Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Season 1 Teaser: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8PsZki6NGU

What is Altered Carbon?

Synopsis posted:

Based on the 2002 novel by Richard K. Morgan, Altered Carbon is set in the far-future of the 26th century where death is practically a thing of the past, for the rich. Breakthroughs in medical technology mean that, at birth, every single human is fitted with a “cortical stack”which immediately begins recording your memories, your skills, your intelligence, and the general state of your neural impulses which make up “you.” Should death befall your body, your stack is simply removed and placed into a new “sleeve.”
Basically Blade Runner crossed with Deus Ex and Demolition Man but with Real Death shootouts/executions, naked low gravity kung foo fights and bloodsports.

:siren: Please keep all bookspoilers in spoilertags (with a lose description of what the spoiler is about, tv show, book, third book etc) :siren:

Characters:

Takashi Kovacs 'O.G.' (Will Yun Lee) was born and raised on Harlan's World; a former UN Protectorate Envoy — a type of special forces soldier, part intelligence operative and part shock trooper — trained to adapt quickly to new bodies and new environments.

Takeshi Kovacs (Joel Kinnaman) Envoys are used as 'peacekeepers' by the governing UN Protectorate to fight in conflicts, crush planetary unrest and maintain political stability in settled worlds via re-sleeving. Kovacs awakes to find himself in a new body on Earth, over a century after his death.

Kristin Ortega (Martha Higareda), a Bay City police officer in the Organic Damage Division who's fed up with corruption, lies and loss.

Laurens Bancroft (James Purefoy) hires Kovacs to investigate his own murder. He is not just Earth’s wealthiest man. He is one of the wealthiest men in the Settled Worlds.

Trailers:

Teaser 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qM7Eob4YFDQ
Teaser 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8PsZki6NGU (linked above)
Official Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhFM8akm9a4

Should I read the book?
Sure, if you want to. The books aren't amazing but they're pretty decent cyberpunk/sci-fi reads. However the show should stand on its own and they have made some alterations to the story for TV.

Some changes will be made to accommodate the second and third books into the first seasons storyline as well. Other changes have been made for the tv adaptation:

What is different from the books? (No spoilers)
The Hendrix Hotel, a central location in the book is now The Raven and inspired by Edgar Allan Poe. This is due to the rights around the likeness and music of Jimi Hendrix.
Poe, the AI hotel is a character in the story now and has quite a few scenes.
It seems the like the Envoys have a modified agenda now of opposing widespread re-sleeving.
Suntouch House is now in a very tall skyscraper rather than a beachside estate.

Poster:

drunkill fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Feb 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
i'm glad somebody else did a thread.

Dimi the twin is in. The trailer.

It's been renewed for a second season. I doubt they will be adapting the other books.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

drunkill posted:

Should I read the book?
Sure, if you want to. The books aren't amazing but they're pretty decent cyberpunk/sci-fi reads.

LOL. The first book is amazing. The next two are goodish to good.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I’m not optimistic about it being released Super Bowl weekend. Counter programming and later streaming and all that is fine but the first weekend hype seems to do a lot for viewership. It’s like any other TV series: you’re forcing it to start slow and hopefully build.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
They're promoting the hell out of though.

Sure netflix do a big billboard push for their big shows here normally on tram, train and bus stops but the other day I heard a radio ad for Altered Carbon.

I have never heard a netflix radio ad in the past.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Josh Lyman posted:

I’m not optimistic about it being released Super Bowl weekend. Counter programming and later streaming and all that is fine but the first weekend hype seems to do a lot for viewership. It’s like any other TV series: you’re forcing it to start slow and hopefully build.

Friday and Saturday is plenty for binge watchers, and probably enough to hook any people who watch at more leisurely pace.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Proteus Jones posted:

LOL. The first book is amazing. The next two are goodish to good.

I'd suggest that, depending on what one enjoyed about Altered Carbon, the next two books are even better. I liked the noir elements in Altered Carbon just fine, but most enjoyed the hints of world building concerning the Martians and Quell -- both of those elements were expanded on and developed in interesting ways in the next two books (particularly the Martian stuff in Broken Angels). If anyone read Altered Carbon and liked those two things, it's definitely worth reading the next two. The sex scenes remains dreadful, but that just seems to be Morgan's deal, I guess.

Cautiously looking forward to this series, but some of the basic changes they've made to some characters from Kovacs's past sound pretty dumb and unnecessary from the previews I've read.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

McCoy Pauley posted:

I'd suggest that, depending on what one enjoyed about Altered Carbon, the next two books are even better. I liked the noir elements in Altered Carbon just fine, but most enjoyed the hints of world building concerning the Martians and Quell -- both of those elements were expanded on and developed in interesting ways in the next two books (particularly the Martian stuff in Broken Angels). If anyone read Altered Carbon and liked those two things, it's definitely worth reading the next two. The sex scenes remains dreadful, but that just seems to be Morgan's deal, I guess.

