Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«28 »
AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

I have only gotten into the second episode of this, but has anyone else noticed that James Purefoy is slowly becoming William Shatner?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Rhyno posted:

LoL, you're not dragging me into this bro.

Everyone turn down the lights and be real quiet. Maybe Zaphod will think no one's home.

Jay-V
Nov 8, 2009

Omg I'm watching episode 6 right now, what is going onnnnn with these action sequences

Edit: Just finished....this show's absurdity has really hit a new level

Jay-V fucked around with this message at Feb 22, 2018 around 05:58

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

Do you have a moment to talk about the Way?

AlternateAccount posted:

I have only gotten into the second episode of this, but has anyone else noticed that James Purefoy is slowly becoming William Shatner?

Breathes a deep sigh of relief

THANK YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

We've got this thing licked!

Rhyno posted:

LoL, you're not dragging me into this bro.

Oh god no, that was not my intent. Xealot said exactly what I was trying to convey much better anyway.

Jay-V posted:

Omg I'm watching episode 6 right now, what is going onnnnn with these action sequences

Oh you sweet innocent .

Let us know when you're done with episode 7 .

Young Freud
Nov 25, 2006

AlternateAccount posted:

That's not right, you never seen Shatner's swinging dong.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

I've been thinking about the opening scene in the "welcome back" hall with the girl who was killed. Do they only resleeve from criminal stock? I can't think of many 7 year olds being sent to jail, so there would never be any age appropriate sleeves for that girl. You would have thought the parents would have known this. Or that age appropriate clones would be made available in these unusual cases, especially considering it is a child.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Young Freud posted:

That's not right, you never seen Shatner's swinging dong.

Well actually... #metoo

Collateral posted:

I've been thinking about the opening scene in the "welcome back" hall with the girl who was killed. Do they only resleeve from criminal stock? I can't think of many 7 year olds being sent to jail, so there would never be any age appropriate sleeves for that girl. You would have thought the parents would have known this. Or that age appropriate clones would be made available in these unusual cases, especially considering it is a child.

Yeah criminals are the vast majority of 'free' sleeves (hence why they just sleeve crimers into whatever the gently caress bodies are on hand rather than their original) and clones are expensive as all loving get out even for meths. Its simply not feasible for underfunded government departments to bother with 'kid' sleeves. Plus lets not even touch on the horror show that likely permeates 'child sleeves' in the marketplace

Basically: ITS A DYSTOPIA, BABY

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at Feb 22, 2018 around 10:43

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

Collateral posted:

Clones are in the "obscene luxury car" range of expensive. It's actually probably cheaper to get something corporate-made than a clone, just for being mass-produced.

Motherfucker posted:

Well actually... #metoo

Yeah criminals are the vast majority of 'free' sleeves (hence why they just sleeve crimers into whatever the gently caress bodies are on hand rather than their original) and clones are expensive as all loving get out even for meths. Its simply not feasible for underfunded government departments to bother with 'kid' sleeves. Plus lets not even touch on the horror show that likely permeates 'child sleeves' in the marketplace

Basically: ITS A DYSTOPIA, BABY

It's not quite that far in the books, that's kinda more of the series going "LOOK HOW NON-METH PEOPLE SUFFER DUE TO STACKS!!! " The books just have insurance on sleeves like for anything else. Generally enough to cover something other than "lol, here's something random from what's on-hand in a prison, have fun being an old woman, little girl!"

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Whatever tape you found in that VCR, it isn't mine.

Fun Shoe

Jay-V posted:

The first 6 episodes are absurd and meandering but then I realized they're all just the prologue, the set up for Dichen Lachman's character, who is the real hero of the series.

She pulled herself up from being a scared & lonely orphan to a rich, powerful meth, while Takeshi spent 250 years sleeping. Reileen should be the central figure of the show, she has the more compelling story, autonomy, and is far more proactive than Tak.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

I interpreted that scene as “the little girl got shot and her original body died, the court ruled that it was a murder and gave her a sleeve, but they are poor so they gave her a menopausal woman instead of a little girl”

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

it's so magical

While everyone getting shot in the stack was silly - reminded me of Dirk Gently and its ridiculous amount of head shots - I imagine it would have killed the pacing if there was a laborious shot of someone rummaging about and disposing of the stack afterwards.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Clones are in the "obscene luxury car" range of expensive. It's actually probably cheaper to get something corporate-made than a clone, just for being mass-produced.

It's not quite that far in the books, that's kinda more of the series going "LOOK HOW NON-METH PEOPLE SUFFER DUE TO STACKS!!! " The books just have insurance on sleeves like for anything else. Generally enough to cover something other than "lol, here's something random from what's on-hand in a prison, have fun being an old woman, little girl!"

