Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

The PnP RPG Eclipse Phase is to Altered Carbon what Shadowrun is to Neuromancer.

Yeah, it's so cribbed from Altered Carbon it's not funny, like uses the same terminology like "cortical stacks", "neurchem" (which is basically wired reflexes), and "needlecast", but it borrows from other contemporary science fiction, like David Brin's Uplift universe, Peter Watts, etc.

It's also more like the post-apocalypse of Altered Carbon: Earth got Terminatored, with most of humanity reduced to a billion or two across the solar system and a few exoplanets. And not many people escaped with their bodies, being held in some horrible immigration limbo as infugees or having to make due in synth bodies. While most people think the worst is behind them, it's not, with humanity on the brink thanks to people not leaving poo poo That Man Has No Business Dealing With.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Gaunab posted:

Finished it and liked it. This show continues what Westworld started: giving huge prosthetic penises to living sex dolls.

Also vote to change the subtitle of this thread to "Protect ya neck"

Needs a shot of Stronghold Kovacs with his neck protector. It took me a bit to realize that's what it actual is, it's just missing the front panel used for ballistic throat protection.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

zoux posted:

Oooh wee Time magizines review

I'm not sure she actually watched the show.

I think the way the did Kovacs' former Asian bodies was rather well-done. While Kinnaman obviously takes the most of the runtime as Kovacs, I thought Will Yun Lee was in this enough to convince me that he was also Kovacs.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The big fat disks as Stacks is needlessly dumb; The book version is a small featureless cylinder about the size of the tip of your pinkie-finger, and the whole point is how simple and mundane functional immortality is made by such a tiny simple thing. Injected at birth at the base of the skull, nigh-indestructible unless you point a gun right at the thing, there's your life backed up. Try not to die.

It's been awhile since I've read the book and most of it has been confused with how stuff from Eclipse Phase, but yeah, I remember stacks being a lot more resilient.

My only major disappointment is that we go with snuff prostitution with added child rape just because it seems like the standard go-to for pure sexual perversion. I mean where's the Meth version of Louis C.K. or where the Meth who got the rape fantasy where he's the one getting raped?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Basticle posted:

That was such a weird set-up for me. The workers all acted like they had a completely normal 9-5 job (they even have sensitivity training for christs sake) but even without the weird organ harvesting, it seems what they were doing was super duper illegal

The Wei Clinic guys being all super blase about the torture and organlegging is supposed to be pretty weird, because it's that Meth attitude toward death that's rubbing off on the groundsiders.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

My favorite part about that sequence were the fun icons they had to spawn stuff in VR :v:

That's the second favorite part

My favorite part is Kovacs getting up and wasting everyone after he sees the parted-out hooker.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Spatula City posted:

Everything is ludicrously on-the-nose in this series, it's kind of great. If there's any complaints I have about it, it's that it sort of loses the plot of the Bancroft mystery, and then belatedly remembers to wrap it up.

Also, jfc Kovacs' sister is just a complete irredeemable demon shitbird. Like, when we come back to Bancroft near the end, it really makes him, and even his wife seem likable and human by comparison. It was EXTREMELY on the nose to make Kovacs' sister the complete embodiment of everything Quell feared.
I think it's fascinating that possibly like, at max 3 of the main cast will appear in season 2. If Kinnaman returns, it'll be as Elias Ryker, and they'll either get a new guy for Kovacs, or have him played by the same guy who played OG Kovacs. Ortega could come back, I guess. but Rei, her crazy henchman, and Poe are dead, and Elliot's plot is wrapped up, as is the Bancrofts'.

I want James Purefoy and Kristin Lehman to show up next season and have it explained that Laurens and Miriam had all their clone sleeves confiscated and it was a boon for all the unlucky stiffs because no other Meth would touch them

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

ATP_Power posted:

Technically interstellar travel is possible, but you can only go anywhere quickly between already inhabited worlds (If I remember right it takes "several lifetimes" to travel physically to Earth from Harlan's world) so even a Meth can't hop on a ship and go exploring the galaxy Star Trek style, since star hopping takes an absurd amount of time. So if you want to explore the stars, you're talking years and years of solitude on a ship with nothing but what you bring with you. Given the types of Meth shown in the show, that doesn't sound like something they'd be interested in.

