Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Professor Shark posted:

I finally finished the season, it took me a long time because this show never really drew me in, but I wanted to get a resolution to James Purefoy's murder.

I'm thinking about checking out the books, but my library doesn't have them.

Purefoy's murder is actually interesting so is ignored for half the season :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

NowonSA posted:

I could imagine an uptick in that a bit. I can also see some societies seeing incest as less of a taboo when it's with someone who's resleeved out of their original biological body. And as we saw in the show the rich get away with whatever they want too.

It's kind of hosed up that a major plot point of the show was what happens at a brothel for the rich, but even then they only scratched the surface of the sick stuff that bodyswapping would enable.

Did they make it clear if rich-bitch was multi-sleeved on clone-gently caress island?

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Quell being the inventor of stacks using Martian tech is the dumbest poo poo in the whole show. It ruins so much about the setting

Still better than westworld

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ditty bout my clitty posted:

Still better than westworld

Low bar.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

What is the deal with the aliens? They barely even talked about them.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Professor Shark posted:

What is the deal with the aliens? They barely even talked about them.

The second book is all about Tak ahving Techno Indiana Jones adventures with alien stuff (and a healthy dose of Corporate Espionage mixed in) right in the middle of of planetary war. Tak wears an Afro-Caribbean soldier sleave.

I doubt the series will go there though, so you are better reading it to get a good idea about what Protectorate Archeologues(?) think about them.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Taear posted:

What about that thing you get when an adopted child meets their biological parents and wants to gently caress them? I can't remember the name but I bet that'd happen a lot in this society.

I’ve not heard it about biological parents but I do remember a radio program years ago about siblings who aren’t raised together often being very attracted to each other.

IIRC the theory was that genetic similarities to you make people more attractive, but this is suppressed when you are raised together.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Taear posted:

What about that thing you get when an adopted child meets their biological parents and wants to gently caress them? I can't remember the name but I bet that'd happen a lot in this society.

It's literally just called Genetic Sexual Attraction. I'm honestly kind of disappointed.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Open Source Idiom posted:

It's literally just called Genetic Sexual Attraction. I'm honestly kind of disappointed.

I've seen it referred to as "Blind Oedipus Complex."

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Rhyno posted:

I've seen it referred to as "Blind Oedipus Complex."

Oedipus complex is gendered so it can't be just called that.
So yea, genetic sexual attraction would be rife.

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene
Just watched half the season, love the RETRO SUPERFUTURE vibes but man the writing gets hammy at times

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene
You must learn the weakness of weapons
*does a dozen kick flips, which are the weakness of weapons*

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

Yeah that was dumb as gently caress

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

I want an edit of AC that removes any scenes with quellchrist (jesus, that name) and any mention of her.

The plot wouldn't really be affected at all.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zaphod42 posted:

I want an edit of AC that removes any scenes with quellchrist (jesus, that name) and any mention of her.

You'd still be stuck with the rest of the tacked-on "METHS AND IMMORTALITY ARE BAD!!" bullshit and series-introduced contradictions.

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

The book version of that is that it's not some :smuggo: superman lesson, but a small part of the general Envoy philosophy beaten into Kovacs during Envoy training (proper UN Protectorate Envoy training, not the series revolutionary kind) and ties into his general mindset as a whole. The short version is that it's not about sick kickflips, but to treat weapons as tools and not just default to a sick cool desert eagle equivalent every chance you get because "it's the bestest most powerful handgun!!" Work out what the job requires, then pick something appropriate. It also ties into him picking out his guns at an actual shop (something mean, the Nemex, for general work, a knife for close-combat, and a stealthy little silent pistol for something discreet. A sensible loadout for an investigation) instead of just prying a sickass revolver from Kadmin's corpse.

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The short version is that it's not about sick kickflips, but to treat weapons as tools and not just default to a sick cool desert eagle equivalent every chance you get because "it's the bestest most powerful handgun!!" Work out what the job requires, then pick something appropriate.
If you meant that the books have more depth or something, this is some pretty banal poo poo. Is it a YA series?

Either way the show's aesthetic and concepts are totally sweet so I intend to keep watching in spite of the overacting and cheesy "deep" dialogue.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

If you meant that the books have more depth or something, this is some pretty banal poo poo. Is it a YA series?

Not even close, the books are unapologetically gory at times and the young-adult summercamp planet stuff is all unique to the series. The books aren't navel-gazingly deep or anything either, they're just competent well-told narratives and well worth a read. The problem with the series take is it badly wants to ride the book's plot directly while still tacking on a whole lot of stupid cliche bullshit the writers cooked up.

Without adjusting the original adapted narrative to account for any of their own ideas or changes.

As a result it turns into a wee bit of a plot-holed trainwreck by the end.

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm accomplishing this with the FF button on my remote .