Yeah, I really think the book did it better than the show as far as the consequences of stacks for everyday people. To me, it’s more interesting that the reason most people only live twice isn’t because it’s only available to the super rich, but because that’s exhausting. And financing your body, with all the consequences you would expect if you don’t keep current on payments. It makes more sense, too- there’s way more money to be made with high, high volume over only selling to the richest of the rich.

Instead the show went with RDs for everyone with no one blinking an eye, synths being weird shapeshifting superbodies instead of cheap crap for the poor and parole hearings... they really skipped out on a lot of storytelling potential.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Bust Rodd posted:

I interpreted that scene as “the little girl got shot and her original body died, the court ruled that it was a murder and gave her a sleeve, but they are poor so they gave her a menopausal woman instead of a little girl”

well yeah but the underlying reason is because poor people can't afford a decent replacement and the government is ludicrously unequipped to handle reparations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

While everyone getting shot in the stack was silly - reminded me of Dirk Gently and its ridiculous amount of head shots - I imagine it would have killed the pacing if there was a laborious shot of someone rummaging about and disposing of the stack afterwards.

Unlike the whole Caligula-esque take with Meths in the series killing people for fun and buying them new sleeves "so it's all okay", the general setting is supposed to be that sleeve death is still murder. You have killed someone, even though they're back in a new sleeve and quite upset with you, and the law still punishes accordingly (and the series seems to forget this is the basis for Resolution 653 given how every character get RD'ed). Inflicting Real Death on someone is generally considered more like an extra level of "sweet jesus, they REALLY wanted them gone ". Especially when it take a lot of dedication to either pull the stack out of the spinal column and destroy it somehow (the little buggers are quite durable by design), or a high-powered handgun aimed at the right spot.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Yeah, I really think the book did it better than the show as far as the consequences of stacks for everyday people. To me, it’s more interesting that the reason most people only live twice isn’t because it’s only available to the super rich, but because that’s exhausting. And financing your body, with all the consequences you would expect if you don’t keep current on payments. It makes more sense, too- there’s way more money to be made with high, high volume over only selling to the richest of the rich.

Instead the show went with RDs for everyone with no one blinking an eye, synths being weird shapeshifting superbodies instead of cheap crap for the poor and parole hearings... they really skipped out on a lot of storytelling potential.

The baseline problem is the series seems to think there's a clear divide between Meths and poors living regular lifespans. And yet still somehow Psychasec are marketing custom sleeves to people, not to mention talking about the combat sleeves the married couple have. Or even the Freak Fighters and other available sleeves in the Fight Dome.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

Tricking someone into letting them kill you because they believe they won’t really die is like the most demonic thing I’ve ever read a human character do in a work of fiction, so Altered Carbon seems sweet in that regard.

I also wonder how trans people work in AC society. Is it preferable to reassign your birth sleeve’s gender or would you rather just hop over to a completely different body with the right parts? What if you’re in your mid 20s and the only male sleeve you can afford is a 30 year old with a different skin color than yours? Is it worth the change?

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at Feb 22, 2018 around 12:41

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The baseline problem is the series seems to think there's a clear divide between Meths and poors living regular lifespans. And yet still somehow Psychasec are marketing custom sleeves to people, not to mention talking about the combat sleeves the married couple have. Or even the Freak Fighters and other available sleeves in the Fight Dome.

Don't these two trounce all over the "more than ten sleeves frags your brain (or whatever)" hard rule? They've been fighting to the death, regularly, for years, and are super casual about it. You'd think they'd be more wary, given that they're using up a limited resource.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

Open Source Idiom posted:

Don't these two trounce all over the "more than ten sleeves frags your brain (or whatever)" hard rule? They've been fighting to the death, regularly, for years, and are super casual about it. You'd think they'd be more wary, given that they're using up a limited resource.

That's a rule the series introduced (and I'm pretty sure promptly forgot somewhere along the way), and that sounds about right.

Honestly the best way I can think to explain the dissonance and tone of Stacks between the books and the series is like if you tried to tell a story about smartphones and the internet to people in the, oh... let's say 1970's (And I fully admit in advance this is a half-assed analogy, pick away at it as you please). Our book talks about the internet, social media, all about the uses of this neat little thin panel of glass and plastic that is ubiquitous in modern society. The series declares that they must be like 1980's carried phones with a chunky battery and a physical keyboard (because people won't understand the little glass rectangle is a phone that you touch to do stuff) and give you brain cancer if you use them long enough. The plot never gets past "the rich can talk to people around the world, poors can't afford to call international".

Zoracle Zed
Jul 10, 2001

Rhyno posted:

Kinneman has already said he's not doing season 2.

'Altered Carbon': Joel Kinnaman Won't Rule Out Season 2 Return

season 2 is gonna be Kovacs and Ortega solving more murders lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

I think it would be neat if we only see his Asian body in flashbacks and his present day sleeve changed every season

«28 »