Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Josh Lyman posted:

Let's assume that the criminal justice system in Altered Carbon doesn't care about prisoner rehabilitation, which seems reasonable. The question then becomes, why don't they extract more value out of prisoners?

They get a lot of value out of prisoners. Mind goes to jail, body goes to the highest bidder (or someone pays a massive mortgage fee to keep your meat reserved). In a society of nigh immortals labor won't be an issue, so the prisoners sleeves are a high value item

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Should have made him neither white nor asian!

Get like Zahn McClarnon up in here

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Proteus Jones posted:

I don’t know who that actor was, but I hope he has a successful career because he was absolutely fantastic.

Matt Biedel. Certainly sold that new look

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Rhyno posted:

That's what it looks like. I'd like to see that explored down the line. Like what if you're copied without knowing and run into yourself at some point? How do you prove who's data is the original?

Syzygy Stardust posted:

And what if you met a younger, idealistic version of yourself sent to kill you.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Zaphod42 posted:

everybody lives forever in this society.

Only people that can afford new sleeves live forever. The one little girl only got a new free lovely sleeve because she was a vehicular homicide or something. Anyone that just dies is dead barring having enough money to buy something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Zaphod42 posted:

No and that's another thing that's awkward. Its the Demolition man problem. "you've been rehabilitated by being frozen for 1000 years" doesn't really make sense. Its just a time jump. That's what I'm saying.

Demolition man explicitly calls out that they're basically being brainwashed the entire time. Hence why Stallone is all "Don't worry, I can patch that" when Bullock tore her sweater then was immediately all "Did I just say that?"

It's also why Snipes knew all the codes to get out, because the mayor loaded him up with combat skills and how to escape the prison

• Locked thread