Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Polaron posted:

Here's what's going on: Head in the Clouds has a whole level devoted to letting the rich and powerful murderrape their way through prostitutes, who are all willing because gently caress, it's just a sleeve. The thing is, even by the standards of the Altered Carbon world that's considered really depraved, and Head in the Clouds is all about being Discerning and Discrete. So Rei has figured out a way to recode the prostitutes so that they're in the system as Neo Catholic, which prevents them from being spun up or resleeved, thus keeping the Iridium-level clientele's identities a secret. Which is tied into Proposal 653, which was designed to allow murder victims to be spun back up regardless of religious coding. They weren't marketing Real Death to the Iridium-level clients. Even they thought it was just a sleeve and that the hookers would be brought back. Remember, Bancroft was an Iridium-level client and while he got off on killing hookers he always made sure to buy them an upgraded sleeve if it happened and when he finds out he accidentally hosed a hooker so hard her stack shattered he actually feels legitimately horrible.

And Bancroft isn’t the only person who has a vested interest in Rei’s security. If she goes down, a lot of very powerful people go down with her. That is another reason she kills her employees for real.

ATP_Power posted:

A few questions I have for book readers.Are there any downsides to synth bodies? Given the nature of the setting, a more Ghost in the Shell type of situation where biological sleeves would be more of an anachronistic tendency among those in Riker and Kovac's lines of work seems more plausible.

Synth bodies are lovely and not all that much cheaper than flesh. I don’t know why it is so, but it is.

Synths aren’t critical to the plot of the books and I think they could have been dropped to avoid questions like this without losing much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Rinkles posted:

So he subsisted on what wealth he had? (utilities like electricity presumably aren't free)

Maybe it’s like the One Times Square situation: a big empty building on prime real estate that pays the bills by being plastered with advertising.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
My number one complaint about the show: Harlan’s World shouldn’t look like British Columbia.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiDpaM2r72A

Envoys are basically everything Marcus Brody is touted to be, but also SEAL Team Six.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
My personal explanation for the stacks is that they grow with the wearer because they are made with ~magic alien biotech~.

All the stacks we’ve seen are the same size, but I don’t think we saw any children’s stacks.

There is still no excuse not to implant them at birth.

Also, I want to say that immortality is cool & good and Quell’s plot to end everyone’s live at one hundred years of age is tantamount to murder on a scale greater than Hitler.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

isoprenaline posted:

Quick question.

Does the scene from the book where Kovacs is transferred to a woman’s body, and then tortured for days, happen in the series?

I don’t mind fighting violence but torture repels me. I don’t want to watch that (or start my wife watching it and then that pops up) unless it is far milder than the book version.

Feel free to provide spoilers if required.

No, they don’t sexually assault a young girl on screen. Joel Kinnaman is the only actor who plays Kovacs in the Wei Clinic virtual torture scenes.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Proteus Jones posted:

tbf in the book it's not child. It's small statured woman of around 20, if I recall correctly. I haven't done a full re-read, but I had to recently look up the passage for someone else.

It’s chapter thirteen. The wording is “a woman’s body, young, no more than twenty years old”

Older than I remembered, but still Roy Moore’s type.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Gyges posted:

Kids seem like an interesting issue when mom or dad get resleeved. Do they just use some of their original sleeve's DNA to make kids or do they just roll with the DNA of the new sleeve. Like the couple that make a living of fighting each other to the death, are their kids just completely genetically unrelated?

I assume they had kids before they started their careers.

…unless it’s possible to put a pregnant sleeve on life support. That has some troubling implications.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

bring back old gbs posted:

What's with "meth"? Where does the term come from?

It comes from Methuselah, the person with the longest lifespan noted in the Bible.

Genesis 5:27, KJV posted:

And all the days of Methuselah were nine hundred sixty and nine years

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Yeah, nearly everyone is living indefinitely, but few people get to experience all that many years.

Bodies are really expensive. When you go to prison, your body gets rented out to whomever can pay for it.

A person from a poor family might as well be in a stasis pod drifting in interstellar space: they could theoretically be woken up, but it’s unlikely. It’s hardly a life.

