Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Rei dying n-teen times failing to down Ortega was like really dumb of her. I guess it was arrogance, but you'd think she'd learn after the first couple of failures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Was the 50 years w/o a guest comment from Poe an exaggeration? How'd he pay the rent or upkeep? Wouldn't he get evicted (even if he is the hotel)?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The AI Hotels own themselves outright, they're not just attendants.

So he subsisted on what wealth he had? (utilities like electricity presumably aren't free)

I didn't quite catch why people avoided ai hotels. Because they were too clingy? Or was that just Poe?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

One more thing: they barely went into what being an Envoy entailed or really meant besides the (occasional) NEO-vision and good intuition. Just spending time with Quell gave him minor super powers? Was this omitted to leave something for the sequel or something the writers weren't certain how to adapt from the book (which I haven't read).

I'm pooping a bit on this show, but I liked it. Very watchable. Not enough tv cyberpunk out there.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Young Freud posted:

I didn't catch until the 8th episode or so that the X-ray vision wasn't a special power, but something his wristband could do. So, it's just some equipment he had that could project images of things behind walls.

Oh, I guess I missed that.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Synth bodies also require regular maintenance.

I expected --Rei-- to at least have some Kristin-style cyborg enhancements

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I enjoyed Poe but his character felt a bit tonally out of place.

Le Saboteur posted:

And drat if this doesn't look like a million bucks, looks like the most expensive thing Netflix has produced yet.

It did, but after all the Hollywood-grade stuff, some of the Envoy flashback scenes felt like a SYFY original (with writing to match).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Does the book go into more detail about being put on ice? People remain conscious during its duration, right?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

thetechnoloser posted:

They do go into a *little* more detail, and no, they do not remain conscious.

-----Rei's-- frenzied reaction to the prospect of being put back on ice made me think it was particularly unpleasant.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The big thug with the exoskeleton arms is supposed to be one, incidentally.

That spindly thing was an entirely unconvincing prop.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

viral spiral posted:

And I got a bit teary when the hotel AI guy was dying slowly by that neo-Catholic oval office. :smith:

I'm pretty sure Leung wasn't neo-Catholic

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Definitely some amazingly cool fight scenes, and again some really clever sci-fi ideas. But man some of the writing is just dumb and contradictory. Or unnecessary and cliche.

I thought most of the fight scenes were crap (though probably no worse than most American TV)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Any murmurs of a sequel yet?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Collateral posted:

She was with him all the time.

Unbeknownst to Kovacs, his left arm is actually cybernetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

General Battuta posted:

Then just have the meat fork euthanized when you upload. This is exactly what happens in your day to day life - new self overwrites old in a linear progression.

Doesn't this kind of analogy require a much better understanding of the functioning of our consciousness, and a comprehensive description of the mechanism by which mind transfer would occur? I don't think it's at all self-evident that sleep is analogous to whatever that would involve.

• Locked thread