Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Base-building reminds me of something like Dungeon Keeper's, which I hadn't realized.
https://phoenixpoint.info/blog/2019/1/22/phoenix-point-access-granted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Goddammit.

I wonder how that exclusivity worked out for Metro? Judging by the fact that neither Deep Silver nor Epic have been crowing about its success, I'd wager "not too well."

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

FoolyCharged posted:

Epic responded saying it was opt in only and yet on page 13 someone links an article where epic stated that only 20% of fortnight users actively use steam
Isn't that number kind of unverifiable nonsense considering Fortnite's also huge on consoles and on phones? 20% of Fortnite players actively use steam, but what's the Fortnite breakdown by platform?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Coolguye posted:

yeah to me it's less a matter of how accurate that number is and more a matter of "why do you have numbers on that in the first place??"
whynotboth.gif

But yeah, I'd made an Epic account way back when for UT4 (RIP) and this is all skeezy as hell.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So I couldn't yet tell you whether Epic's data-scraping thing nefarious or not, but RPS' article on it is the most smugly dismissive bullshit I've seen yet.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

orcane posted:

To "win" with publishers (devs, not really :v:) you basically have to be the better option than selling on the existing biggest store (or spread the games across all of them, lots of sales for a 30% cut is quickly better than not that many for a 12% cut), but also by being the better option for them than their own lovely exclusive store they might already have or could be willing to launch. And if the publisher is large enough, 100% might sound even better than 88%.

Surprisingly (to me at least) Ubisoft is the only big publisher with a store/launcher that kept the option to buy on Steam alive until Epic came along with the big :10bux: EA took their ball and went home a long time ago, and so did Blizzard (I assume Activision will expand on Battle.net as their PC launcher/store in the near future, so far it's just Blizzard games, the lastest CoD and Destiny 2). Bethesda opened their own launcher (which is admittedly worse than Epic's so far) rather than jumping on existing options that charge less than Steam.

They're not going to get the big publishers with their own exclusive stores, so if they want to take over as the default PC game store for everything else, they have to at least get the mid tier publishers to convert and those are the ones Steam has the easiest time keeping (they have the existing install base + "better conditions/lower cut if you're big enough" which Steam is already doing, I think). Only buying indie devs and small publishers will not win Epic their War on video game launchers.

Activision, specifically, seems to be putting their eggs in a bunch of baskets. Destiny 2 and COD were on their launcher but Sekiro will be on Steam, and they recently re-released Diablo elusively for GOG, with plans for other games to do the same. So who knows what's up with them.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I think it might be on MS' game store, and it's definitely gonna be on gamepass if that's your bag.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Internet Kraken posted:

Both streams I've watched today have descended into the streamer ranting about how bland and frustrating the game is.
What were their main complaints?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I guess I wasn't following the game that closely because I thought all the projectiles were physically calculated. Anyone play Silent Storm? I figured it would be something like that, albeit not as granular.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
There's also an old demo for it on GOG. https://www.gog.com/game/xenonauts_2_demo

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I only ever played the demo for both games and while I found the first one incredibly bland, something about the X2 one really did it for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Xenonauts 2 demo out on Steam. They'll be opening a free public beta in March. A new steam feature for playtests, apparently.

Any clue if this demo is the same, old GOG one?