your first military base, and all the equipment you get before you can start manufacturing your first run of laser rifles comes from random one-shot military caches you get from activating bases.

e: you have to slog through the bullshit air map. Special missions aren't great, missions with infinitely respawning enemies aren't great.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

UFO Aftershock was my favorite. It was so...gritty. You were controlling a bunch of space thugs fighting Fallout monsters in a post-apocalypse. In general the mood was similar to Stalker and it ruled.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The main thing about Phoenix Point that feels extremely unsatisfying is how ALL of the gear is just sidegrades. Sidegrades for days.

You managed to find a bunch of brand new shiny gear that you've never seen before?! Ok, who gives a poo poo about when it's just as good as the gear you literally started the game with?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Aftershock was great for how unintentionally wacky it was. On the one hand the setting is incredibly gritty. On the other hand you can spec a cyborg to duel wield katanas.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

You get attacked by a space walnut

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Jack Trades posted:

The main thing about Phoenix Point that feels extremely unsatisfying is how ALL of the gear is just sidegrades. Sidegrades for days.

Yes. I mean, I assume the idea is broken combos since the aliens unequivocally get better and your poo poo doesn’t, but man I do not enjoy it.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Psycho Landlord posted:

You get attacked by a space walnut

I mean the trilogy was running on Julian Gollop's notes for Dreamland Chronicles, which were a development of the XCOM:Apocalypse story and made their way through into Phoenix Point.

Julian really loves the idea of sentient psychic viruses from space.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Jack Trades posted:

ALL of the gear is just sidegrades.

It's not ALL sidegrades though. The New Jericho armor piercing weapons are straight upgrades from the normal ones, for instance. Even on the starting tier, Synedrion laser rifles are strictly better than PP's normal ARs, they're just more expensive to keep supplied.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Nordick posted:

It's not ALL sidegrades though. The New Jericho armor piercing weapons are straight upgrades from the normal ones, for instance. Even on the starting tier, Synedrion laser rifles are strictly better than PP's normal ARs, they're just more expensive to keep supplied.

The upgrades are pretty marginal though, there’s no Xcom moment when you finally have your dudes geared up with lasers and find yourself melting cyberdisks that you used to have to equip dedicated rocket teams to take down. Even long war’s relatively more granular weapon tiers feel like a huge deal vs bringing a laser rifle instead of a Phoenix ar.

At the very least considering the plot the first tier of equipment shouldn’t look so scifi and snazzy

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Yeah it's just weird because Gollop literally invented that progression of starting off with junk, getting useful stuff and parity with the aliens, then finally getting access to some cool poo poo that's better than what the aliens have.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
If squad counts were higher or more intel was available on encounter compositions having the ability to switch to situationally-better sidegrades would be neat, but… that’s just not the case.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Does nobody use the hybrid alliance stuff that you get for allying with 2+ factions? That is where you get proper laser guns and they are pretty drat good. Especially since you don't have to pay for laser turret ammo...

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Something that I think is actually underrated about the game is Gollop further developing his thesis that the humanity wouldn't come together in the face of extinction but that the guys trying to save the world would have to deal with petty short mindedness and ideological emnity. That's a theme the Firaxis games have junked.

Ceramic Shot
Dec 21, 2006

The stars aren't in the right places.

Alchenar posted:

Something that I think is actually underrated about the game is Gollop further developing his thesis that the humanity wouldn't come together in the face of extinction but that the guys trying to save the world would have to deal with petty short mindedness and ideological emnity. That's a theme the Firaxis games have junked.

Yeah, agreed. I think in Phoenix Point, researching certain key techs results in irreparable diplomatic breakdowns between the three NPC factions. It's a neat way to change the game state in the late game, and gives things a more tragic tone overall. You still get material rewards for haven defenses, but when you're fending off a squad of nominal allies that's attacking another ally, it really has a more hopeless, twilight of humanity feel.

As for weapons upgrades, it depends a lot on the weapon class. NJ's T1 Deceptor MG remains very effective throughout the whole game, while the 1-action laser PDW weapon does as much base damage as any 2-action assault rifle, and the Harrower shotgun is incredibly effective at close range armor shredding and damage. The laser mount with its infinite range, perfect accuracy, and high damage beat out the expensive rockets in the late game too in most situations.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
If I wanted to see humanity unable to come together about a clear existential threat, I would google “Covid hoax” or “unmask our children”. Nihilism is such a lazy armor for your fictional product to wear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Bogart posted:

If I wanted to see humanity unable to come together about a clear existential threat, I would google “Covid hoax” or “unmask our children”. Nihilism is such a lazy armor for your fictional product to wear.

Yeah, for me it actually hinders getting invested in the story. There's so few humans left, and everything's just rapidly getting worse, so my brain just goes "...ok, why do we even bother then?" If I'm supposed to save the world, would be nice if there was something left to save.

Yeah, yeah, this is dumb and defeatist and "In dark times, should the stars also go out?" and all that. I have brain worms, I know.