Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Mordja posted:

Goddammit.

I wonder how that exclusivity worked out for Metro? Judging by the fact that neither Deep Silver nor Epic have been crowing about its success, I'd wager "not too well."

Metro got a huge surge in pre-orders when they announced they were going EGS exclusive but they were pre-orders on steam. I wish Phoenix Point at least went the Metro route and honored existing pre-orders and backers and gave them a steam/gog key.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

FoolyCharged posted:

I feel like sticking "paid" in front of exclusives is deliberately misleading enough to not trust the rest of that list. That line is intentionally written in order to pretend that dota2, only on steam, isn't a thing.

I'm pretty sure valve's dumb card game thing is also exclusive. And all of this is discounting 3rd parties that only release their junk on steam.

Steam's exclusives are things made by Valve. Epic's exclusives are things not made by Epic.
3rd Party games on Steam can and are sold everywhere else too - and of those sales Valve doesn't even take a cut. That's not exclusives.

Also add "Being able to choose an install location" to the list of things Steam has and Epic's Store doesn't. Oh and controller config and support, which for some reason isn't on that list either. That's a big one.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Well, yeah it's a revenue guarantee. The downside is, of course, that all of the sales for an entire year on EGS are going to generate zero revenue, until they hit the guaranteed threshold and exceed it. Revenue guarantee's are way worse than a lump sum and it's hilarious that devs are going for them.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

CharlestonJew posted:

seriously though why on earth would you give money to a Fig campaign, the kickstarting platform championed by pro scammers DoubleFine

Because it's literally just Kickstarter except you can back at a tier where you get a percentage of revenue back if the game does well enough? There's nothing about Fig that's "a scam", it's just a curated version of Kickstarter with less exposure.

The Phoenix Point issue would be the exact same problem if they had done their crowdfunding on Kickstarter. Fig only factors into it because if you've got actual investors, being this scummy looks even worse.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

That Italian Guy posted:

B) Buy keys for the Epic Store on third party websites and activate the game on the Epic Store?

Well, probably not, because Epic is on record as saying they want to control prices, so they don't let people sell keys for their exclusives on third party sites. Say goodbye to IsThereAnyDeal.com if Epic is here to stay.

vvv They can't do anything about existing keys. Metro and Division 2 are in a weird position in that they had already been on sale before becoming exclusives.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Mar 14, 2019

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

They have no incentive to make any sales for year. They don't care if it gets pirated, because they wouldn't see a cent of any sale on EGS anyway.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

I really gotta wonder if there's an exit clause on the exclusivity contracts, because at this point any sensible developer would pull the emergency chute.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

To Epic the 1 million they hand out to indies for exlusives is back of the couch under the cushions money.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

DrManiac posted:

It's rumored the outer worlds is going to be epic exclusive too so what in the hell are they offering to devs?

At least 1 million buckaroos.
As a "revenue guarantee" for a year, aka we give you a million bucks, but every sale you make on the epic store detracts from the million. Which is a really dumb deal for developers to take, because exclusivty deals used to be just getting the money upfront. But with epic you're not even getting any money from sales for a year.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Pharnakes posted:

You mean comes out on epic store.

No it's ok, if you're backer who doesn't want to support Epic's horrendous practices, you can either a) wait a year or b) rent the game you already for from Microsoft on your own dime. That's totally fine right?

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Oh Boy is devs listening to Beaglerush going to ruin another game?

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Wicked Them Beats posted:

What did Beagle say about Phoenix Point?

And the bit where he aims where he last saw an enemy and kills it in the fog of war was neat, but the sight ranges feel a bit low overall. The map seemed like it was in perpetual shadow and the guy playing through killed half the enemies while they were out of sight, which was kinda weird. It was four soldiers and a vehicle going up against a bunch of outlines and indicators.

Apparently it was a night mission. Agreed on the aliens being a little too obscured - not necessarily in terms of gameplay, but just visually. They gave them cool models and animations but you can barely see any of it.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

I think Aftermath had the best arc and was the most coherent, Aftershock tried to do too much but had a lot of cool content because of it and Afterlight was the most polished but man that art style shift is something else.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

If EGS hadn't eaten my saves I might like it more. The game itself is good though. Janky as gently caress as every x-com and xcom game are, but it doesn't have xcoms massive issues.

For people worried about spamming explosives being too good, grenades at the least aren't an issue, because they cost resources to replace and have a 5h build time, each, at the start.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Alchenar posted:

I think that's likely to be a recurring criticism of mine. Why, for example, was it important to have three resources rather than one?

Because they do different things and having 3 resources used for different things means you can have a trading and raiding system for the neutral factions?

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

I haven't had a single instance of the ring lying yet, that wasn't explainable by a buggy invisible wall (these are easy to spot because the game knows there's a wall and won't highlight the target's body parts). The invisible wall thing happened once so far.

It absolutely isn't faking it and just doing a hit percentage - they do calculate every bullet (you can easily see that by how the destrutability works).

