Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!
i mean come on, somebody having an existential crisis right here in this thread is just too perfect.

Hey dummy. You’re religious. Learn to be comfortable wirh “I don’t know” before you go off the deep end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

AlternateAccount posted:

Goddammit you guys, I don't want to read this poo poo. :mad:

Rate it against the Expanse novels? I'd say those were middling to kinda good.

Expanse is a D&D aventuture. Kovacs trilogy has something to say. It’s often stupid, and wrong, or both, but it’s literature as its ambition. Expanse has some really high-brow ideas, but it’s pulp first, and you have to give it the benefit of the doubt. Kovacs has some really entertaing plot points, but it’s a Randian vehicle first.

If I hadn’t read A Land Fit for Heroes (the best sarcastic title I’ve ever read), I’d call it pure pulp, but Morgan got a couple synapses firing. gently caress anyone who says not to enjoy it. Really wanted to recommend it to the person looking for human relationships with vast AIs, but this series is too witholding to satisfy that itch—I think it’s as close as we’ll ever come to talking to AlphaGo, though.

Expanse definitely has moments of brilliance, though. 137 times a second, it reaches out, it reaches out, it reaches out. Made my loving skin crawl.

ALFfH: Heads on stumps scenes? Sorry, if that didn’t freak you out you’re a god drat robot. Scariest poo poo I ever read

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

Young Freud posted:

Poe's also a change from the books, probably one of the better ones, because the original A.I. was modelled after Jimmy Hendrix and doesn't actually do a whole lot.

Can't remember where I saw it, some behind-the-scenes thing, but it wasn't even about money (from what they said, grain of salt because Hollywoo and all that). The Hendrix estate just has rules about how much violence is allowed to be associated with his image. Mad respek nukkles, although the show hosed up the change again--Poe was not nearly trippy enough. They lost the "Cheshire Cat" aspect that the books had, could have definitely gotten that with Poe.

• Locked thread