And I agree, they fudged that part of the story bad and a less-is-more approach would have been great. Keep the main character mysterious

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Hi everyone.
I am trying to remember how many times I've read the Kovacs trilogy. It's at least three times, maybe as many as five. I've also read Market Forces twice, and each of the "Land Fit For Heroes" books once or twice.

I'm not going to nit-pick although that's par for this forum.

I just finished Altered Carbon on Netflix (in 4K, loving gorgeous) and overall I'm pleased as hell. The main thing that made me want to nitpick was swapping out Hendrix for Poe. I never thought of the underlying licensing issues and now I understand, and have no further qualms.

I didn't much care for Kovacs' training being from the Protectorate when I knew the Envoys were the Protectorate DHF super-people, and yeah, the changes to Quell, making her contemporary to Kovacs, and even making her the inventor of the cortical stacks, I just decided to roll with it because the rest of the show was so drat good.

I guess if anything disappointed me it was making Rei his sister, and robbing me of that final scene of Kovacs taking that evil bitch out the window with a micro-grenade pressed against her stack.

Also, I noticed they only talked about the alien tech as "Elder tech" and I don't recall a single mention of Mars, so I suspect that's being written out entirely (for me it was the first appearance of the Songspire Tree, which was rocky and rusty like Mars, and no mention of mustard and cherries, and drat this common thing in Sci-Fi now where everything futuristic glows blue like in The Expanse or the new Trek or like everywhere.

I was glad to see the Rawleigh virus make an appearance, and to get to watch a RKM BAMF novel on my big screen, that was loving cool even with the warts.

I would actually prefer to see Woken Furies adapted next. There's just a lot there, even though I liked the first book more; on re-reads the second book grew on me because it may not be as noir (think: Blade Runner) but it sure was a great detective/mystery novel, which a lot of RKM's trademark unanswered questions.

Visually it was fantastic. Old fans of Blade Runner (I mean old, I was in my 20s when the Director's Edition started hitting theaters) would immediately recognize those Blade Runner visual cues, like the people on bicycles with lights on them, the constant dark and rain on the street level, and of course the ubiquitous clear umbrellas, huge advertising, and so on. Man it looked amazing in 4K.

It was cool watching Tak own, but of course no adaptation lives up to what everyone wants and I am no different. I accept it for what it is and I'm grateful for it.

Reminder: Richard Morgan mentions a long time ago in some foreward or author's notes that it was some media company buying an option on this novel that allowed him to write full-time. I doubt this was produced under the same option, considering the length of time since then; but it hardly matters to me. They gave it to Netflix, made a full 10 hours out of it, and I am more satisfied than I expected to be. The big pluses are the casting of Kovacs, Elias/Kovacs, Ortega, Dimitri, several other characters (especially the cross-sleeving bits which really hit hard), and Rei might have been completely re-written but she still was cast well.

I could talk for pages about what I wish were included or cut from the show, but I'm amazed I even got to watch it. I lost my poo poo when I saw it was on Netflix (it's my girl's account and I never bothered to look) and after Ep One I decided it was worth the time. In the end, I feel it was very well done even if it was another adaptation that could have been truer to the source.

I just wonder if the Elder Tech is going to even involve Mars at all, unless I missed a line of dialogue somewhere.

I agree that the Envoys should not be a Falconer invention. I agree Kovacs should not have been her contemporary. I agree the sister should not have been written in. I'm bummed Kovacs didn't get to attack Head In The Clouds in some crazy awesome Ninja sleeve with an anti-gravity harness and "dosed to the eyes" with Reaper. But you get what you get and I enjoyed it.

Thanks for reading.

Aww crap, I forgot to say, "Like I said, I'm not from around here."

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 06:38 on May 31, 2018

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
As far as wanting Woken Furies adopted next, I have good news and I have bad news. The good news is, they’re not doing Broken Angels. The bad news is, they’re not going to adapt a book at all!

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/altered-carbon/news/a859437/altered-carbon-season-2-skips-next-takeshi-kovacs-novel/

Shows basically dead to me.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

As far as wanting Woken Furies adopted next, I have good news and I have bad news. The good news is, they’re not doing Broken Angels. The bad news is, they’re not going to adapt a book at all!

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/altered-carbon/news/a859437/altered-carbon-season-2-skips-next-takeshi-kovacs-novel/

:ohdear: Based on what people have posted here, the changes they made were mostly for the worse(except for Rei being Tak's sister imo).

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

:ohdear: Based on what people have posted here, the changes they made were mostly for the worse(except for Rei being Tak's sister imo).

Yeah, I’m not one to bitch just because an adaptation changed something, but they universally changed things in the most cliche or batshit stupid ways they could.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Netflix hasn't ordered a second season yet either, so it might be dead to them too.

Yeah, I’m not one to bitch just because an adaptation changed something, but they universally changed things in the most cliche or batshit stupid ways they could.