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Note on the 3rd difficulty and up faction soldiers don't come with weapons anymore, only faction armor. That significantly ups the difficulty.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

I've never seen a game where body parts being a thing is more important than in Phoenix Point. I literally can't understand how you could possibly think different. It even works similarily to Battletech, because just like Battletech your actual positioning relative to the enemy determines which body parts you'll hit - just even more so, because it's not 4 facing, it's fully simulated.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

The regular aiming doesn't even just center mass it - it centers on the visible parts of the enemy, so it's still useable even if only a single limb or part of a limb is sticking around objects. Regular aim maximizes your chance to hit, free aim lets you sacrifice chance to hit for hitting specific parts of the enemies. If you're close enough though you're not sacrificing chance to hit because you'll hit anymore, so at that point free aim gets better.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

It's extremely good when it's good, there's just a lot of jank that comes with being very low budget.
This is the capstone of me disarming an NJ Heavy who was so heavily armored my assault rifles and shotguns couldn't touch it. So I had my sniper break his important limbs and parts.
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/517201027

Bring big damage chunks or armor shred people - armor escalates and you don't wanna be stuck with 30/40 damage a round weapons against 30+ armor body parts.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

charity rereg posted:

I've been following this game for a bit because a Factorio streamer I like was super into it and... I guess I admit I didn't really know what XCOM games were after all this time somehow. But I actually love turn based tactical games and was thinking of getting this.

Sounds like maybe down the line this might be worth it, but maybe not as a first go-round, but what would be a good entry point into this series/genre for someone who hasn't played one?

Get Battletech instead of the nu-XCOM. It's extremely similar but cuts some of the worst bullshit. Especially the part where enemies get a free movement, during your turn, if any single one of their vauge "squad" gets so much as a single tile of LOS on it.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

It's only necessary because they did some downright idiotic abstraction with unactivated enemies. And even then it's not actually necessary because there's mods that remove it and it plays much better that way.

Also agreed that XCOM 1 is better than XCOM 2. It just has a more satisfying tech curve and story progression.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Back Hack posted:

Watching a stream of the game now, I'm already seeing a couple quality of life features the new XCOM did that this game purposely ignored:

1. You don't auto-loot an area once you pacify an area, anything you don't pick up while enemies are still alive gets left behind.

2. The game doesn't auto-replenish ammo or items once they're used. Which is confusing, everything I've seen so far suggest the game is balanced around auto-replenishment because even manufacturing simple items such as new magazines and grenades is expensive.

It sort of auto-loots and it sort of auto-replenishes. The "sort of" part is the problem. It loots all the boxes automatically but it doesn't loot items enemies dropped. It replenishes ammo in your inventory almost all the time and ammo in your gun some of the time. Both of those are obviously very problematic and hopefully on the list of fixes until real launch in a year.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

boredsatellite posted:

Also beagle did pretty much end up going into the nitty details and broke the game down to where its weakest with the aiming system

https://youtu.be/9Lb_MQLwa-k?t=13672

You cant have that happen honestly

This literally happens in XCOM 1 and XCOM 2 all the time.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

pedro0930 posted:

I haven't try to do heavy sniper yet, but I imagine with +accuracy gear and master marksman perhaps the HEL cannon can be fairly serviceable at even long range.

Heavy-Sniper also gets Quick Aim, so you can do two 3-action shots in one turn. It might even combine with the Boom skill in heavy to give you 1-action grenade launcher shots (at ridiculous willpower costs).

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

The crabmen MG doesn't hit that hard per-shot - it's just that phoenix project assault armor isn't very tough (and guess who's most likely to be next to a crabman - it's the dashing assaults). MG Crabmen suck against NJ Armor, especially NJ Heavy Armor.

Also gotta keep in mind Crabmen arms and the Crab MG itself are very fragile - it's pretty easy to pop them from far away (or if it's a single crabman, from up close) negating the return fire. It's a huge newbie trap and big punishment for not paying attention and checking the crab loadouts the moment you spot one though - probably too much of one.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Pharmaskittle posted:

Is there a way to tell if an enemy unit has return fire before shooting at them?

There's theoretically an indicator (a tiny white return fire symbol overlaid over the enemy indicator on the bottom row) but I'm pretty sure it doesn't always show up when return fire is in play. However, which enemies have return fire is very consistent so far (Arthrons have return if they have an MG arm, enemy soldiers have return fire, if they're assaults, etc.)

The Overwatch thing I wish I knew - I've had someone die because of an overwatch triggering on the step-out before a shot (take shot -> character plays step around corner animation -> overwatch -> dead -> no shot occurs) and I don't know if it's because Overwatch interrupts shots or because the step-out counts as movement and overwatch only cares about movement.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

There's not a lot of phoenix bases, so yes. The Synedrion Story Quests eventually give you one though, if you haven't found a random one yet, that might be worth beelining to.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

the crabmen MG shoots at 50x6 with return fire. 50 is a lot per shot and the difference between phoenix assault and NJ assault is like 20-24. It drops crabmen damage from 30 to 26, oboy. The gauss rifle only shoots at 4x40 and its the hard-hitting AR. MG has 80/20 hp/armor iirc which isnt strong but its not ez-pop either especially if they have shield.

and the arms are really tiny, generally too tiny for ARs except at close range. Maybe the laser AR; i havent used it.

the only easy way dealing with crabmen, or hitting their arms, or taking out their MGs, is with snipers because snipers are op.