Cautiously looking forward to this series, but some of the basic changes they've made to some characters from Kovacs's past sound pretty dumb and unnecessary from the previews I've read.

I can respect that. Personally, I was disappointed the next two stepped away from the noir styling. While good and worth reading, the next two just didn't grab me like the first did. It's been *ages* since I read them, so maybe on re-read I'll have a different opinion.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
I finished watching my screeners for this show a few days ago. I enjoyed it, but was kind of surprised that even though it's based on a book there still seemed like a lot of buying time. The 10 episodes could have pretty easily been cut down to 6 or 8 without losing a whole lot.

Proteus Jones posted:

I can respect that. Personally, I was disappointed the next two stepped away from the noir styling.

That's disappointing and makes me wary about a second season unless they restructure it into a more noir mystery.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Proteus Jones posted:

I can respect that. Personally, I was disappointed the next two stepped away from the noir styling. While good and worth reading, the next two just didn't grab me like the first did. It's been *ages* since I read them, so maybe on re-read I'll have a different opinion.

Yeah, one thing that anyone wanting to read the whole trilogy should know is that each book is effectively a different genre. The first is a noir detective story, the second is a mashup of war and archaeology adventure, and the third is a heist book. I enjoyed that each presented a different style, but I'd also welcome Morgan cranking out some more noir cyberpunk stuff. Or maybe just a book about the Martians and/or Quell (if he could leave out the sex stuff).

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

McCoy Pauley posted:

Yeah, one thing that anyone wanting to read the whole trilogy should know is that each book is effectively a different genre. The first is a noir detective story, the second is a mashup of war and archaeology adventure, and the third is a heist book. I enjoyed that each presented a different style, but I'd also welcome Morgan cranking out some more noir cyberpunk stuff. Or maybe just a book about the Martians and/or Quell (if he could leave out the sex stuff).

Yeah, I really feel if he could dial back (at the very least) on the sex, Altered Carbon could easily be a modern science fiction classic. Everything Not Awkward Sex Scene in the book just so good.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
You could say that about 90% of sci-fi has that problem. I stopped reading PF Hamilton for that reason alone. I blame Heinlan for setting the trend.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I'm pretty excited for this having just finished the book today, although I am rather confused about the change to the role of the Envoys. I really liked the idea of them in the book and I'm not sure how they're going to make the whole 'freedom fighter' aspect of the show more interesting, but we'll see.

Aphex- fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Feb 1, 2018

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

:siren: We're live!!! :siren:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

1st episode did a good job at laying out the premise and dropping crumbs backstory.

I'm really enjoying the style of how the narrative is being presented, and the look is fantastic.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Feb 2, 2018

HardKase
Jul 15, 2007
TASTY
I really enjoyed that first episode. Why does it remind me of the expanse?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

HardKase posted:

I really enjoyed that first episode. Why does it remind me of the expanse?

Probably because they actually spent time and money to create a real atmosphere and environment for the show to breathe and grow.

E: I'm also liking how it's showing as opposed to doing info dumps. There's a lot of important pieces to understanding this world that you pick up contextually rather than a 3rd party giving a bunch of "well you see..."

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Feb 2, 2018

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

They have perfectly captured how much an rear end in a top hat Kovacs can be. This is exceeding my expectations so far.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Finished 2 eps so far. I thought pilot did good exposition, though I had seen the trailers and read the OP so I was familiar with the premise.

Kinda really liked the electronic song they played at Jack It Off.

And good lord, there’s so much money on screen.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

LesterGroans posted:

That's disappointing and makes me wary about a second season unless they restructure it into a more noir mystery.

My guess is that they'll do their own Altered Carbon 2 rather than adapting book two (at least straight away). It doesn't just drop the noir styling, we're talking full genre shift to a war-ridden planet with ancient alien artifact.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I mean Expanse had a pretty big genre shift too and it went pretty well

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Yay I'm so excited! Episode 1 was great. I read the book years ago and didn't really remember much of it.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Who is the police chief? Looks familiar

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The actress who plays Quell just turned 47 :stare:

Also is there any show where James Purefoy doesn’t show off his dong?

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I'm two episodes in but at least so far it's very faithful to the book, also I haven't noticed any difference in Envoy agenda and they seem to be exactly what they were in the book: hypersodliers/diplomats trained for interstellar warfare and beaming their stacks into combat sleeves. There's a scene in the pilot that makes it sound like the Envoys as a group were committed to fighting Meths like Bancroft, but it could also just have been Kovacs copping to his own days as a Quellist.

e: should have waited til third episode.

The Ninth Layer fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Feb 2, 2018

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
On the first episode right now. This language switching thing is interesting and neat. Do they keep it up throughout the series?

e: Could you guys please be mindful about book spoilers. I'm trying to watch it blind.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

I'm just here to ask people what they thought of Martha Higareda, because the fact that she's in this high production sci-fi show after being stuck on mexican romcom hell is somewhat amazing to me

Hell, I won't lie - saw a poster for this at a bus stop from afar, but just close enough to make out her name, and I was incredibly confused to see what appeared to be a an american-looking production with a huge romcom star. Having never heard of this before I just figured it was a mexican horror movie. :v:

Ignis fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Feb 2, 2018

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

Just finished the series. I had never heard of it other than the trailer, I might read the books now.