More likely spaceships would be "virtual", crewed entirely by stacks and robots, with 3D printers to print out sleeves, food, equipment, etc. when they actually get there. And that's not if the range is short enough that it would be easier to needlecast to another planet or habitat.

Speaking of 3D printers, you know the whole reason that organic 3D printer is probably illegal is that it's an IP thing as well as Psychasec doesn't want the competition. This show is a Rentism dystopia, like In Time.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

So, in honor of Altered Carbon premiere on Netflix, Posthuman Studios is having a sale on DriveThru RPG for Eclipse Phase (first edition) for $1.10

http://drivethrurpg.com/product/64135?affiliate_id=77000

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Rinkles posted:

One more thing: they barely went into what being an Envoy entailed or really meant besides the (occasional) NEO-vision and good intuition. Just spending time with Quell gave him minor super powers? Was this omitted to leave something for the sequel or something the writers weren't certain how to adapt from the book (which I haven't read).

I'm pooping a bit on this show, but I liked it. Very watchable. Not enough tv cyberpunk out there.

I didn't catch until the 8th episode or so that the X-ray vision wasn't a special power, but something his wristband could do. So, it's just some equipment he had that could project images of things behind walls.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Rinkles posted:

Oh, I guess I missed that.

Yeah, I'll pinpoint it exactly when I found out when he's hiding out in the jetcar's trunk, he turns his black wristband on, there's a light coming out of it that when viewed from his POV, renders the two Head In The Clouds goons as they approach on the inside of the trunk wall. I too thought it was special powers or just how his intuition worked, but nope, just some fancy gear.

I swear the wristband came up at another point I think when he got knocked out by Dimi at Jack It Off, he takes off the band, which I guess allowed for Vernon to find him later.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

TBF, the skinhead doesn't make a whole lot of sense mostly because, 500 years out, who knows if any of the symbology he's tattooed with even has an impact or importance.

The only reason I could think of is largely because he's easily identifiable as an antisocial scumbag for modern day audiences instead of inventing some new 26th century equivalent of racial supremacy.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

As in actually offworld. Kovacs is from a planet called Harlan's World.

And, as Seagoon explained earlier, there's little reason for people travelling between the Settled Worlds unless they're planet-hopping Meths, elite off-world mercenaries, or, more likely, CTAC.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Elissimpark posted:

Rank in order of preference:
- clone
- self from alternate dimension
- self from future and/or past
- computer simulation of self

Where does gender-swapped self fall into this or is that already a given?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

Stacks would be much cooler if it only worked for humans I think, because then it gives aliens a reason to be afraid of us instead of just laughing at our absurd external genitalia

As someone whose played Eclipse Phase, wrong. Getting humans into non-human bodies is some interesting poo poo, and vice-versa. Of course, Eclipse Phase morphs/sleeves tend to default to octopi as the preferred morph since most environments are going to be zero-gravity. It's almost a running gag, since they have uplift octopi, robot octopi, and the Reaper, which is a giant synth sleeve that's basically a flying tank turret with four arms and four rocket-powered legs.

Also, EP kind of ruined the ending for me because I kept thinking that Kovacs should have third-forked his DHF into an Octomorph, given it a jetpack and a bunch of guns and swords, and used that as a backup when everything went pearshaped. Like have Kovacs Squid rocket into the room through a window with eight katanas and blenderize the Ghostwalker and Reileen's goons

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's something they should have been doing in this season. But, no, the best they can manage is "Stacks prevent real death so LET'S SHOOT EVERYONE THROUGH THE STACK FOR DRAMA! :pseudo:". It's not even a hard thing to take advantage of in several parts of the series;

Ortega's life-long uncle-like figure, who was a devout Muslim, just got killed and is now resleeved in a body that is contemporary with her own age (if not younger) and is now asian/caucasian/black.

I was actually thinking about that Samir gets put into a woman's body and struggles with his Muslim upbringing trying to figure if he needs to wear a hijab or not.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Ortega's entire family got butchered by Leung and their stacks are perfectly intact, but because of her mother's loving outdated religious beliefs she legally cannot even spin them up in VR or resleeve them. Not even her little brothers.

I'll be honest, I thought that actually happened. I mean, I figured early on that the Ghostwalker's weapon is a stack extractor.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

AlternateAccount posted:

I have only gotten into the second episode of this, but has anyone else noticed that James Purefoy is slowly becoming William Shatner?