Um, I'm looking at a crabman right now and it's 35x6 (and only x3 for return fire). It might be a difficulty thing? I'm on the 3rd out of 4.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Ooof, that’s... not great. The modern XCom games have a better story and there’s not even really that much to the plots there.

I mean, this is exactly the story they spoiled a week or so after the fig campaign began. They've been releasing fiction since the game was announced and it contained all of that.

And I don't know what's so bad about it? It's certainly more interesting than nu-XCOM's "aliens are bad and also here's a mystery well keep hinting at and never actually resolving" and a million dropped plot points like it's loving LOST. XCOM - The Bureau had a more interesting plot than XCOM.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

It's a different story. You start outgunned, the enemy isn't using technology in the sense that you can reverse engineer, but the 3 different factions that have more bases and a lot more resources than you do are doing the researching of technology on their own, they just all have a different idea of what will work. You decide which one you ultimately go for, while also digging in the past to maybe find a solution of your own.

It isn't just horizontal either, because the new tech the factions develop is absolutely better than what they start with. I do agree that some sort of end-game pure phoenix project or phoenix project/faction hybrid tech would be nice, but there's clearly a lot of missing content (just look at the announced DLCs and what they showed in pre-release stuff) so that might well be on the way.

As for swapping guns to protect them from being destroyed by fire...sure you can do that I guess. It does stop you from doing return fire properly, but most importantly it's tedious and 100% not necessary. And if you're having problems with mind control.....maybe you shouldn't have burned all your willpower on dashes?

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Dec 9, 2019

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Research recruitment then find a haven with a little yellow dude icon next to it. Visit it to buy a soldier. Depending on your difficulty setting you'll also have to equip that soldier yourself.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

In the personnel screen it adds a third "containment" tab. It shows you capacity and also what you've got currently captured.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

To capture things you have to build a containment facility in one of your bases and then fill up the paralysis on something to above the max in a mission. The way paralysis works is, the "cap" is the targets strength. They lose AP in proportion to the paralysis vs the cap and if they're at or above the cap they are just straight up 0AP and lose their turn. Paralysis goes down by 1 every turn.

That makes it incredibly nasty, especially against humans - most humans have around 15 strength so two neuralizer hits will completely shut them down. Even the paralysis pistol starts turning pretty good for that at 5 paralysis damage per action. Monsters tend to be stronger though and usually need 4 neuralizer actions to get rid of.

I don't know about the Armadillo, but the Scarab at least has a single magazine that you can't refill during missions, but gets refilled for free between missions (don't need to go back to base to reload).

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Playing on Legendary is a huge mistake yeah.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

lazorexplosion posted:

The entire game is a list of mechanics that shouldn't have made it past the prototyping phase

https://i.imgur.com/PCJvtzZ.mp4

It's so loving bad.

Eh, it's a best case scenario using the max level ability of someone that's had a shitload of training points dumped on that's going to come up a few times in a playthrough max. God-Tier psykers are god tier in perfect situations - that's okay. Every time you spend willpower you make yourself more vulnerable to panic and mind control - and in exchange you can do risky power spikes. I'd have been possible to kill every single enemy in that grouping with a single shotgun assault that's had the same level of training points spent on them for less willpower (except the Sirens, because they shrug off shotguns). Clustered enemies are very vulnerable to max level soldier shenanigans if they don't contain return fire crabs.

And considering the stuff the enemy gets to do, you need this kind of power when a perfect situation comes up.

Priests are a little overtuned, but it's not necessarily the mind crush that's doing it.

Edit: Looking at it, it's really not that different from what you could do with end-game psykers in XCOM 1.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Dec 13, 2019

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

I'm constantly waiting for the other shoe to drop with Barnabas. There's no way someone makes sentient AI and it just turns out be...a cool dude?

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Bloodstained is up on Gamepass too. Epic store was a much bigger gently caress you to the backers than Gamepass (mostly because Gamepass doesn't exclude other stores).

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

I backed it because I was X-com starved and love it because it's very much not XCOM. If you were hoping for more XCOM, you really misread the information. It was very much intended to be a counterpoint to the Firaxis XCOMs endless simplifying and streamlining.

Hope you noticed within the refund window, those design decisions are pretty front and center from the first minute.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Dec 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

I legit don't understand any UI complaints - what's your problem with it that isn't just bugs (the LOS indicators not always being accurate)? I found the (tactical) UI to be pretty loving genius. The geoscape UI is functional, but not great from my experience: It has pretty much the same problems all x-com-likes with real geoscapes have, which is that it bogs down when you've got more than 2-3 bases and more than 2-3 transports.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Dec 16, 2019