Zaphod42 posted:

If Neo-C believers think its a sin to have a second life and you shouldn't do it, why do they have stacks?! Why wouldn't they be 100% organic? What is the purpose of a stack if you don't respawn?

I’m sure Neo Catholics would like that, but they don’t have enough pull. The government says you have to have a stack, full stop.

It’s useful in cases like renouncing the faith or if 653 passed or just if a Catholic goes to prison and now the government gets to rent out their sleeve.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Zaphod42 posted:

Not sure what you're talking about with the girl from ep 1... I think you've confused things.

She says “Daddy, please don’t put me back in the dark again.”

Storage isn’t a virtual paradise.

I don’t know why the dead don’t get VR sessions or why clones and synths are both so expensive, but that’s the way it is.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

bring back old gbs posted:

EDIT : oh yeah there is some weird time dilation in the dark, or maybe that's just in VR? Because Poe was able to give that lady a ton of training in a short amount of time.

VR is capable of time dilation.

The books go into it more. It maxes out at a few hundred times real time, IIRC. Portable systems are capable of less.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Fututor Magnus posted:

also, speaking of stacks, there were mentions of stacks that are centuries old that just lay around and are collected to be sold in markets. if you were to revive any of these stacks with sleeves, do you basically own them?

why didn't rey just buy a bunch of these old discarded stacks to make up the "working" force in her brothel? they'd have no connection to anyone, and no rights. besides, rey seems to have more than enough stacks around.

its seems absolutely foolish to recruit your sex workers from the general population who have connections, family etc. when the whole draw of her business is that these prostitutes can be raped and murdered and forgotten, and she rig'd them up to real death.

Legally, no, but basically, yeah.

Fututor Magnus posted:

why didn't rey just buy a bunch of these old discarded stacks to make up the "working" force in her brothel? they'd have no connection to anyone, and no rights. besides, rey seems to have more than enough stacks around.

its seems absolutely foolish to recruit your sex workers from the general population who have connections, family etc. when the whole draw of her business is that these prostitutes can be raped and murdered and forgotten, and she rig'd them up to real death.

Mounds of loose stacks only exist after protracted, planet‐wide wars of the sort Earth hasn’t had since stacks were developed.

Also, those people are hosed in the head. Finding decent soldier material among them is hard enough, and soldiering has a higher tolerance for psychotic tendencies than high‐end hooking.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

navyjack posted:

It’s never said explicitly but the normal “bombardment from orbit” tactics don’t work on Harlan’s World because the Martian defense satellites still work, are uncontrollable, and blow anything bigger than a small hang-glider out of the sky at like 100 meters.

This is background information that Kovacs knows and isn’t plot revealing, but it’s not all written down till the third book, so I’m spoilering it to be safe:

They have six‐seat helicopters. Any flying machine larger than that is guaranteed to be taken out.

You can still lose smaller craft by exceeding the speed and/or altitude limit. I think hang‐gliding would be impossible for that reason—certain prisoners are executed by strapping them to jetpacks and lighting the engines.

At least one of the defence satellites doesn’t work, creating a launch/landing window once per day (over the equator, I think), which is how the colony barges were able to set down at all.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Gyges posted:

They most likely changed the Quellists to Envoys because Quellist sounds way, way, way more ridiculous when said out loud than Envoy.

Solution: don’t worry about how “Quellist” sounds because it hardly comes up in the first book.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I think Ascertainment is mostly for the emotional wellbeing of the friends and family.

If well‐heeled interests wanted to impersonate your friend, they would use a clone or just do a little grand theft sleeve and never be subject to the heightened scrutiny a new sleeve would get.

If they needed to know answers to obscure personal questions, they could throw your loved one into virtual and torture the answers out.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Young Freud posted:

gently caress YES.

Wouldn't this also be more in line with Kovacs' sleeve in "Broken Angels"?

Yes.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Poe isn’t uptight.

Gotta be Angel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Something I came across today:

Bancroft’s telescope was made by a custom telescope builder.

It lacked glass.

• Locked thread