That's not right, you never seen Shatner's swinging dong.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Caganer posted:

she is extremely hot

that and they bond through shared experience :shrug:

She's got some rockin' tiddies. I was legit surprised in the nude scenes.

I was a bit disappointed when Kristin Lehman was first announced, because she initially didn't look anything I pictured Mrs. Bancroft in the books. She's supposed to be looking like late teens-early twenties, thanks to cloning and medical science, and one of the memorable descriptions called her "pneumatic": the girl that Elliot meets in the club would actually be the closest to what I think Bancroft from the books looked like. But I think she looked great in the finished product.

(sorry for being a creep)

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

double nine posted:

"hey, we're going to do some promo photoshoots for the show, that okay with you?"
"sure, what's the costume, my leather jacket?"
"well...."

Haha, what?

I thought that was like personal headshots (demonstrating range) or promo shots from something else.

Not that Netflix and the Altered Carbon producers aren't playing up the sex appeal. I saw a post they did on Facebook going over the "Cyber Hunks" of Altered Carbon.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Caganer posted:

so do headshots = stack death or does he have to hit the neck specifically?

there's a ton of headshots when he breaks out of the torture company, including the guy his partner promised not to kill, and i'm not clear if they're dead or Real Death'd™

The head shots sleeve-killed them, but you see him going around that room shooting them again, so he was basically ensuring that they would never come back.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Binary Logic posted:

I expected or hoped for a Robert Heinlein All You Zombies twist in which a stack is duped and put into the body of opposite gender sleeve so a meth could effectively have sex with him/herself.

That's how Dimi the Twin masturbates.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Ugly In The Morning posted:

In the books, the biotechnology is just so much better that if you’re shelling out that kind of money, it makes sense to go with the reflexes that make the world go all slow-mo, or can climb walls like a gecko, over some dumb robot leg.

I think that it's also established that resleeving is cheaper to medical treatment. The married fighters even complain about it when Kovacs breaks that one guy's leg in the fight. As well, the doctors working on Ortega are completely willing to sacrifice her body until Kovacs buys her a cyberarm.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Metropolis posted:

You make sci fi in Canada, you have scenes in a bigass forest whether you want to or not.

It's either that or that rock quarry that was home to more seasons of Stargate SGI-1 than you can count.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Caganer posted:

i really liked the whole plotline with Poe / The Hotel

the idea of these AIs that are sentient isn't explored super thoroughly but very interesting.

why even send humans to the stars if ais can effectively mimic us?

(when that nyt ufo story broke i thought a lot about this idea - that maybe ufos visit us, but they're not manned)

Poe's also a change from the books, probably one of the better ones, because the original A.I. was modelled after Jimmy Hendrix and doesn't actually do a whole lot.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

wellwhoopdedooo posted:

Can't remember where I saw it, some behind-the-scenes thing, but it wasn't even about money (from what they said, grain of salt because Hollywoo and all that). The Hendrix estate just has rules about how much violence is allowed to be associated with his image. Mad respek nukkles, although the show hosed up the change again--Poe was not nearly trippy enough. They lost the "Cheshire Cat" aspect that the books had, could have definitely gotten that with Poe.

The people who currently run the Hendrix estate are notorious copyright trolls. Mark Mothersbaugh has a story about when they tried to do a DVD version of The Complete Truth About De-Evolution in 2003, which had been released ten years prior for LaserDisc. They couldn't use the music video of their cover of Hendrix's "Are U Experienced" due to the Hendrix estate for the DVD release, despite being okay with it for the twenty years before. On the DVD, the band put this disclaimer...

quote:

DEVO regrets that 'Are U Experienced?' is not included in the program. The current executors of the Jimi Hendrix estate were determined to prove to us the old adage - 'To seek permission is to seek denial'.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

drunkill posted:

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1022874251974459392

I guess it'll air sometime late next year if they're only casting now.

gently caress YES.

Wouldn't this also be more in line with Kovacs' sleeve in "Broken Angels"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

I thought Ergo Proxy was considered good?

It has it's moments but the bad outweigh the good. Like, the first couple of episodes, you think it's about this cool goth lady with a shotgun Blade-Running a domed dystopia. Then it turns into bipolar Tenchi (who occasionally transforms into a Cool Dude) and his teddy-bear-pajama-wearing lolibot.

• Locked thread