I think this was probably my favorite of the netflix original shows so far.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gawain The Blind posted:

Just finished the series. I had never heard of it other than the trailer, I might read the books now.

I think this was probably my favorite of the netflix original shows so far.

How well did you follow it? Any time I watch an adaptation of a book I've read I always feel like someone who hasn’t wouldn’t know what the hell is going on, but of course I'm coming to it with way more context.

I've only watched the first ep so far and it's gorgeous and seems to be a bang-on recreation of the first couple of chapters, even starting the series in the same place as the books. It's been a few years since I read it though so: was Ortega in the book and also the hotel, it had a different theme didn't it? Answer in spoilers please

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
I loved this book so much, signed copy and all. Two episodes in and I'm happy with how loyal it's being.

Answering those two questions:
Yes Ortega is in the books

And the hotel is Jimmy Hendrix. Guessing there was rights concerns with that

I just found out this was being made yesterday, so I'm pretty psyched!

Neuromancer next, please!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Re ep 4.

Pretty drat brutal, but I'm glad they didn't hew to certain scenes exactly as they are in the book. That might have been problematic.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Proteus Jones posted:

Re ep 4.

Pretty drat brutal, but I'm glad they didn't hew to certain scenes exactly as they are in the book. That might have been problematic.

The show runner talked about the reasons that scene was changed. It turns out Women are more resistant to torture! https://io9.gizmodo.com/altered-carbons-showrunner-on-the-only-book-scene-she-i-1821147916

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Did they (book stuff, halfway in E2) combine the Quellists and Envoys? In the first episode it seemed like they were going with the book where the envoys were tools of the protectorate, but E2 has the museum talk about Envoy terrorists with a thing showing Quellcrist. . I read the books a long time ago so I may be misremembering.

BobMorane
Oct 25, 2010

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Did they (book stuff, halfway in E2) combine the Quellists and Envoys? In the first episode it seemed like they were going with the book where the envoys were tools of the protectorate, but E2 has the museum talk about Envoy terrorists with a thing showing Quellcrist. . I read the books a long time ago so I may be misremembering.

I have only watched E1 (and read the books, obv.) but they do seem to completely merge the quellists with the Envoys and Quell herself with Kovacs' old commanding officer (and make them lovers, to boot...)
I can't say I'm a big fan of those changes. Also no Hendricks AI, boo... Still pretty good for now !

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

zoux posted:

How well did you follow it? Any time I watch an adaptation of a book I've read I always feel like someone who hasn’t wouldn’t know what the hell is going on, but of course I'm coming to it with way more context.

I've only watched the first ep so far and it's gorgeous and seems to be a bang-on recreation of the first couple of chapters, even starting the series in the same place as the books. It's been a few years since I read it though so: was Ortega in the book and also the hotel, it had a different theme didn't it? Answer in spoilers please

Ortega was in the book and the hotel was Jimmi Hendrix. I assume they couldn't get permission to use him in this

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

BobMorane posted:

I have only watched E1 (and read the books, obv.) but they do seem to completely merge the quellists with the Envoys and Quell herself with Kovacs' old commanding officer (and make them lovers, to boot...)
I can't say I'm a big fan of those changes. Also no Hendricks AI, boo... Still pretty good for now !

Yeah I thought I remembered them being ISP agents, but eh doesn't really matter. If they do the other books it means even less, who knows. Does kinda change his character though.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Moose-Alini posted:

Yeah I thought I remembered them being ISP agents, but eh doesn't really matter. If they do the other books it means even less, who knows. Does kinda change his character though.

He does mention in ep 2 that he did work for the ISP for a long time so they did keep that part of his character intact.

Man, I really hope they do Woken Furies next. I liked that book more than Altered Carbon.

Loezi
Dec 18, 2012

Never buy the cheap stuff
Hadn't read the books, binged thought the whole show today. Very good, if a bit graphic. Got that Expanse S1 feeling of a well developed world, and I really enjoyed how thoroughly the scifi gimmick (stacks) was explored.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Loezi posted:

Hadn't read the books, binged thought the whole show today. Very good, if a bit graphic. Got that Expanse S1 feeling of a well developed world, and I really enjoyed how thoroughly the scifi gimmick (stacks) was explored.

Check out the books for sure. They do a really good job of having stacks really affect the plot and characters instead of being worldbuilding fluff.

E: Ep 4 holy crap that ending where he gets up and wastes everyone with that PJ Harvey song was amazing

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Feb 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream
May 6, 2007
Fett-kart
Was it just me or were some parts just cut really awkward. LIke ,Cutting off the end off a sentence to get to the next scene awkward.

• Locked thread