Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Locked thread
drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Fallen Rib

Season 1 Teaser: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8PsZki6NGU

What is Altered Carbon?

Synopsis posted:

Based on the 2002 novel by Richard K. Morgan, Altered Carbon is set in the far-future of the 26th century where death is practically a thing of the past, for the rich. Breakthroughs in medical technology mean that, at birth, every single human is fitted with a “cortical stack”which immediately begins recording your memories, your skills, your intelligence, and the general state of your neural impulses which make up “you.” Should death befall your body, your stack is simply removed and placed into a new “sleeve.”
Basically Blade Runner crossed with Deus Ex and Demolition Man but with Real Death shootouts/executions, naked low gravity kung foo fights and bloodsports.

Please keep all bookspoilers in spoilertags (with a lose description of what the spoiler is about, tv show, book, third book etc)

Characters:

Takashi Kovacs 'O.G.' (Will Yun Lee) was born and raised on Harlan's World; a former UN Protectorate Envoy — a type of special forces soldier, part intelligence operative and part shock trooper — trained to adapt quickly to new bodies and new environments.

Takeshi Kovacs (Joel Kinnaman) Envoys are used as 'peacekeepers' by the governing UN Protectorate to fight in conflicts, crush planetary unrest and maintain political stability in settled worlds via re-sleeving. Kovacs awakes to find himself in a new body on Earth, over a century after his death.

Kristin Ortega (Martha Higareda), a Bay City police officer in the Organic Damage Division who's fed up with corruption, lies and loss.

Laurens Bancroft (James Purefoy) hires Kovacs to investigate his own murder. He is not just Earth’s wealthiest man. He is one of the wealthiest men in the Settled Worlds.

Trailers:

Teaser 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qM7Eob4YFDQ
Teaser 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8PsZki6NGU (linked above)
Official Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhFM8akm9a4

Should I read the book?
Sure, if you want to. The books aren't amazing but they're pretty decent cyberpunk/sci-fi reads. However the show should stand on its own and they have made some alterations to the story for TV.

Some changes will be made to accommodate the second and third books into the first seasons storyline as well. Other changes have been made for the tv adaptation:

What is different from the books? (No spoilers)
The Hendrix Hotel, a central location in the book is now The Raven and inspired by Edgar Allan Poe. This is due to the rights around the likeness and music of Jimi Hendrix.
Poe, the AI hotel is a character in the story now and has quite a few scenes.
It seems the like the Envoys have a modified agenda now of opposing widespread re-sleeving.
Suntouch House is now in a very tall skyscraper rather than a beachside estate.

Poster:

drunkill fucked around with this message at Feb 3, 2018 around 02:22

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Fallen Rib

They're promoting the hell out of though.

Sure netflix do a big billboard push for their big shows here normally on tram, train and bus stops but the other day I heard a radio ad for Altered Carbon.

I have never heard a netflix radio ad in the past.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Fallen Rib

Just finished the series, it was pretty good overall I reckon. Episode 7 felt like a movie, great cinematography and the ravine setpeice was impressive, especially when it was all covered in ash.

Development posted:

this. also jfc I am really enjoying this show. the backpack is probably my favourite prop.

Just like the backpack in The Expanse!

MrMojok posted:

Were there ever any games like this, with neurachem upgrades to the body in a cyberpunk type setting?

Deus Ex: Human Revolution, that has a similar setting but revolves around augmentations and implants, it is where the quote in the thread title is from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kq5KWLqUewc

drunkill fucked around with this message at Feb 4, 2018 around 15:15

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Fallen Rib

This thread sure is something awful.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Fallen Rib

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1022874251974459392

I guess it'll air sometime late next year if they're only casting now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Fallen Rib

So Netflix is making an animated series for Altered Carbon.

quote:

Netflix is furthering its global push. At the company's first ever content showcase in Asia, the streamer unveiled a collection of new original series and films from Japan, Taiwan, Thailand and South Korea.

The projects — which include a Pacific Rim anime series and an Altered Carbon anime feature — join one-hundred new and returning originals across eight countries in Asia through 2019, as Netflix increases its investment in Asian stories and storytellers.

Altered Carbon. This anime feature, set in the same universe of the Netflix live-action sci-fi series (second season in production from Skydance Television), will explore new elements of the story mythology. Writer: Dai Sato (Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo) and Tsukasa Kondo. Animation Studio: Anima.

• Locked thread