This has pretty much been the opinion of everyone in the thread that's read the book.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jun 14, 2018

ultrabay2000
Jan 1, 2010

It's almost like you could take out half of the show and it would be a decent show. It just has all this extra stupid poo poo on it, like a badly riced civic. A decent enough car but covered in plastic autozone garbage because someone thought adding fake vents to the fenders was a sensible and stylish thing to do.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Man that sucks, because we'll probably get some dumb thing about Quell returning and a whole bunch of boring rear end poo poo about feelings rather than exploring cool sci fi concepts and titties.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
Martha Higareda is very pretty

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

twistedmentat posted:

Man that sucks, because we'll probably get some dumb thing about Quell returning and a whole bunch of boring rear end poo poo about feelings rather than exploring cool sci fi concepts and titties.

They've stated in interviews that they think the Quell romance was a big draw for the show and there'll be more in season two!!

To be honest, I'm on the fence for the show getting another season; Short of replacing the writers and director it's simply impossible for them to make something original, so it'd be a mercy-killing more than anything to end it now. On the other hand, however, I'm curious to see how colossal a trainwreck they'd make left to their own devices.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They've stated in interviews that they think the Quell romance was a big draw for the show and there'll be more in season two!!

You've gotta be making GBS threads me. Ugh.

I just started the third book, and man would it be cool to adapt into TV. deCom groups and the Yakuza? Sign me the gently caress up.

Hell, even the second book as just an Indiana Jones-esque fun romp would be dope. But nooooo, they wanna stick with their terrible plot changes of Tak/Quell's love story, and with her creating the stacks. :suicide:

I guess if it's still just a gorgeous show I'll get reallllllllly high and watch it. But that's really the only thing it's got going for it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Yeah, the fact that someone on the creative team is huffing their own farts regarding the Quell Bad YA Novel stuff is not encouraging.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Yeah, the fact that someone on the creative team is huffing their own farts regarding the Quell Bad YA Novel stuff is not encouraging.

The part of the series that everyone liked the most!

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012
That link doesn't say anything about a second season including a Quell/Kovacs love-in though?
It does say that Kinnaman is unlikely to return and that future seasons would be in a self-contained anthology format and "not in the same place with the same people".

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

EmptyVessel posted:

That link doesn't say anything about a second season including a Quell/Kovacs love-in though?
It does say that Kinnaman is unlikely to return and that future seasons would be in a self-contained anthology format and "not in the same place with the same people".

Different interview. It's linked somewhere several pages back.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012
So an earlier interview that may have been superseded by later decisions?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Books are for nerds and I liked the show because campy sex scenes don’t bug me and have their place in Noir.

However Quell doesn’t make sense from literally any narrative standpoint. I’m definitely going to watch another season but I agree with book nerds that Quell sucks and forest ninja playplace was dumb

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bust Rodd posted:

Books are for nerds and I liked the show because campy sex scenes don’t bug me and have their place in Noir.

However Quell doesn’t make sense from literally any narrative standpoint. I’m definitely going to watch another season but I agree with book nerds that Quell sucks and forest ninja playplace was dumb

The problem we have is Quell and the Young Adult Superhero Camp stuff are all the writer's own initiative, while the good parts of the show all came from the book, and anything past here is all from the writers. Coming from a perspective of having read the book and knowing what came from where in the show (along with how aspects were changed), it's very easy to recognize just how one-sided the quality is between the source material and the writer's efforts.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jun 15, 2018

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The problem we have is Quell and the Young Adult Superhero Camp stuff are all the writer's own initiative, while the good parts of the show all came from the book, and anything past here is all from the writers. Coming from a perspective of having read the book and knowing what came from where in the show (along with how aspects were changed), it's very easy to recognize just how one-sided the quality is between the source material and the writer's efforts.

So Poe wasn't created for the show? Wish you readers would make up your minds.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
No, Poe was adapted from a book character that they couldn't use for licensing reasons.

If you'd said abuela, you'd have pinged on literally the only good thing the show writers thought up.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Poe is pretty different from the Hendrix, to the point where you could make a solid argument that the showwriters deserve credit.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Poe and Abuela were absolute highlights for me, but I actually enjoyed pretty much everything and I’m super grateful they changed the “I’m digitally raping you as a woman” scene to be less horrible, but the only part of the show I really thought was dumb was Quell’s “Weakness of Weapons” speech. That whole scene was just loving insipid Ewok-Matrix voodoo bullshit and the fact they they kept cutting back to it in like nearly half the episodes didn’t make it any easier to stomach

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Poe and abuela are pretty much the only good things the writers came up with themselves.

Woken Furies question: I just got past the deCom team and Tak blowing the temple and faking their death so they can find Jad and Tak new sleeves, but I think I must've just missed a partial explanation of the command heads, what Sylvie is? They have external processors in the shape of hair and stuff, and that lets them network together their deCom team, right? But they can also just connect to like, almost any broadcast? Also, wincefish? What now?

• Locked thread